ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning May 21st 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Wendleg. You sound very chipper! All well with the post-op recovery? Today I am enjoying a very quiet day in a sunny garden. Life is good!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi caronl ! Yes, I am feeling very tycoon-like with my decluttering 😉 I feel fine post op but the problem is I won’t really know if this second surgery has been succesful until I start walking around lots. I will be back to school on June 3rd , going up 3 flights of stairs several times a day so that should be a good test ! I see the surgeon for a check up mid June. Fingers crossed !

In the meantime, like you, I am enjoying the garden , reading and listening to the birds ! Simple pleasures !
    Hope all the UK members are enjoying the bank holiday weekend !

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Wendleg, you have to share the secrets to being a tycoon! Wendleg Carnegie-Rockefeller-Vanderbilt. It does have a ring to it. I also meant to ask Birdy – did you do 23000 steps just in one night shift?! And Duckie, I remember reading Angela’s Ashes years ago. I agree, a book which you just want to sit and devour. Have you read any Rohinton Mistry? “Such a long journey” and “A fine balance” – I could not put those down. But I do like reading! Waiting for cod with lemon zest/juice/fresh parsley (inspired by a recent poster!) to finish cooking, wilted baby spinach on the side. It turned out to be a really lovely day here, so really enjoyed time in my garden and my lovely 93 year old neighbour’s one. It was really lovely that she could wander over (with a guiding arm) to smell a rose which her husband planted over 20 years ago, before he died, which has burst forth with the most incredible blooms since being released from its choking brambles and nettles (and do not mention that bl***dy wild garlic….)

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Evening all. I must say it warms my heart to see so many positives from people posting on here today. I have had a busy day at the cafe and now I am relaxing in the garden with my OH and dogs❤️ I am having a gin but only the one and it is with fizzy water. Sorry Wendy but I am smoking too🙃. 6T thank you sharing that post I am very much into fermented foods and I love pickles and have missed them on this WOE as they contain vinegar and sugar! But I know I can have them as long as I do it myself without all the added crap that the shops put in to preserve it. I am like Wendy and only in the reading and planning stage. I know that our guts have as much influence over our whole bodies as our brain does and it fascinates me. 6T yes that many steps in a night shift! I know it is crazy but I work in a big store and I am on my feet and walking for 10hrs! It is one of the few things I actually like about working nights🤣. NikNak glad you have got back on the wagon. I know life gets in the way sometimes but we can always jump back in and keep on keeping on. Articfox welcome home and you did amazingly considering some of the pitfalls that you faced! Frozen eggs my gosh that must have been nasty. Newbies you are doing great and please remember not to be too hard on yourselves, we all mess up but the thing you need remember is you are doing it, you are committed and you don’t have to be perfect! Honest we all made rookie mistakes and we still make mistakes. The lovely Allie and Esnecca have been at this for a longtime now and they know what they are doing and we will all get to where they are eventually! They really are amazing them two and they are great at getting us all on the straight and narrow! They are kind and generous with their help, no question is a stupid one and they will always answer them. JGwen is amazing too with her endless knowledge and her thirst for knowledge too. So have no fear guys we all have each other’s backs and together we WILL succeed❤️❤️ . Enjoy your weekend and bank holiday for those in the uk. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Thanks wendleg, I keep telling myself not to compare but it’s a habit that’s difficult to break….I’m happy and content with the other changes that I see in my body, I haven’t done any measurements yet but I think that will be on my list for tomorrow when I get home from work.

All this talk of fermenting has me very intrigued, I shall have to make it my next book to read. I’m currently working on Dr Fungs complete guide to fasting which is incredibly interesting and I hope to implement some of his suggestions soon.

A have a little question which may be stupid but you are all so welcoming that I know you will help me. Do you have to eat the full 800 calories per day? I’ve already incorporated a few 24-36hr fasts and I know that doesn’t do any harm semi regularly but I’m talking about regularly eating less than the 800 calories. The thing is that before starting this WOE even though I am incredibly overweight, I was never one for eating huge portions though I was obviously eating the wrong things and snacking on sugar/carbs throughout the day. With the new WOE, I’m not snacking and I’ve incorporated TRE so that my window for eating is between midday and 6pm – I never used to eat breakfast so it’s not been too difficult. So on a normal day I will eat 2 boiled eggs and aspagus/spinach for my midday meal, and then at 5-6pm some form of stirfry/salad using low carb greens with fish or meat. But it often comes to less than the 800 cals, I’ve double checked my calculations just to make sure but they are definitely correct because my evening meal is always a big one, and the greens are so filling I couldn’t eat more even if I wanted to.

