ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning August 4th 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

We hope you all feel motivated to carry on for another week despite occasional setbacks and crises.

Sending lots of love and a massive hug from all of us to Tulip. Hoping your daughter is on the way to recovery and you can find some peace from so much stress and anguish.

Whether you are planning a break away this August or just staying put, remember to keep your health and well being in the forefront.

Michael Mosley is beginning a new series of programmes ‘ Lose a stone in 21 days ‘ on Channel 4 at 9pm in the UK from Wednesday 5th August. It will be interesting to see how MM presents his programme . ? We all know it’s more than a quick fix but if the programme inspires people to look long term….than that’s where we can offer a bit more support .

Feel free to join us , continue with us …moan or rejoice with us … !
    Wendy and Sunny

• posted by wendleg
    on

As is traditional…..

SunnyB
    Merrymelba
    Niamh and Dean ( Neegan)
    EC
    Caronl
    Clarinet cathy
    Bryla
    Windyjulz
    Georgiejeorge
    oLive 1
    Puddy
    Dreamscometrue
    Gattina
    melH
    rosyapple
    LovesGroodles

timetochange
    Patricia
    Articfox
    Double Dutch
    PTR
    Britta
    Film24
    Rebeccakershaw
    JGwen (of course !!)

PlumpGoose
    Russianroulade
    DebbieDarko
    weebleswobble
    nicoles212
    Steviep
    Zuzuvela
    Frog
    GreenGal
    EachPeach
    SusieMac1957
    Limes254
    Butterlover
    PhoenixBurns
    Quetzal
    Waitaminute
    Riccoh
    Tulip1 (Clare)
    ADD6605(Dawn)
    Gyllb
    EllieAllegra

Roheryn
    AuroraB
    Sweetgirl
    BlueSkyz
    Karenwm
    SusieMac1957
    Jeremy Fisher
    ClemFlo
    LR800
    Eowyn
    Kevlondon and Mrs Kev
    Scubado
    Lulu16
    Shammy
    sunshine-girl !!!
    Beattie66
    2eviltwins
    Violinist ( Catherine)
    Sarah 1968
    Angelsand
    Lecurie
    Choccybuttons
    Sonz
    AnnieW
    Sixturkeys
    Urchin
    Delabodge( Clive)
    Calliope Swan
    O2BSkinny

• posted by wendleg
    on

Still no news of Rosyapple ………………….?

Rosy where are you, how are you ? Hope you feel able to check in soon xx

Same message to anyone who has been distant or absent for whatever reason. Look after yourselves xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thank you for leading us into another week, Wendy. Hope that our regular contributors will join in for another week and that we will also be welcoming some newcomers too.

If this last week has not been a good one for you, dust off and start afresh. This way of eating is surprisingly forgiving, so if things have got away with you over the past few days, don’t worry.

To those who start this week having recorded any kind of loss for last week, well done … now you have the chance to make this one count too.

Personally, I’m aware that I’m maintaining at the higher end of my preferred weight bracket, so my aim this week a to reign myself in a bit and hopefully see a small loss. I have 5wks to a break away, so want to cinch things in a little, to get a bit of wriggle room before then.

To close, I’m wishing you all a good week, both on and off the scales. Stay well, stay positive, stay focused.

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    Thanks for starting a new week Wendleg.
    I’m back, obviously. Back to small steps, and hopefully some discarded weight.
    I’m with you Wendleg, hoping everything is alright with Rosy.
    Haven’t bothered weighing myself for the last couple of days, it messes with my head too much. As soon as I see I’ve lost a bit, something in my head says it’s ok to eat food that I know I shouldn’t . I’ve been keeping busy and drinking lots of fizzy water. Have only had a few walnuts today, didn’t feel hungry enough to eat anything else, dinner is salad and tuna patties, I found a keto recipe that uses almond flour instead of potato 😊
    Have a great day/ night 😊🖐️

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi everyone. I’m in for the week. I’m getting a bit bored with my diet at the moment and need to put some more effort into food prep, so I’ll be googling the almond flour tuna patties, Waitaminute! They sound right up my street

I’m going to aim for a clothes clear-out this week. Maybe I’ll keep a pair of what are now really big pants as a reminder of how far I’ve come. It has even crossed my mind that I should frame them for display on the bedroom wall 😆.

