ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning July 30th

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I think we need this thread more than ever to avoid distractions and just keep focused on our weekly targets however modest they may be, all discussed and shared in a supportive, constructive manner with the occasional gentle nagging from me ! We are all at different stages of the Fast 800, some have diabètes issues, others are here to tackle struggles with weight but we advise and support everyone so they can benefit from our expériences . No question is too much trouble , even if it has been asked umpteen times 😉 We are a generous ,friendly bunch !

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Gosh, where has July gone? Thanks for setting this up, Wendy. Xx

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Count me in. I’m back at square one again and really in need of some support ❤️( as I chew on a chocolate eclair sweet left by my son that I really couldn’t resist…….I’m really my own worst enemy!)

• posted by wendleg
    on

SCOTTISHGAL !!!!!!!!!! I nearly fell off my chair reading about what I thought was a chocolate eclair you had scoffed !! Then I re read and realised it was a sweet ! Even so you are not a dog and you don’t need treats !!

Course you can resist it, it didn’t jump into your mouth and say eat me !

Pack it in SG !! Is your son buying the sweets ? Then tell him to hide them …or to eat nuts 🙂 I don’t want to hear you are buying them SG ?? Read the ingrédients on that pack of chocolate eclair sweets . That processed sugary stuff is not a friend , certainly not with your raised bg levels. So you have to start seeing the sugar/carbs as toxic to you .

I will stop nagging for now …never faraway though xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Well I’m back again for another week! Sorry not to post often but I am here reading/lurking! Hope this is a good week for everyone.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I’m back for another round. SG this is S-G calling. If you want that BG down put that sweetie down.

on

Actually I’m no good at being bossy so just be kind to yourself SG. We can talk more tomorrow.

• posted by wendleg
    on

SG with both of us (gently) nagging Scottishgal, her blood glucose levels will have no chance !!! They will drop in no time !!
    We can do bossy together 😉

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Oh Wendy and SG, your replies were just what I needed tonight. Was heading to the kitchen on the mooch for something nice……but you’re right. I don’t need it. I need to lower bg more than I need something nice.
    Off to bed now……avoiding the kitchen!
    Thank you both x

• posted by Elky
    on

Good morning everyone, just touching base with the new weekly thread.

Wendy, I did laugh at you telling Scottishgal she’s not a dog and doesn’t need treats! Kafin and I have had great discussions about the fact that we might have significant quantities of dog genes… I’m a Labrador and she’s a Beagle…. 😊

Scottishgal, I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you now that the sweets have been scoffed! And well done on staying out of the kitchen when you were in the mood for a scrounge!!

WoodDuckie, don’t worry I haven’t forgotten our Paragon date!! It’s on a note on my fridge, I promise. And who knows by the time we get around to it the weather might be nicer for a drive? I know you are right about the birds suffering in the drought, but I still mourn my camellia. But I forgive them because they bring me so much joy in watching their antics—sounds like you feel just the same. And I know Yuletide, it’s a beautiful camellia. I had two for a while, they were stunning, the wattlebirds just loved them (type of big honeyeater for the non-local reader). Sadly when they got too big for their pots and I tried transplanting them into the ground, they both turned up their toes ☹

Arcticfox, I can’t find where you said it, but I thought I saw somewhere that you are maybe thinking of cycling to work? And that it’s something like 30km? Sorry I have looked but I can’t find where you said that, I am (nearly) sure I didn’t dream it… Anyway, I continue to be very impressed with your cycling efforts!!

BikeyGuy, love the idea that you’re training your fat cells lol And I hadn’t heard of Bowen Therapy—had to google it after I read your post—but it sounds interesting. Really glad that it works for you!

I’m planning a week of being super on track. Last week included a long-planned non-Judicious moment—which had exactly the effect you’d expect ☹—but this week I have no such excuses so am hoping for a very good week. I’m currently on an Egg Fast to kick start myself back into virtuousness.

