ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning June 23rd 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes ..it really is that time again ! I am back at school for the next two weeks until we break up so it was good to see the kids today and even though the circumstances are exceptional, I feel I can end my teaching career ‘ correctly ‘ . I am relieved not to be constrained by the distance learning which is tough on everyone.

So on we go as the easing of lock down measures come into play . Hopefully you can continue to feel good about establishing new habits and look forward to happy times ahead.
    I was wondering about just giving a shout out to the people on the list who haven’t posted and have gone quiet but I think that is probably a bit intrusive ??

So as always I will post the complete list of contributors , however active , and always in the hope that they will find their way back to us when the time is right
    Have a great week everyone
    Wendy and Sunny

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here is our ever growing list

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz

Georgiejeorge
    oLive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles

timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)

PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra

Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm
    SusieMac1957
    Jeremy Fisher
    ClemFlo

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

A much easier week for me this week (my second) on 1150 calories average after 800 in week 1. I ate low carb all week – in fact lower carb than week 1 which was good.

No ‘carb flu’ this week, which was a relief.

But perhaps 800 really is the magic number! I only lost 2lbs this week, and nothing for the last 5 days (8lbs last week).

I’m going to stick with the higher calories for now hoping it turns around because I feel so much better on the higher calorie count – but perhaps I’m going to have to go back to 800!

Hope everyone else had a good week.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Any loss is a step in the right direction, Jeremy, no matter how small. Loss isn’t linear, so it’s not surprising the number was smaller than last week. See how you go over this week and you can tweak the calories anytime if need be. Maybe compromise and pitch between 800 and 1500?

I’m continuing to maintain, so I’m happy with where I am right now. My aim is to continue doing the same as I have been since getting to target again … most days 18:6, but with the odd variation here and there, sometimes with a 24hr fast too.

Anyway, hope we will see lots of those lovely people from Wendy’s list, joining in for another week. The thread has been so active and lively and full of compassion, so let’s keep it going for the coming week as well.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi,I seem to have completely lost focus since posting my first week’s weight loss, haven’t weighed myself but have probably put most of it back on.Well done to all those who are still losing.Dawn

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Don’t worry about the last week, Dawn, these things happen and most of us struggle from time to time. Beating yourself up about it just breds negativity, so draw a line under it and make tomorrow your reboot day. This way of eating is very forgiving and you’ll soon be telling us about good strides in the right direction.

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hello everyone! Another week!
    On a double shift with the girls today which I’ve really enjoyed. I’m feeling a lot calmer than I was a couple of weeks ago, this WOE is having such a positive effect on my mental health. It’s enabling me to cope with the ups and downs of the children. It’s nice.
    I haven’t been tempted by any carbs whilst here which is a massive relief.
    Enjoying my food, a big tofu veggie stir fry with avocado and sesame. Yum!
    Treated myself to a fillet of hake for tomorrow. I’m going to learn to fish for myself sometime soon, it’s something I’ve always wanted to do but the lads I grew up with wouldn’t let a girl join them and it’s been on the back burner ever since. The kind lady on the fish counter in Waitrose has also told me where I can forage for samphire.
    Have a good week all and thanks for setting up the thread Wendy and Sunny 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello Everyone
    I am back on BSD following a mindful day off last week for my birthday, thoroughly enjoyed! I won’t divulge the details of my dalliance but am back on healthy eating again now and hoping for a loss this week. It looks as if I will be coming out of lockdown no bigger than I was when It started but no smaller either! I think that is a win as I could easily have thrown in the towel In March. I am feeling much more content with myself and am working on kindness and balance in my life but am inspired by the enthusiasm and fantastic weight losses achieved over recent weeks and want to be a loser this next few weeks so with that in mind it will be joining in with you all and looking forward to reading about your progress and hope to be able to share some progress of my own! I am going to work hard at getting to 140 lbs over the next few weeks before taking my weight down to 137 lb which will be my 2020 goal.

Have a great week everyone and thank you all for your enthusiasm and tenacity. I am feeling so much more relaxed about the Covid situation that I can seriously put in some SERIOUS effort into losing weight over the next few weeks and to eventually re-achieve my BSD goal weight, three years on!

