Professor Taylor on Inside Out tonight

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Inside Out tonight, 7.30 BBC1 features diabetes.

In the northeast it features Prof Taylor and 800 calorie diet to reverse diabetes

For those in other regions it will be available later on iplayer.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi captainlynne – I am in East Anglia and they are running what looks to be the same programme in East Anglia tonight but have just checked it out and unfortunately it looks that professor Taylor isn’t in our version. Will have to wait for iPlayer.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi KrysiaD

I’ve seen him on national news – the liver scans were amazing!

I’ll be watching at 7.30. Hope it is shown in other areas, but if not there’s always iplayer 😀

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Have checked it out – he isn’t on our programme. Thank goodness for iPlayer.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

The Prof was interesting. First part of programme was T2, the Prof and 800 calorie diet, also a report from Cumbria on ‘diabetes education ‘ – the party line. The man featured who did 800 calories for 8 weeks lost 8 or 9 inches from his waist and 1.5 stone in weight. And his blood sugar dropped to nearly normal.

The second part was about T1 diabetes.

Be interested to hear what you think.

• posted by Avila
    on

waiting for it to be on iplayer – they are not so quick getting regional programmes upon the play back compared to prime time national shows….

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    You can watch your own region up to two hours after it was shown by watching live, then backtracking.

they seem to all start with the same core program, then go off into something regional – the London one focused on school lunches in Hackney.
    The east midlands one is on Iplayer – I’ve skipped through the stuff that was also on the London one, and it’s regional twist seems to be the increased risk of diabetes for Asians.

• posted by Avila
    on

Seems all regions had a diabetes special with some bits of material used in various places. Sadly the Prof only on the one. And not included on the clip pages here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5wFFrcMD0chDjSZVDQPVgqh/inside-out

Whereas an article about gastric bypass plugs it as the only reasonable cure, and bemoans that thinner patients don’t qualify for surgery !!! WHAT???

‘A leading bariatric surgeon told Inside Out surgery was “the closest thing to a cure” and should be used more often.
    Only type 2 patients with a BMI over 30 are currently eligible under obesity guidelines.
    At least 15% of sufferers are of normal weight and therefore don’t qualify for operations like gastric bypasses on the NHS.’

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Avila – according to that bariatric surgeon I would have qualified back in a December. I wonder how much money I’ve saved the NHS? Who would prefer surgery to eating differently?

Frog – I saw an interview earlier on the national news with a teenage Asian girl, diagnosed with type 2. She’s on Metformin but as lost over a stone and is exercising.

On tonight’s programme they said again about the number of children being diagnosed with type 2, the expectation is that by the time they are aged about 35 they will have other significant health issues resulting from the diabetes. But they also interviewed a man diagnosed some years ago, as a young man. He wanted to do what all his friends did, drinking etc. So he ignored the diagnosis. Now he’s lost three toes on one foot and lost his job. He was saying not to ignore diabetes because it is do nasty and “takes no prisoners”.

The Prof is doing a new clinical trial and will do follow up for two years. The wheels of clinical research move very slowly.

I must say that I was perturbed to see how much attitudes varied even within our TV region. The Prof in Newcastle but the conventional approach over in Cumbria.

With this being so much in the news today I plucked up the courage to email the Prof with a little of my story. I know my results are not part of a clinical trial, but are anecdotal- but he may be interested in the long-term results I’ve seen. Be interesting to see if he replies.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Is there anywhere to see just Prof. Taylor’s part??

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Sorry shalimar, think you either have to watch th whole thing or fast forward through the bits you don’t want to see. The Prof’s part was split so might be easier to just watch until it changes to the t1 segment.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Thanks … i will give that a whirl!!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    I haven’t watched every region yet – NE is the only one with the Prof Taylor stuff.
    Quite easy to watch them all on Iplayer – fast forward past the first 10-11 minutes to skip the content that is common to all of them.
    I watched 5 or 6 last night, some more interesting than others (the NE one on most interest to me obviously)

I was equally gobsmacked by the suggestion of barriatric surgery for people that weren’t overweight – but having worked in a medical research charity (one that actually did research on humans, rather than simply raised funds for research), and a couple of social research orgs, I do get the importance of waiting for the research to complete before adopting it as mainstream.
    As long as they apply the same criteria to the barriatric surgery for all school of thought!

Please log in or register to post a reply.