Have a grand day, Elky

• posted by BikeyGuy
    on

Checking in to the new OWAAT so I get all the latest updates – hello again!
    I have no real targets by time, I’m happy to stick to fast800 eating and know that the last stone/14lbs still to go will be eventually be discarded.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

I saw your last post on the old weekly thread, Scottishgal and as my sister-in-law always says to me when I’m upset “pat pat gherkie “. So here’s a pat pat from me 💕 You will do it again and your numbers will drop and I bet it won’t take long xx. I do understand the waste dilemma too as on my own, things go bad way more quickly. I do have the most success with bagged spinach rather than the lettuce mixes and I never put much store in the fridge veggie crisper but I do think it helps with the spinach. The other thought I had was, I recently made a cauliflower tabouli that lasted a long time and I just grilled haloumi for on top. I think I put it on the recipe thread – But if not, it’s a diet doctor recipe.
    Yes as Elky says, I am a beagle. They use them at Auckland Airport because apparently they are missing a gene that tells them when they’re full so makes them great sniffer dogs! For those that don’t know, we don’t really use sniffer dogs for drugs, it’s for fruit, bird eggs and other items that would upset our eco system and you will get a heavy fine if you so much as try and sneak a banana through 🍌

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Scottishgal, if you don’t mind I’ll give you a taste of the little conversation I had to have with myself to avoid an afternoon ‘treat’ today:
    ‘You don’t need a treat, it is perfectly natural to feel a little lower energy in the afternoon, it is called your circadian rhythm. What have you done to deserve a treat? Have you won the Nobel Peace Prize? No? Then why do you need a treat? All you did was get out of bed and show up at work. That’s called doing life. You haven’t done anything amazing that would need to be recognized with anything special. You’re not hungry so eating won’t give you more energy anyway. It’s not long until the end of the day and then you can go home and have some proper food. Just ride the wave.’
    Harsh, I know, but it worked. I didn’t succumb, not even to kale chips, and I was better able to enjoy my dinner when I came home because of it. There is definitely a time to go easy on yourself and especially after any detours, there is no point in ruminating over them, but equally there is a time to be a bit hard on ourselves and it probably works best before you go off the rails.
    Anyway, I’m lucky to have a microwave at work, so I often have leftovers if I don’t have a salad. I was shocked to hear that your greens won’t last, but now that I think about it, I remember that from when I lived in Norway as well. But here, if I get my greens fresh from the farm gate, a head of lettuce will last 2 weeks. I think the travel and storage time when you are up north is longer and causes things to go off that much sooner. What about googling some non-lettuce salads? Darker greens like chard or kale may last longer and can be used in hot meals as well. I saw a recipe once for grilled zuchinni/courgette and halloumi salad that looked really nice as well. Barring that, what about soup? Make a big batch on Sunday and have it for lunches as well on Monday and Tuesday. If you don’t have a microwave, it usually stays pretty hot in a thermos. Just NO CRACKERS with it! You can have your bit of cheese on top or slices beside.
    As for sweets, what about starting a game to start associating them with really horrible things, rather than nice things. For instance, every time you are tempted to pick them up, maybe picturing the long term consequences, rather than focusing on how they will make you feel in the short term. My month with a continuous glucose monitor completely turned me off frozen pizza for instance, as I can now picture how erratic it made my bg and the hypos that I had overnight as a result. My mum has a friend whose husband has T2 and has been in denial as long as he has had it. His wife was trying to change their diet at home to accommodate him and everyone kept wondering why his blood sugars were still so out of control. It turns out he was hiding sweets in the glove box of his car and sneaking them every chance he got when no one was around/looking. Even after it was discovered, he wouldn’t stop doing it. He now no longer has any toes.
    Well enough of the harshness and horribleness. You were doing so well before, and as the others say if you put in a bit of effort, you should be back on track really quickly.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Elky, yes I said that I was thinking of cycling to work (or from work). It is 32.1km to be exact. I can put my bike on the bus one way, so no need to do a round trip to start off with. Also, it is almost completely flat here, so really quite easy cycling. I don’t have the fitness to go up hils yet. Just getting over the motorway overpass was difficult! I think I burned more than 800 calories with yesterday’s 30km ride, and interestingly, I didn’t feel any more hungry than normal. Haven’t lost anymore weight though. Could be retaining a bit more water again but in my muscles this time as a result of the exertion. Also, it appears I have contracted a bit of swimmer’s itch on my legs from where I went paddling in the lake, so that has been sore, inflammed and itchy today, so possibly a couple of sources of inflammation causing difficulties today.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Wow! You go arcticfox! Impressive 😊
    JGwen, I was texting earlier today with my lovely yoga instructor who checks in on me and I was telling him all about Fung/Taubes as he’s more into the science and physiology of the body than a lot of yoga instructors who focus on more of the spiritual and mentioned how I’m doing a lot of research into how I can control my depression through good gut health (amongst other things since meds clearly don’t work for me). He mentioned the vagus nerve that he’s currently doing a lot of research on – more on breathing as it is the opposite of our fight or flight reflex and plays into meditation and yoga – and I had a look and see it’s closely tied to inflammation and satiation. I was curious to know, as our resident science guru, whether you have come across this nerve and just to keep it on topic , whether you’ve read about its impact on weight loss, insulin and stress? That doesn’t mean I want you to go off and research!!! Just curious xx

