ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning June 23rd 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Wow Mr & Mrs Kev, youโ€™re both reaping the reward of this way of eating. Well done. 9lb is a phenomenal weight loss already and your blood sugars levels are brilliant. Keep going. Post your weight losses on weigh day . I am keeping everything crossed to join in with the loses this week.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

WindyJulz and SunnyB,
    THANK YOU for putting things into perspective! Perfectionism, impatience, hormones and comparison (to others) are getting in the way! I need to take stock, I wouldn’t have dreamt of being here 8 and a half weeks ago. Well done me and well done you! We keep on keeping on! ๐Ÿงก๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

She’s back in the room!!
    Well done you indeed!!
    Made me smile!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Weigh in today. Only down 1/2 a pound. Felt like this week had been better. Iโ€™m still seeing some no scale victories through clothing but Iโ€™m beginning to feel like shifting this next half stone is impossible.
    Normally Iโ€™d be ready to throw the towel in but I am committed to keeping this going…. 1/2 a pound a week for the next 6 months is miles better than returning to old ways.
    But any suggestions to try and kick start a woosh would be appreciated? Iโ€™ve only lost 4lbs in the past month, though admittedly there were a couple poor weeks in there.
    Plan at the mo is to cut back dairy…. cheese and cream and yogurt.
    Ideas welcome.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Julz, I feel your frustration, it’s always tough when the scales don’t match expectation. Hold on to the non- scales victories though, as these are just as valuable.

If you feel you have to do something differently, by all means take a look at the amount of fat you have, which I’m guessing is why you are reviewing your dairy intake? Perhaps also check the carbs you are having daily and your hydration too. Not sure if you practise Time Restricted Eating (TRE), but if not, perhaps give that a go …. if it doesn’t suit, all well and good, but I and others have found it very helpful.

The most important thing is, that you’re not giving up and will continue to chip away to get to goal. You can and will achieve your target, of that I’m sure. And remember, any loss no matter how small, is still a loss, so embrace it as a step in the right direction. Have a good weekend and make the coming week count too, either on or off the scales.

• posted by ScubaDo
    on

Hello all,

I’ve returned after a couple of years away in the hope that I can shift the stone I’ve gained during lockdown. Just been looking through my daily records for the last time I did it – Managed to lose a stone in just over four weeks then – hopefully this time I can do it even quicker by trying to learn from mistakes I made then. Good luck to everyone.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi everybody….

omg….I just cannot believe it, I have lost another 2 lb this week!!…Total loss: 12 lbs ๐Ÿ˜
    I have never before in my life managed to lose weight at a 2lb a week rate….beyond happy this morning and it’s making all the restraint, including no alcohol or added sugar, so worth it!!!!!
    Oh and total 3.5″ off my waist too ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
    Milestones this week: an extra inch off the waist and getting below 11 st 7, plus into the next down BMI number: 31. something (started at 34.something and 32. something last week) โ˜บโ˜บ
    I have sometimes struggled to get an exact or below 800, but it is getting easier with practice.
    And I have so much more energy too โ˜บ.
    oh! And NSV- I’ve just managed to cut my toenails and breathe at the same time!!
    love to all, Clare xxxxx

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,
    Great going Tulip – keep it up!
    Welcome back ScubaDo, and good luck.
    @windyjulz, I hear you! Think I’m in the same place with weight loss starting to stall. I’ve been doing lots of reading about the body “set weight”, where it thinks you should be, and how to possibly reduce this.
    And fasting seem to be the way forward.
    I have two more weeks of working before holiday, and I’m thinking about trying alternating day fasting for this period to give myself a boost. That would mean eating dinner every day, but skipping breakfast and lunch every other day. So would be 24 h on and 24 h off.
    I don’t think further calorie restriction is the way to go, your body will just slow down the metabolism to match. Fasting is supposedly keeping the metabolism up.
    Perhaps something to think about? Know you have done fasting before.
    Take care!