• posted by Britta
    on

I’m here for week 9. Thanks to my cake extravaganza this weekend I am still 3 lbs shy of my 2 stone milestone, so I’ll do my very best to hit that this week and keep going on the 800 for another 4 weeks. Just in time for the school holidays ( – as if that is going to make any difference to everyday life…).
    I desperately want samphire and hollandaise sauce now (!) but sadly I’m terribly far from the coast, so will have to get it from out local fishmongers instead…

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks Sunny,I will start afresh tomorrow.Dawn

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Good morning everyone. Has anyone else read Dr Moseley’s ” The Clever Guts Diet”?
    I am reading it and it is an eye opener.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Can’t say I’ve ever seen samphire here in Australia, I googled it and it says a species of it is grown here. It looks a bit different to the one grown in the UK tho. Still it probably tastes about the same. Dunno if they sell it where I am.
    Didn’t bother weighing myself this morning, I really didn’t want to know if I’ve lost or put any on, maybe tomorrow.
    I haven’t read that book as yet Riccoh but it’s on my list.
    Have a good one people’s

😊🖐️

• posted by GreenGal
    on

Britta .. I love Hollandaise and A few weeks agO I found this super easy recipe for microwave Hollandaise … so tasty and sooo easy .. I have it on so many different things .. eggs and spinach or eggs and bacon 🥓 eggs and mushrooms 🍄.. asparagus and bacon .. ooooo it just is a little bit of luxury.. the spare egg whites i save and whip into my scrambled eggs 2 eggs and 2 whites and it makes a lovely FLUFFY scramble ..
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233971/quick-and-easy-hollandaise-sauce-in-the-microwave/
    I would just say to microwave 3 x at 5-8 secs time and whip in between and Voila! GreenGal 🥦

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Greengal,
    The hollandaise looks easy enough for me not to stuff it up. Will definitely give that a go 😊 thank you for that recipe link.
    😊🖐️

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hello everyone 🌞
    Seems I’ve got your taste buds going with the mention of samphire, I’ll let you know when I find some…
    Just been for my walk, it’s a lovely morning here in Dorset. Contemplating doing some Pilates at some point though just considering how I will fit that into my routine at the moment!! I feel like I need that something extra especially with regards to toning. Still a little concerned about loose skin but moisturizing every time I shower. I’m appreciating my body much more for the darling that it is. The constant striving and repairing, I think it just wants to be it’s best. It’s coming!…. and I am learning to appreciate every step of the way.
    Wishing you all a successful day and big thanks to you all for being here 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I’m in for the week. Started well, good day yesterday, 100% on plan, no snacking. I’ve dropped milk and cream from all coffees to see if it helps keep within the magic 800 and lost the yogurt and berries i was having as a pudding as it was becoming a pud after every meal type habit so that needs reining in and going back to becoming a treat!
    I’ve started today with a cider vinegar, ginger, lemon, cinnamon drink having seen a video and done some reading on metabolism….. who knows, it might help. Was surprisingly tasty though. 17000 steps in the bag yesterday, meditation at night, rode at lunchtime with my neighbour and worked young horse in the evening. Feeling more up beat and determined which is nice….. Rosyapple I think you are rubbing off on me with all the positivity!

Good to see so many people driving this thread and feeling the benefits of the way of eating and the community. How lovely!!

Have a good tuesday peopels.

• posted by zuzuvela
    on

Hello all, more positives here. Today I’m 1kg away from what I was hoping to be at the end of the first stage (76.5kg). I still have almost 3 weeks to go so I might smash my goal! The only issue is that I’m going to travel next week and I’ll either stay with family or get a hotel room for a few nights (depending on how things work out…). Either way, it’s going to be tricky to stay on the diet. I’ll probably have to take a few days off, but make sure I stick with healthy options. After those couple of days, I’ll have more control over what I eat. In mid-July I’ll switch over to intermittent fasting 3 days a week. I’m full very quickly at the moment so I can’t see myself going back to my previous portion sizes, so that will help.

• posted by Britta
    on

I’m going to the fishmongers later! I haven’t got a microwave so I’ll have to go the long way around on the hollandaise, but that’s ok. I am saving a fair bit of money not going to work (trains, coffees, snacks…) so Im trying to spend that on buying slightly nice food – like the most expensive cherry tomatoes in the shop!
    Cake weight finally gone (that took 3 days!), so on we go.

Riccoh I also really like the clever guts book. Especially understanding about the sugar beasties (I can’t remember what they are actually called) and their role in cravings has been quite eye opening. For those who haven’t read it I’d recommend it too (or just read about gut microbiome on the internet if you can’t get to a bookshop).
    Have a good day!

