Saved by the b – anana ????

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Was tailrunner at Parkrun this morning so walked the 5K instead of running it – fueled by a Greek yoghurt and a few blueberries.

Had lunch, vegetable soup maybe 120 cals.

Headed off to hike a local trail to a peak 660m, 7K hike there 7K hike back, reached the bottom of the last very steep ascent to the summit and felt weak, dizzy (I don’t like heights either so turning around wasn’t helping), just completely out of fuel. I would reckon at the time my BP was low and my BG may have been near hypo levels.

So I pulled a banana out of my bag and ate it, and in 10 minutes I was re-energised and carried on with the walk with a lot more energy.

I know it was carby etc, but it may have stopped me having to get flown off the bogland by rescue helicopter!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Ziggy
    You are clearly one of those athletic types which is a label no one would ever assign to me! However, I have been watching some interesting videos on dietdoctor.com about using fat for fuel for exercise rather than carbs. Today you had greek yoghurt, berries, veg soup and a banana. Are you vegetarian or is it just the way it turned out? If you do eat meat, I would encourage you to eat bacon, sausage and eggs or just the eggs if you don’t eat meat. Cook them in butter and add some cheese. There is often a lot of discussion in the forums about how to do this program and exercise a lot but it seems to me that the answer is to keep the carbs low but the protein moderate and the fat high. But I am glad that you didn’t have to be rescued by the helicopter!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Hi Janet1973

I am a vegetarian. That was the third yoghurt I’ve ever had – all taken since starting this diet. I do get protein from eggs, quorn and a lot of stuff. It’s just that I have diabetes Type 2 and even Type 2 people can hypo!
    I’ve been low carbing for 6 years, but it was slipping a bit. Plus, even though all my last 12 six monthly HbA1c tests have been in the normal range – I would rather like to ‘reverse’ this condition.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Wow ZIGGY youre very active! Respect!
    The most activity i get is jumping to conclusions! No i do try to do some each day but nothing like you do..maybe one day eh!
    we try to avoid too much fruit but in this situation, i think it was a wise decision wasnt it in the circs..you may have needed some potassium ..bananas are full of goodness ..its a shame we cant have more of them!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

And full of sugar too!!

So Ziggy, you are successfully low carbing but are you high fatting? I don’t have diabetes myself in any form but Jason Fung is an excellent source of info on reversing diabetes, he has a website and has wrote a book, ‘the obesity code’

• posted by Ziggy
    on

If you don’t have diabetes then I can’t understand why you are you doing a blood sugar fast diet which is designed to remove visceral fat in a short space of time, anything else e.g. weight loss is a happy by-product? I joined the forum expecting to find people with diabetes trying to reverse their condition and instead find a lot of other people who are not using the diet for what it was originally intended.

I am not high fatting on this diet as on high fat meal would use up all my carbs for the day. I am getting fat from cream, and other things. A lot of users of this site are quoting things which are not in the BSD book, I’ll keep with the next four weeks as I have been going and then if it has failed will look at other options. And, I do know about LCHF, and used it for a good few years. 9-)

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Ziggy
    I do eat fish and meat, but even following BSD, I don’t want them every day – I do find it’s my veggie days where the carbs seem to creep up, so it must be challenging to manage planning a vegetarian diet every day – well done.
    I think that people posting on the forums are following the diet for lots of reasons (beside the obvious one of wanting to lose weight). Many are diabetic, others want to find a lifestyle that is likely to help them steer away from getting to that point, particularly if they have relatives with diabetes, or other factors that increase their propensity to get diabetes.
    If I’d come across BSD before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I’d probably have given it a try – let’s face it if anyone has spent years of yoyo dieting, and/or trying to stick to something where the aim is to lose a measly couple of pounds a month that mean you’re looking at years to get to your target, the results that can be achieved with BSD are truly amazing.
    I think the forums are brilliant, and used by many generous, fun and supportive posters – I hope that you continue to find the forum useful, even if you come across people that don’t share your aims and targets.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Jason Fung says
    “In your opinion when to say type 2 dietetes is “reversed”, at what blood glucose numbers?
    I consider diabetes to be reversed when you are taking no medication and able to maintain an A1C of less than 6%.”