• posted by EC
    on

Hi folks
    Hoping I can join up with you all
    I did this WOE and forums two years ago and lost the app 10kg I needed to, but it has crept back on so am ready to launch back in!
    I don’t have any blood sugar issues but truly want to shift the kg (and have a serious break-up with the not excessive, but too frequent glass of wine!)
    My partner and I are experimenting with a ketogenic diet just to see if it has any other benefits (as vegetarians this means a lot more dairy fat than we usually have! but also lots of avocadoes, tahini etc etc)
    I’m on day 4 and though it’s hard to stay withing the 800cals with that amount of fat. However I’m just trialling it as an intervention (love a challenge!) and will go back to a good low cal Mediterranean diet after a few weeks.
    I’m another Aussie (down south in Tasmania-so we are still experiencing a cold winter)
    Elky we’ve also had issues with the wildlife post drought….mostly the little pademelons (ie the browsing mammals) that this year ate EVERYTHING!
    Scottishgal greens will stay fresher in the fridge when wrapped in a wet tea-towel (hope I’m not off track as didn’t see your original post
    anyhow, enough from me…..just want to keep accountable!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Welcome EC – we’re glad to have you 😊. I’m a Kiwi and while I know we don’t have the same animals, I’d never heard of a pademelon. Just looked up a picture and I really want one!! I live in LA now and we just have raccoons, squirrels and the occasional coyote but nothing as cute as a pademelon 😆. Even it’s name is cute!

• posted by Katecllrs
    on

Another returner here, after an absence of a two or three years … Found MM after my Lovely Man was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Within a couple of months, said pre-diabetes was reversed and we’d both lost weight. Alas, I’ve allowed bad habits to creep in so I’m here for another round. It’s going to be a challenge for me this week as we’re out for lunch twice, once a birthday meal (the birthday girl’s choice and as she turns 18, I suspect it’ll be pizza or pizza). The second meal is Thai street food, fairly limited menu but I have a couple of strategies in mind to keep that one in check.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Good morning! I was offline for most of yesterday, so need to catch up – but I did see that Caro had had some bad news, which I was sorry to hear. I will set up the new thread for August (yikes, already!) – the title can be Attentive or Awesome (or a combination) – whatever people would find most inspiring! My hip is much much better. Obviously the threat of being caught in a nagging pincer movement between Wendleg and my mother to have it looked at had a therapeutic effect. And probably lazing around for pretty much all of yesterday also helped. Or just a cple of applications of the gel. Anyway, hopefully I am not falling to bits just yet. Kafin, Albert would not like a pademelon companion. It is always nice to see new joiners as well. It is definitely a case of stronger together!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Awesomely Attentive, or Attentively Awesome ?

