School lunches

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AstridR
    on

Hi
    I have two kids – 10 and 6 at school. And I’m really struggling with putting something in the lunchbox for recess and lunch that isn’t loaded with hidden sugars and that they’ll eat! There’s a sandwich for lunch, sultanas, fruit, cheese and crackers – but if you add all that up its still got a fair bit of sugar. Any suggestions for a healthy school lunch that is quick & easy to pack in the morning (I’m a working mum and don’t have much time) and that the kids will actually eat (I have fussy eaters too!). Thanks

• posted by Natalie
    on

I really struggle with this too! I’ve managed to get treat-type foods to Friday only, they have fruit for recess most days. But lunch is harder. My daughter won’t eat sandwiches (she likes bread in any other form!) and we’ve tried cold chicken, sushi, cheese rolls (bread roll with cheese cooked on top by the bakery), she’ll like something for a while then get sick of it. My son has been happy with sandwiches this year but has suddenly gone off them. This week he has been having vegetable sticks with a little pot of dressing (he loves salad) and a few crackers (the kind you have with cheese, but he doesn’t like cheese). It seems pretty healthy but I don’t know how long it will last! And is it filling enough with no protein all day after cereal for breakfast? He is an active nine year old. He seems ok and doesn’t eat much in the afternoon but usually has a huge dinner then keeps asking for food until bedtime.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi AstridR,
    Some suggestions without knowing your children’s likes/dislikes: Carrot sticks/celery sticks with or without hommus or cream cheese.
    Berries when in season.
    I know that here most primary schools are nut free due to littlies with allergies, but nuts would be ideal. Seeds? A mixture of pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. ? boiled eggs (perfect the eggshell is their own package).
    You may find some ideas on various websites eg ditch the carbs/diet doctor.
    Maybe if forum members contribute their suggestions here before you know it you’ll have heaps of ideas.
    Good luck.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Since children do tend to run around a lot, especially during recess and after lunch, I think a banana, apple, mandarin orange, a few grapes … that type of thing is okay. They also might like some those small grape tomatoes, snow peas, sugar snap regular peas, or any other vegetables they like … those all have a satisfying crunch and some fresh sweetness … and fibre. I also like the individually wrapped portions of cheeses like cheddar cheese. If you can find a kind of cheese your children like you can wrap up individual portions your self. You also might try and find some low carb crackers and try different ones to see what is liked — crackers with flax seeds and honey and such like.

• posted by AstridR
    on

Thank you all so much for your replies – they’ve been great ideas and I’m going to try a few and see how we go! 🙂

• posted by Timmy
    on

A typical lunchbox for kids would be a sandwich (either butter and marmite or cheese and pickle), a full fat yoghurt, and fruit pot (chopped up fruit), an apple, a banana and something like a flapjack or homemade cupcake.

Sure there sugar in it, but all 3 of my kids are so active I tend not to over stress. When they’re at home they eat med style, none of them really eat much sweets at all so the levels of carbs they are eating is probably spot on. In fact, I was telling my boy yesterday that most kids eat most of the trick or treat sweets on halloween, and don’t eke them out until Christmas like mine do. He looked at me like I was mental, and told he would throw up if he ate that many.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Usually when i picked lunches to take to work for myself i just threw in any piece of fruit etc. that was handy.

Everyone eats with the eye first …. how about picking out the nicest biggest juiciest piece of fruit … or whatever food item? And vary them.

There are also so many crackers, cheeses, etc. Pick out some pretty ones with interesting new tastes. Love those Babydel cheese … comes in its own colorful wrapper!!

Put in a single candy, or chocolate, or cookie, a cinnamon heart or 3, … sure it’s sugar but a teeny treat … is like a little bit of luxury.

Please log in or register to post a reply.