• posted by GreenGal
    on

WindyJulz, Olive_1, RosyApple and anyone else whoโ€™s been experiencing a stall or slower than expected weight loss over a period of a few weeks .. hang in there .. Iโ€™m in the same boat.. my body hormonally has been all over the place and I am Nowhere near where I thought I would be now.. I have also been googling everything under the sun, body set weight etc .. But I read this simple quote and thought you know what .. thatโ€™s the key ..
    โ€œIf you quit now, youโ€™ll end up right back where you first began.. and when you first began you were desperate to be where you are right now! Keep going!โ€™ Just keep going .. GreenGal ๐Ÿฅฆ

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi everyone – well done to all for persisting! I’ve had a weigh in a couple of days early and have got rid of a further 5lbs…that’s 11 in 2 weeks, but I must stress that I am very morbidly obese so have a lot to lose! I’ve struggled here and there but my main progress has come in the realisation that starches just don’t do me any favours (I don’t really have an issue with sugar apart from a couple of days of the month!). I’m going to focus on seeking out alternatives so that when I resume higher calorie eating, low carb will be my regular way of eating. Anyway, hope everyone is well xx

• posted by Eowyn
    on

Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and esoecislly Wendleg all the information you have kindly shared.

I did the fast 800 a about 3 years ago but am re-reading to refresh myself.

So is day 4 and I am determined to keep on track for 8 weeks and taking each day/meal at a time. Small steps.

Couple of quick questions:
    1. Do you weigh once a week, same time? In the morning?
    2. I am tracking on my Fitness Pal. Do you all stick strictly to 800 or 800 once the app has equalized out any exercise?
    3. Do any of you practice TRE as well to help progress?

I have done pretty well and stuck within the 800 on most days. On the days I have gone slightly over these have been cancelled out by exercise.

I struggled a bit Thursday night. I got too hot and think I had a bit of a detox response and had to go to bed. I was concerned begore I started again as when I have cut carbs, dairy, and or caffeine I have quite a stressful response ie. The best way to describe it is an all over body migraine that lasts about 4-5 days. I literally cant get out of bed it is awful. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

Therefore this time I have avoided cutting everything in one go and looked to reduce as much as possible. Stress also plays a major part for me. I dont drink alcohol but when I gave up 3.5 years ago I had hoped this would help me lose weight but it hasnt. If I have lost in past I have gained massively again. I was overweight as a child, lost a lot in my teens, was tiny through my twenties and early 30’s. Now I just want to get back to a healthy, athletic size.

All of this has a lot of “shame” attached to it as well.๐Ÿ˜“

I think the hardest part at the moment is experiencing big is hunger pangs straight after eating. I am sticking to fresh salad, meat or fish/tuna and lots of water.

Thanks so much. Lovely to be part of the group. Will report progress next Weds when I am 1 week. ๐Ÿ˜Š

on

Hello Eowyn
    In answer to your question about weighing I can tell you about my experience. When I started BSD I used to weigh daily every morning after going to the loo and I wrote my weight down in my BSD journal. As a particularly slow loser I often got disheartened when I didnโ€™t see a loss and it impacted on my mood for the day if the scales didnโ€™t show a loss and so I decided to weigh weekly. Now I weigh intermittently throughout the week. I got to goal in 2017 and struggled with maintenance. Last year my weight crept up by 10lb and now I am trying to get those pesky pounds off again and it seems harder this time round. Iโ€™ve been up and down the same few pounds for months but this week, feeling better about the Covid situation , I am giving it my best effort, I personally donโ€™t find daily weighing helpful because my weight can fluctuate depending on the weather, how much water Iโ€™ve drunk etc. There is no rule for weighing, do what works for you. Sometimes, the scales do not show a loss but you will notice your body changing and your clothes becoming looser even though he scales donโ€™t always show it. I find weight loss fascinating and do not understand the science but I know this way of eating works.

Iโ€™ve never logged on fitness pal so I will leave that to another forum member to help you. I started this way of life very simply by just cutting the white carbs, Pasta, potatoes, rice, bread etc. i ate three meals a day. I did not use time restricted eating or fasting until last year to help me with maintenance. If you read the book and follow the advice then you will see results. I will look forward to seeing how you progress, I will be posting my weekly weight loss on Tuesday.

