One Week at a Time Reboot ! Countdown to Festivities ?? beginning Oct 29th 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I sense we need a sort of motivating reboot moment ? Maybe the change of seasons has disrupted progress ? So if you feel you could do with some support as the silly festive season approaches..feel free to join and aim for a weekly target to keep you focused. This forum has been invaluable to me and I would hate to see it wither …..come on folks we can do this !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I’m front and centre with you on this, Wendy. Am conscious I really need to get back to basics and … as you say … reboot. Have still got grand daughter here and a social event on Thursday, so will use this week to ease back into things, with a view to full on 800/20 from next week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi SunnyB ! Good to see you ! I am still on holiday until next Monday so less opportunity to do my usual OMAD or intermittent fasting routine .I am also conscious of overindulging on the chocolate caliente ( although no churros !) while in Spain and I have to crack this insiduous habit which I suspect is contributing to my lengthy stall. .. It is certainly true that while adhering to low carb and with no desire to indulge in the white stuff I can still over eat so called healthy foodstuffs ( very dark choc, and nuts ). I need to get that sorted. I cannot afford to become complacent !
    Have a lovely time with your grand daughter ! xx

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

A great idea Wendy. I’m definitely in need of a reboot! Lost all motivation recently and struggling with all the lovely Christmas food coming into the shops now. I normally start regularly buying (and eating) small bars of Christmas cake from now until Christmas. I love it so much. But I did manage to avoid buying any when doing my food shopping today.
    I’ve gained 9lbs over the summer and really want to get back on track to lose it again before Christmas.

• posted by Elky
    on

Thanks Wendleg, I’m definitely up for a reboot so I’m here.

Scottishgal, I love Christmas cake too! I know it’s mad in an Australian summer, but for me baking was always part of the lead up to Christmas. It was a tradition for me to make a big dark Christmas cake and I admit I miss doing that this year. But I know what will happen if I bake one, so it’s just safer not to ☹ I had better skip baking the mince pies and the shortbread too…

Right, enough thinking about what I *can’t* do! My plan for the week is to stick to OMAD Monday to Friday, and 800/20 for the whole week. I am still hoping to fast while travelling later in the week, but shall see how I feel as it may be a wee bit ambitious when I’m only just now coming back to the straight and narrow.

Good luck all, Elky

• posted by JGwen
    on

I am with you on the call of the small bars of Christmas cake. – I would have been buying one per shopping trip in previous years from now until Christmas, and it would have disappeared on the day it was bought.

I was listening to a podcast by Dr Fung on a keto website yesterday, it was an interview from 2016, and was interesting to hear how passionate he was about the failure of conventional doctors to recognise the harm they are causing with their treatment of diabetics. – He made an interesting statement, over 52 percent of the American population are either diabetic or pre-diabetic.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I looked at the nutritional panel for Xmas cake this morning…eye-opening and eye-watering (but then again so are lots of things when you look at the small print, including so called “healthy options”). I also spotted something the other day which had “Sugar free!!!” on the packet, but on closer scrutiny “contains natural sugars”….). Having reined myself in after recent silliness, the scales are responding and I also feel less bloated, so it’s good to know (as we do!) that this WoE is forgiving (within reason). But this forum is undoubtedly such a help so I must follow it closely. Wendleg, I hope Betty is settling in well; and JGwen, that the bruise is fading – and from what I remember you saying months ago, the thought also occurred that thank heavens your dog was with you when he just got over exuberant, rather than previous owners. I wish all on here the very best for No Nonsense November and a pre-festive reboot, if that is needed. I think I could achieve my original target by first anniversary in January, and I’ve still got those jeans of the future in the wardrobe to aspire to …We shall see! I am very hopeful though that in any event, the stone bracket will be 10 (which I am just in) and not 13 as at the start of the year!

