Running

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LordSutch
    on

There is a lot of information in the forum about running, however im yet to find an answer to my specific question.
    I am almost a week into eating a vastly reduced carb diet and really enjoying the gains (or losses!), eg this am i had an omlette and lunch i had a salad, ive snacked on a few nuts throughout the day. I strongly suspect i am not fat adapted. However tonight is run club, a hilly 10k, which im a little anxious about as ive really cut down on the carbs recently. My intention is to eat some carbs (leftover brown rice and kydney bean chilli) about 90 mins before hand to avoid the dreaded bonk and feeling awful mid run and holding everyone up should i feel to weak to run.

Is this a good idea? By eating this will i reverse any fat adaption my body may have already started to embrace? I have been taking electrolytes daily and i might have a double dose today.

Thanks in advance

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hi LordSutch,
    I think there is a bit of experimenting required to find what works for you, but dont be anxious about it, be open to finding out about your own body.
    I run quite a lot and although sometimes i feel i need extra calories i find i can manage fine on low carb and have never eaten rice etc to fuel a run. On the occasion i have experimented and had some oats a couple of hours beforehand i have felt no benefit for it. I like to run fasted with a coffee about an hour before i run (less if its an early one like today) I have run half marathons and a number of 15kms starting at about 10am having only had coffee at 8am and having had a low carb dinner the night before. Best runs i have, feel great on them!
    The only times i have felt rotten running was after an extended fast. For example, eating dinner on Thursday evening, not eating on Friday, having breakfast on Saturday and then going for a run. Interestingly running on the friday 20 hours fasted was fine, but running the follow day was awful. I do however think this was an electrolyte thing.

You are doing the right thing with the electrolytes, dont fear trying the run on no carbs, if its stressing you, take a banana with you so if you feel lousy you can have that as a boost. Give it a go and see how you feel. Try just having a small portion of chilli and no rice….. I think you need to give these things a go to see – you might find you feel amazing for it. I’m sure folk will understand if your finding it tough.
    Once you are fat adapted it should be easier to run…..

• posted by LordSutch
    on

Thank you for the reply!

• posted by LordSutch
    on

So i went for the run after eating a smaller portion than anticipated and i felt fine during the run. The pace wasn’t fast however. I ate some blueberries and had a shake (beef isolate – no carbs and oatmilk – i try to avoid lactose). I didn’t sleep great last night, but this morning i feel like im exhausted and my legs have done a considerable workout, a workout much more atkin to a much tougher longer faster run. I assume this is because my body still is craving the carbs for the recovery?

• posted by freester
    on

LordSutch I commented on your previous thread.

Personally I wouldn’t have considered doing any kind of competitive cycling in the early few weeks of 800 cals. As I said I felt really tired like I’d done 40 miles on the bike before I got on. Sounds like you have that – post ride.

It takes time for your body to adapt to fat burning. I started feeling normal on my bike about 3 months after I started this WoE. I time trial (10M and 25M) so a max of just over an hour and no longer carb load before or use gels etc during. For longer rides I’ll just use some nuts, seedy flapjacks (from the recipe book) and raisins for fuel.

I also posted a link to Dave Brailsford’s diet and thoughts on a low carb way of eating on your previous post.

Please log in or register to post a reply.