Hope youโ€™re over the carb flu now and feeling better. The heat was awful this week but one good thing was that we were all probably drinking loads of water.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone, I’ve had quite a stressful week and have not been doing so well with my eating and exercise. The good news though is that my flat has officially sold now and the purchase of the farm is still on track. Now that my flat is sold and I won’t have anymore viewings, I feel like I can start cooking again and messing up the kitchen without the pressure of getting it back to showroom condition immediately after. I will need to start using up things in my cupboards as I have to be moved out of here in 8 weeks, and it may be a couple weeks after that before I can move into the farmhouse. I am so relieved about being able to get out of the flat and being able to live in a less populated area, hopefully before the second wave of Covid starts. The inspection on the farmhouse came back with quite a few issues that need to be fixed. Nothing really major, but more than I was expecting, so I am feeling a little more nervous about the size of project I will be taking on. But it is exciting as well.
    Good to see the thread so active and people having success. I feel like I’ve lost ground over the last 2 weeks but stress has always been my biggest issue as it just throws a spanner in my efforts to be healthy. I’m going to use the next few days to relax and get back on track with my exercise and to prepare some healthy meals for the week ahead.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello Eowyn, I have been using TRE for sometime now and found it helped in both the weight loss phase and during maintenance too.

I have never used apps to track cals etc., keeping all my records in an excel spreadsheet, but any exercise has always been within the 800cal bracket, so haven’t used calories burned in exercise, to offset any extras eaten.

As for weighing, really that’s a very personal issue and depends on your mental/emotional approach. I have always weighed daily, at more or less the same time. Yes, it can be tough to see unwanted or unexpected negative results, but in the main I’ve been able to use those to spur me on to stay on track, just as I would with more positive results. However, if you know you find no loss or even small gains would have a negative impact on you emotionally, it’s probably best to weigh less frequently. Really, there is no right or wrong in this regard, do what feels comfortable for you.

Are you including enough fats in you meals? It’s important for feeling sated and so would probably help with regard to the post meal hunger pangs. If you are already getting plenty of fat in your meals, it might just be that your body hasn’t yet adjusted to the new regime and when it does, the pangs will be history.

Arcticfox, congratulations on the property front. Moving is always stressful … I don’t envy you that aspect of your new venture. Hope in these stressful weeks, you will be able to eat to BSD principles and make good food choices as often as you can, even if you are not able to adhere strictly.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi Eowyn,
    I always weigh daily after using the loo- I input if into my fitbit app and on a Saturday it gives me my weekly average which I count as my weight for the week…the advantage of this is it should cancel out random daily bloats or losses or whatever.
    I also use myfitnesspal (linked to my fitbit app) BUT unlike all diets I’ve done before, I do not give myself extra calories to eat if I exercise- altho occasional days at 900 by accident- so far so good, this diet is working for me better than any I have ever tried before- week 3.5 and 10 lbs down.

Good luck, Clare x

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

I’ve been weighing daily, and unlike previous diets, my weight has been very stable (no daily fluctuations). I did find it demoralising last week when after continuing drops I had 5 days with no weight loss, so you do need to be able to ‘take’ that if you are going to weigh every day. I love Tulip’s averaging approach. I also recommend taking waist measurements – on past diets it’s been reassuring when the scales haven’t moved but my waist measurement has gone done, as in the end that’s the most important thing.

Unlike most people here, I am not on 800 calories a day, but instead, 1150 as I find this far more manageable. That is all low carb, which is an absolute god send in terms of culling my rampaging appetite. However, I do run most days and have upped my distances recently with the aim that my net calories will still be low. I still haven’t seen any evidence that 800 is some kind of magic number, nor that exercising more so you are on the same number of net calories is not basically the same and as I find that much easier, that’s my approach. We’ll see how that works!

I did do TRE in my first week, but I felt terrible in the first week and abandoned that for the relief of having breakfast – which is where I got my extra calories from! It was also a huge relief to be able to start having milky tea throughout the day again!