So for instance today I had 67g protein, 17g carbs, 40g fat – 662 cals. Is this ok to do regularly or should I be trying to pad out the calories a bit more with some more fat?

Thank you so much for your continued help and support x

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, RE under eating. If you keep your carbs down low enough so that you are in ketosis (fat burning) then your body can make up all the calories it needs from your body fat so being less than 800 calories just means it uses up a little bit more fat. – The problem is if you have enough carbs or protein to raise insulin levels while eating low calories. If you do that too often then your body will reduce your metabolic rate.
    So either stay under 20g of carbs, or use a reliable (ie not the pee sticks) method of testing you are in ketosis.

• posted by enigma
    on

Hi everyone,
    I started day one of week 3 yesterday, and haven’t been able to get on here since I started but having read a few posts this morning I’m worried that I might not be doing it right and I’m really frustrated. some of the posts are confusing me about autophagy and ketosis.
    I’ve been sticking to under 800 calories a day and logging everything on my fitness pal. I also don’t eat after 8pm and usually have breakfast around 9:30 if I can last that long I definitely leave it 12 hrs min before eating breakfast. It seems as though i’m averaging around 70g of carbs a day. I generally have the overnight oats recipe (15g of oats) for breakfast during the week while i’m at work and the pea and spinach omelette on the weekends. I’m having soup or a veg chilli concoction without root veg but with chickpeas and kidney beans for lunch or dinner. I’m really confused now as to how I can my carbs lower whilst keeping protein high. I’m not eating bread pasta rice etc. I see food as a functional thing more than pleasurable and am quite happy eating the same things everyday for a week if I make a big pan
    i’m not a great cook and I don’t have the time to be faffing in the kitchen although I have been weighing and logging everything I need simple and quick things to eat if I’m going to stick to it.
    I have noticed some weight loss around my face and am not due to get measured again til this evening to see if the tape measure shows anything different. I live on my own so cannot weigh myself so am going by bagginess of clothing to measure my progress.
    One thing that I can say is that each day I according to my fit bit I am burning all the calories that I intake through exercise alone. I cycle to work every week day and I do a circuit/exercise class three times a week at lunchtime.
    In the first week I noticed headaches and quite often feel a bit spaced out/ fuzzy headed I haven’t really have any other side effects than that but in the last few days I have been feeling irritated a lot and have noticed a loss of patience with those around me.

I thought that I was going well and that progress was being made, I understand that the most rapid weightloss happens in the first two weeks and now I am worried that I may have jeopardised my success and not lost as much as I should have because of my carb intake that is frustrating me as I feel that I have been trying so hard. I am planning on trying to stick to the diet for the eight weeks as recommended, I am the type of person that would rather not know any weekly specifics re progress etc until the end as if I fell it isn’t working it will demotivate me and I will start to feel like giving up. I thought that I had got a handle on this and that it was working but who ever know that there were carbs in cauli and broccoli. Any advice would be appreciated as well as recommendations for vegetables that are carb free!
    Sorry if this appears like a big moan its not meant to be, I am enthusiastic about doing the programme and sticking to it especially if I have finally found something that works which it seems to be but I just don’t want to spoil it or hinder my own progress but it is hard on your own. The community on here seems fantastic by the way an invaluable support for everyone

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi enigma I think the first thing you need to look at is that you are under the 800 recommended calories, some people can eat less but you should be eating the 800 I think. You are also consuming way too many carbs, most people eat between 20 and 50grams of carbs. I stick to 20 or less because this will stop your metabolism from being messed up. Don’t worry too much about autophagy it is just something that has been discussed and I don’t think there is enough info out there yet. I might be wrong but I have not had a problem with weight or inch loss sticking to my 800 and 20g carbs, 50g protein and 60g of good fats. These numbers are tried and tested by most and they work. Pulses are very high in carbs and so are oats. I never eat oats as they have always made me hungry straight after consuming them. I made mistakes all the time in the beginning mainly with my protein and calories but it happens. You need to drink loads of water and stick to an amount of carbs that help you see results. It can be a bit hit and miss but if you keep your carbs low and try some Time Restricted eating then you will naturally go into ketosis. I always used to eat breakfast but I only do that twice a week now when I am on night shift as my body needs it as I am upside down. My day is usually coffee and cream or milk when I get up at 730am and then I drink water. If I am hungry I eat between 12-1pm but if not I won’t eat until between 6pm and 8pm resulting in me doing one meal a day, but I have been at this for 8 weeks now. I have discarded 2 and a half stone and inches off of my whole body. Everyone is different and what works for me may not work for someone else. You need to find your levels where this incredible WOE works for you. Listen to your body as you will soon be in tune with it. I am sure one of the others will be along soon to give you a helping hand. All the best on your journey and remember don’t be too hard on yourself the amazing thing you have done is you are here and you are giving it a go.😉. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by erinmc82
    on

