Ready for this challenge!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Taffinski_2
    on

I’ve just recently started a new job and one of my colleagues lent me his book about this diet. I’ve read it and it’s something I’d like to try – but I have concerns that I won’t like any of the food and therefor won’t be able to stick to the diet!

I love my carbs, I recently joined slimming world and was pleased that Pasta is a free food – but after a 4.5lb loss on my first week all I’ve done is gained so that’s clearly not working for me. And I started losing the will to keep going as I wasn’t losing so my motivation had gone.

I’m never really going to have an ideal 8-week slot to do this so I’ll just have to persevere through regular life plans (as I’m sure many others do)

I’m going to wait a few weeks before I start so I can be prepared, mentally as well as physically. With having two children (11 & 1) and a slim partner, I will mostly be cooking for myself so that means cooking 2/3 different meals a day. My daughter is a bit on the larger side so I’m hoping she will share some meals with me without me needed to tell her she could do with losing some weight (I don’t want to affect her confidence in any way)

I am not a morning person and I often skip breakfast because I just can’t stomach it. Always been told that’s bad for me but I can’t help it.

So I guess in a long winded way, what I’m trying to say is that I’d appreciate any help, tips, support and recipes you can all offer.

• posted by topcac
    on

Firstly don’t worry about the food – unless you are very very very fussy, you will be fine. As you’ve done Slimming World you’re probably OK with veg so you are definitely going to find some things delicious!

Secondly, don’t make things harder for yourself, do not cook 2/3 different meals. You will be able to find meals that everyone will like and be able to eat. If your partner is obsessed with carbs then you can just add those to his portion of the normal meals. Same with the little one – presumably only just eating ‘proper’ meals so start him/her off early!

Forget what you’ve been told about breakfast. Eat it, don’t eat it, it’s fine either way – you will learn to listen to your body on this diet and if it’s just not hungry, don’t stuff food in it!

Do prepare to be a little ‘off’ for a few days when you start, if you can start it when you can get a little help with the baby as you may feel headachey and tired. That will soon go and you’ll start to feel great.

Good luck – read the posts on here, they’re very helpful and let us know how you are getting on

• posted by Taffinski_2
    on

Do I need to drink a lot of water? I don’t drink much in general and water certainly isn’t a favourite haha

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Yes you do need to drink a lot of water. Several reasons, the fat you will be losing comes out through your pee so you will make yourself dehydrated and upset the salt balance in your body if you dont replace it. That is the medical reason. Another is that water is so good for you, gives you bright skin and eyes and hair etc etc. It also makes you feel fuller. Try adding a tiny amount of apple juice although I dont have a sweet tooth and prefer lemon in my water. Try to drink 2 litres daily and as they fat is flushing out plus you are replacing the fluids you may need to add a touch of salt to help rebalance, especially if you started getting cramps.

By the way the 2 litres doesn’t have to be all water, tea and coffee is fluids as long as you are not using loads of milk or any sugar, or try green tea. I know they can taste bitter but that is only if you leave the bag in the cup too long, also you can get flavoured ones but read the pack to make sure there is no added sugar.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Taffinski_2

Well done on deciding to make this positive life change. Topcat is right, it doesn’t matter if you eat breakfast or not and if you keep things simple, you will be able to get away with producing one healthy meal for the whole family, just adding in carbs for your partner if they feel it is a must for them. Remember that on the BSD it’s high fat, low carb, turning to old low fat/high carb ethos on it’s head. Good hydration is very important, but if you don’t like plain water, try herbal or bagged fruit teas hot or cold.

Don’t leave it too long to make a start, strike while the iron’s hot. Expect it to feel a bit daunting initially and to have some carb withdrawal symptoms – sometimes called ‘carb ‘flu’- headache, aches etc. That phase soon passes though, so don’t be put off.

Hope it goes well – keep us posted.

• posted by Pancita
    on

Hi there,
    I echo what SunnyB says, don’t leave it too long.
    Don’t overthink or overresearch it, start today. Take the big “bad” carbohydrate out of your usual meals. Pasta bolognaise? Reduce/remove the pasta. Mac and cheese? Replace your mac with cauliflower. Mince and tatties? Nae tatties for you! Sandwiches? Put the filling on a plate, not between two bits of bread. You can work your way up from there, but it’s a good start. Just start. You’ll feel so much better so quickly and that will encourage you to keep going.
    I have a partner and a 4 year old. I don’t do any extra cooking, we all eat slight variations on the same (usually very lovely) meal.
    Good luck!
    P x

Please log in or register to post a reply.