ONE WEEK AT A TIME STARTING THE 29th OF APRIL

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Good evening all and welcome to are newbies and what a great start for you all. This thread is so helpful in so many ways. We all let all here and happy to help in anyway we can. Here’s to another amazing week ahead!❤️

Wendleg would you like me to host again this week as I know you have your op coming up? No problem if anyone else would like to host but I am happy to if needed. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi gokini – I use zero noodles. No calories at all and you just rinse and either cook quickly or I just throw them into a stir fry. They don’t have much flavor but they fill you up. I made them with butter and a little Parmesan and they were delicious!
    https://www.zeronoodles.com/
    I think there are a few brands and I get them from a health food shop but I think amazon also sells.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi gokini I by my naked noodles and rice from Sainsbury’s. I have never heard of the kelp ones but I will look out for them. 💞🦜

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone. Yes Birdy, could you set up a new weekly thread please ? I will be around to respond to posts as often as possible but mostly out of action tomorrow. I will be off work for 3 weeks but I hope to bounce back pretty quickly ! You have done a great job hosting Birdy ! Thank you xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Amz ..well done with the fast .It really is a useful tool, not necessarily as “damage limitation “after a time of excess but also , as you say, a way of focusing on food for nourishment . I now welcome the feeling of hunger…yet I would never have believed that !. Keep checking in with us Amz. Can you take your own picnic food to the event on Saturday ?

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Good luck with your op, Wendleg. Hope it all goes well. Will be thinking of you

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Will do Wendleg❤️

Guys it is that time I am going to set up best weeks thread as tomorrow is Tuesday and I want it to be there for us all. I am doing this as the lovely Wendleg is off for her op. It would be great to see you all there and it would be great to keep it going whilst our gracious host is mending. To all newbies that maybe lurking please do come and join us as we don’t bite and we are all here to help each other navigate this amazing WOE. To oldies I am sure you will all be at hand to help us all as you know your knowledge is invaluable and truly appreciated by us all. ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 7th OF MAY. See you all there guys Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Yes, Wendy, good luck. Will be thinking of you XX

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Wendleg, thinking of you, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks birdy for looking after us so well.

• posted by caronl
    on

Best wishes for the op and a speedy recovery, Wendleg. Thank you Birdy.

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Thank you so much Kafin and Birdy, I’m going to try all of the suggestions. Having something that looks vaguely like pasta, noodle and rice might help the OH stick to the plan too.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Zero Noodles (a brand of konjac noodles) look much more like regular noodles than kelp. They must be rinsed and popped in a bowl of water in the microwave for 2 minutes, then drained in a colander in order to remove the slightly fishy smell they have when you open the bag.

My favorite konjac noodle is Zeroodle brand with oat fiber ( https://www2.netrition.com/zeroodle-premium-shirataki-oat-fiber.html ). It does not have that smell and has a much less mushy bite. The “spaghetti” shape is basically indistinguishable from a ramen noodle. Nobody, and I mean nobody, would know that’s not what they are unless they saw you open the package.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi Essie ha I spotted you!😜. I am on amazon and looking for a pickle/fermentation books I have found one by Karen Solomon and wondered if you knew it and would recommend it? If not please could you recommend one as I know I can order online but would prefer to make my own. Thank you lovely lady and I hope you are well? Hugs Birdy💞🦜

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Thanks Esnecca, that sounds perfect, I’ll give them a go thanks x

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Hi Birdy, is that the Asian Pickles book you’re looking at? I haven’t read it, but my bestie got it for her husband and he loves it. This is my bible: https://www.amazon.com/Fermented-Vegetables-Creative-Fermenting-Chutneys/dp/1612124259/ref=pd_sim_14_3/146-3791292-9249620?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1612124259&pd_rd_r=9534507f-7057-11e9-b82d-3b1b552168eb&pd_rd_w=4iKXo&pd_rd_wg=81Vxf&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=YTSPTS4JJ9BAERSPV2KY&psc=1&refRID=YTSPTS4JJ9BAERSPV2KY
    It explains the fermentation process very clearly, going over the basic materials and tools, and is packed full of recipes for fermenting every vegetable (and even a few fruits) under the sun. This is very pure salt fermentation, no vinegar, no whey. It’s the foundation of everything.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you Essie I found and I have ordered it as it said even for beginners 🤣. Can’t wait to make my own sauerkraut! Birdy💞🦜

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Thanks Essie for the book recommendation, Shockey has also written a book on fiery fermentation. Does this go through the basics also?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’ve only leafed through Fiery Fermentation in the store, so I can’t say for certain. They have the steps of every recipe broken down very clearly into a 1-2-3 format. It doesn’t look like they have the large introduction that gets into all the full explanation in the way the Fermented Vegetables book does, but I think the Shockeys’ back-to-basics ethos makes fermentation easy to understand and practice even if you’ve never done it before.

I’ll also note that one of the my most successful ferments last summer was a hot pepper salsa from Fermented Vegetables, so they definitely know their hot stuff. I let it ferment the longest of any of my experiments, almost 3 months, and just like Chris and Kirsten said it would, it only got better as time passed. It enhances anything it touches, from salad dressing to collard greens to tuna to turkey burgers. My father, who has a real taste for heat and can take it better than anyone I know, ate it straight out of the jar. The brine turned green and became a hot sauce on its own. I take a gulp of it when I need to wake up or if I’m feeling peaky on a fast. It’s like a shot of adrenaline.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Was it fermented sauerkraut, avisa? Did it say raw and unpasteurized anywhere on the jar? If not, then it was likely vinegar brined and without probiotic benefits. Check the ingredients. All that should be listed are the veg and salt, no sugar, no vinegar. Good for you for eating it all week. Soon you will become a kraut fanatic. 🙂

• posted by avisamuelgrey
    on

Hi Esnecca, the ingredients were only the cabbage, carrot, water and salt but it also says pasteurised on the jar? It looks like a Polish brand.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s the ingredient list you’re looking for, most definitely. The good news is it was indeed fermented creating billions of beneficial lacto-bacilli that can colonize your intestine and oust any sugar-craving microorganisms. The bad news is that pasteurization kills every living microbe, beneficial or otherwise, so I’m afraid you did not derive a probiotic benefit from your week of kraut. You still have a low carb, filling, and ready-to-eat veggie side, however. Nothing wrong with that. 🙂

• posted by avisamuelgrey
    on

Esnecca, I see mason jars in my future….it’ll be a hipster beard next!

Please log in or register to post a reply.