Recommended Supermarket Foods that help with low carb eating

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by barby
    on

I have discovered these items in the supermarket, that really help my low carb eating, and are also very delicious. Any one else got suggestions?

Longley Farm Natural Cottage Cheese 250g £1.22 Asda
    nothing like the normal wet stuff, much thicker and creamier and dryer – you also don’t need much of it.Really different.
    100g is 104 cals/2.2 carbs available Asda & Sainsburys

Waitrose spinach falafels 2 packs for £4 atm
    Really tasty and one crumbled in a salad really lifts it. I got 8 in a pack, + can be frozen.
    Two falafels is 158 cals/ 7.9 carbs, but one is enough to boost a salad.

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ll look out for those, thanks Barby
    I can’t remember the last time I ate cottage cheese!

I cooked a huge bowl of rhubarb yesterday – it was a bit tart, so I added a flat teaspoon of stevia.
    Rhubarb is in season so in most supermarkets at the moment.
    100 grams is just 11 calories and 0.8g of carbs.
    It was delicious with a couple of teaspoons of yoghurt on top, and I’m going to have some with porridge too.

• posted by barby
    on

Hi Frog,

Great idea, I love rhubarb, must get some stevia and rhubarb today! My mouth is watering.

if you now eat full fat Greek yogurt, you know how different it is to the artificial tasting low fat yogurts? Very creamy, and no comparison..

Well, you’d see the same with the Longley Farm cottage cheese compared to normal stuff, it is rich and seems as if its naughty to eat!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Just harvested some lovely rhubarb from the garden.
    Guess what’s for pudding tonight 🙂

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Love rhubarb! So nice with some ginger in it too.

So far (only day 4 so hopefully will have loads more suggestions along the way!) I found radishes really good – just on their own, they are so nice. Maybe it’s because they’re a nice bright red colour and circular and remind me of sweets 😉 I bring some to work.

Also eating lots of sauerkraut – basically pickled cabbage but it’s delicious with fish and really filling and low in calories and high in fiber. We make our own but you can get in the supermarket too as long as not loads of extra stuff put in. (Myfitnesspal says it has high level of salt which might be bad for some people, though the homemade stuff doesn’t – it’s v easy to make, tutorials on youtube) Who knew cabbage was so delicious 😉

• posted by Frog
    on

I’m jealous Bill – when I finally move and have a garden, growing rhubarb is first on my list!

I love ginger with rhubarb too, but didn’t think I had any – this morning I spotted some of those tiny packets of ginger slices left over from ITSU sushi in the fridge – I’ll have to look and see if they add anything to it, but the whole packet is only 6g including the plastic, so it can’t be too horrendous. I’ll make the next batch soon!

Without sugar/stevia added, I love rhubarb as a vegetable too – it’s great with smoked mackerel.

I bought a cabbage the other day, planning to make coleslaw with home made mayonnaise, but it’s huge, so I might look at trying sauerkraut as well.
    Hoping that my spiraliser arrives today!
    Just realised that we very quickly drifted away from the thread of supermarket foods!

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Bill
    Snap! Good with ginger too. Just microwaved mine.
    It’s nice getting new holiday clothes isn’t it. ☀️ ✈️ Very well done. Have great time in June

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Have just really enjoyed a carton of Icelandic Skyr, which I suppose is most like cream cheese. It came in a carton and I ate it with a spoon!

the 170gm carton was 104 calories, 6 carbs, 19 protein!!!, 53 sodium. No fat. I really enjoyed it as it was, but it would be great on lettuce, or rolled up in smoked salmon or ham. Really creamy.

Well worth seeking out.

• posted by barby
    on

Oh that Skyr yoghurt sounds nice Igorasusual, so is it better/different than the full fat Greek yoghurt?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I think it’s thicker, and I was thinking of it more like cheese than yoghurt. Would be good either in savoury combos or in sweet, you could take it either way. Some people think it’s too tangy and sour but I really liked it. And so much protein! You can get vanilla flavour too, which is apparently also c 100 cals for 150g. Very filling, I found it.

• posted by Janeycoughdrop
    on

Longley Farm cottage cheese is THE BUSINESS! I have been having a portion topped with black pepper with whatever salad is for lunch and it is not only delicious but also definitely keeps me full all afternoon! Their yoghurts are also great (when we can relax a bit on the sweet stuff front later on)

• posted by barby
    on

Hi Janey, glad someone else has tried the Longley Farm cottage cheese too. I just got it on impulse when I was doing a first online order with Asda, and saw the great reviews. They don’t stock it in Tescos annoyingly.

I don’t think I’d better look at the yogurts yet, I’m sure they’re gorgeous.!

Please log in or register to post a reply.