And I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but you should mostly ignore the amazing weight loss you’ll get in the first week. It’s mostly water and it’ll all go back on when you start eating more normally again. Perhaps give yourself 2lbs of that as being fat loss and treat the slower amounts from week 2 onwards as being the real amount lost (and, when you stop, do allow for that water returning to your body and expect a normal weight gain that isn’t fat gain).

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I will reply properly later, very busy watching Christopher Robin movie…. just thought Iโ€™d share some Pooh wisdom….

I always get to where I am going, by walking away from where I have been.

Very wise little bear.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Really loving that quote, Julz!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Today is my 4 year anniversary of starting this WOE. I have only gained 3lbs and managed to keep my BG, cholesterol and triglycerides within normal range (although I am still on some diabetes meds). As I never really reached a goal weight and starting from a good place I thought I would start from scratch. I stick to the plan all week, lose weight then slip up at the weekend so I am going to give it my all and see if I can lose a stone. I have 7 weeks before my holiday – if that ever happens. I didnt want to start a new thread as I dont post very often but I will try to keep myself motivated by dipping into the weekly threads. Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hi all, well done on your successes big and small, all movements in the right direction. Also well done to those of you just getting started. Woo hoo! Many benefits to be had…
    WindyJulz, feel for you on this winding path!
    I’ve just checked my measurements as despite no discard this week I do feel different. Have lost a couple more inches here and there. My friend commented on how my tummy is shrinking. Result!
    Also my jeans which should be a tight fit are all saggy round my bottom and thighs, quite unflattering but happy they are this way. Time for a new pair methinks! ๐Ÿ˜
    Trying to keep appreciating my body for where it is and how it’s got me to this point despite much abuse. Amazing!
    Weigh in tomorrow, who knows? I’ll let you know…. ๐Ÿงก๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ

• posted by Tulip1
    on

What’s TRE guys? x

on

Time Restricted Eating, a bit like fasting but not totally strict.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Iโ€™m fasting today. I so want a good loss on Tuesday. I plan to go through to lunchtime tomorrow from 7pm last night. Iโ€™ve done 42 hours a few times previously but not recently so I will see how things go. If I can manage it then I am going to do it once per week! Iโ€™ve got water, coffee, peppermint tea, raspberry tea, and peppermint & licorice tea to help me. Iโ€™ve just done a 7000 step walk so I am on track to hopefully get some fat moving.

Hope youโ€™re all having a good weekend!

on

Sunshine girl- happy BSD anniversary and many congratulations on only putting on 3lb. That is so impressive. You have been very supportive over the years and I have no doubt that you will achieve your stone weight loss over the next seven weeks. I too am hoping to lose a few pounds to get back to my 2017 goal weight so I will be happy to share the journey with you.

on

Hi CC, it is not that I am really ‘good’, just that I know what carbs do to my blood sugars so I have never really gone back to eating them. On the odd occasion when I have a bread roll in a restaurant I always know I will pay for it the next few days. For me it has always been about my health and not about weight. Although I could do with a stone or so off.

• posted by JGwen
    on

TRE is when you restrict your eating on a day into a specific period of time. For example 16:8 or 20:4 means that you don’t take in calories for 16 or 20 hours and your calorie intake occurs within an 8 or 4 hour window. – Fasting is the term that applies for more then 24 hours of not eating.