• posted by Verano
    on

Scottishgal I’ve read a few of your posts but not sure where! Crackers, well my poison is ryvita with linseed and nigella seeds with extra protein! Sound really healthy but I know I shouldn’t eat them. A slice of cucumber works well as a substitute with a little cheese or mashed egg on top.
    I think it was you talking about salad going brown before you finish it. I buy cos or romaine hearts, nice and crispy, separate the leaves, wash, dry really well and place in a freezer bag, suck as much of the air out of the bag as you can and seal. This keeps in the fridge really well for days. If the leaves do go a little brown at the edges just cut that part off.
    Now to the really important bit …. BG! I started this WOE three years ago when my average HbA1c was around 7ish without medication and 6.4ish with metformin. A friend of mine with uncontrolled diabetes had just lost a toe …… it really does happen!
    Three years on, eating BSD friendly but not being totally strict, my HbA1c averages 5ish without medication. He on the other hand almost lost another toe last year and now has some sort of nerve damage resulting in him having to wear an orthopaedic boot, day and night for the last eight months or so. He’s also had to use crutches or a wheelchair! Looks like there is still a long road ahead for him with an uncertain outcome.
    So the stark choice is yours ….. feet and health or chocolate eclairs and other sweets!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy – inspiring words to kick us off for another week. Thank you for continuing at the helm of the weekly thread, encouraging us all to join together as we tread our personal paths to success, whether we are looking to reduce the pounds/kgs or continue to maintain.
    Arcticfox – love that ‘talking to’ you gave yourself and will be holding that in mind for inspiration, when temptation comes knocking – as it surely will.
    EC – welcome back. I love tahini and often have some mixed into my kefir with some coarse ground linseed. You have the tools from last time round, to make the change you are seeking – best wishes to you.
    Katecllrs – welcome to you too. It’s so easy to find oneself sliding into old patterns of eating – something many of us battle with from time to time. You know the impact you can have by following this way of eating, so know you will be able to achieve your goal. Best wishes to you.
    JGwen – so glad you are feeling a bit better and are is less pain. If it’s okay, I’ll come along for the ride on the August thread, as this coming month will (hopefully) see me determinedly whittling away the pounds again.
    Anyway, I’m happy to report I’m 1.5lb down from this time last week. As a slow loser, I’m very happy with this ‘discard’ and hope to be able the have a similar impact this week, which would bring me within one pound of target weigh. However, I’m not going to count any chickens here, as I know the pitfalls to be had there!
    Wishing a successful BSD week to one and all.

• posted by Jdhdg
    on

Hey everyone, hope you’re all well and I hope its ok to join! I’m entering week 2 of my first fast 800 and enjoying the results so far, down 3.4kg and hunger pangs are gone. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on taking multivitamins and, in particular any brands they could reccomend?
    Happy final week of July to you all!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I know the posts were on a different thread, but re cold lunches/waste. I find little gem last well; alternatively maybe cauliflower vinaigrette? Some florets, blanched till tender but still crunchy, with oil/mustard etc dressing. And then you can have the rest cooked/roasted or mashed during the week. Or cucumber, I love it with yog/olive oil dressing, and again, if you had some curried chicken (say tandoori style) in the week, that would be a nice side to it? Or a bit “pickled” with some dill (but without the sugar – if you like a vinegary tang), as a side to cooked salmon. I know it’s an acquired taste, but grated celeriac remoulade-style is also nice; and again you can cook and mash the rest to have hot. I can’t remember if you are a vegetarian, so wouldn’t want cold meat or fish as a protein. If it’s just cold hard boiled eggs which you don’t like, I do remember that Allie has praised Kazz’s thin omelette wraps. Which I did try once and certainly didn’t get wrap effect, but must try again in a pancake pan! There is I am sure the method/suggested fillings somewhere on here. I do know how annoying it is to chuck stuff out!

• posted by BikeyGuy
    on

Scottishgal – if you’re looking for distractions, ponder this . . .
    Some Swiss cheeses have holes. So the more cheese you have, the more holes (which have no calories or carbs) you have. The more holes you have, the less cheese, calories and carbs you have. Conclusion: The more Swiss cheese you have, the less cheese you have and you’re also in a negative calorie/carb position. I’ve been thinking about this for a while and am sure that that’s how it works – but I’m new here 😉
    OR
    In line with fast800 I aim to take in about 3ltrs of water a day, usually fruit teas or matcha. I have a variety of fruit teas in the cupboard, about 7 or 8, and have them in rotation – so while I do like everything in the selection, when the ones I like best come round they become a bit of a treat! A fruit tea certainly stops hunger or boredom pangs.
    I also have a couple of basil plants by the kitchen window, chewing a half dozen leaves works too and is quite refreshing for your mouth.
    An individual tomato salad does the job as well – thinly slice a tomato, spread it out to nearly reach opposite edges of a side plate, (it looks more that way) interleave the slices with some very thinly sliced red onion and/or shaved parmesan , drizzle a little dressing over. 15 cals for a medium tomato, negligible (40cal/100g) for the onion,15g parmesan is about 60 calories, so 100 calories plus a smidgin of dressing. Your tomatoes may vary.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Jdhdg and welcome to the group. Congratulations on a successful first week. I hope you will find us a good-humoured mix of newbies, veterans and in-betweeners.
    I suspect you will get a lot of replies to your query on multivitamins. Here are my quick thoughts:
    a) the most important thing is to keep your eating varied – including oily fish, good seeds, as well as a wide variety of vegetables. I have just ordered pumpkin seeds , for example, having heard they are good for magnesium. There are already some very informative posts on here – just use the search facility.
    b) be careful to ensure you are eating enough protein – around 0.8-1g per kilo of your target weight, depending on your gender, and activity levels.
    I take multivitamins/minerals around 3 times a week. No particular brand. Michael Mosley I think says there is no harm in taking them, nor does he say they are essential. So the jury is out!