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone .As usual you are all lively and positive.Im still chipping away at changing my habits.I had a loss at the weekend and was quite pleased until I realized that I was dehydrated. I continue to be on plan till dinner but over eat in the evenings.Im trying to focus by thinking that not gaining is still a win and staying consistent will eventually bring results.Have a the aa t week everyone

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,
    I’m still in. Had a good week last week, so had lost 1 kg yesterday morning.
    Went to the gym this morning to train with my PT, have done a couple of sessions since start of the year with training at home in between. I started it to strengthen muscle around my hips after long time of chronic inflammation (years) that was treated with a couple of cortisone shots at the start of the year. I can hardly believe the progress I’ve made (nor can my PT 😊). Of course loosing 14 kg helps, but am starting to tone those muscles in the thigh-bum-abdomen area. I can really recommend this for toning. I had never been to a PT before, but she is great and really adjust things to my level – and she is really pushing me to my limit as well, which can be hard to do on your own.
    I haven’t read MMs book on clever gut, but I did read another that I can recommend: “Food pharmacy – A Guide to Gut Bacteria, Anti-Inflammatory Foods, and Eating for Health” by Lina Aurell and Mia Clase. One of the things discussed in the book is how to teach yourself and your children to get comfortable without sugar – so needed in todays society.
    At the moment I’m reading Jason Fungs “Obesity code” and it is a real eye opener. I go from desperately reading to get to the next point to wanting to throw the book at the wall from being so angry in how we have all been tricked and conned for so long. I’m forcing my other half to read it and will for sure change some of patterns of eating in our family.
    Have a great week all!

on

Feeling very focused and positive today. Coffee with a little cream for breakfast, a walk of 7000 steps mid morning morning and lunch was two hard boiled eggs and some rocket and a little coleslaw. I think the easing of lockdown and the Covid threat level being reduced has given me a sense of well-being and renewed positivity. I am going to aim to lose 5lb in two weeks!! I am going to attack this with the same amount of enthusiasm as I did in 2017 by being strict and focused and there is going to be absolutely NO nonsense!

I am going to incorporate a fast on Sunday this week. If possible I will do 42 hours from Saturday evening to Monday Lunchtime. I’ve done it before , the first 24 hours are the most difficult but after that it’s easy! I’ll also be drinking apple cider vinegar every day to help with my metabolism. It’s an acquired taste and once acquired, rather pleasant!

So here’s to a good week for us all. Thank you for inspiring me to get myself sorted out once and for all. I am going to be a loser! FACT!

• posted by zuzuvela
    on

Great to hear all those positive stories! After a few busy weeks (months really…) at work, I finally had a day to catch up with things. I went for two walks and had a bunch of radishes for lunch – very light but it fills me up these days. It’s interesting to see that this effect on my appetite, which I also noticed when doing 5:2. At the time my appetite was reduced for ages after I stopped doing the fast days so it continued to have an effect.

• posted by EC
    on

hello all!
    good to hear so much positivity this week
    I’m on week eight of my first round-I’ll be in for the next!! (and the next until I feel I’m where I want to be-probably between 6-10 kg more down)
    Most days have been pretty much on track-with only very minor deviations
    Did a huge batch cook on Monday so no excuses this week!!-CCathy I’ve also just reinstated cider vinegar and enjoying it too
    happy to draw a line under last week -and hope I never have to see another funeral on zoom….looking forward to a friend’s wedding next month-what a strange world we’re all currently in!
    glad to report a tiny (2cm) reduction in waist and more clothes loosening-I’m definitely not losing fast, but steadily
    We’ve had rain, rain and more rain here the past few days so walks have been short-but yoga a few days a week (pilates today-promise!!)
    wishing you all a good week!

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hello everyone 🌞
    It’s good to see you all in a positive frame of mind!
    I’m coasting along here, sticking to 3 meals, a 14 hour fast each day and a walk on the mornings I’m not working with Sunday as a rest day.
    Today I’m going to make my own version of a Spanish (ish) soup with leftover hake and roasted tomatoes. Really enjoying cooking at the moment and eating of course! I feel very liberated not being slave to the carbs. I even resisted a pecan tart that a friend brought over yesterday. In fact she was being such a dear friend that she wasn’t going to part with it after I explained the WOE to her. She’s impressed with the results so far. Me too!
    Have a good day all, it’s going to be a hot one here in England. Much love 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by LR800
    on

Hi all,

Hope you’re all well and not too hot in the sunshine this week!