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you Wendy for continuing the ‘One Week’ theme. I will be here for the first three weeks or so and will do my very best to stay on track.
    There has been lots of talk of ‘set point’ weights and various ‘plans’ including OMAD, 16:8, intermittent fasting lasting for various lengths of time, and my most recent experience seems to fall in with ‘mixing things up’, but for a different reason. Maybe mixing things up really does keep our bodies on their toes.
    I was away for 11 days and for the first time in three years I was really lax about eating BSD friendly foods. Look away now if you don’t want to see this ….. I had toast quite a few mornings, a few tablespoons of paella a couple of times, apple tart and ice cream (1/2 portion), most days, lots of cheese with bread! I didn’t experience any ‘cravings’ I just ‘enjoyed’ whatever I was eating at the time. I must admit I was frightened to get on the scales thinking a 7lb+ gain was possible. There was a gain of just 1.6lb!
    So, I gave my eating a bit more thought ….. none of my usual crispbreads, chocolate and nuts. So one way of eating must have offset the other!
    Ok so no weight gain to speak of and that’s gone, plus more, but I worried about my blood sugar. Being a T2 in remission I thought well ok you didn’t gain weight, to speak of, but maybe the carbs have wrecked your blood sugar. Today my BS was normal for me! That doesn’t mean I’m going back to the simple carbs but it does make me wonder when we have followed this WOE for a long time if our tolerance for carbs is greater, providing it’s not overdosing and/or often.
    So maybe once the carb cravings have been gone for a long time, we can have the odd food we fancy, as long as we stay in overall control. Just one more thing. One day I had an omelette and it was served with very crispy fries …. I only know they were crispy because I lifted them up with my fingers to remove them from the plate! Chips/fries will never appeal again!
    Sorry about the long post, but again Wendy thanks for keeping us on track. Hope we all have a productive week.

• posted by Elky
    on

Verano that is such good news about the tiny little gain and, more importantly, that your blood sugar was fine. You must be so pleased and relieved. Hurrah!!

I think I remember reading or hearing something about half the US population being diabetic or pre-diabetic too, JGwen, and I can’t imagine that it would be very different here in Australia – or probably in the UK. It’s a truly frightening thought and one that I should have in the front of my mind when I’m looking longingly at food that I just know will end badly for me.

6T I’m glad that things are heading in the right direction for you again, and that those teeny tiny jeans are looking achievable.

I have never found buying “aspirational” clothes successful in the past, I tended to just get fatter rather than shrinking into them. Since everything from last summer’s wardrobe is now too big for me, and I cannot go to work in a nightie, I have had to buy a few new things. Some fit comfortably now, but I am deliberately getting some things that are a tiny bit snug in the hope that they will actually last me all summer, rather than being too loose by Christmas. No, let me rephrase: not in the *hope* that they will last all summer, but with the *plan* that they last all summer. This time, folks, I am going to get this done. <nods in a determined fashion>

Wendleg, my new burst of optimism is proof of just what a difference it makes when I actually stick with these threads, so thanks again for keeping the weekly thread alive – and Merry too, for accepting the baton last week.

Cheers, Elky

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Elky,

The reminder about the percentage of the population which has pre-diabetes is something I am going to keep in mind each time I go food shopping. – Even though its 2 years on this WoE for me I still suffer from trolley envy sometimes at the check outs.

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

I’m in my third week of the Fast 800 and my weight loss has stalled for 4 days 🙁
    I sort of expected it to slow down (I lost 11lb the first two weeks) but now really don’t know what to do next. Got so used to jumping on the scales daily but now I’m wondering if I should step away from them for a few days. I could do with being more active, like going back to weight training 3 days a week. Maybe it will help! Otherwise, I’m a bit stuck as to how to shift the weight. Got another 11lb to lose so not quite at my goal yet.

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi StrongCurves, please don’t be disheartened that you’re seeing a few days without a discard, I think it’s a rare soul who sees a steady and regular discard over the long term. For most of us it’s much more “lumpy”, with periods of nothing followed by—hopefully—a sudden drop. Day to day weight will be affected by so many things like hormones, whether you’ve done heaps of activity and hence may be retaining a bit of fluid while your muscles repair, what you’ve eaten—I don’t mean whether you’ve stuck to this WOE, but literally the food, e.g. whether it was steak or salad—and so much more. I think JGwen in particular has written many posts about this in the past.

The general advice is not to be a slave to scales because they’re notoriously unreliable, with people seeing clothes get looser while the scales stay the same. So you could have a look at your measurements rather than just the scales?

Personally I have to weigh myself, even though I know it’s not the best measure. I just can’t stay away from the scales. But I also look at measurements.

And also of course the old NSV (non-scales victory). I’ve just travelled for the first time since I started with WOE and I have to say the airline seat felt *much* more spacious than it used to. So I’m definitely taking that little NSV 😊

Hang in there, StrongCurves, it will happen.

Cheers, Elky

• posted by Verano
    on

Just popping in to say that so far the first half of this first reboot week is working for me! Strangely enough I often find it easier to stay with the BSD principles in the winter because I tend not to eat breakfast and have soup for lunch. I know it’s early days yet but feeling in ‘control’. Hope everyone is having a good ‘reboot’ weekend.

