One week in, is this normal

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Simonfromsurrey
    on

Hi, read the book, loved it and it proved to me I’m addicted to carbs. So I got on board and started to eat low carb, ditching bread, pasta and cakes instantly. I’m 49 and have been eating the same way for years

Starting weight 18stone

After a couple of days I was really sweaty and my headache was awful, however it lasted about a day
    My appetite seems to have slowed a little
    Got a weird taste in my mouth
    But seem to have lots more energy
    Have lost 5lb in a week
    Feel mentally stronger than in ages

is this all normal or should I be worried ?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Simon
    Completely normal, the headaches don’t last long and lot’s of folk have reported having extra energy, so much so that, if they slip up and have carbs one day, they feel awful the next day, it really does affect your body like that.
    That weird taste you have may just be a sign of ketosis or fat burning, if that’s the case you can check with Ketostix, about a fiver from the chemist.
    Well done on the first week and heres to some amazing results by the end of the 8 weeks.

on

Thank you for that, was worrying a bit. Its such a drastic change for me, but as a newly discovered type 2 diabetic I simply have to make these changes to lower my blood sugar and my weight.

Have been looking at so many foods to see where the carbs are hidden and as I suspected they were all in predictable places so I don’t even have ignorance as an excuse. The weird thing is its made me so more determined than any other type of diet change I’ve ever tried and in conjunction with weightwatchers (great online site which gives the carbs per 100g of any food) I feel like a new door has opened for me. I have my annual Bupa check at the end of May and would hope all my results would be better than last year. Looking at the recipes too and will follow some to spice things up. I must say, the book totally opened my eyes, I found myself nodding in the early chapters saying ‘that’s how I feel’.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Me too. it was a real lightbulb moment.
    Briefly I was type 2, 11 weeks ago.
    Since then I have lost 30 pounds and my sugar readings are now almost normal. I was re assessed as pre diabetic after HbA1c tests taken just 4 weeks into the diet.
    Others are having similar and better results, stick with the plan, it really does work.

on

Did you find yourself craving carbs?. I now view them as the enemy. I know i need to eat some, but how much per day?

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Simon,
    The carb cravings pass fairly quickly. If you can stick with the plan and stay away from the starchy, sugary stuff you’ve mentioned, you’ll find you don’t want them after a couple of weeks.
    A fatty protein snack will usually deal with the cravings in the meantime, something like a piece of cheese or a small serve of full fat yoghurt.
    Eventually you won’t want snacks either.
    You should aim to get your carbs from full fat dairy, veg and fruit, beans and legumes. Most people on here aim for around 50g carb per day to achieve better blood sugar control during the 8 weeks. After that it’s trial and error to get to the point where you have good control, but enough carbs to maintain your weight ( once you’ve achieved your goal). That will vary from person to person.
    You sound like you are all set for success so will be interesting to follow your progress 🙂

on

Thank you, happy to post on here as this is so important, 20 years of being fat must
    end. I want to feel healthy and full of energy

Please log in or register to post a reply.