• posted by Britta
    on

Gooseberry fool! Just when I thought that after 9 weeks I wasn’t vulnerable to this sort of stuff, I ate one of the kids’ portion of gooseberry fool. As I was eating it, I acknowledged that I would be paying for this for days, that I was sabotaging hitting my 2 stone milestone (missing 1lb), that I would be terribly disappointed in myself … but I still ate it. I’m not quite sure what happened, but there you go, turns out I’m not quite immune to puddings and cakes after all. Or maybe I’m just not immune to gooseberries (amazing gooseberry harvest this year unfortunately!). Fortunately I was too full to eat a lot of it. But still, first time in 9 weeks I’ve done this sort of sabotage, so I’m just posting it here to prevent myself from sweeping it under the carpet. It’s done and its behind me, and I’ve made a mental note not to be too complacent about the seductive power of sugar.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Britta, you’ve owned it, learnt from it, now put it behind you and get right back on track. It’s likely that this transgression won’t impact too greatly, but now you know to be vigilant of gooseberry and sugar going forward. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hello everyone ๐ŸŒž
    Weighed in and I’m 2llbs lighter. Yay! And I think I may have stopped retaining water on the lead up to my period, another NSV.
    I’m 2.5llbs away from my half way point and 3lbs from a total discard of 2st.
    I keep catching myself in the mirror and can’t believe how different my face looks. Cheekbones!
    I feel quite settled and I’m trying to work on the mental side of things ie this is for life this WOE. Also looking more at the idea that food is not the focus and though there to be enjoyed it’s more about it sustaining me to do all the other things I enjoy. I have a new lease of life, I’ve had some very dark times in my life and something has shifted. Monumental! (Need to not get too evangelical and bore everyone to tears ๐Ÿ˜‚)
    Feeling all emotional now!
    Hope you’re all doing well, much love ๐Ÿงก๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Oh Rosyapple, I’m not an overly outwardly emotional person, but you just about have me grinning with happy tears!I’m so pleased you are back in a positive place and that really this WOE is having such a positive effect on your life, wellbeing and happiness! I stood in a queue outside the butchers the other day and could help but stare at my reflection in the door, it is different, and for the first time in my life if felt pretty much “normal” sized! (helped possible by the 2 fairly round ladies next to me – is that bad to say?!)

So I am ok with the lack of loss last week, was a bit sad on saturday, had 3 meals and a pudding, but no alcohol, so calories were over. Discovered where 1 apple has 19g sugar, a stalk rhubarb has less than 1 so stewed it with some red berries and whipped into some double cream. Not ideal when trying to do 800 calories, but for maintenance – it was amazing – so so tart and tasty!
    Anyhoo, I’m still on the waggon and keen to really start nailing this a bit better. I do generally do 16:8 so I’m going to swtitch it up, as like Olive, the reading suggests fasting is a good way to boost it so fasting app downloaded and I’m going to do 3 x 23 hour fasts, so one meal a day. This should keep calories in check. And I’ll still look to cut back dairy a little -Sunny, its mostly cos I’m inclined to over eat them (cheeeese Gromit!), or have a yogurt in addition to my meal which pushes calories over! By telling myself i need to cut them back I should be more likely to stay PROPERLY under the 800 calories….. i fear i have been smuggling some extra calories in and not fessing up to them! So today is back coffee and water until 5pm.

Britta – bless your gooseberry fool…… good mental learning for you and certainly if thats the only ‘cheat’ you’ve had, I wouldnt be too worried. See above re rhubarb – can you make a no sugar gooseberry fool with just the fruit and cream? IT would be taste bud tingling but might hit the spot?! I made toffee cheese cake for OH and Dad on saturday – even licking my fingers had me squirm and realise i have no desire to eat anything that sweet ever again – gadz! I am so in the place to know, accept and be ok with this being a way of eating for life, with the odd hic-up i’m sure!

Lovely seeing ‘old-timers’ getting back involved, well done on the maintenance, gives us hope, but also lets us see we are human and we will proably always strive to be “better” – whatever that is!

Still happier with how i look, noticing differences in my body – more definition in muscles, baggy bits in even my size 12s around my hips (still cant belive i can buy size 12s and put them straight on….. previously i’d have struggled to do that in a 14 and I’d have had more muffin top in my 16s than i seem to in my 12s…… so there are steps forward!

Oh and I was saving it for the positives thread but i’m too excited not to share here as well…… the dressage championships which I was due to take my wee horse to in April but was cancelled….. MIGHT run in August!! How exciting would that be!? Its a big journey from our corner of the county but I reckon we are still keen to go!! Not often the opportunity arises! Bit more motivation to look even more awesome (ok normal) but then!!