First time poster but I’ve been reading the forum since I’ve started the diet, of which I’m on my third week. Just wanted to check if what I’m seeing is normal! The first week I lost 8.6lbs and the second week I lost 3.8lbs. I realised that the first week would always be more rapid so expected it to slow down. However, I’m in week three this week and at the beginning of my third week (Monday) saw a gain of 1.4lbs, and have gone up and down around 147lbs since.

Is this normal? And anything I’m doing wrong? I did go round to my parents on Saturday and ate on plan, I did have one of the beetroot brownies that are recommended as a treat in the fast800 book and a medium glass of wine, but counted all my calories and stayed within 800 for the day and actually lost weight on the Sunday?! But could the glass of wine be catching up with me a few days later?

I’ve been super careful with staying on plan, fasting mostly 14/15 hours a day and having berry compote and yoghurt for breakfast, omelette wrap or lettuce wraps for lunch and one of the dinners with cauliflower rice and salad.

Any advice for a newbie much appreciated and nice to meet you all (virtually)!

• posted by Britta
    on

Hi LR800

Welcome to the forum and great work! You’re doing exactly the right thing, your weight loss sounds like textbook. You lose a lot of water at first so after a few weeks your body takes a bit of a breather… Weight loss does slow down after the first few weeks and from here on you’ll have some weeks where you don’t lose much. Don’t despair, that’s all in good order. If you take measurements as well you’ll probably find that your measurements are still changing even if the scales are not.
    You’re doing the right thing!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello LR and welcome to the forum. Famously week 3-4 is one that disconcerts people, as the loss wobbles. It’s seems to be the week when the body takes stock of what’s going on and has to adjust to the new regime being longer term. That small blip up on the scales might have been due to the alcohol, I always find it messes with weight loss, even when not going over on calories or carbs. Think this is due to the way the liver processes it, although I have no concrete evidence to back that up, other than personal observation.

Be assured you are doing just fine, with good results so far and I sure you’ll be reporting more excellent progress soon. So don’t panic, just keep plugging away and doing what you’ve been doing so far.

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

Hi LR. I only lost 2lbs in week 2 after 8 in week one, and no weight loss for 5 days which was depressing and challenging because I felt I was doing all the right things. But in the last 2 days another 1lb has dropped off so I’m going in the right direction now. You’re doing all the right things – just keep it up and the results will come.

On another note I measured my waste today. 39″. For someone who takes pride in being fit, that’s really depressing. Although it did boost my motivation to keep going.

I did my second ketosis measurement today, and my reading was up from 1.5 last week to 4 this week, so I’ve obviously been doing the right things carb-wise, although that perhaps looks a little high. The stips don’t really give precise measurements though so I think it’s okay. Does anyone else use these? What sorts of measurements do you get?

• posted by Eowyn
    on

Hi everyone, I am starting today. Can I join your thread please. I would welcome some support and inspiration. Thank you x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Eowyn, you are most welcome to join our merry crew! We’ll be delighted to share in your journey and offer any support, advice or encouragement we can. Feel free to confide your ups and downs, we endeavour to be a compassionate group, so that people feel they can share both their successes and stumbles too, without fear of judgement. Looking forward to getting to know you.

• posted by LR800
    on

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for all your words of wisdom and support, very reassuring to hear! I’ll keep on plugging on and let you know of any progress 🙂

Jeremy, I’ve been using the strips for ketosis measurement and have usually been at the moderate level but I think I read here that the strips aren’t very accurate?

Also with measurements, I’m sure those fluctuate too, they do for me depending on if I feel bloated or not!

And Hi Eowyn! Good luck on your journey!

on

A warm welcome to new starters and joiners to our way of eating (WOE). You will be surprised how effective this WOE is and how quickly you can adapt and how your hunger can be controlled once you ditch the carbs. My advice to new members is not to compare your weight loss with others. We all lose weight and inches differently; sometimes the scales don’t show a loss but your clothes suddenly feel loose and you can see bony protuberances you never had before! I remember that I lost significant weight from my shoulders and knees!!! the initial weight loss obviously slows down but just keep going and you will get to where you want to be. This friendly forum group has kept me going through thick and thin and still does. This WOE is for life. You’ll be amazed how effective it is and possibly completely different to anything you’ve done before.

