Seedy Flapjacks – help

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Carolg
    on

Seedy Flapjacks from the recipe book.
    Taste amazing, but mine are so crumbly I cannot cut them at all. Weighed everything carefully and followed recipe instructions.
    I’ll put them in a tub and have a dessert spoonful as the portion size. Will be brilliant over yoghurt, or stick a spoonful on a saucer and nibble – yummm!

Any ideas where I have gone wrong?

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Carolg,
    I also had the same result with these flapjacks – someone else posted a similar message a little while ago, so I doubt it is anything you did. They tasted fine but mine certainly didn’t look as cleanly cut as in the photo in the book! My pet theory is that with traditional flapjacks which have butter, sugar & golden syrup all melted into a nice gooey mess there is no problem with things sticking together. I think this recipe relies on the coconut oil & the juice from the blueberries(or figs) & soft dates to do the same job.

The dates I had were possibly a bit too dry. Also, I don’t have a food processor so probably didn’t blitz the ingredients quite enough to release the juices. When I make these again I think I might add in a little melted butter to the mixture…

They didn’t go to waste, still very scoffable!. Good idea of yours to sprinkle over yoghurt.

• posted by FatCat
    on

I haven’t seen this recipe, but there’s a lovely nut and seed granola bar (‘Low carb granola bar’) recipe on the Diet Doctor website. It has eggs and coconut oil to bind it.
    As this is my second recommendation of recipes from this site, I’d better say that I have no vested interest in the site!!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi again, Carolg,
    I made another batch of the seedy flapjacks yesterday – much more successful. What did I do differently????

First time round I used figs (the suggested alternative to blueberries) – this time round I used blueberries. I bought different dates – these were much softer/juicier than the ones I used originally. Since it was cold my coconut oil was pretty solid so I blasted the oil, blueberries & dates in the microwave – when I blitzed with my hand blender I ended up with a much more liquid mixture than previously. I reckon the blueberries were just juicier than the figs I used previously. I also didn’t put in quite as many chopped nuts as the recipe said to use. The mixture I poured into the tin was much more moist than the original one & once cooked & thoroughly cooled the end result is considerably less crumbly than my first attempt, in fact, just like flapjack.

Hope you achieve success when you next make them!
    Regards,
    Rose

Please log in or register to post a reply.