RYE BREAD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by monkey
    on

Hi if I feel like the odd slice of rye bread – the dark variety – say once or twice a week – is that ok ?

sometimes when I feel like I a biscuit and I have had my share of fruit and veg – it keeps me going for a lot longer in the day..

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I think one of the best things about the bsd is that there are no real deadly sins. Dr Mosley seems to be quite a kind guru in that I have often heard him say that the odd bit of something will not harm. So the odd bit of chocolate, the odd bit of bread, etc, so long as it really is quite a rare occurrence. The important thing is not to view that little stray as an excuse to have a pity party and pull all the wheels off the wagon.

I’m no expert but I’d suggest there’s a couple of things you could look at to decide whether to have it or not. Do you have a blood sugar tester? If so, test your blood two hours after eating your rye bread and see if it raises your sugar level beyond what is acceptable. If it does, then you know there are good health reasons to avoid it, if it doesn’t then you can enjoy some when you want to. You will want to check the calorie count and make sure that you can make room for it in your 800 calories.

Even if you can’t make room for it, you may decide to keep it as a real treat every once in a while. I have just finished reading an article on this website about mindfully eating cake and drinking coffee so maybe you could substitute the cake for bread and eat it in a mindful way.

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

Good post Janet1973 i love a bit of Rye bread.

• posted by Steve and Ei
    on

Have you tried Lidl “high protein” (ie low carb) rolls. Triangular , dark brown, stuffed full of linseeds, coated in sunflower seeds. Had some quite good BG results eating these before I started BSD diet. Might return to them later (and test again).

• posted by Niffer
    on

My husband makes his own bread and I am trying to work out if he can make a low GI bread that I could occasionaly have, maybe on a Saturday. He loves making bread and I actually feel guilty stopping him from his much loved hobby.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

• posted by Steve and Ei
    on

We now have a bread making machine languishing at the back of a cupboard after being a daily use for 6 years. I used to make full wholemeal, on nurses advice, until I actually tested!
    I miss the smell in the morning, but the lower blood results are welcome.
    Some ideas of recipes for a low carb bread would be welcome for after the 8 weeks. Something on the lines of Burgen, or Lidl high protein rolls. Loads of linseeds etc. but some flour replacement might be necessary.

• posted by EIM
    on

If you don’t mind making the bread yourself, I can recommend a genius recipe which works delicious and is super healthy at the same time. I found the original in the book YumUniverse by Heather Crosby then slightly adapted it depending on what ingredients I had available at the time:
    1/2 cup sesame seeds
    1 cup rolled oats (certified gluten free in necessary)
    1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
    1/2 sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup almonds
    1/2 cup chickpea flour (Besan works well, available in the Indian section of a known supermarket)
    1/2 cup poppy seeds
    1/2 cup ground flax seeds
    1 tsp salt
    2 tbs coconut or olive oil
    2 cups water

Method:
    Preheat the oven to 325F, prepare two baking sheets. Place the sesame seeds, oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and almonds and toast them on the oven for up to 10min. Transfer to a large bowl.

Add all remaining ingredients, mix well, cover and let sit 10-12 hrs – best overnight.

When ready, preheat the oven to 325F, line a loaf baking tin with parchment paper allowing the top edge of the paper to exceed the edge of the tin by an inch. so you can lift it easily out later.

The mixture will be very firm. Transfer it to the baking tin and using a wet spoon, a spatula or even year hands, press the mixture into the loaf tin.

Bake for 30 minutes, remove from the oven. Lift the loaf out and onto a baking tray. Now, flip the bread over tucking in the 0.5 inch of paper on each side underneath. Bake for another 45 min. Allow to cool and enjoy. This is incredible.

I have found yet another version of the same bread on a different blog – just have a look at the photos:
    http://ohsheglows.com/2014/11/12/heathers-toasted-super-seed-power-bread-from-yum-universe-vegan-gf/

• posted by EIM
    on

It looks like I am not allowed to attached the link so you have to take my word for it.

• posted by malkay
    on

Thank you very much for this. It looks really interesting – and full of goodness. Just put my mixture to soak. Will let you know tomorrow how it’s gone! Really looking forward to a ‘carby’ substitute. If you use coconut oil, do you melt it first, and if so, doesn’t it set again when left to soak?

• posted by malkay
    on

Well….. WOW!! Just tucked in to 2 slices of this delicious loaf with humous for lunch. It is lovely. Thank you very much, I know this is a recipe I will make again and again. It was very easy, but I did have to adjust the cooking time (down) quite significantly for my oven. My only concern at the moment is that I have no idea how many calories per slice it is, and I suspect quite a lot as it is so nutrient dense. But low in carbs! Thanks again for sharing.

• posted by Cazzowary
    on

If you’re in Australia, this is a good dark bread to try- I love it and you can get it from most IGA/Foodlands and comes in at about 2.5 grams of carbs and low GI

http://www.hermanbrot.com.au/

• posted by EIM
    on

Hi Malkay! I’m glad the recipe worked and you liked it. To be honest I haven’t counted the calories, I will try next time I make this utterly delicious bread. I assume it will be high in calories but it is very nutrient dense. It is very filling and a couple of slices go a long way. It completely changes the way I look at bread – you simply enjoy every crunchy mouthful and you know you are not feeding your body rubbish. To answer your question – yes, the coconut oil needs to be melted but olive oil works just as well 🙂

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Great tip Cazzowary. I’m really missing bread so I followed that link. So happy to find it’s sold fairly near to me. I’m going to grab some today. Yay!!!

• posted by Cazzowary
    on

Happy to have been of assistance Cherrianne :0

• posted by Newt2
    on

Found a link for a rather wonderful looking YumUniverse bread recipe which seems very similar to EIMs post above, and gives the following nutritional info for carb and calorie counting…….Nutritional info (per slice, based on 14 slices per loaf): 157 cals, 10.5 g fat, 130 mg sodium, 10.9 g carbs, 4.6 g fibre, 1.5 g sugar, 6.1 g protein

Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/11/12/heathers-toasted-super-seed-power-bread-from-yum-universe-vegan-gf/#ixzz40HSdn4xd

• posted by EIM
    on

Hi Newt2! That is the bread in question with slight alterations – thank you! I made it again yesterday as I promised malkay the calorie break down. So here it is – values as per the amounts used in my recipe above:
    Sesame seeds:422cal; oats:373cal; pumpkin seeds:390cal; almonds:448cal; sunflower seeds:208cal; chickpea flower:235cal; poppy seeds:362cal; chia seeds:199cal; linseed:310cal; olive oil:270cal.
    The loaf weighed 930g after baking – 3,235cal which works out 347cal per100g or 128cal per 37g slice. It doesn’t seem too bad as one store-bought gluten free bread lists a 36g slice as having 97 cal ( far more carbs and far less nutritional value). Hope this helps.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Anyone in Australia who is missing bread should rush out and buy some of the Herman Brot low carb bread! Tried some today, it’s not cheap at over $6 a loaf but I figure I’m worth it. It is dark, dense, moist, full of seeds, and delicious. I only needed one slice with cheese and tomato.
    Really on a par with my fave breads. So low in carbs and available in nearly every Foodland/ IGA.
    Thanks again Cazzowary for putting up the link.

• posted by malkay
    on

Thank you EIM and Newt2 for those nutritional values. It’s quite calorific, as I had suspected. However, my slices are just under 120 grams, so slightly less. And they are very satisfying, but I could still eat lots as its so good!

• posted by donnayk
    on

There is a dark rye bread in the low carb section of the Elana’s pantry website plus a few other breads. I haven’t yet tried any of them though.

Please log in or register to post a reply.