Looking forward to following your progress.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Feeling much more focused after reading everyone’s positive posts.Had lovely cheese crusted omelette last night (I think someone on the forum recommended the diet doctor recipe a while ago) with chilli and salad.Made smoothie for breakfast and had chicken salad for lunch.finding it much easier to drink lots of water in this hot weather! Dawn

• posted by zuzuvela
    on

I had a bit of a slip-up today, too much chocolate. It’s that time of the month so I have cravings. I’m back on track for dinner tonight and tomorrow of course. The main lesson from having had this in previous dieting attempts is that you have to get back to the diet and stick to your plan!

Next week will see a few days off-plan in the sense that it will be harder to control my diet. I wonder if this is the time to move on to 4:3. That might be more realistic over the next few weeks. For context, I’m in Week 11 and I had planned to finish the 800 calories phase in mid-July. I’m very happy with my weight loss so far (16kg) but I still have about 14kg to lose to get to a healthy weight.

• posted by zuzuvela
    on

Another message of encouragement to the newcomers. I’m in Week 11 of Fast800 and my experience was similar to what people mention above: I stalled in Week 3 or 4 (can’t remember exactly!). I lost a lot in the first two weeks and it varies every week now, but never as much as in the first 2 weeks. A tip is to try to do some weight training (I do upper body weights and pilates) so that you build muscle. Make sure you drink enough water because dehydration can slow down your weight loss.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi LR 800 ! Hi Eowyn ! , welcome both !

You probably know all this but I am reposting my message to anyone starting out , to offer a few guidelines

I assume you have had time to read the Fast 800 book so you understand the basic principles ? It means a radical shift in thinking . It’ s important for the first 8 weeks to keep calories low ( 800) and that means planning meals to include protein , leafy green veg , healthy fats ( avocado, olive oil, nuts and seeds, Greek yoghurt are Ok ) and avoiding high carb foods ( bread, pasta, rice, starchy veg ) You can keep things simple by avoiding all processed foods and anything low cal or low fat which is often full of sugar or chemical sugar substitutes.
    The Fast 800 book does offer some recipe ideas ( be wary of calories which can be way off) but if you eat breakfast think in terms of eggs and some protein. Do you need to take lunch to work with you ?
    What time do you eat your evening meal ? Again, protein and green salad or leafy veg is the way to go.
    When I first started out ( in September 2018) I recorded everything in a notebook from The Works and I liked having a sort of diary of my progress.I also included my measurements starting out, any recipes I gleaned and also videos and books which were recommended.
    Understanding the role of insulin and keeping blood sugars stable is vital and I found Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code explained this clearly . My reading led me to a serious aversion to processed junk and the demon sugar !
    I am a bit all or nothing so I never tried any low carb substitutes for bread etc although cauliflower rice is a big favourite ! Try to eat natural, whole foods. It’ s important to be aware that you will probably go through a form of carb withdrawal as you start out which can mean headaches, fatigue and brain fog in the early days but it wll pass . Make sure you drink lots of water, herbal tea, black coffee etc to stay hydrated.On the positive side you will feel energised and so much better and it is common to lose 10% of your body weight in the first 8 weeks.
    You can also track your progress on an app. Lots of people use My Fitness Pal or Carb Manager. Find something that works for you.
    We always recommend the Diet Doctor website which is a great resource for recipe, meal plans, videos and very useful articles.
    That’s just for starters but feel free to ask any questions you may have. Our experiences are all different but we are all converts to this low carb programme and relief from years of yo yo dieting !
    The prize is increased energy and health ! All the very best to you

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi everyone – so week 2 has been a bit challenging. Have had a few temptations but have battled through so far. I’m drinking a lot of water (especially due to the hot weather we’re having in the UK!) but haven’t experienced an uptake in energy as yet, but it’s still early days. I’m looking forward to feeling more comfortable in my clothes, especially if the weather stays warm for the next few weeks. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well 🙂

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Welcome to all new people, u will find we are a great bunch of supportive, none judgmental folk here.
    Well I’ve done it I’ve gone from 63.5 down to 62.7 ..yay me 🤸🤸🤸.
    It’s been decades since I did cartwheels in real life 😂😂 probably break my neck if I tried now!!!
    Breakfast was haloumi and fried egg, lunch
    a cold chicken sausage that was begging to be eaten ..no really it was.
    Dinner will probably be yoghurt, berries and linseeds coz I’m too lazy to cook ..hubby is having lamb😝 and pasta..he cooks his own meat usually.. I don’t eat anything with four legs.
    Enjoy the sunshine all you people in the UK , remember to slip, slop, slap..☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
    Slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat 😊😊..
    Have a good one 😊🖐️

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Morning lovely people!
    Weighed in, stayed the same for the second time, PMT maybe? Carbs or cals to high? Better than a gain though…..
    Nothing else much to report!
    Have a good day all 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Welcome newbies – how exciting! You will like it here!

