Question about drained weight of tinned/bottled beans

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi guys, I live in Spain. The jars of beans I can buy here are a different size to the jars in the UK. The ones I can get are 570 g, drained weight 400 g. The gloop is usually quite thick and there’s not much of it. The recipes in the books talk about 400 g jars of beans, drained. Can you tell me what the drained weight of 400 g jars of beans in the UK is? It seems like an odd question, but I guess even how thick the liquid is or how much there is of it could make a difference and I could end up with sloppy bean burgers or ones that are too crumbly and won’t hold together.

Thanks for any advice.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there Snoop, it is a difficult calculation, even when making something which asks for 200 grams from a 400 gram tin, once you pour away the juice or water it does not weight 400 so do you still use 200 or half. I have just made the Spanish (very appropriate for you) chickpea and chorizo soup and it asks for half a tin so I poured the juice away and measured what was left. There was 270 grams of chickpeas so I put 135 in my soup. You need to do a bit of emptying and weighing. Thats the best I can offer on this.

• posted by Frog
    on

As Sunshine Girl says – nothing definitive
    Varies with how much water a producer thinks they can get away with!

On the waitrose website, they helpfully give nutrition for the drained weight, which may be useful.
    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=9481
    With this brand, you get 240g drained beans from a 400g can

Sainsbury’s own brand is similar, but a branded product that they sell appears to yield only 200g from a 400g can.
    Tesco also 240g per 400g own brand can – but harder to work out from the information given on a branded product
    Presumably, once drained and rinsed, the nutrition won’t vary too much from one brand to another

I rinse canned beans – I’m familiar with the jars you mention, and the gloop rather than brine – not sure what’s in that, but I would probably rinse the beans.

• posted by Snoop
    on

Thanks for the info, guys. At least I’ve got a ballpark figure to go on: anywhere between 200 and 270 g. That’s quite a variation, so maybe I’ll try a midway point and see how I do. Very useful info, as I often cook chickpeas from scratch, so it gives me an idea for those too.

And yes, Frog, I rinse beans as that stuff just looks weird. That said, the dogs love it.

Hope you enjoyed the soup, sunshine-girl. I make a ‘local’ version with a lot more spinach and a lot less chorizo. Still good, though.

Please log in or register to post a reply.