I was really interested in the posts about metabolic flexibility. I’ll do some reading! Though at the moment I feel quite content to stick with less flexibility if it keeps working for me.

Warmest wishes to everyone for a good week x

• posted by ghudugi
    on

Hi
    I am new here. Just hit 50 during lockdown and have gained more weight though I was planning to lose it! 🙁
    I have followed the programme for few weeks 4 years ago and did lose weight. I have read the original fast800 and also have the recipe book.

But desperately want to do this properly as suffering from heartburn from excess weight gain.

Is this where you start? Starting today.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Everyone and thanks to Wendleg for setting up this new week. I am still playing catch up having nearly lost that pesky 2 lb gain. In total for July I lost 4 lbs and as someone who is constantly struggling (insulin problems) I am happy with that. August is a new month and if I can do another 4 lbs then I will be more than happy.
    I watched some of the recommended videos and they are all interesting but they instantly lead you to other similar subjects and I could have watched Dr Ben Berry all day – not as dry as Bikman and very funny. He talked about the man in the white coat with the magic necklace (stethoscope) and how we are expected to believe everything they say as they are never wrong. Then think about cocaine powder for teething babies, thalidamide for pregnant women or lobotomies to cure wayward children. I am not anti medicine but Dr Berry says it should be a partnership as it is our health we are putting them in charge of. We should always be asking questions.Worth a watch. It was suggested by someone I look at alternative treatments other than insulin to help combat the weight gain insulin gives and one suggestion was GPL1. When I looked it up (again) I found it was a drug I had already talked to my doctor about (BYETTA) and he had serious doubts about its safety – just that it was too new to know about but now they know it can cause Kidney and Pancreas problems. And it still has to be injected. Might as well fight this battle as I have been and reduce the insulin injections. Dropped down to 25 units last night – so down 7 units. Enough of that.
    Have a successful week everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi ghudugi and welcome,😊
    Yes you are in the right place, everyone is non judgmental and very encouraging here.
    I too lost weight a few years go doing this way of eating and then put it back on because I didn’t keep it up. Oh well all I can say is we are here now and doing it.
    Sunshine Girl I’ll have to give Dr Ben Berry’s videos a watch..it’s been a while since I’ve sat down long enough to watch anything.
    Bryla, the tuna patties were just ok..I think maybe if you don’t roll them in the almond flour as well as adding it to the patties it might be less drier..I found them to be quite dry, then again I did add more flour than the recipe said because they felt too wet 😂
    Have a great day/ night wherever you may be 😊🖐️

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.I weigh in at a static 89.3 today.no real progress but no worse .I have had a few days of success with lowering my BGL but my usual lack of consistency is still a challenge.this week I’m planning to try a bit more fasting.
    Best wishes to those struggling with covid restrictions.I count my blessings that here in Perth West Australia .We don’t have community spread and very few active cases.Im not sure that I could stay positive in extended lockdown .I hope you all stay strong .KOKO

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi Everyone.Went off track a bit over last couple of days.Had meal in friends’ garden on Saturday night,first time have eaten there since March (we’ve just been meeting up for chats)it was delicious but was pasta and I think after having that it triggered cravings.I haven’t lost any more weight since I weighed myself last Friday not surprisingly but back on course today.I know I need to stick to this woe 100% if I want it to really work.In the 6 weeks I stuck to it last year I lost 18lbs and I felt so much healthier,even tho I still had another stone to lose,I had no cravings at all for carbs/sugar.I put all but 3lbs back on but I’m determined to crack on with it this time,sticking to 800 cals until I reach goal weight,25lbs to go,then follow Mediterranean diet to maintain.The coming weekend may be difficult emotionally as we are going to start some sorting and tidying of garage and gardens for my Mum.My 85 year old dad who has dementia and has gone into a care home has been a keen gardener since he was 7.Although they just have 2 small gardens they are full of shrubs/plants/flowers which we have been trying to look after but it’s a big job so 4 of us are going round on Saturday.His shed and garage also need sorting as they have lots of things in which won’t be needed.Will make up salad box to take I think so that I’m not tempted by any cake my Mum offers!Hope everyone has a good day.Dawn

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

I’m in for the week. Conscious of not having had much to contribute the past week or so….. I’m still working away, trying to get the last few pounds nailed…. keeping on despite some hungry days and some good days, finding mental consistency difficult but have had a few wins along the way. I’m bored of hearing myself say “I’ve struggled but im back on it and going to be great the next few days….” so I wont say it again here, LOL, but I am taking each day as it comes and sticking to the principles and keeping on. I am still seeing NSV – my size 12 jeans are almost roomy……and at the beginning of this i did openly say – “I would just love to be an ordinary comfortable size 12″….and well, here I am pretty much there…. though perhaps not on my top half, but i’ll take it.

