Reactive Hypoglycemia Help Needed

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by paulshaw56
    on

Hello Folks,

Hope you are all okay.

I have been diagnosed with having a subtle blood sugar disorder back in 2013, i have cut out alot of sugar i used to have. My blood sugar has never been documented to go low but the doctor confirmed it was reactive hypoglycemia symptoms which were not linked to a specific disease. I have had many blood tests to name a few i have had the following checked thyroid, hormones, glucose tolerance tests, cortisol, hemoglobin A1c, i have also had MRI scans of the brain and heart nothing has been found.

However the symptoms seem to be getting worse, despite being on a sensible diet. I have been recommended if i am struggling to take acarbose by my endocrinology doctor, which is for type 2 diabetics, however i am worried about the side effects and i am not sure if this would help the condition.

I please wondered if anyone knew any vitamins / minerals i could add to my diet that might help strengthen my body, or any herbs that could prevent the low blood sugar attacks i am having? Currently i am having 2 – 3 low blood sugar attacks a day which is very upsetting and not very nice. Further does anyone please know any good snacks to have when walking around, that might be high protein and low sugar? I have tried eating a small bag of almonds when i felt a low blood sugar attack coming on, but it seemed to make my blood sugar fluctuations worse.

Thank you so much for reading my concerns and any help would be appreciated. I really am struggling and it certainly is not an enjoyable life at the moment especially with these attacks 2 – 3 times a day. It really is hard trying to manage this condition in a better way, as there is no specific reason why i am having these low blood sugar attacks. I may have to consider trying the acarbose if i cannot seem to get control of my condition.

Many thanks,

Paul

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Although you have worded this question as if it is personal to you and your well being, I see this is research for your online business and you have an interest in low carb meals. I am diabetic so aiming for low blood sugar so might not be much help with your hypoglycaemic problems. But, if my BG goes too low I usually eat a few prunes and some Greek yoghurt trying to avoid the high carb loading I used to do before BSD. I was always told by doctor to have something like bread and honey or sweet fruit juice but that went against me trying to lose weight. I would do exercise, go low, eat and no weight loss so this way is better for me. I also try to time my exercise to suit mealtimes so I am not doing a run just before dinner etc. If you want to find low carb diets there are lots of other web sites (so may not be a business interest that many have not already taken on). Start with recipes on this site or look at Nomnom paleo, then there is thedietdoctor.com. But remember if you want to publish recipes you have to acknowledge they are not your own.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

If you are looking for high protein snacks to have while walking around, my favourites are biltong (only the really good stuff), pork scratchings/rind (again only really good stuff with no carbs/additives), edamame beans and the old favourites Baby-bel cheeses or similar.

Please log in or register to post a reply.