Question on fasting

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve been doing the 16:8 fasting for a few days and thought I was doing really well sticking to it. Except my husband has just pointed out that I’m not, as I have tea with milk. Quite a lot of it! I know I’d find it really difficult without, but will try to cut down.

How much difference will the milk make? Am I not really fasting at all?

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi Squidge
    I do 16:8 – but I also have coffee in the morning with a splash of milk. I use a soy milk which is lower in carbs than most dairy milks.
    I know the fasting gurus will say that this is not fasting, but even Dr Fung says in answer to a question “While fasting is it okay to drink coffee with milk? I can’t do black coffee. I have a little milk with my coffee. ” He replies “Technically, the milk does not fall within the guidelines of a true fast, but the small amount of milk/ cream added to coffee improves compliance tremendously for some people. So in our program, we absolutely allow milk/ cream in coffee, but no sweeteners or sugar.”
    So I take that onboard, and I know that 16:8 really helps me keep on track. At the moment I am in maintenance and I know that TRE helps my weight stay steady – along with low carb.
    So – if it helps you Squidge, then I’d say go for it!!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks, MerryMelba.

‘Cheating’ with the milk is probably better than not trying it at all. I have a selection of fruit and herb teas, bought for people who haven’t been here to drink them due to lockdown, so I’m going to try substituting some of those for a few cups of my regular tea with milk. Just drinking a mint one. It’s … umm … odd.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Are you in Melbourne Squidge?
    As Dr Fung says – a dash of cream (which is delicious in coffee) or a splash of milk won’t harm your fast!

• posted by Squidge
    on

No – I’m the opposite side of the planet!

I’ll experiment with the herbal ones anyway. I might get to like them – then I could drink them when visiting friends who use skimmed milk. That’s awful in tea. And anywhere else.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I use the dash of cream in coffee occasionally when fasting.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks, SunnyB.
    I’ll try to reduce the amount of tea with milk I have, but if that’s what I need to help me stick to it, I won’t fret about having it.
    btw, just had a jasmine one. It made me think fondly of the mint!

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Squidge, I really enjoy Licorice tea after someone here recommended it. Give it a go if you haven’t tried it. It has a slightly sweet flavour so can help curb a sweet craving.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Thanks, MerryMelba.

You’ve reminded me about fennel, as that has an aniseed flavour … which now I think about it makes no sense! Anyway, I have fennel seeds and heard they make a nice tea, so I’ll try them.

Please log in or register to post a reply.