Restart!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Wishbone
    on

Hi all, I fell off the wagon about two weeks ago, in the form of swigging copious amounts of wine. Funny that I stuck rigidly to the food component but the liquid diet stalled all weight loss for the last couple of weeks. Been under huge stress at work (hence the Chardonnay crutch) and I can’t see that changing in the near future, but I’m determined to get back on track. 5kg lost in eight weeks, with another 10 to go before I’m back in my healthy weight range. I’m going to start again from today, with the plan to be out of the house during happy hour, either walking the dog or reacquainting myself with the treadmill (once I dust it off). I’m worried that any particularly nasty day at work will have me practically inhaling a glass or three of wine, it seems to be my only method of unwinding. I have tried meditation and so on, but the brain just won’t switch off, so I sedate it. Very frustrating! Needless to say, I will be hanging around the forum and soaking up the inspiration.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Best suggestion…. don’t buy wine! Do whatever you can to make getting wine difficult.

Every time you want wine (how much do you spend on a bottle?) put the cash in a jar instead and watch it mount up. Think of what you will treat yourself to with the money instead! Either in small amounts like a dvd or a funky hairclip – whatever makes you smile. Or let the cash build up for something more expensive. Spending time thinking about what you might save up for (a luxury yacht if you spend a lot lol) might help distract you.

Try something creative, Happylife was telling me the other day that painting, colouring etc uses both sides of the brain and helps with this sort of thing. You don’t have to be good at it, no one needs to see it.

Make a doodle board representing your hopes, dreams and aspirations?

• posted by Wishbone
    on

Thanks Izzy. Good plan, no vino in the house. I’ve stocked up on sparkling water and limes, and will enjoy it more as it’s guilt free😀

• posted by Mars
    on

Hi Wishbone, I’m starting again today too. I’ve been sort of trying to stick to 800cal for 3 weeks now & haven’t managed a single day! I haven’t been trying hard enough and when I get hungry in the evening after dinner, my brain goes into- eat every sweet item in the house- mode! Kids biscuits/ ice cream are my downfalls. So! Here I am and hope to keep in touch with the forum to keep the motivation up!

• posted by Dottyeel
    on

Hello Wishbone,

You said “I have tried meditation and so on, but the brain just won’t switch off”
    This is a very common misconception of what meditation is about. Meditation/mindfulness is about being able to take a step back and acknowledge the thoughts going round your mind but not to engage with them, to be able to be separate from them, to let them go. It’s not about ‘not thinking’.
    It takes time for the benefits of meditation/mindfulness to build and develop, just like learning a new way of eating or to start exercising – both of which we know are hard to start with but get easier with practice!
    Keep trying with the mindfulness, be that only 10 – 15 min a day and you will find your ability to cope with the negative or nagging thoughts significantly improved. That’s why it’s one of the three things MM suggests we do as part of the BSD, it helps us cope with the thoughts associated with the other two parts of the plan – eating and exercising.

• posted by Timmy
    on

Hi Wishbone,

Funnily enough I’ve done something really similar. I run a local community pub. The pub in our village has closed down so decided to open one in the village hall to raise money for the community. It’s going really well!

Unfortunately, it means that on Friday I was sorely tempted to have a couple of beers having watched all of my mates enjoy a few, so I succumbed. But I stuck religiously to the food part anyway. It stalled the loss, but just kept on going again after that.

I think the best lesson I’ve learned is, if you fall off the wagon, don’t think “Oh well I’ve ruined it now” and stay off. Best to think that never mind, I’ve had a blip, but I’m getting back on!

If you want to relieve stress, then exercise is probably the best thing for you. I had a job that was so stressful I would come out of work feeling dizzy. I’d go straight to the swimming pool and do 50 lengths and would come out of the pool feeling like a new man, all the stress wiped away. If I’m honest, getting into the pool was the last thing I felt like doing, but I knew I would feel so much better afterwards that I forced myself to do it.

• posted by Wishbone
    on

Thanks Dottyeel, I will keep up with the mindfulness. I think I may have been expecting some sort of Buddhist zen thang with the meditation. Little steps….Timmy, you’re right about the exercise. The stress wasn’t nearly as bad in summer when I could get in the pool and just float! Our local pool is under renovation at present so it’s just me and the dog, and long walks. iPod loaded up with tunes, so I’ll see how this goes.

• posted by pkd2004
    on

I fell off at half term after great start! I’m out tonight and then back on it. Not sure what the problem is – just find i comfort eat and almost ram it in without enjoying it. I did enjoy the feeling when i was in control. Must get head into right mental place to do it. Discovered a real love of spinach and made my first ever frittata so I’m learning new things, also had chicken korma with spinach instead of spaghetti – also nice! Good luck to all fresh starters!

• posted by Frog
    on

HI PKD2004
    Don’t go mad tonight (although if you do and have lots of really crap stuff, you’ll feel grotty and even keener to recommence BSD)
    Half term was at the start of June wasn’t it? – so not too long ago

good luck second time around – and frittata with spiralised courgette is great!

• posted by pkd2004
    on

Thanks frog – not too bad last night – only one wrap with fajitas – just ate yummy filling after that. did drink a bottle of prosecco which was lovely. off for a walk this morning with mild hangover! good luck to all restarters. must try spiralising

• posted by Frog
    on

Oh well – at least its a walk rather than back to bed with Asprin! Drink lots of water

• posted by pkd2004
    on

How you doing Wishbone – i’ve managed to get back on track – 4 days now so really pleased. Hope you are being as fortunate?
    Frog – hangover was very mild and i ended up doing two walks of 7 miles each so well exercised (lots of tea and water!)

• posted by Wishbone
    on

Hi pkd2004, not doing too badly. I’m just back from a four day work thing where we were stuck with sandwiches, sandwiches, and more sandwiches to choose from. I should have selected the gluten free option, may have gotten something with less carbs! After day one I had eggs and bacon every breakfast and fasted through to dinner where I chose fish or steak with loads of vegetable. Also a few sneaky wines with my peers (I tell myself it’s a fantastic networking opportunity…….). Anyway, got through it with no weight gain, and even lost a further .5kg the day I got home. Pretty happy with that! Looks like the wet weather has set in so my exercise is limited to indoor sports such as vacuuming, cleaning out the pantry, and reorganising the linen cupboard😊 This week will focus on mindfulness, and coming up with a cunning plan to take the four months leave my company owes me!

Please log in or register to post a reply.