SALAD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by mactuan12
    on

Hi
    Can any one recommend an easy to make and low cal homemade salad dressing? Im on the second week of the diet, and I am thinking that salad every lunch is a good way to go. Also how many calories/carbs would you say is in an average salad? A good size, containing mixed leaves, cucumber, red onion and red pepper. I have tried to estimate it and think about 30cal, does anyone think that is about right or not? Trying to get back on the saddle after completely falling off the wagon on Saturday night. Feeling determined but disappointed that i mucked it up. One word, Guiness and lots of it

• posted by Gattina
    on

Hi Mactuan12 – I always stick to a basic vinaigrette made with 1 tspn olive oil, vinegar and salt. You can then add any flavour you like to it such as herbs or spices such as chilli or mustard depending on your own taste. I use my fitness pal (mfp) to work out calories and carbs – my basic salad is 80 calories with 3.6 g of carbs made up of sweet gem lettuce, cucumber celery and salad dressing. I add extra veg or a protein and just add that in mfp to get the calorie and carb totals.
    If you do a search for salad dressings on this site there are a few recipes scattered in old posts which might be helpful. Good luck, enjoy your salad lunch and watch that guiness 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Mactuan, a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt can be amazingly effective.

• posted by Squidge
    on

If you have a blender you could make mayonnaise. For a change add crushed garlic.

Full fat yoghurt blended with blue cheese would be a tangy dressing, or for less calories use chopped herbs instead of the cheese.

Please log in or register to post a reply.