Thank you all for being here, I do check in daily, just busy and feeling a little flat with not much to say. No real problems, just a bit meh!

Keep at it people

xx

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

Week 8 update
    Back to it after 3 weeks off. 1150 calories per day, except one day which I had off. It was a pretty awful few days until I had my day off: ‘carb flu’ – headache, lethargy, brain fog! On the positive side I lost 6lbs, losing, what I assume was the water weight I’d but back on during my weeks off and losing another 1lb on top. Pleased to be back to it and losing weight again. In total I have lost 1 stone although I know that 5-6lbs of that is water, not fat, so I’ve only really lost about 8-9lbs, but hey, for the moment I’ll revel in the fact that I am one stone lighter today than 8 weeks ago!

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
    Progress log:
    Week 1: Lost 8lb. 800 cals. TRE. Great results, but a tough week with ‘carb flu’ and horrendous running that turned into walks.
    Week 2: Lost 2lb. 1150cals, low carb, and no longer TRE to make life easier. Running a little better but still some walking needed.
    Week 3 Lost 2.5lb. No need to walk in runs this week – more back to normal.
    Week 4: No weight loss (or gain), but 1/2 inch off my waste. Daily calories were over my 1150 target most days. Carbs were still low. I’ve decided to take a break for 2 weeks to get my determination back. Running much better since being back on carbs.
    Week 5: Gain 2lbs (net loss 10lbs). Back to normal eating this week (but trying not to overdo it!!) as part of a 2-week break.
    Week 6: Gain 3lbs (net loss 8lbs). Eating normally.
    Week 7: No change (net loss 8lbs). Eating normally. The break turned into 3 weeks!

• posted by Bryla
    on

Welcome ghudugi! Great that you already have some experience with this WOE so you know it works. Go for it!

Thanks for the pattie feedback, Waitaminute. Google gave me lots of recipe options, so I will bear in mind your experience when I’m deciding which one to plump for – and I’ll go easy on the almond flour!

WindyJulz- roomy size 12 jeans sound like great news! Hope that gives you the boost you deserve and need.

Well done, Jeremy Fisher – especially for pushing through the carb flu. Sorry to hear it hit you so hard. I don’t think you should discount the water weight discard since it’s all part of the process and essential to progress. A stone is a stone however you come by it! Good luck with the next stage – great to hear about your renewed determination.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Wendy and Sunny, thank you so much for the love, I had just popped on to say help! I seem to have lost my WOE mojo as well as almost losing my sanity and what started as a good day with a healthy breakfast, has descended into 1 1/2 greggs sausage rolls and 3 pieces of cookie dough-! I haven’t ‘eaten my feelings’ for so long, what is happening to me? I know I am stressed but I am also wondering if this happened to anyone else at the 7 or 8 week mark- WOE fatigue?? I’ve lost half the weight I need to, but I need to continue….all tips very welcome xxx

on

Tulip – I lost my mojo after 4 weeks so had a break for a while (the planned 2 weeks turned into 3!). I was reasonably sensible during the break and am now back to it – 1 week back on. I lost all the weight I’d put back on and one more pound in my first week back. Try that perhaps. It slows your progress of course, and you have to be determined to get back to it after a set period of break, but it worked for me.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sending you all lots of positive thoughts ..
    Keep going Butterlover.You will find a rythm that suits you.You are indeed fortunate not to be enduring extended lockdown. Thinking of you Merry ! Hope you are coping there in Melbourne.My son and his partner are managing and they are at least cooking real food !
    EC , how are you ? We heard it was snowing in Tasmania ! That feels weird when we are facing temperatures in the mid thirties here . Sunshine girl I would love a daily dip in a pool in my garden .Have to make do with the local pool, hoping it stays open . Well done on your continued determination with the insulin challenges.

