Root vegetables.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cuffsue
    on

I have decided to do the BSD after losing two stones in weight following a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes in November. My blood glucose is down to nearly normal and I’m controlling it with diet alone after coming off medication. So feeling pleased with myself but still want to continue on a sensible diet to maintain bs levels. Please can you tell me if my favourite root vegetables such as butternut squash, sweet potatoes, etc are okay to add into the blood sugar diet? Or are they too calorific?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Cuffsue

Its not so much the calories in root veg but the carbs that are the issue. Dr Mosley would probably say use them in moderation. But if you decide to count carbs (and there is no compulsion to do so) you would probably want to replace below the ground veg with above the ground veg.

• posted by Catgirl
    on

Hi cuff sue, I found a fabulous guide on the diet doctor site about how many carbs in veg, essentially things that grow above the ground are fine but those that grow below have about 3 times more carbs, Eg sweet potatoes 17g per100g v’s cabbage at about3g, try the site as it was a revelation for me

Please log in or register to post a reply.