Porridge and quinoa

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Happyhols
    on

I need a bit of help please…..what are everybodys opinion of porridge and quinoa….is it ok to have on BSD…..

• posted by Natalie
    on

I eat quinoa, but in small amounts as it is quite high carb.

• posted by Happyhols
    on

Thank you Natalie….Im.just trying to get my head around calorie amount I never gave thought to carbs…..is there a limit to carbs aswell?

• posted by Natalie
    on

There is no official limit to carbs in the BSD book as long as you stick to healthy unprocessed carbs, but most people find that keeping to 50g or under net carbs for the day helps weight loss. You really can’t eat a lot of carbs in 800 calories anyway! I find most days I’m around 30g net carbs because I eat lots of veges but hardly any lentils/beans/porridge/quinoa etc. If you include those things you need to watch portion sizes carefully.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Happyhols
    I ate 30g only of rolled oats for breakfast every 3rd day or so (I’d have an omelette or Greek yogurt with berries on the other days) mixed with strawberries and blueberries. The oats came to just over 16g of carbs + whatever was in the fruit and I made sure I kept my carbs on the lower side for the rest of that day. My carb levels averaged around 40-50g per day, but I don’t have T2, so that wasn’t as important for me.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by hectorshousemate
    on

I have the recipe book and 25g of porridge with 125 mls of semi skimmed milk seems to a be a popular base to add an apple or spices like cinnamon. I would usually have double that but surprisingly filling. I use rice milk instead though.

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi hectorshousemate
    Be careful of the rice milk as a lot of them have added sugar. Just check the nutrition panel and it will tell you how much/100mls. Try also to stick with full cream milk, you need the fat on this way of eating to stay in ketosis.
    I don’t have semi/low/skin dairy and I’ve now lost 31.5kg.
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by SchnitzelVonKrumm
    on

15g of milled chia seeds (Linwoods) is only 1.7g carbs and 74cals. I added to 25g porridge oats – I use 175ml whole milk to make it. The chia seeds absorb a lot of liquid so I add water to the pot. I stirred and squashed 30g blueberries through it (4.2g carbs 19 cal) then sprinkled cinnamon on top. 300 cals for the whole thing. Didn’t need lunch.

Please log in or register to post a reply.