Saying "Hello"

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by misssay
    on

Hi. Today is day 1 of week 2. I’m not diabetic, but I do have over 8 stone to lose. My husband is T2, and we know that lower carb eating helps with his BS levels, although he doesn’t need to lose more than about 10lbs. I’m looking for the quick losses, and he is looking for the BS control, so hopefully we will both be happy! We’re enjoying the food so far. The only times I have been hungry is a couple of evenings, when it is time to eat anyway, and on Saturday night, when (by prior agreement!) we had some ‘ordinary’ pancakes. I was starving within about an hour. Should’ve known better really, as I have a sensitivity to wheat, so I paid double the price!

Evening meals have been: Stuffed Mushrooms, Ginger Pork Stir Fry, Mince Stuffed Aubergines, Garlic Chicken and Lime Stir Fry, Salmon with Spiced Orange Sauce, all with a variety of veg, the Pancakes (oops) and a Valentine’s Dinner of Steak with Peppercorn Sauce, Garlic Mushrooms, Peas and Tomatoes, followed by Spicy Poached Pear with Crème Fraiche. I made a home-made Ginger and Lime ‘Syrup’ with a little xylitol, to add to fizzy water for a treat drink to go with it. OK, it wasn’t quite wine, but it was a bit more special than water!

I haven’t done many of the book recipes as I have been using what we have in the cupboard/freezer and making what I know we will like, but I have just had the Poached Egg and Salmon Stack from the book for lunch, minus the pine-nuts. Very tasty!

This seems a very friendly forum, so I am looking forward to getting to know some of you.

(Should say at weigh in this morning I have lost 7lbs, so very happy with that. It may be mainly water weight, but it’s my (ex) water weight!)

• posted by Jo51
    on

Hi Missay,
    I’m also starting week 2……9lbs loss which I’m incredibly pleased with!
    I’m not diabetic but do have high blood pressure and high cholesterol so it was quite possibly the next step, but not if I manage to stick to this!
    I found it very easy to stick to and even though I’m the only one in the household that needs to lose weight my family have eaten the same food but with more carbs.
    I’d like to lose at least 2 stone, but the reality is that it’s probably 4 that I should lose……I’m 5’5″ and now weigh 13stone 8lb.
    Some of my meals have been the veg curry with cauliflower rice, yummy! Also the foil wrapped fish, turkey burgers. Lunches have been the tuna and avocado, chorizo and chickpea soup, really delicious and no carb plough mans. Breakfast I found a bit trickier but have enjoyed the mushroom dishes with both cheese and eggs, also the various fruit/yoghurt options. Lots still to try.
    Keep me updated with your progress.
    Lots of luck.

• posted by liveinhope
    on

Hi, Day 1 of week 1. Thanks for posting recipes and what tastes and works for you. Fortunately I like most foods (maybe my problem in 1st place) I agree Forum is very positive and supportive. Determination, positivity, planning ahead and support from family and friends is crucial. Quitters Never Win and Winners Never Quit. Al the Best Mark

• posted by misssay
    on

Hi Jo,
    Well done on a 9lb loss – that’s great! Did you like the cauliflower rice part of the curry meal? I have tried cauli mash in the past, but am not too keen. We are planning on trying the cauli rice in the book’s Kedgeree recipe this week. Hopefully with plenty of spices and the strong taste of the mackerel it will be OK. I’m pretty boring with my breakfasts – greek yogurt with blueberries for most of last week, but I am on holiday this week, so I’ll probably try a few different choices.

Hi Liveinhope/Mark
    Thanks for the welcome. Hope your first day is going well.

• posted by Jo51
    on

Hi Missay,

I really enjoyed the cauliflower rice, it takes a fair bit of seasoning but worked really well with the veggie curry. Trying the chicken with basil and pine nuts tonight with steamed courgette and asparagus. Also making another batch of soup……makes it easier if you know you have things ” in the bag” so to speak! The kedgeree sounds good.
    All of the breakfasts I’ve tried have kept me going until lunchtime, far better than my normal breakfast of porridge!

• posted by misssay
    on

I love making soup, but then often find once it is made, I don’t fancy eating it when meal time comes along. I suppose I am just weird! I am considering have smoked basa fillet with the cauliflower kedgeree tonight, instead of the smoked mackerel, as then it will seem a bit more like a real kedgeree to me. I’ve just finished half an hour of low impact cardio. I walk quite a bit, including to and from work, but as I am on holiday this week, I thought it would be a good time to start something more structured. 15 minutes in I though she (in the video) would quite possibly kill me, but by keeping going found another burst of energy, so it wasn’t too bad by the end! Off for a shower and to clean the bathroom now. Judging by the state of my bathroom at the moment, that will be a workout in itself!

Hope you have a good day

• posted by Sandy44
    on

Hi Everyone
    I am day one of week 2 and still feeling positive. Lost 5.5 lbs the first week, so feel really pleased. The forums are inspiring !
    I made cauli rice last week and was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it ! Tomorrow I am going to marinade a chicken breast in yogurt and tikka spice, then make kebabs.
    I also made egg and ham muffins on Saturday as I worked a 10 hour day and knew that I would need to have protein snacks. They were delicious and really filling.
    Good luck everyone and I look forward to hearing how you all get on.

• posted by peculiajewel
    on

Hello everyone… I am 6ft tall and weigh in at 15.5 stone. Very unhappy with my weight. Suffering depression. I have polycystic ovaries and I suspect Sydrome X (Insulin Resistance) and struggle with tiredness all the time. I really like the concept of eating whole healthy foods rather than faddish. Bit concerned about coping with urge to eat and restricted calories but keep reading stuff that makes it sound very doable with a little bit of planning and healthy shopping.

Anyone have any tips?

Good luck everyone

Julia

• posted by misssay
    on

Hi Sandy
    Well done on your first week loss and good luck with week 2. It looks like I may enjoy cauli rice more than cauli mash!

Hi Julia,
    I’m not an expert by any means, as I’m only on week 2 myself, but I would say my top tips are to try and include some protein and healthy fats at every meal (I have veggies with lunch and evening meal, but not often with breakfast, as they don’t go too well with greek yogurt!) I haven’t been hungry between meals, but if I had been I probably would have a protein-y snack, like a slice of meat, a small piece of cheese, or some hummus with carrot or pepper strips to dip. Top, top, top tip: drink plenty of water.

I also dip into the book every evening to re-read something or look at recipes, as it is so easy to forget bits and pieces of info from it. Mind you, that may be my age!

Best of luck.

• posted by auntylil
    on

Hello Julia – I’m on 2nd day of 2nd week so learning from the book as I go along and from the supportive people on this forum. Aside from all the info about food, drink and exercise I would say that rewarding myself on completing the first week gave me a buzz – only a few very cheap cds and a book off the internet but I needed to do something. Perhaps a manicure or a bunch of flowers would do it for you. Today I said hello to a tramp sitting on a bench (he was very drunk) and when I passed him again on the way home a lady from a charity shop had just popped out to give him a sleeping bag. I think perhaps normally I may not have even noticed, so that told me I’m beginning to be a bit less miserable about myself.

• posted by misssay
    on

Wow! The cauliflower rice kedgeree was amazing. I will definitely be making the cauli rice again. We were so impressed, and are now looking forward to having it with a curry or in a risotto (cauliotto?)

Please log in or register to post a reply.