Very best wishes for your second week.

• posted by caronl
    on

Congrats SunnyB on your discard! KOKO

• posted by EC
    on

thanks for the welcome Kafin and SunnyB …and katecrllrs—thank goodness I’m not the only regressor!)

Kafin, you’re right; pademelons are very cute (esp when they have joeys in pouch)….but we do curse that they eat almost anything!!-this year for a first, even zucchini, pumpkin and potato leaves!
    re your wildlife- we were in Canada last year and the locals thought we were nuts taking photos of squirrels!! (vermin to them-exotic to us!)

Sixturkeys….my border collie has been known to sit next to a pademelon without blinking….but my son’s dog would take chase in a heartbeat!…Albert will have his own ideas I’m sure

Verano…so sad to hear of your friend. diabetes is a new epidemic for sure

end of day here and slightly over 800 but getting back on the mill
    g’night from the far south to all

• posted by happyitsworking
    on

Hi everyone I would like to join you for this one week. So far for the month of July I weigh the same this morning that I did on the first. I still have two days left to have a discard and thought I would try the weekly thread. I read all of the post every day and I tend to lurk instead of posting myself. Here’s to a good week, would like to discard 3 lbs.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi EC, welcome back – I too remember you from back in the day – it’s good to see you!
    Those are very sobering stories about toe loss !
    SunnyB – Excellent work on the loss! 🙂
    6T, the omelette wraps have to be very thin, so two beaten eggs, with a splash of water, seasoned and lightly cooked in a 12 or 14 inch pan sees them come out very thin!
    Welcome to Katecllrs and JDHDG – good luck with your journey.
    Where’s Violinist these days?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Everyone is welcome here Happyitsworking. I know it’s easy to say, but try not to be disheartened, these things happen and frustrating as they are, there’s nothing to be gained by dwelling on the lack of discard and filling up with negative feelings. This is the start of a new week and a chance to get things moving in the right direction again. Join in the chat, shout if you need support or advice and fingers crossed that tackling things anew, will give that longed for discard. Keep on keeping on.

on

I all, think it is here I declare my losses for last week, or do I do it on last weeks post and move on. Anyway, I have lost 2.5lbs. Not great but I am on this diet permanently and that is a loss by eating my normal no / low carb way, watching the calories more carefully and cutting out the wine at the weekend where I would have lost the 2.5 and but it all back on again. So, just a little bit pleased, even if I continue at 2lb per week that will still be over a stone by the time I go away in September.

Nice to see so many ‘old’ faces returning to us, the more the merrier and lets pull in lots of newbies too. Scottishgal (cannot go on with SG and S-G as it is confusing), I have just thrown away a bag of pre-packed iceberg lettuce already shredded and that is when it goes brown. I bought it when the heatwave came as I couldn’t be bothered and I could just throw it on a plate, but it has only done me for 2 meals and half a bag for the compost. Someone said that icebergs keep well if picked off leaf by leaf and then wrapped up. That is true as it is when the air hits it that turns it brown. Also, pull the leaves away rather than cutting as the metal of the knife causes oxidation – again turning it brown – or use a plastic bladed knife. An alternative is to use courgette in place of lettuce as it keeps forever in the fridge. Cut it into fine slices or I use a spirallizer with different blades and use the slicing blade. Are you struggling with anything in particular or is it just the sweet temptation. You know you can live without them and you should know the diet, you have been there before. If there is something in particular that is hindering you, shout out for help.