Have a good monday all

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,
    Sounds like a good morning all around today.
    I had weigh in today and lost 0.5 kg since last week – yeah! Pleased with that as have been feeling really bloated with period.
    Starting first 23 h fast today (or rater after dinner last night), planning to go until dinner tonight. WindyJulz, will you do Mon, Wed, Fri with fasting? That is my plan, let’s see how it goes. Have a jug of lemon water next to me on the desk ๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿฅ›, will be lots of that. Have slight feeling of UTI after first outdoor swim of the season in the weekend – plan to “wash” it away with lemon.
    A great week to you all!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Yup, Olive we can be fasting buddies, Monday Wednesday Friday for sure. Tuesday and Thursday will be 2 meals and 16:8.
    I’ve had a morning pint of cider vinegar, cinnamon and ginger water, will now be fuelled by black coffee and fizzy water i think. Where were you outdoor swimming? Pool or sea? Been years since i did that other than a paddle boarding session i did year before last – that was fun and in open sea on a glorious day! WE do have an outdoor pool in out local town but its NE Scotland – not often appealing, and when it is it is mobbed! Not open now though!

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi WindyJulz. Yey for fasting week! Anyone else is welcome to tag along.
    My swimming was in a lake, 23 degrees in the water so not bad. It’s a quite deep lake, love it when it’s cold further down, but the surface is nice and warm. The dip was slightly ruined by me and my daughter spotting a swimming snake (!) just as we climbed out. Close encounter with nature!

• posted by Lulu16
    on

Hi everyone. I’ve been reading all of your posts on these weekly threads for a while and thought I’d join the beginning of the new one, which I’ve just realised is tomorrow (I wondered why so many people seemed to weight themselves on Tuesday…)
    My story – I started the Blood Sugar Diet (or Fast 800) in mid-January this year after reading something by Prof Roy Taylor in the paper. I always thought my weight was okay, but I’d been kidding myself for years and it was creeping up. I was diabetic during pregnancy so I knew I was high risk for diabetes in middle age, and although I hadn’t yet been diagnosed with it I kind of felt it was on the way.
    I was really grateful to have read the article (I then bought two of MM’s books and read them too). I’m grateful to have come across this forum too, I’ve found a lot of support here, even if I have only lurked until now!
    So, I lost about twenty pounds, I’d reached my goal weight and was delighted. It wasn’t easy at first cutting out so many calories, but it worked. It was now mid-March, so I entered lockdown in a really good frame of mind, cooking much better for myself and the family – I felt very lucky.
    I’ve had various emotional stuff to deal with in the last few months – I won’t go into details, but I haven’t resorted to eating to deal with my emotions. I have slipped back a bit, but I’ve only put on a few pounds. I still hover around ten stone, which was my original goal and the weight at which I thought all my problems would be solved. But my waist still measures 34 inches – better than the 38 inches it was when I started, but it still puts me in the danger zone for diabetes and apparently dementia (I read this in the paper yesterday).
    There’s a lot of fat as well as loose skin in that area so I guess I have no choice except to start the diet again. My BMI is about 21 I think, and I’ll keep an eye on that so I won’t end up dangerously thin, but I suspect friends and family will think I am overdoing it if I lose more weight.
    Does anyone else have this problem with their waist measurement? If so, how do you tackle it? Thanks.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

WindyJulz, your encounter at the butcher’s window made me laugh! Not bad to say, just an observation!
    Just been shopping myself and bought all sorts of deliciousness. I’m really pleased that I’ve relaxed into deciding what I eat at each meal time as I go along. The obsessive meal planning was doing my head in and taking up too much time. I’m blown away by how far I’ve come physically and mentally in just 9 weeks. No turning back ๐Ÿ˜Š
    ๐Ÿงก๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ

on

Just completed a 40 hour fast. If I hadnโ€™t been going food shopping this morning I would have continued to lunchtime but I was worried that it might feel lightheaded whilst driving. Just eating some Greek yoghurt with raspberries and a donut peach and some pecans. Felt OK and inspired to do a 36 plus fast once a week. Iโ€™ll weigh in tomorrow and am hoping the week Iโ€™ve done will show on the scales. Iโ€™ve put in 100% effort this week.

