Potassium needed for fast heart beating?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ilovecatsndogs
    on

Hi all!

I am new to the forum and on week 3 currently, and have lost 20 lbs. My problem is I can feel my heart beating in my head, and it’s beating hard, even when sitting. Has anyone added potassium supplements to their diets?

I do take magnesium and try to use a lot of salt. I am also a big coffee drinker, but didn’t experience this heart beat symptom until I started the diet.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

• posted by CinBlue
    on

Have you tried going a day or two without the coffee, just to eliminate that as a cause?

Also it could be anxiety. But best to check with a doctor.

on

Thanks for replying, cinblue!

I am actually drinking less coffee since this diet, to save on calories toward food. Also, I have never had this problem until I started the bsd diet. I thought it might be part of the carb flu but I’m in my third week, so I don’t know.

Not anxiety.

I’ll try upping my water intake and wait to see if anyone is also experiencing this.
    Thanks.

• posted by Elky
    on

I don’t know if this will help at all but on dietdoctor they flag that it’s fairly common to experience a slightly elevated heart rate in the first couple of weeks of low carb. They say a common cause is dehydration and lack of salt. “A reduction in the amount of circulating fluid in the blood stream means that the heart will have to pump blood slightly harder or faster to maintain blood pressure.” So the cure is drink more fluid and make sure to get enough salt. They say if that doesn’t work and it persists that it may be necessary to increase the carbs a tiny bit, though obviously that’s a trade off with weight loss. Also some people apparently find a magnesium supplement helps. They also warn that the situation is a bit more complex if you’re on diabetes or high blood pressure medication because then the medication level may need to change to accommodate the new WOE, but I assume that’s not the case for you or you would have mentioned it.

I haven’t personally experienced what you describe but I thought you might find the dietdoctor view interesting and hopefully helpful.

Cheers, Elky

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Agree this should be run by a healthcare professional (doctor, nurse, dietician, pharmacist). DIY supplementing can do more harm than good.

How much is “a lot of salt”, and what kind of salt are you using? If you are not properly measuring your salt intake do so, this is valuable information for whichever health professional you consult.

There is ample potassium in fruits and vegetables. You might increase your servings as suggested at the end of each recipe, sticking to low sugar and non-starchy options obviously!

HTH.

on

Thanks Elky, I have been doing research as well and I agree with you that this could be the problem. I plan to go to the doctor to get everything checked out including my blood labs.

Firefox, I normally (before diet) don’t use a lot of salt, but have now increased it with my food. If you don’t use a lot of salt for a long time, normal use of salt and things like bacon tasted too salty for me.

But since I’ve been on this diet, I guess my tastes have changed and the extra salt actually tastes good. I can’t really say how much extra salt I’m using as I do it “to taste”.

I am eating a lot of greens and veg. This week every day I am having spinach, broccoli, romaine, tomatoes, and radishes. I figure out my weekly menus before going to the grocery, to keep me on the straight and narrow so I won’t feel the urge to cheat (as I have done sooo many times in the past) and so far am sticking 100% to the diet, which has even surprised me hah!

I don’t have high blood pressure; in fact it’s low, but I am pre-diabetic, hence the BSD.

Thanks for all your replies and advice. It’s greatly appreciated!

on

I started researching yesterday and I agree with you that this could be the problem. I plan to go to the doctor to get everything checked out including my blood labs. Thanks Elky!

Firefox, I normally (before diet) don’t use a lot of salt, but have now increased it with my food. If you don’t use a lot of salt for a long time, normal use of salt and things like bacon tasted too salty for me.

But since I’ve been on this diet, I guess my tastes have changed and the extra salt actually tastes good. I can’t really say how much extra salt I’m using as I do it “to taste”.

I am eating a lot of greens and veg. This week every day I am having spinach, broccoli, romaine, tomatoes, and radishes. I figure out my weekly menus before going to the grocery, to keep me on the straight and narrow so I won’t feel the urge to cheat (as I have done sooo many times in the past) and so far am sticking 100% to the diet, which has even surprised me hah!

I don’t have high blood pressure; in fact it’s low, but I am pre-diabetic, hence the BSD.

Thanks for all your replies and advice. It’s greatly appreciated!

• posted by jules114
    on

Might suggest adrenal fatigue. Get rid of the coffee. Why are you taking so much salt, it mitigates the effect of cortisol but you are better off tackling that problem at source. The more sodium you pack in the more potassium you need and that mean lots of fruit and veg.

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

I love catsanddogs: GO YOU, sticking to it and not cheating!! I had a terrible couple of days. But try and try again.

I really recommend you try tracking your salt intake. Firstly write down everything that includes added salt as you cook with it or eat it (bacon etc).

As far as ‘to taste’ you might measure, say, 1/4 teaspoon (level measure), then use that salt exactly as you have been doing. Scribble down exactly when you start and finish each 1/4 teaspoon. Over a week or ten days you should be able to get a decent average, whilst still being able to use salt ‘to taste’.

Once you know where you are with salt/ sodium, you can plan your next move!

If possible have a wide variety of non-starchy vegetables and low sugar fruits, if possible the full rainbow (blue/ purple, dark green, red, yellow/ orange). Each family and each colour supply different nutrients, but all are good for potassium.

In the ‘Clever Guts Diet’ Dr Mosley advocates eating at least seven each day, and twenty to thirty different varieties each week! That is SUCH a challenge. Ten a week is quite easy, just alternate two different sets of five on alternate days. There is a really wide variety of fruit and veggies in ‘The Fast 800’ book and recipe book too (I do not have the BSD books).

Many vegetables can be bought frozen, or prepped and frozen by us. Some are naturally quite long life: the cruciferous family are fairly low carb, long life, inexpensive and can be frozen. Red cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, radish, watercress, Savoy cabbage, various Chinese leaves are all in this family.

Like tomatoes bell peppers are a bit higher in carbs but great for colour options! They last well in the refrigerator and freeze well too. Five colours if you can find purple bell peppers (I hardly ever see them).

Oooops I am getting carried away, I don’t mean to suggest you do all this at one time! SORRY, sorry sorry old habits die hard (my past work).

Please log in or register to post a reply.