Salads

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JaneR
    on

I’m a big lover of salad. Not sure why one needs to measure lettuce as googling essentially says lettuce is zero calories. I mix all salad greens, some from our street community garden, rocket, cos, radicchio etc..so my salads are bigger than recipes say because the base is all greens….

• posted by Flash21
    on

I never measure lettuce or most other salad items!!

• posted by LindaA
    on

All the ingredients in salads have carbs, you’ve got to keep your carbs to no more than 50g per day and you’ll be very surprised what contains carbs and how much. Measure, weigh and record EVERYTHING. I used the app EasyDietaDiary, not sure if you can download this outside of Australia, but I know a lot of the others used MyFitnessPal.
    On the weeks that I kept my carbs low, but went over on calories, I still lost weight, on the weeks where my carbs went much over 50g/day, I struggled.
    Cheers
    Linda
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Lara
    on

Agree 100% with LindaA. I was amazed by how the carbs in salad ingredients all start adding up! I definitely weigh and measure everything 🙂

• posted by Flash21
    on

Ahhh in that case, that could be contributing to where I’m going wrong. I WILL measure!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

It is not so much salada like lettuce, but cucumber or tomatoes when you start to carbs and calories. Since starting this diet I have rarely had a traditional lettuce salad and most of mine are made with either spinach or courgette, so again, carbs and calories. I think the idea is to check everything and then you don’t get caught out.

• posted by JaneR
    on

I’m just talking about leafy greens, lettuce, rocket, radicchio, cos, mustard greens, etc only, not carrots, cucumber, zucchini, tomatoes etc. But thank you for replies.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Even leafy greens have carbs and they can add up. A single 85 gram leaf of Romaine is 15 calories and 1 net gram carbs (sugar). Three ounces of arugula is 20 calories and 2 net grams carbs, both sugar. Radicchio is 23 calories and 4 grams net carbs (1 sugar) per 100 grams. A cup of mustard greens will run you 15 calories and 1 gram carbs (sugar).

I used to make a salads out of whole heads of Romaine. Not anymore. My top limit now is six leaves per serving. It might behoove you to at least do an accurate weigh and tally of one of your mixed salads just so you have a concrete calculation to go by.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Well … i measure roughly…. but i was surprised when i read the label on just plain packaged spinach. As for salads that have additional ingredients and dressing …. well back up the truck on how bad some of them are for calories and carbs.
    I am not exact but i do count something towards calories and carbs.

Please log in or register to post a reply.