Lovely to see some Monday morning positivity on a very rainy morning here in the North West of England.
    Have a good day everyone, make good choices and letโ€™s keep on our journey with the end goal in sight! Iโ€™ll be trying on the elusive white jeans tomorrow. Itโ€™s only June and so there may be a chance that I might squeeze into them In summer if I stick to the strict regime.

Thank you to everyone for inspiring me to get myself back on track. This week there has been NO NONSENSE!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Just checking in to say hi to wendleg. I hope your last two weeks at work are not proving too difficult – probably a real mix of emotions! Thinking of you. One more week to go!

• posted by Britta
    on

It seems June has almost gone, which is quite mad. May was better weight loss wise for me, but hey ho, slow weight loss is also weight loss. I survived the week and the gooseberry incident by the skin of my teeth with a 2lb loss, still 1 annoying lb away from the 2 stone mark, which seems to have been particularly difficult to reach. I’m sure there’s some sort of gravity problem involved… I’m almost certain I can do better next week! The rain is relentless and being a fair weather exerciser that seems to be the perfect excuse to not move much… So I suppose I’ll have to make that my new goal. 1 hour walk every day this week will probably do my mental health a lot of good anyway. I’m terribly lazy, so don’t forget to check up on me please…

Well done on getting through another week everyone!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Britta, walking has pretty much saved my mental health though lockdown, and its doable even when energy levels are low. Great plan for you, though you have done amazingly well! Quite jealous of the 2st…. I’m struggling to get to the 1.5 milestone.

Super post ClarinetCathy – impressed with the no nonsense – go you!

Yup – thinking about you Wendyleg – hope its going ok….

• posted by shammy
    on

Hello all, thought i’d join again as I am seeing my nurse on Friday for my first fortnightly weigh in. I cant master the 800 calories and exercise its either 800 calories and I daren’t do too much exercise or I will eat, or I throw caution to the wind exercise like mad feel faint and eat more than 800 calories. As you can imagine I am yo-yoing between the two and whilst I haven’t put any weight on I haven’t lost any either. Suggestions would be welcome xx

• posted by Britta
    on

Hi Shammy. There are many different approaches to this. I barely did any exercise the first 8 weeks and lost lots of weight anyway. There’s no way I would have managed the 800 calories if I had been doing lots of exercise, especially in the beginning. But now where weightloss is slowing down and I have become used to living on 800-ish calories I’m thinking exercise might help push things a little bit, and also I am increasingly feeling the effect of lockdown on my mental health, so I am introducing it also to help with that.

Julz I’m convinced there is something about that 1.5 – 2 stone interval… like wading through treacle! Suspect it could also be something about the 7-9 week mark perhaps? It has taken me almost as long to lose that half stone as it took to lose the first 1.5 stone!

• posted by Kevlondon
    on

i agree about exercise, my first week anniversary is tomorrow and I haven’t really done any exercise all week. Hoping the 800 cals alone will be enough to shift a decent amount of weight.
    I’m T2 and the biggest change in my first week has been blood sugar – my waking level on day 1 was over 12, since day 3 it’s been consistently below 6, often below 5 and this afternoon it dipped below 4, which is not so good. We’ve followed the recipes in the book religiously, although have occasionally packed out the smaller meals with extra green veg. So far we’ve loved everything we have eaten, although last night’s chicken casserole was a bit watery according to the Mrs. We’ve been well prepared and are spending a lot to keep the fridge full of fresh veg and the cupboards full of every ingredient we might need. Really hoping we can keep the willpower going – we’re a pair of classic yoyo dieters, having lost around 5st each on Slimming World 10 years ago and then slowly put it all back on. Hopeful this will be more of a permanent lifestyle change, especially as my T2 diagnosis came since the original weight loss and regain.
    Would still appreciate some tips on snacks – got back from running a few errands earlier and was starving – avoided the temptation of the fresh banana bread the Mrs had made for the kids and instead grabbed a handful of peanuts again. I love them, but too many calories when you’re trying to stick to 800. Someone suggested cold boiled eggs, which I’ll try and sort out. What else do people suggest – I was thinking free veg crudites like little broccoli florets dipped in homemade tzatziki or similar? If I make a 200g portion and keep it in the fridge all week, would that be relatively virtuous as long as the raw veg is all free stuff?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks caronl, thanks Julz…it does feel a bit weird right now . This is my last week at school…just a few days left before I hang up my satchel !!! I think I will be ok but I reckon I need some time to adjust…after 21 years in the same school. I am one of the dinosaurs !!

