Recipes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Darren75
    on

Hi everyone,
    Very new to the diet . I haven’t started yet however since Monday this week I have stopped drinking alcohol . This is a major factor for me . I’m a very social drinker a bit too social . I calculated last night that I’ve been using a minimum of 1000 calories a day just on alcohol. Stupid I know. Please don’t judge.
    So from Monday I have cut out carbs i.e the main staples and alcohol. I have been reading the book and basically taken a few of the meal plans and used them as a starting point. This then leads me on to my most burning question that I hope you can help me with .
    Once you start the diet do you have to eat exactly what is in the daily stages meal by meal ? I mean exactly to the letter to make the diet work or for example if you don’t exceed the 800 calories is that ok ? I don’t mean swapping vegetables for chips etc and weighing that amount out onto your plate . I’m curious as there are things I don’t actually like so could I swap trout for tuna ??

Any help and advice welcomed.

Darren

• posted by Verano
    on

Darren well done for deciding to go down this path. It does work and there is no reason why your blood sugar won’t reduce. The most basic principle is to keep your carbs low. If you eat 800 calories a day but include lots of carbs you will lose weight but your blood sugar won’t reduce. Better to go a little higher on calories if needs be, but stay less than 50g of carbs a day and preferably less if you can. Most people aim for 30grams or thereabouts.
    Quite a few of us have reversed our T2 by following this way of life. Have a look at the dietdoctor website for great ideas for lots of low carb recipes. There is a thread on here ‘Take a look at this’ that had pointers to all sorts of articles etc. You will also find a thread with soup recipes and another with cauliflower. There’s also a thread called ‘ good eats the low carb way’ . Just search in the box above.
    Try a carb/ calorie counter like MyFitnessPal of FatSecret, to name but two. You may be surprised at the number of carbs in a humble apple for example.
    At the end of the day it’s ‘carbs’ that cause our blood sugars to spike. Best of luck on your journey.

• posted by Darren75
    on

Thanks for your advice and help . I think I understand a little more now so basically check what carbs are in everything!! Got it here goes .

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

As for following the meal plans, if you have the knowledge you can make swaps. For example, there is a pate recipe made with mackerel, which I hate, so I make it with tuna. Feed the items into a calorie, carb etc, counter and you will be able to see if it is a comparable swap. In the case of mackerel for tuna my recipe is less calories so I know I can have, say a few nuts later in the day. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders so you will soon see how easy it is to work out. If you are ever stuck to know about a food just type into Google (other search engines are available LOL) say Cauliflower Nutritional Information and voila, there it is – usually per 100gr

• posted by Darren75
    on

Thanks for your advice and I knowledge, today is a good day I weighed myself this morning and I have lost 3.5 kgs in 5 days . I feel great and it has spurred me on.

Please log in or register to post a reply.