Salad lunches / quick lunches on BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Liverpooldawn
    on

Hi, I’m about to start the BSD on Monday for the first time and am currently planning lunches. I need quick packed lunches I can take into work with me. I have some recipes which I will make before hand but with salads… what dressings would you recommend? Also how much cooked chicken would be a reasonable amount for a lunch? And presuming can go for all the salad veg? Thanks for your help

• posted by caronl
    on

hi Liverpooldawn (like the name!).
    I have bumped up a thread on salads and dressings, which will give you some ideas. You can also search on this site, and will probably find more. I tend to stick with lemon juice olive oil and sea salt, but there are other good ideas out there. I quite often cook some savoury muffins/crustless mini-quiches for lunches on the go. They freeze well and you can vary the ingredients easily. Somewhere on here you can also find a suggestion for very thin egg omelettes to use as wraps.

Re ingredients, it depends how strict you are being on carbs. Most green above ground veg are fine. I like cold green beans in the mix for example – nice and filling. And it is worth adding some protein – tuna/egg/feta for example to give a more satisfying meal. But best to avoid tomatoes, onions and peas. A good source for ideas and recipes in dietdoctor.com – see for example https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/salads.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi liverpooldawn, caronl is right, best to go for leafy above ground veggies, but it’s okay to add in other veg as long as you check the carb content, as it is surprising where these lurk. Re: how much chicken would be reasonable for lunch, you’ll probably find if you chop it up that with salad and dressing, you’ll only need 50g or so. Really, it depends how you want to split your daily allowance though. For instance, as if you plan to skip breakfast, you’ll be able to be more generous at lunchtime.

Cloud bread works well with a filling for lunch and you can make in advance and store in the fridge, ready to go.

Have a good dig around on the website and I’m sure you will find other ideas too. Best wishes to you for every success.

• posted by Liverpooldawn
    on

Thanks for your responses. I’ve made some beetroot falafels for lunches and got some ideas off here. Here goes!

Please log in or register to post a reply.