One week in

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Watsup66
    on

Hi I love this forum. I started last week and very happily lost 6lbs but I’m so stuck with the recipes. Last week I didn’t have recipe book so stuck to basic eggs meat and veg. This week added cream yogurt and cheeses. Food tastes a lot nicer and got a bit egg bound last week!
    Now I’m finding it hard to stay at 800 cals with the fats and work out a weeks recipes shopping list. I’m so used to being told a 7 day plan by slimming world.
    I’m finding it even difficult to work out how many nuts I can have.
    I’d appreciate any links to previous posts that can guide me please.
    And anyone who shops at Sainsbury’s can we pressure them into stocking full fat creme fraiche?
    Thanks in advance for help

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Watsup, crème fraiche is French for fresh cream so why dont you just buy the English thick stuff – sorry dont know what they call it but thick cream not pouring cream.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Sorry to step in, but just to clarify.

In la Belle France, Creme fraiche is just standard fresh, thick cream (Creme d’Isigny, Mmmmm!). In non-French markets, however, creme fraiche is a lightly soured or fermented product with a bit of a tang, which makes it particularly suitable for sauces with strong herb tastes.

Morrisons sell full fat creme fraiche which is pretty good, if that helps.

on

Thanks for that J-M, I have never eaten cream but yes CF has a more piquant taste. I use it for sauces and in scrambled eggs to make them light and fluffy.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I never knew till I did a job for Danone a few years ago and asked why the same product had different ingredients!

• posted by Busybee
    on

M and S sell it too.
    X

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Asda also sell full fat creme fraiche. But I think Morrisons is nicer.

• posted by Watsup66
    on

Thanks that’s good to know. I’m changing jobs next week and it’s very near Morrison.
    Anyone help me with what’s a portion of nuts?
    I made courgette prawns for dinner, melon spinach and blueberry shake for breakfast now have work out what I’ve had in carbs proteins fats. I’m a little disappointed the recipes don’t have this breakdown just the calories.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Here’s a quick chart to give you an idea of the carbs in 100 grams of nuts.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts

A hundred grams is more than 3.5 oz of nuts, about three handfuls, which is a lot for the likes of us. Because nuts are high in fat, they are very, very high in calories. Let’s take the Brazil nut, for example, which along with pecans have the fewest carbs in the snack nut family of products. One hundred grams of Brazil nuts is a nosebleed-inducing 656 calories. The same amount of pecans has 690 calories. So sure, you can easily afford the carbs, but unless you’re planning on eating lettuce leaves and sipping on bone broth for the rest of the day, you can’t afford the calories.

As with everything on this diet, the key is portion control. There is not some external law that tells you what a portion is. You have to determine for yourself what amount suits your needs and fits your calorie and carb limit. If it helps give you an idea, one of those little bags of salted peanuts you get on a plane contains 24 grams of nuts and totals 140 calories and two grams net carbs. For a snack size, I would stick with half an ounce, as a general rule, an ounce if I’ve already calculated my meals for the day and left room.

I use My Fitness Pal (http://www.myfitnesspal.com) to calculate calories, carbs, fiber, protein, etc. in foods. You can also very simply Google “calories in X foodstuff” and you’ll get the full nutrutional breakdown at a glance. That doesn’t do the math for you, though, while My Fitness Pal and other such food logging websites do.

on

watsup, you dont have to give up nuts, just have a few. I count mine out so I am not sticking my hand in the bag. 10 pistachios or 6 almonds make a reasonable snack and are so good for you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.