Plateauing

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Puneet
    on

I have been doing the diet for abut 6 weeks . I have lost about 9 kgs and sugar levels are coming down. Last few days, nearly a week my weight has kind of plateaued. It has stopped at a certain mark and won’t go any lower. Has this happened to anyone else? how to move from here?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Puneet

Has this happened to anyone else? Oh gosh, so many. Yes, yes, yes. Just read these forums!

Try the search box (top right) with a few key words and see all the threads pop up!

Oh yes, there are many occasions where the weight loss seems to stop.

However

Have you MEASURED? What’s happening to your shape? Often clothes feel looser, you feel slimmer as the visceral fat goes, while weight stays the same.

Are you still drinking lots? Try drinking even more. – it helps your body excrete the fat by washing it away.

Are you keeping carbs under 50g per day? If not, give that a try for a few days.

Are you constipated? That can sometimes help the weight hang on.
    Try a bit more fibre.

Can you exercise a bit more? That sometimes kicks it off again.

But otherwise, if BS is still improving, just keep on keeping on. I can’t tell you how common this plateauing is. I think everyone goes through it.

Keep the faith – the weight will start disappearing again! 🙂

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

And I should have said.- congratulations on your 9kg loss! Great stuff!!! 🙂

• posted by Puneet
    on

Hi Igorasusual

Thank you. What a relief. I have dropped a dress size. The best part is feeling light . All the measurements are showing a decrease.

I realised that my activity levels have gone down. i gave in to work commitments. Making a conscious decision to put health and fitness first.

Constipation is a problem. What fibres can i add to help with that?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Great news Puneet

Re constipation and fibre try typing the words in the SEARCH box top right to see what other people have tried and found worked.

More possibilities than I can type in on a reply 😉

Good luck!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Puneet
    I have been using inulin for about six weeks now and have found it has help on the constipation front. Movements are much more regular now. I have also been using Bioglan’s Fibre Boost (only because I know someone who works for Holland & Barret and they let me know it was on offer). It is a good source of fibre though, consisting of oat bran, rice bran and inulin. Have also used psyllium husk in the past, but personally have not found it as effective as inulin. Horses for courses though, you might find it works for you.
    Some people – me included – have found adding inulin to their diet has the unpleasant result of increasing flatulence, however, this can be counteracted most effectively, by taking charcoal capsules.
    Think adding fibre and making sure you drink enough, is a better way to deal with constipation than laxatives, but they do have their place of course and for me, good old fashioned senna is as effective as anything.
    Hope you manage to resolve your issue.
    Good luck.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Sunny – I might look out for the fibre boost thing – even though I’m eating lots of vegetables, I’m getting a lot less fibre than I used to because I used to eat loads of bread with nuts and seeds. I have had psyllium husks in the past, but abhor the texture, so I’ve avoided going down that route!

• posted by Puneet
    on

The psyllium husk has not really worked for me. i have tried it earlier.

I am trying to eat more vegetables.

I have to idea what inulin is but am going to research it now.

thanks for the info.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Re: constipation.
    Have you tried incorporating Chia seeds to your food? Carbs 0.8g/15g Dietary fibre 4.8g/15g.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Good idea …. i have Chia seeds. I also have flax seeds – which i put in my coffee grinder and just give the grinder a few pulses … just enough to chip open the flax seeds so the insides will open up the fibre in the seeds. You can buy the flax powder but this way there is no problem with the flax being rancid.

• posted by Puneet
    on

Funny thing. Got overly concerned about the plateau. Weight dropped below plateau but sugar went up. last two days fasting is really high. the battle is still on.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Puneet, it is like being at the end of a yoyo, or seesaw. Yesterday my weight was down but sugars up, today my weight is up but sugars down. Who knows what mysteries lie within our bodies.

• posted by Puneet
    on

So true , Sunshine-Girl.

Today however, was a bad day for me. Went out for lunch with some friends and things went a bit, lets say crazy. But tomorrow is another day. I’ll start again. Hopefully not too much damage.

I keep reading all these posts on the forums and it helps to know everyone has ups and downs. i am trying to increase the level of physical activity. That should help.

Please log in or register to post a reply.