Porridge

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by chris53
    on

Hi everybody. One question before l start this diet. My normal breakfast for the last few years has been a quarter cup of porridge oats with cup full of semi skimmed milk. Can l continue with this for the next eight weeks, it keeps me going all day ,our follow the recommended breakfast in the diet programme?

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Chris,
    Welcome to the community.
    I’ve eaten porage for breakfast almost every day during the 8 weeks and lost 23 lbs.
    It must be proper rolled oats and not instant porage. Rolled oats (such as Scotts “Old Fashioned”) are good-ish carbs, being low-ish on the Glycaemic index. They worked for me as they kept me full until lunch time.
    Admittedly I always make it with water, but skimmed milk is not that different, I guess.
    Don’t know what a “quarter cup” is, but I do know that I’ve kept the kCals to under 100
    Hope this helps – it you want some motivation, go to the thread “This has to work for me” and read it right though – you will follow several peoples’ whole 8 week trip with all the ups and downs involved – it makes a great motivational read, even though it will take you a while as there are over 500 postings.
    John

• posted by Desperate dieter
    on

Hi Chris
    I was much the same, having porridge and semi skimmed milk each morning. I am 7 weeks in to the 800 cal diet now and have avoided porridge totally. My reason being that it was not given as an option in the meal plans,. I intend to reintroduce it ( for cholesterol busting purposes) once I go on to the maintenance plan. I was in a similar dilemma at the start as you are, but I found so many tasty and tempting alternatives. Hang on in there. Between all the folk following this diet someone will be out there on their daily porridge. If you are needing to go v low / no carbs, then it might be best to avoid. I think 100g of oats is about 12g of carbs if that’s any help. Good luck and let us know how younRe doing. Much joy

• posted by Janet1973
    on

So long as you know what the calories are and can make room for them, you should be ok. you might have to weigh your quarter cup one day to find out exactly how many cals/carbs there are and then include your milk too. They are quite high in carbs and some people find they want more bang for their buck – that was me. But see how you go, you can always try something different later if you feel its not helping you.

• posted by chris53
    on

Thank you

Please log in or register to post a reply.