• posted by Verano
    on

Well looks like this ‘reboot’ has fizzled out. But I wanted to report I have had a loss this week, so holiday gain gone plus a little extra.
    Hope everyone is keeping on keeping on ……….

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

Well done Verano! I don’t know if it’s just getting to that time of year where everyone is busy with upcoming festivities, work and other things.
    I’ve not had a discard recently very sadly. But I’m still eating well and not bingeing so that’s the biggest bonus for me. I’m sure the scales will tell me if the pounds have moved at some point. Certainly doesn’t feel like I’ve gained weight! My inches haven’t changed over the last fortnight but suppose it’s what you feel inside that counts.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done on the discard, V, that’s excellent news. I’ve had a neutral week, slipping back and forward over the same pound, so overall, no gain no loss. However, I’m trying to see this as a positive and a good place to start from afresh for the coming week.Fingers crossed for a discard by this time next week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks StrongCurves and SunnyB it’s great to get my head back into a good place, and get a bit of a result, even if I’m no where near as vigilant as I used to be.
    SunnyB when you think about it you have maintained so well for so long especially given all the ‘breaks’ and ‘meals out ‘ you have ….. but you know we still have to enjoy ‘life’ and be mindful ….. otherwise what’s it all about!!!!!
    Looks like The ‘Weekly’ thread might need a break. I’m sure that it will be revived, if there is enthusiasm for it, but that may not be until the New Year….. who knows!
    Anybody out there want to carry the weekly thread on ????????

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi V and everyone !
    I am still here but have had a stressful few days … Hubby was experiencing severe abdominal pain and ended up in the A and E dept here…fortunately seen quickly and released after 4 hours of tests and pain relief. Gallstones suspected…so we were concerned there would be another episode over the weekend .He had a scan yesterday and the results were encouraging as there don’t seem to be any more nasties lurking and for the moment there is no need for gall bladder removal .That’s a relief as he has had enough to deal with recently but apparently this was much more painful than broken ribs !
    I asked if there was anything that could be done to avoid gallstones and it seems there isn’t. We can all have gallstones but it is only when they become enlarged that they cause problems and severe pain. Maybe others have more experience ?

Anyway just to say I am happy to continue the weekly thread .I know it is dear to you, V, and I don’t want to let anyone down. Sorry circumstances prevented me from posting this Week.
    I am still very motivated and enthusiastic ! So I will keep going as long as you want me to xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Dear Wendy what can I say! Life very rarely throws just one curved ball and I just hope your hubby is back to full health soon. 2019 is certainly a year you’ll want to probably forget but hey ….. just 7 weeks or so to 2020!!!
    Yes please do carry on if you feel up to it ….. you have never let any of us down ….. quite the contrary!

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi Wendleg and Verano, another vote to please continue the weekly thread from me.

I know it’s not getting a lot of traffic just now, but I really like it. The monthly thread is great, and I frequent it too, but the problem for me is that it gives me a whole month before I feel like I must hold myself accountable. So that’s a whole month where I can think, ‘loads of time yet, I’ll get serious tomorrow’. And as they say in the classics, tomorrow never comes…

The weekly thread though—much less time to shilly-shally about before I must ask myself how the week went. For me, that’s helpful.

On that subject: this week hasn’t been a roaring success for me, but it was certainly better than the ones immediately preceding it. I think popping in here occasionally made a difference. Even though I didn’t post that often, I did read, and I think even that helps me.

And Wendleg I’m sorry that you and T are in the wars so much just now, I really hope the rest of the year is quiet for you both! Big hugs, Elky

• posted by Crazyquilter
    on

I’m a another ‘weekly’ person. I’m in No Nonsense November, and that’s great, but I have to set my sights on the next seven days. If what i’m doing isn’t enough to be reflected in the scales or my clothes, then i will tinker with what and how I’m eating. The end of November is a lo-o-ong way away!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    I am back at work and settling into the routine after the recent challenges but Ok. Hubby has had no more ‘incidents’ and so things are settlling there too.
    As it is Thursday evening I think it would make more sense to let this weekly thread continue until the beginning of next Week and then set up a new one. I hope that is ok with everyone.xxx
    Sorry to have been a bit quiet recently. I now understand what the expression ‘ life gets in the way’ means ! xxx

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi Wendleg, glad that things are getting back into the normal routine for you – I expect you’ve had quite enough excitement to last you a good while!

I just noticed that the weekly thread has been set up after all, I just didn’t see it until now 🙁 Maybe having two threads will keep me twice as on track – goodness knows I need all the help I can get!

Hope everyone has a grand day, Elky

Please log in or register to post a reply.