Enough of this frivolity .I must go and set up the new weekly thread

Wendy x

• posted by shammy
    on

thanks Britta – i’ll have a go xxx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Exercise has always been an issue for me, I have good intentions, but maintaining motivation is not something I manage well. Despite rarely doing much in this regard, I successfully achieve target, ridding myself if a bit more than 3st and continue to maintain. Yes, it might have influenced the speed of loss, but it’s hard to say as historically, I have always lost slowly.

I would say until your body has adjusted to the new regime, perhaps concentrate on the cals and carbs. Once your energy levels rise later on, you can add in the exercise again.

• posted by Britta
    on

Kevlondon you’re probably not going to like my advice on snacks, but I’ll give it anyway… it is “no snacks!” The first couple of weeks you’ll think you won’t survive without them, then something magic happens, where your body stops craving them, and your blood sugar stays stable. Snacks were always my downfall. I ate a healthy(ish) diet, but I ate all the time. So for this I went cold turkey and spent “all” my calories on 3 meals a day. It’s like any type of cold turkey, you have to really dig deep, drink lots of water, distract yourself, but it is really surprising how quickly your body accepts the change. There are other approaches of course, but I really do recommend this.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I have set up the new weekly thread everyone !
    One week at a time beginning June 30th 2020 xxx

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi Kevlondon,
    About snacks, I agree with Britta. They were my downfall in the past, and really it is possible to wean yourself off them.
    You might want to think about that when you eat is almost as important as what you eat. It’s important to give the body a rest between meals, give the insulin a chance to sink so you can break down fat instead.
    I’ve eaten like this for 6 months now and it’s no more than 3 meals a day (nowadays also two or one). Not saying that snacksidents never happen, but I try to have something just after food if possible.
    Best of luck, am sure you can get rid of this crutch if you decide to.

on

Hi Kevlondon, Can i firstly say congrats on your BG improvements. Yes it can happen that quick and yes, the 4.0 might seem a bit scary, it used to freak me out. Your body will get used to being that low but in fact it is within the recommended range of between 80 (4.4 so just in) and 120 (6.5). I prefer to stay on the low side and your numbers are probably a bit higher than the actual readings due to 10% tolerance for error. I am afraid I am going to have to partially disagree with what has been said about exercise and snacks. As a diabetic you know you are not to let your numbers drop too low. As Sunny says, you might have to cut back on the exercise for a while until your body gets used to the lower calories. However, if you want to continue exercising I hope I can give you the benefit of my experience. First of all try to plan your exercise within a reasonable time of having eaten. I used to exercise at around 4 pm and be shaking, now I plan it for morning an hour after breakfast or afternoon an hour after lunch. If you are at all worried about BG take a test before you exercise. If it is under 4.5 you might want to give it a miss or have a snack. About snacks. For me they are a very important part of being able to stick to the 800 cals without having a hypo. I try to keep my cals around 700 or 750, this allows me 100 or 50 for snacks. I usually reach for something like a slice of ham or a piece of chicken breast, that boiled egg is good at around 72 cals or save something from your calculated meals so, for instance, on the night I make a giant frittata (I call it clean out the fridge night), with lots of left over veg and 5 eggs between 2 people, I always cut mine into 3/4 for dinner and 1/4 for a snack, so it has already been counted. I dont know what exercise you do or if it takes you away from home, if it does, always have something with you for emergencies, again meat, egg or nuts but not peanunts, the are more oily and salty so not that good for you. A small portion (8 or 10) or almonds is easy to carry. If you feel yourself going hypo (you should know the symptoms) before you reach for a sweet hit try a couple of tablespoons of plain yoghurt with a couple of dried apricots or prunes just to bring you back. You will get to know what works for you. Just keep yourself safe and keep on keeping on… You are doing great.

Please log in or register to post a reply.