Re-starting BSD:Plateau'd

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by toddy_67
    on

Dear all,

I haven’t been on this forum since last year, apologies. I restarted the BSD on 28May, initial good start I’ve lost a stone in weight. But I’ve plateau’d and been the same weight for over a week now. Any hints/tips to get the weight loss restarted?
    I am being fastidious about keeping to 800kcal and under 20g of carbs. I could do better on water, managing about 2.5litre a day.

• posted by DoubleDutch
    on

Hi toddy,
    plateauing is part of this WOE, and a week isn’t too worrisome. My friend was at the same weight for three weeks and now is experiencing the woosh effect. You’ve done great so far, just keep going and it will drop.
    You can experiment with intermittent fasting, eating two meals a day instead of three. That gave me more leeway during lunch and dinner and it seems is has great benefits for most people.
    Good luck, everything will fall into place soon if you stick this WOE!
    DoubleDutch

• posted by toddy_67
    on

Thanks Double-Dutch, I am already only doing two meals on a 16:8 fast cycle. But I just read somewhere about doing an egg-fast so I might try that. I have tbh eggs have played a significant part of my diet to date – simply because I know they’re low-carb and easy to prepare. Also I’ve had bit of keto flu so have been feeling cold, hopefully that’s over and I can switch to some lunchtime salads.

• posted by DoubleDutch
    on

I enjoy fasting as well, I’ve started with 24 hours a few times and am working my way up to 48, last time I was meeting friends for dinner and I stopped at 44. I’ve read about the egg-fast (like you, eggs are big part of my day) but at this point I’m not sure about it.

• posted by toddy_67
    on

Oh Lord, I’d no idea this was so contentious, OK I’ll abandon my egg-fast idea and stick with the plan. Hopefully the weight loss will restart – I know I’m still in ketosis so why no loss???

• posted by DoubleDutch
    on

Your body does what it does. Highly annoying but I’m afraid I have no other answer! I’ve been real good in some weeks with small or hardly any discard but managed to eat 1500 cals and saw a kilo dissappear the day after.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Toddy,

Its a common mistake to measure progress by movements on the scales.
    Lets consider some variables. – We are encouraged to drink 2 litres of water a day, each litre weighs 1 kilo. – So depending on where you are at in your water in /out cycle that day that’s a fluctuation of upto 4.4 lbs. –

Your weight includes the contents of your digestive system. – 800 calories worth of celery weighs a lot more than 800 calories of cheese.

Our hormone systems are inter connected. – Raised insulin levels do not just switch off the bodies ability to burn fat for fuel, it also blocks the action of growth hormone. The growth hormone is responsible for how strong our bones are and the development of muscle in response to exercise. – So sometimes when weight doesn’t change your body is just responding to the low insulin and growth hormone to become stronger.

That’s why taking lots of measurements can be better than judging progress by weight. But do not just focus on waist/hips measurements. Its really surprising where the changes happen, faces change, collar bones become visible, sometimes a shoe size is lost before a dress size.

• posted by toddy_67
    on

Thanks but for me the only measure is the actual weight loss. That’s what will make the medical difference.

Please log in or register to post a reply.