• posted by LimitedEditionBonusPack
    on

Hi all. I am just getting started on the Fast 800. I have left the youth of my 20’s and am now 31 and would like to become healthier. After having 2 children it seems my body wants to weigh what it weighed at the end of my pregnancies. Instead of being easy to maintain at a lower weight of 145-150 which I wished was lower but was comfortable at, my appetite seems to want to keep me between 175-185lbs, and I disagree so here we are. My first attempt was this past Saturday, starting weight 178. I ended up at about 900, but I didn’t do the program Sunday. My husband doesn’t really want me to count on Sundays as we have a church fellowship meal, but I am not sure. I think it would be better to still count as I have a tendency to procrastinate and take “one day off”which turns into stopping completely. I had my first 800 day yesterday and am weighing in at 175 lbs this morning. So a happy inflammation loss of 3lbs so far. Good luck to all, I hope we have a good week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am a bit distracted folks as hubby is in A and E awaiting checks and Xrays on his shoulder following a fall earlier today , involving a scary few minutes when he lost consciousness. He is ok but I am waiting for news.

Just wanted to welcome all the newcomers to our weekly thread. I normally ‘chat’ individually to you but I may have to scoot off quickly so this is a general messages, apologies.

Scottishgal, you have NO chance ! I will continue to nag you ( nice nagging 😉 ) , Sunshine Girl has given you fantastic advice and arcticfox is on your case too . You know it’s about your health, getting your blood glucose levels down and the absolute fear of losing toes etc has got to be sufficient motivation. I know you will respond positively .Some good ideas for your lunches too.Are you sorted now ?

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi LimitedEditionBonusPack ! At 31 you are still very much youthful! As you will see, there are lots of posters on here, from very experienced people who are successfully maintaining, to restarters, to newbies and all those in between! And all are welcome – this forum is so helpful! If you have spent some time looking through the forum, you will have seen that carbs rather than cals are the key; have you seen the DietDoctor website, it is a great resource and delicious recipes (which you can use for all the family!). It is obviously important that you continue to join events which are important to you and your family, so maybe on that day, don’t count so much, but avoid the obvious carbs (bread/rice/pasta/potatoes/cake etc). Is that something that would work at the meal on Sundays? Your health and happiness are important, so I hope you can find a way that suits you and your own goals! Do join in any other thread which appeals. And one final point, do take some measurements – the scales sometimes don’t shift but inches can go and body composition change – known as NSV: non-scale victory!

on

Oh no Wendleg, do hope everything is okay and your hubby has not done too much damage.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome EC ! Tasmania , sigh….so beautiful . My hubby’s daughter lives in the Hobart/Sorrell area and we went out there 2 years ago and found it stunning. My sons are in Cairns and Melbourne.

I assume that if you have done Fast 800 before you know the basic principles. JGwen is very active on the forum and she is also vegetarian so I am sure she would be happy to advise if you had any queries about BSD friendly veggie foods.

Are you happy staying on the plan for the full 8 weeks before you go back to the Mediterranean diet ? I think that would be useful as it would give you time to begin to tackle any carb cravings which ultimately cause weight gain , even though you have no diabètes concerns. 10 kgs discard is doable, EC !

Wishing you the very best EC !

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy, I so hope that your hubby is okay. It sounds like it was all very scary , but with luck it will hopefully prove to be minimal damage.
    LEBP .- welcome and well done on making a good start. Would your OH perhaps agree to you counting every day for a few weeks, just so you can get established? It really will be better if you can, so that you body can properly adjust. Shout if you have any questions and all best wishes for achieving your goal.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Quite a lot of new people joining this week which is so great, I keep meeting some really great people here so welcome to all!
    6T, I’m glad your hip is better – you’re right, Albert does not want a pademelon, sigh. It’s hard having an only child, they can be very demanding and needy!
    EC, when I did my OE to London several years ago (like back when you put film in cameras), my friends and I were entranced with squirrels and took rolls and rolls of film of them!
    SunnyB and Sunshine-girl – those are both great losses, I would be very happy with that!
    LimitedEdition – I would think you could still stick to this WOE on Sundays. I wasn’t clear on whether it’s a potluck style meal but if so, you can always make sure what you bring is low-carb and conducive to the Fast 800. Another option might be to just have that as your one meal for the day and avoid any carb dishes without necessarily counting the calories. I think this WOE is forgiving enough that as long as you avoid the carbs on that day and stick to protein, salad/veg and good fats, I don’t think it will impact you that much 😊 And I bet if you start to make it your normal thing and not draw attention to it, no one will even notice!
    Wendy, awaiting good news about Tony xxx