My week is going ok, did a long fast – about 21hrs yesterday, and enjoyed a halloumi salad to break it and some roast cabbage leaf crisps with the remains of the weekends roast beef a little later. Monday was also spot on, tuesday was a little over on the calories.

Rosyapple, I’ve had 2 weeks with no loss, not consecutive but still, and I see a ‘no gain’ as evidence of being stable…. I’m still not feeling secure in myself with this so the stable feeling of no gain after a tough week I was ok with. Really want to get a few weeks with a bit of a discard in though!

Yay, go you Waitaminute…. I almost feel inspired to try a cartwheel…. dangerous!

Have a good day all

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

WindyJulz, I can’t complain as 5llb loss last week!
    Only 4.5llbs til I reach my half way point. I’ve got a figure in mind (slim and fit please!!) but that could change, I’ll see how I go.
    Keep up the good work 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by zuzuvela
    on

Back on track today (a busy work day so not quite enough time to enjoy the nice weather!). Things I usually don’t think about so much suddenly feel more complicated (travel in this case). Following on my earlier musings, I’ve more or less decided to move to 4:3 from next Thursday. It cuts the 12 weeks short by a couple of days, but that’s OK. I’m definitely looking forward to the new challenge of managing the “normal” days and I’m planning to keep counting calories to make sure I don’t derail. My appetite is so small and I feel full very quickly so I hope that helps.

on

Ridiculously hot here today! I think the heat helps curb my appetite. I have had coffee and cream for breakfast, Greek yoghurt with passion fruit and walnuts for lunch and evening meal will be Halloumi, A little red pepper hummus and salad. I had an iced coffee this afternoon which was so refreshing. I am feeling really enthusiastic and in control and determined to be a loser when I weigh myself on Tuesday morning. I will go for a walk later this evening when it has cooled down a little.

Losing weight is a mental challenge and I think we have to be in the right frame of mind. The recent few months have been extremely challenging and I think that is why it’s been so hard for me to get back in the driving seat.

Hope your are all sticking with your plan and if not, tomorrow is another day.

• posted by Kevlondon
    on

Hi all

Newbie here – my wife and I started on Tuesday June 23rd. Both looking to lose 5-6 st, both did well on Slimming World a few years ago but ultimately put it all back on. I’m also T2 so trying to get my blood sugar under control and reverse some of the diabetes symptoms I’ve been suffering from over the past couple of years.

3 days in and it’s going great so far – have even had a couple of 2-meal days. Have had 25g of plain peanuts as a snack mid afternoon, and yoghurt & berries as a pudding when calories allow. We’re hoping to do the 800 thing for 12 weeks, then move to 5:2 and try to do 14:10 or even 16:8.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions, as I can see the portion sizes being a struggle sometimes. Is it true that you can basically add a load of steamed leafy veg or salad leaves to any meal to pad it out without it affecting calories too badly? And can anyone suggest any alternative snacks? I love my peanuts, but at 150+ calories it’s a shocker.

We have the Fast 800 recipe book, would be good to know if there are any other recipe sources you can recommend – as with every diet we’ve ever done, preparation is key. Yesterday we had the roasted chicken with peas, carrots and turnips, tonight is the pork. Had terrible headaches for the first 2 days, luckily they’ve stopped now. But the key for me has always been feeling full after a meal, and having a go-to snack that I can have in emergencies.

Thanks in advance!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Kev, welcome to you and your wife, glad that you have made a good start on this way of eating and the headaches have subsided. You’ll find some really helpful info above, posted by Wendleg, specifically with new starters in mind, some of which might be useful for you at this point

I can’t comment on the veggie question, as personally when I was in weight loss mode, I religiously weighed, measured and recorded absolutely everything consumed, keeping as far as possible within the 800cals and 20g carbs daily.

