Pork with apples and shallots – 450 calories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by NickF
    on

1 boneless rolled pork leg joint (approx 3.5kg)

Just prepared this dish, the book says that 3.5KG serves 8 which equals 437.5 grams per person. Mountain of meat. I ploughed my way through it then looked it up on the BitFit app and was amazed and disappointed to discover that this portion size of roast pork is over 800 calories. So now I’m 400+ calories over and feeling a little sick! Thinking it’s a good job that I went to the gym this morning!!!

I’m half way through week 3 and have lost 10 lbs and really enjoying the food – but I’m a little concerned that the book wasn’t properly checked before it was published.

• posted by Nelliewilde
    on

Hi NickF I have a similar concern about the recipes! I got the book last night & spent half an hour plugging recipes into a calorie counting app & found almost every single one of them was about double what it was supposed to be!!

Has anyone else had this problem?

• posted by GonnaBeDazzling
    on

Hello Nelliewilde, There are several threads on this forum saying the same thing. Nothing from the team yet about it. I have recalculated every recipe I want to use as the majority of those I’ve checked are wrong. Frustrating and time consuming! My copy of the book is full of scribbles and crossings out – and I would never normally write in a book!

• posted by Bells
    on

I have definitely noticed the same thing – and have done my own calorie calculations for every recipe!
    Wonder how they could have got this so wrong??

• posted by MummaBadger
    on

When you calculate calories do you calculate for raw meat or cooked? As you roast 3.5 kg of pork it will loose a lot of weight in cooking, so you end up eating much less than 400 g. If you check calories for 400g of raw pork then it is about 480 cal, but cooked is around 1000 cal. I actually don’t think I could eat 400 g of meat (cooked meat)… that is a lot of meat. So probably you have eaten much less and probably you are OK.
    Did you have any salad with the roast or just the meat and apples?
    Thank you,
    Melita.

Please log in or register to post a reply.