pasta – cooked, chilled and reheated

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by neil1945
    on

In ‘trust me I’m a Doctor’ (not the latest series) it was found that pasta as stated above raised the blood sugar considerably less than fresh cooked pasta (which spikes very quickly) and because the chilling and recooking changes the carbs into more complex ones it is also a much more gradual increase AND it acts as a fiber so is good in that count as well.

Is it alright to substitute small amounts of pasta into the BSD Med diet??

• posted by kevpartner
    on

I’m certainly going to be doing this. We tried it on Monday and found that it tasted fine – a bit softer than usual, more like the spaghetti in tins. The article on the BBC website about it said re-cooking results in a 50% reduction in the blood sugar spike – it also said the same was true for potatoes so I’ll be trying it with a small portion of roasties which I’ll cook on Saturday and reheat on Sunday.

• posted by dvpeace
    on

Can’t speak for the potatoes – but as for re-heated pasta – it is a well known trick of the trade for us mothers who have Type 1 diabetic children. Whilst the carbs remain the same – it somehow causes less of a spike.

• posted by neil1945
    on

I would think if your pasta was too soft cook it less the first time _ instead of 4 say 3 min

The reason I understood from the tv program was that it changes the carb from a simple on which is harder to convert and becomes additional fiber!! but you can google the episode of Trust me I’m a doctor and watch !!

Please log in or register to post a reply.