With regard to alternative snacks, how about kale crisps, or a table spoon of full fat Greek yogurt and a few berries or even a small cube of cheese? You will probably find that after a few weeks, you won’t need snacks, but you’re right, it makes sense to have something BSD friendly on hand, just on case.

To help with feeling full, be sure to factor plenty of good fats into your menus, as this will help with feeling sated and staying that way for longer. Good hydration will also help with that, so be sure to drink plenty and if in doubt, have another glass of water 😁.

Wishing you both every success and hope to be reading of your progress in the coming weeks. Meanwhile, if you need advice or support, please shoit out smc someone will be around to offer a hand.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi and welcome Kev and Mrs Kev 😊,
    I find having a boiled egg helps me when I’m looking for something else or some cheese..if that doesn’t work which is quite frequently at the minute I drink loads of fizzy water..that seems to do the trick😊
    There is loads of great advice from people on here..good luck both of you on your journey..
    Didn’t weigh myself today but measured my waist and have lost half an inch 😁 bonus !!
    Have a good one 😊🖐️

• posted by Rosyapple
    on

Hello friends!
    Oops! Ate extra food late last night. Don’t know what came over me. PMT maybe? 90% chocolate, leftover tempeh and smoked almonds, all measured but WAY over carbs and cals. Extra focus required today.
    Gone back to feeling like a fat person and still classed as obese according to the NHS chart. In a danger zone and don’t want to self sabotage. Feel like I need an extra push in the right direction. It seems I still have a long way to go…..
    Don’t want to **** this up! Feeling a bit panicky and lacking in faith.
    I spent time with a friend yesterday who has never had a weight problem and seems to be able to eat what she likes! Totally supportive of me but it was hard watching her eat Nachos last night even though I was enjoying my meal. On a positive note I did resist tortilla chips and dips. I must count my victories and move on I guess…. the ups and downs hey?
    Have a good day! 🧡🌹🍏

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Come on Rosyapple – here’s your wee shove!!
    Dont worry about how far you have to go – remember how far you have come and that this is a journey, not a destination. You have done so so well, overcome many obstacles and made massive progress!
    I totally understand the ‘fat person’ feeling – people are wired different and our wiring predisposes us to want / need / crave carbs, to over eat and to struggle to process it….thats ok, that who we are. Other people ‘skinny people’ have different wiring….some done want or eat the carbs stuff, others have a responsive ‘off switch’ so they dont over eat and others metabolise it better…. what works for them doesnt work for us. You know what works for you, dont dwell on the others, remind yourself what you are doing and why and how good you have felt about what you have achieved!!
    So you ate too much last night, I empathise – I would have felt ‘hard done to’ as well and come home and come home and ‘treated’ myself…. you ate the right stuff…. just more than needed. Dont panic. Its a good learning opportunity and doesnt mean you have or will **** it up!

Right pep talk over….. go back and read some of your other posts – you got this, you are doing amazingly.

I’ve been reasonably good this week, averaging about 850 cals a day which is an improvement, some longer fasting and less treats / snacks / puddings! Cut back on cream in coffees and yogurt consumption, seems to have brought my calories to about the right levels. Walking is up, working hard and looking after the horses….. pretty tired first thing in the morning, but i used to be a napper – and I cant remember the last time i actually napped – not since starting on this way of eating anyway. Might not have been hit with a massive wave of energy but this is a notable difference, and given how tough the past 12 weeks have been with work and covid I think tired at 6am is to be expected!

Hope your all doing well.

Welcome the newbies! How exciting!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Rosy, please don’t waste time and energy beating yourself up for last night’s small stumble. As Julz says, you have come so far and over come so much, all of which you should be proud and justifiably so – own it, YOU did that. Last night doesn’t define you or how far you’ve come, or indeed your future.

Dust yourself off, turn to face in the right direction and take a step forward, because you can’t influence what happened yesterday, but you get to have a big say on what happens from here on out.

• posted by Kevlondon
    on

Thanks for the welcome – and for the tip about boiled eggs! Probably more satisfying and filling than the peanuts, and less calories too.

Still doing well on day 4, my bloods have decreased dramatically – woke up on day 1 to 12.2, this morning was 5.3 and not really spiking post-meals. The Mrs weighed this morning and last lost 9lbs already – I’m being disciplined and will only weigh every 7 days.

Please log in or register to post a reply.