Prediabetes Eats

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by yuvismahi2
    on

So I’m bordering on prediabetes and I was hoping that people here would be able to recommend some top notch healthy foods on a budget that can eat me back on track to eating healthy. I know veggies (greens) and lots of water is huge but anything in particular that people can recommend on a personal basis?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi yuvismahi2, if you are bordering on prediabetes you so need to read some of my posts about what it is like to be diabetic. I only said yesterday that I am mainly on this site now to shout out to people like you ‘please do something now’. So I hope you will learn lots from this site.
    Foods that are good for you are so many and even on a budget. First thing to do is stop spending on white carbs, so no potatoes, bread, grains, breakfast cereal, rice, pasta, ready meals, processed foods, obviously no cakes, biscuits or sweet treats, carbonated drinks or fruit juices (shop bought are full of sugar). Now you have got rid of that lot you might be able to spend a bit more on healthy food. Think staples like canned beans, lentils, chickpeas, they can be the base to replace your other carbs. Eggs are a big go to, low in carbs and calories and versatile – I have just had scrambled eggs for lunch with a pinch of chilli flakes, butter to cook and some grated cheddar cheese. Salad veg is quite cheap in summer so you have a lot of choice there. Cold meats (deli counter not processed) chicken, lean meats and mince. Too hot for stews but I still eat a spag bol in summer or a mild chicken curry. Frozen veg is very cheap and much better for you than fresh that has sat in a truck of weeks. No knowing your tastes it is hard to be specific but, for example, I bought an aubergine and some red peppers and mushrooms yesterday for a total of about £3. You dont say if you are cooking for a family or just yourself.
    If you take a look on the web site for the diet doctor you will find lists of the foods that are good for you and those to avoid with carb counts for each type. Watch out for fruit, it is high in carbs but I always have frozen raspberries, blueberries and strawberries in the freezer- cheaper than fresh and not too high in carbs.
    Have a look around the site and come back is you have more questions, there are loads of good people on here.
    Just a final word, never buy low far, low sugar, diet foods – they are a chemical nightmare or have been pumped full of carbs. Also, eat full fat alternatives like butter (no marge), cheeses, yoghurts (no fruit vartieties) plain Greek is good. Hope that helps without overwhelming you too much.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Reported yuvish etc.

Please log in or register to post a reply.