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Oh no Wendy, hope your husband is alright and gets allowed to go home with no damage done.
    Thank you all for your posts, advice, support, encouragement and of course the nagging lol. It works!
    Loved your post articfox and agree with your talking to…….I’ll make that my mantra.
    Verano, the experience of your friend is very thought provoking. I was in denial for years too, after the initial fear factor went, until my meds kept increasing and I had awful side effects. I obviously knew about amputation risks but you always think it’ll only happen to other people and not me. I kept telling myself that I’d tackle the bg levels and be stricter with myself at the first sign of any problems…..but not before! I know better now, thankfully,
    Thanks for all the great lunch ideas. I particularly like the idea of making my own crackers or using cucumber as a replacement cracker. I do love cucumber. And the tomato idea too…….not sure about the swiss cheese theory lol.
    Welcome also to the new and returning posters. This really is a brilliant forum. Without it I know I would just give up.
    And thanks to you all my bg level was 7.8 this morning, which is closer to normal. I got the fright I needed and think I’m back on track again. There really was no excuse for me falling off the wagon and as articfox said I hadn’t done anything to deserve a treat.
    So now I’ll just keep on keeping on and post more regularly on here………it makes me more accountable (and also makes me feel guilty)

• posted by LimitedEditionBonusPack
    on

Hi SixTurkeys, SunnyB, and Kafin13, thank you for the advice, all good ideas. It is a potluck, and nobody polices what anybody eats or doesn’t as there are some with celiac disease or who are vegan or just don’t like certain things. We just stick a label on our dishes to indicate if it meets either of those main criteria, lol. I don’t think anybody will notice or care what I’m eating or not eating. I had thought of bringing soup and a salad and just having that. I could also just avoid obvious carbs, but I don’t yet know what the general counts or amounts I should be eating. I don’t think I would do well making it my only meal. I am bad about late evening eating and being satisfied from dinner may be important to avoid that, at least for now while I’m starting.. but I could definitely skip breakfast. My husband will be okay with whatever I decide to do most likely, but just was telling me what he thought I should do, lol. He has been very supportive of this idea and is looking to lose some weight himself also, though he will probably not be joining me on the 800 he will eat what I am making without complaint and seems enthusiastic about the whole thing so far.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey LEBP – it sounds like your husband is prepared to be supportive, which is great news. You could may be make veggie muffins or crustless quiche as your pot luck dish – low carb, plenty of protein and fats, so will keep you feeling full longer. And you are right, unless you draw attention to what you are eating, others are unlikely to comment or even notice. If you avoid dishes obviously high in carbs you should do fine. Don’t panic about being over the 800 calories occasionally, if you keep the carbs low being above the 800 every now won’t have much impact. We’re all in this for the long haul and whether you believe it or not, there will most likely be days when you are under the 800 too, so overall things will balance out.

• posted by Elky
    on

Hello all, just checking in to say hello, my goodness there’s been a lot of activity here, I can’t keep up!

Wendy, I’m so sorry about your hubby, really hope all is well.

EC, welcome, lovely to have another Aussie in the ranks. Sorry to hear about your pademelons making themselves free with your garden. I know the rest of the world gets smitten with our marsupials and their cute little faces, but boy can those cute little faces get through a lot of garden in one night!! I have that problem with possums, the only way to keep them out of things they fancy is to cover everything with wire so the garden looks like the western front circa 1916 – it’s just not worth it lol

6T I’m so pleased your hip is better – just in time for Attentively awesome August 😊

Verano, it was scary to read about your friend losing toes. I’m lucky not to have BG issues, but I have a dear friend who does, is on 2 kinds of medication, and *will not* be careful with his diet. Your story spurs me on to gently nag him a little more, I think…

BikeyGuy, gold star for finding a way to make the “broken biscuits have no calories because they fall out the break” theory apply to this WOE with cheese!! That should definitely get a unicorn science award from Kafin 😊

Hello to everyone else, sorry not to name names but there’s just so much happening here just now!

Hope everyone has a grand day, Elky

• posted by EC
    on

Hi all
    KazzUK I also remember you from, I think CanadaLiz’s forum (and I was mid-renos with no kitchen floor mid-winter!)
    Wendleg-get in touch if you ever come back to Hobart-we are just under out beautiful mountain kunanyi/Mt Wellington but was in Sorrell on the weekend getting straw for the garden!-and I hope your husband is on the mend

And yes, I have every intention on staying on the Fast800 for the full 8 weeks-will take a break for 3 weeks away late Sept/early Oct (Kafin13…back too Eastern Canada for more squirrel pics 😉 ) and then resume for another go (wanting to ditch close to the 10kg first round…but there’s another 10 I’d happily see gone!)

