Sausages?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Does anybody eat sausages? i just fancy one today but not sure which are the best…

• posted by Timmy
    on

I loves a sausage. Best off going to a local butchers and get a high meat content one

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Thank you timmy…I never thought of that…and Ive just thought on,sausages have breadcrumbs in dont they??? No sausages for me then….its cold I want something meaty…..

• posted by Frog
    on

Not often, but had some for breakfast – a butcher in my sisters village makes wonderful ones without much added gunk, and hardly any fat – I prefer to oven cook sausages, and there’s never any fat running out – some supermarket ones leave a dish full of fat.

If you buy branded ones, read the label, and look for lowest carb options – or highest meat content ones. Gluten free is another indicator that carbs will be low, because they aren’t stuffed with wheat as a filler.

Good brands to look for:
    Heck that are 97% meat – 3.7g of carb for two sausages – they also have chicken varieties
    Black Farmer is only 1g of carb per 100g
    Debbie and Andrews Sausages are 97% pork, and less than half a gram of carb per 100g

by contrast, Waitrose essential sausages are 8.7g of carb (and only 65% pork)

And in looking at that, I have also learned that we are in the middle of National Sausage week!

Even within brands, some varieties will be higher than others – for example Waitrose pork and apple are high in comparison to others, presumably because of the carbs in the apple.

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Ooo thank you frog…you must be a professional sausage eater haha….perhaps I can have sausages….very strange how Im fancying them because before BSD I hardly ever cooked sausages…..
    Any body else having different cravings I wonder….

• posted by Frog
    on

I started eating baked beans that I rarely have normally
    – not brilliant BSD food, but I used to have them with egg for breakfast when I started – a more complex carb than having toast

I had a pot (a mini pot, two portions over two days!) a couple of weeks ago, but don’t fancy them often now.

Not a professional sausage eater, but stuck indoors with all the windows open while the paint dries, so not a lot I can do except mess around on the internet!

• posted by Timmy
    on

I think it’s rusk rather than breadcrumbs in sausage. I’m massively picky when it comes to sausages, and as a rule won’t ever eat one from the supermarket. My local village shop stocks sausages from a pig farmer a few miles up the road. The added awesomeness with this farmer is that he doesn’t use nitrites to cure his bacon or sausage meat, but uses the old traditional method of simply salting them.

His sausages are around 85-90% meat content which is spot on. If you get too high into the 90s they become a bit weird.

• posted by Frog
    on

I know what you mean about “too meaty” Timmy, and definitely like butchers ones from my sisters village.
    I haven’t tried their sausages, but we have tres posh butchers just along the road – that’s their main branch, but the second branch is in Selfridges.

The Debbie and Andrew ones are good, I’ve had those, as are most varieties of Black Farmer ones (there was a variety that I didn’t like, but I can’t remember which ones, not v helpful.)
    I don’t think I have tried the heck ones, but have seen people writing about them on here.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I’m working in Germany and just noted that the Bratwurst is 97% meat – very nice with salad and Sauerkraut. The ones that they have in either Aldi or Lidl (can’t remember which) have a high meat/low carb content.

On the radio at home we have a butchers that offers 100 sausages for a fiver – not sure about the content…..

• posted by Timmy
    on

Hmmm. 100 for a fiver? I think the content would be pig lips and 4r5eholes!

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Wow…great comments…SO I have bought HECK 97% pork shoulder….269cals per 2….3.7carbs.. protein 22……
    Cant wait to try them….roll on dinner,

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Yesterday there was a hunt in the field at the back of our house, shooting wild boar. This morning the president of the hunt came round with 2 kilos of meat. Might make some sausages or just marinade and make a stew. Yum yum.

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Ooo I have had wild boar sausages before they are deelish…..enjoy.

• posted by Iwanttobeslim
    on

I must say I love sausages, and always get the 97% meat ones, which along with fried eggs constitute a carb free breakfast. There is also a sausage shop in Graingers Market in Newcastle, but the carb count in all of them seems quite high.

However, I decided to wait until I have finished this eight week diet before I revert to low carb 5:2 regime. I take heart from the marshmallow effect – delayed gratification – and think to myself that I will forego sausages today in order to lose weight as effectively as possible during my BSD phase. And today, after only one week, I find a sweatshirt type hoodie, which was very, very snug last week is now really quite loose. Reward enough for me today.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Sunshine Girl
    A few years ago, a friend used to have a house in a small village in the south of France, and I/we stayed there a lot. One day I’d gone out walking, had probably gone further than I intended. I would have made it back, but was quite relieved when a villager I vaguely recognised stopped and offered me a lift. I got in the van, then realised he was moving a huge gun that was on the seat to make space for me.
    Slightly alarmed, but in and seated so awkward to get out, he then explained that he’d been hunting boar, and yep, dead boar in the back, would I like some? Declined – was veggie at the time, which out neighbours found even weirder than going for a twenty mile walk.

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Well I have eaten 3 HECK sausages and on this cold evening it was a deeeelish dinner….I can recommend the meatiness of these sausages and next to no carbs….fabulous…….I had mashed cauli,cabbage and sprouts…oh my it was heaven…..

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Boar? – go for a stroganoff. I had it in the Loire valley last January and made some with celeriac mash – fabulous, just don’t overcook the boar.

As an aside, Heck do chicken burgery-type things – they have no particular flavour and a strange unnatural texture – one to avoid IMO.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

There was a very large rib joint which is now in my freezer. The rest I have cubed and it has been sat in red wine and spices since yesterday. I will brown the meat, then put it back into the marinade for a long slow cooked boar stew.

• posted by Frog
    on

sounds tons nicer than sausages sunshine girl – enjoy!

Please log in or register to post a reply.