Well then according to him, I have reversed my diabetes over 5 years ago.

@frog I appreciate that a lot of people see the side effects (weight loss) of the diat as the main reason to do it, and I don’t blame them, and hope they all achieve their targets. For all the sorts of diabetics, from pre-diabetes, Type 1 who want to reduce insulin usage, Type 2 who want to reverse it, and the other sorts of Diabetes, I’m seeing this diet as something which, even if it doesn’t work, is only going to take me 8 weeks, and will leave me with lower BP, lower BGs, lower weight – so is a pretty good result even if it fails.

I am enjoying the forum. The success stories of such a variety of posters are so motivational and uplifting as is seeing the help and advice given to people who need a bit of support. Whilst I do see a lot of people stating things which are not advised or are not recommended in MM’s book, I will just just take those with a pinch of salt.

Thanks for you reply Frog, maybe I was coming on a bit strong – if so, sorry.

Keep on losing visceral fat folks (and all the other kinds of fat)

• posted by Frog
    on

No worries – easy to misinterpret the tone of postings sometimes (especially if tired or craving chocolate/sugar/glass of wine/whatever!) – we probably all do it from time to time!
    Glad that you’re enjoying the forums

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Ziggy
    I hold my hands up – I have strayed from Dr Mosley’s teachings into other philosophies -lchf, jason fung, dietdoctor.com, even atkins at the moment (just reading not doing for now). I found these other insights as a result of Dr mosley’s work and much of his work is work is based on this research. Dr Mosley does recommend eating more fat and intermittent fasting which are the main ways I have lost my weight.

Why do you think this diet should only be owned by people with t2d? If you’ve read around the forums you will know that it has been a life-changer for many overweight but otherwise healthy people who were in the last chance saloon as far as diets go. All the people in that category were/are probably carb sensitive so pre-diabetes would inevitably have caught up with us. Even if it didn’t, no other diet has kick-started me as effectively as this one has. I think probably what attracts people is the big red label on the book extolling how much weight you could lose in eight weeks so as far as the marketing goes, weight loss is not just a secondary benefit at all.

However, there are also a lot of posts about people who are not experiencing the weight loss they were expecting and I was also one of those. Which prompted me to explore and investigate further and find ways to make the diet work better for me. Some of Dr Mosley’s suggestions can be taken a little further to achieve better results.

I think I’ll stick to other forums that aren’t so precious. Good luck and enjoy your bananas!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

I’ll keep my stupid views to myself

Thanks and goodbye

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Ziggy, your view are as relevant as any one else I for one have learned something from you that I didn’t know (thanks for that web address).

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Just wanted to say to Ziggy – I am not Type 2 (though OH is) and started this because I felt I was out of control with what I was eating and thought that Type 2 could be on the horizon.

The questionnaires in the book suggested I was mildly carb addicted and I was unhappy about that too.

I didn’t have a lot of weight to lose as anyone reading my threads will know – but that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t important to lose that weight and reduce my visceral fat.

Reading the BSD led me to further research and that then to keeping carbs low. OH has followed me into the programme and has already managed BS results following which the doctor halved his Metformin – next test tomorrow and he has his fingers crossed it will be even better in establishing he is back in control and stop the tablets.

So I think that whilst I’m not what the BSD was designed for, and I’ve read around the subject and taken extra action, this is a forum which is very appropriate for me.

Those who are not type 2 but want to lose weight are very probably on their way to type 2. So the BSD is generally good for them too.

I’m very glad MM wrote such a simple plan and I am sure he is also pleased people are following up with other research.

Please log in or register to post a reply.