thanks everyone for the kind words! yesterday i managed much better with the “tracking before eating” approach. today i’m off for a carvery and i’m taking a portion of grated cheese and some mayo with me so i’m not tempted by the gravy or cauliflower cheese. i’ll need to rely on will power for the yorkshires and roast potatoes! have a good day, all.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

There was a post from enigma but it seems to have vanished?? 💞🦜

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi all,
    I’m afraid I’ve had quite the slip up this weekend. I was tired and fed up after a long week and a hard day back in the office, and a nasty email from my estate agent tipped me over the edge (she got her knickers in a twist when I suggested that she change a couple of things in my advert, such as the some inaccuracies and to put in that my flat has a nice view) along with the fact that I discovered that she took it upon herself to strip anything interesting sounding out of the ad. All of this precipitated a binge on carbs and I’m really not feeling good about it. It does strike me as really stupid that I would allow someone so infantile put me in a position where I am ruining my health. I should have gone for a run or a swim to burn off the stress, but I convinced myself that I was tired and needed food instead. The worst part is that it really didn’t help a bit with the stress.
    Anyway, I’m hoping that I’m back on track now. I do think I’ve made a bit of progress because prior to trying to get back on BSD, I just couldn’t stop eating carbs. Now if I do fall of the wagon, I am dusting myself off and getting back on as quickly as I can. I went for a long run/walk today with some flights of stairs at the end when I was really tired. There was lots more walking than running, but I tried to make the run portions quite hard and fast. I’m hoping that will have helped clear any extra sugar and glycogen floating around in my system. I hope to try to go for a shorter version each morning this week and see how that helps me cope with stress so I don’t feel it is necessary to reach for carbs for comfort. I have lots of veggies in my fridge to eat, including some fresh asparagus I picked up on my travels, so no excuses.
    Birdy – I do also think I was meant to forget my shoes. I am so in love with the new ones. I will be wearing them again this week for the last of my 3 big presentations this month!

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

It all sounds very frustrating Arcticfox. Exercise is a great way to deal with stress but please don’t try and punish yourself by over doing it because you ate some carbs. It’s important to maintain a healthy relationship with food and your body. You’ve done well upto now and you sound determined not to let this slip up stop you from succeeding. Remember to be kind to yourself too!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Articfox,
    Please don’t beat yourself up too much about reaching for the carbs on this occasion. It sounds like you have learnt a lot from stepping off the waggon this time. – That eating the carbs didn’t have the benefit you thought it was going to have is a really key experience and its something that only comes from experience.
    – I count the time when I responded to stress by comfort eating and realised that it just didn’t deal with the stress as well as exercise as a critical step in this journey. – I think that while we all share the knowledge of a general pattern of eating for weight loss, for some of us carbs has been a coping mechanism and to achieve long term success we have to explore why we eat when not hungry, why we want to have snacks, and why we look to food for comfort when we are feeling down or stressed and find coping mechanisms.

I have found that when I am stressed exercise is more effective than an carb fest. – I have been on this weight training program for 10 weeks now, and there have been three occasions when I have walked into the gym feeling stressed and just half an hour of working out with the heaviest weights I can manage more than 5 reps with the aim of getting to 10 reps has lifted that stress off my shoulders. – I have a physically active lifestyle, but it turns out for me that isn’t enough to clear my head when someone has pushed my buttons to the point where I am playing over and over in my head the scene where I get to tell them what I think of their behaviour. I guess when my body reaches fight or flight levels of stress it really has to be a high level of effort to clear it. I am just sharing that experience because maybe it will be the same for you. – If running is your thing then maybe seeing how you respond to sprinting and going all out to beat your personal best is what you need to do when something stresses you out.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi everyone and wave to Wendleg. Good to hear about your clothes sorting – something very cathartic in doing that!
    We’ve just had a cold and rainy weekend here. I have roasted some red peppers/capsicum and will make cauliflower and red pepper soup today or tomorrow.