I’m fine with vegetarian meals as have been veg all my adult life and I love cooking and experimenting with meals and substitutions…..it’s just the higher fat with the trying ketogenic diet that’s a change of mindset….but so far so good …

and thanks for the welcome Elky…nice to have someone in the same Antipodean time zone! ….and yes we have possums too, but they are not so consistently damaging as the pademelons…..but the fence is imminent…esp after a human jumped into the front garden this year and stripped our apple tree!!

A crisp but glorious 2degrees here on the morning dog-walk!

have a great day everyone whenever it’s daytime for you!

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy hope you hubby is ok.
    I have just made my declaration on the August thread and I’m following in Wendy’s footsteps……
    No chocolate
    No nuts.
    No crispbreads
    Reduce cheese.
    Just one day at a time …. day 1 here we come!
    Have a good day!

• posted by BikeyGuy
    on

Elky, I’d never heard of the “broken biscuits have no calories because they fall out the break” theory – but that makes perfect sense to me.
    Other examples of this principle are that there are obviously no calories in gin or vodka, which are clear. If there were, you’d be able to see them wouldn’t you? 🙂

Update – having googled, there are absolutely no carbs in the spirits I checked!

• posted by pcoops
    on

Hello everyone! I am a day late but I would love to join everyone for the ride this week. I’ve been lurking on this forum on and off since March, which is the first time I read MM’s Fast800 book and tried this new WOE, but I’ve finally decided to sign up and join this very encouraging community. I’ll update my profile later, but I basically started the Fast800 on March 23rd and did really well on it for a month – I do not have real BG problems, just a PCOs (poly cystic ovary syndrome) that makes it difficult to lose weight and maintain a healthy one. I’m only 27 (living in northern Germany, looking to discard less than 10kg but especially keep them off forever and ever), and have tried many diets since I first got the diagnosis but nothing had worked, not even in the medium term, – until the Fast800. But then I went traveling a lot with my family, and when the pounds begun creeping back up (not all of them, but 70%) my willpower eroded. I’m determined to stick to this WOL this time round, but I do feel like I might need the encouragement this weekly threat (and other forums – look forward to the attentively awesome August!) provide.

I’ve read many of the posts by the more experienced members – finding out about the importance of carbs, for example, really helped. So I feel like I have a good grasp of how this works, I just hope that reading all your posts and actually joining in this time around will help me stay away from the oat cookies at coffee break. Just started a new job and thus had no idea how much I would struggle with that.

Have a great day everyone and thank you for being so welcoming with us newbies!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi pcoops – everyone is welcome join in on any thread and we are always really pleased to have newcomers on the weekly and monthly threads. And it doesn’t matter if you are a little late joining in. I know there are others on the forum with PCOS, so I’m sure someone will be able to offer their insights on how the BSD might help.
    It sounds like you have a handle on the importance of staying low carb, but we are all here to offer support, encouragement and advice as needed, so just shout if there are any questions or concerns and someone will offer help.
    Looking forward to following your BSD journey.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

If anyone is interested, Tesco are now stocking Yeovalley Kefir, which is a ‘live’ product. Bought some this morning out of interest and have to say it’s the best commercially produced kefir I’ve had so far. It’s creamy and thicker than a lot of the commercial one. Priced at £1.50 for a 350g pot.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thank you everyone for welcoming new members to the thread while I am a bit preoccupied with my lovely hubby and spending a lot of time in the hospital. I am a very positive person but it is a bit disconcerting to hear people tell me how lucky he was..scary.
    He is indeed in pain with broken ribs..collarbone..sore shoulder blade but nothing that can’t be mended. The main concern is ensuring the lungs are not affected so he has physio..oxygen therapy. I.must say the team here are fantastic. The doctors have taken time to explain everything to me and what they are doing. It will mean several days in this resuss unit to manage the pain but he is not going to be bouncing around like Tigger anytime yet..unlike me who must be in tip top condition to look after him ( for a change). I fear for the runner beans which must be watered regularly but I have promised to tend the veg with as much care as I give my lovely man. He had this accident helping friends move house and he fell through a platform …rotten wood. Fortunately a dustbin broke his fall even though he blacked out for several minutes. I will thank that lovely dustbin..I thank you all for your lovely messages too and I promise to be back on nagging duty very soon
    Much love to everyone
    Wendy xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.