I’d also love to hear about your fermenting Wendleg, and any sugar free/low sugar recipes that you try.

Merry

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning. I’m checking in a day early today as I won’t be able to weigh tomorrow. So another 1.5lbs lost and it looks like my back to basics approach is working. I now have a ‘sin bin journal’ , a small book, literally, 2”x3” just big enough to note down my weaknesses. Each day I monitor my weak spots and am delighted when I strike one or more through because I’ve not eaten them that day. It works because instead of feeling guilty if I have a glass of wine or too many square of 90% I feel positively saintly when I cross them through because I’ve resisted. Also, it’s so much easier not having to ‘count’ every morsel that enters my mouth but rather just focus on a few items.
    I don’t advocate this method for everyone but when you have been following this WOL for a long time you sometimes need new ways to stay focused. Blood sugar control is my main aim but any weight loss is an added bonus!
    Have a good week.

• posted by gokiniruth
    on

Thanks for the info regarding under eating. My carbs are always less than 20g, but I’ve done a bit of tweaking with meal plans to reduce the protein slightly and increase the fats so that I reach the 800 cal.

After a week of maintaining the same weight (and midweek putting on a pound despite no change to my eating), I lost 3.2lbs this morning which means I’m starting week 4 with a total weight loss so far of 16lbs.

Articfox, I agree with JGwen, it sounds like you’ve got a really good attitude and have already made so much progress. Stress has such a powerful effect it’s not always easy to cope with, but I think exercise sounds like the key for you so well done for keeping positive!

Verano, I like your idea of the sin bin journal, it means you have a positive and cathartic thing to do at the end of each day, crossing off the ones you have resisted.

• posted by Niknak87
    on

Hi guys,
    I went to a bbq yesterday, started off quite well with not having carbs, but after a few drinks the deserts came out and I didn’t have as much resistance 😅
    I am feeling a bit worse for wear this morning with the hangover. I’m doing surprisingly well with not grabbing for the carbs I normally would in this state though.

Back to work tomorrow so normal food and exercise routine will resume.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello lovely people. First of all I am sure you will all want to join me in sending lots of love and a massive hug to Birdy who is travelling to Devon today for her Aunt’s funeral.

This is my last week of sick leave before I return to work next Monday so I will start a new weekly thread and hope to see you all over there !

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks for the support everyone.
    Skipping – I didn’t mean to make it sound like I was punishing myself for eating carbs! I had the run planned anyway and I was just hoping that it was helping to clear out any excess carbs. I wasn’t able to do much for so long after my accident that I’m thrilled to discover that I can run again, even if it is just a little bit for now. I definitely am trying to look after myself better. I was feeling a bit stiff later in the day, so I went over to the pool and had a good soak/massage in the hot tub.
    JGwen – I think we are similar in needing intensity to clear out the cobwebs when someone has stressed us out. I have been doing quite a bit of walking as I go out at lunch with some work colleagues most days and then take my horse for a 2 mile walk after work, but because it is not super intense, it is not really enough to clear the stress. Swing dancing is another great stress reliever for me, but it only happens once a week and I often have to miss it due to work committments. I used to be a multi-sport endurance athlete and I would do 2-3 workouts on weekdays and 3-4 on weekend days. I remember when I was going through a tough time at work then and I was working with a therapist that we decided that I should think of work as just something to do while I recovered between workouts and that helped me cope. In the last town where I lived prior to moving to this one, I had access to a national sports centre where there was a fabulous early morning bootcamp program with lots of other motivated people in it. One of the ladies there used to say that it didn’t matter what happened at work after she had been to bootcamp because she knew if she had survived the morning workout that she could survive anything anybody threw at her at work.
    gokiniruth – yes, I’m just remembering that this same therapist had decided that I was someone who needed a lot of exercise to cope with stressors in my life. I’ve fallen off the exercise wagon a bit in recent years since having my own horses to look after. Neglecting myself in order to care for them, which is not a great strategy and definitely not sustainable long term.

Please log in or register to post a reply.