ADD6605…I prefer to say Dawn… ! I hope you manage the gardening and shed sorting. I am sure your Mum will be really grateful to know your Dad’s beloved gardens are being tended.

That’s ok if you don’t have much to report Julz .The main thing is not to lose touch.

Stay with us Waitaminute ! Indeed, weigh less frequently if it affects your mood.

Bryla, I too have been decluttering my wardrobe(s) ! I have sold quite a few things and only allow myself something new when I have built up a few euros in my kitty. Not new new..I only buy preloved these days too as I have to re assess my budget in retirement.

Jeremy Fisher I think you have to find a pattern that suits you longterm ( think I have said this before) You are very focused and determined. I have never had to consider how this WOE affects exercise performance…my yoga, Qigong and aqua gym are pretty low key. I have never felt the need for a complete ‘break’ as I didn’t have the adverse effects you mentioned but it’s great that it works to renew your enthusiasm.

Tulip , don’t give up ! Just get back to doing what you were doing in the beginning which was successful ! Eat real food….this is a stressful time but too much processed stuff will just make you feel worse. You know I bang on about mind set and a changing attitude towards sugar and junk/fake foods . That will happen…just keep going .

Welcome ghudugi ! You are definitely in the right place.You probably have all the information but just shout out if you need any help with anything !

Wherever you are, whatever is happening right now, we would love to hear from you !

Waiting to see what Michael Mosley has to say in his TV programme tonight !

• posted by EC
    on

Hi all
    Still here and still trying to get “properly” back into WOE after our trip away …..Mostly BSD friendly, but often too many nuts or too large a quantity of whatever we’re having. Not overly stressed as no weight increase-I’m telling myself that I’m establishing a new “set-weight” before I start going down again! (kidding myself??)-
    The cold weather doesn’t help with appetite restraint….and yes, Wendy we did get snow -not on the ground here, but a beautiful dusting allover the mountain which is just glorious in today’s winter sun!!-it did settle in other parts of the state and the (cross country) ski season will be open
    Butterlover, we too are doing well with no COVID in the state atm, but I have three boys, their wives/partners and three grandchildren in VIC so missing them all dreadfully (it’s normally a one hour flight to visit!)…and one son who was to move to WA with his girlfriend but they are still here (which I’m happy about) until borders open
    Jeremy, as a vegetarian/pescatarian I never stress too much about “good” carbs such as vegetables or legumes and as long as I keep cals low will still lose weight (maybe slower than some but I’m OK with that-esp as we’re not out much these days! 😉 ) that said, I’m in an annoying “in between” phase with clothes….some are definitely too big but some of my (old) smaller sizes still a little snug so I will like many need to reboot my enthusiasm!!
    Dawn-wishing you all the best with your dad’s garden-these times are always an emotional one
    Wishing you all a great end-of-week and weekend!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I just got back from a couple of days away. I had to take some things that the removal people won’t touch – plants, liquids, paint, etc. up to my new town where luckily I can store them at my parent’s place until I’m moved. On the way I was able to stop in and see my horse for the first time in 8 months! I saw him at Christmas briefly, but then after that the weather was too bad to travel and then by March the livery was in lockdown and I couldn’t visit. He is looking really good and is clearly enjoying himself but he didn’t seem to recognize me at first. I think that changed once I started handling him though and reminding him that I did teach him some ground manners (he has conveniently forgotten those as well!). Can’t wait to have him at home with me in my new place, but that will likely not be until November at least. Saw my parents and one of my sisters for the first time since Christmas too, but at least I can talk to them on the phone every week.
    I had 2 very low carb days whilst travelling back and forth (pretty much existed on boiled eggs), but struggled getting enough calories to be satiated. All the same, it has resulted in me having to hitch my shorts up quite a bit. Tried my next size down ones on when I got home, and they are a smidge looser, but still a ways to go before they are completely comfortable. Anyone want to give me some odds for fitting into them before summer is over?
    I got plenty of vitamin D helping my dad in the garden. That definitely confirmed for me how much stronger I am than last year as it was much easier to do some things. Also, I have realized how much more active I will be at my new place compared to my flat. There will be so much work to do, but I hope it will be fun or at least satisfying getting the place in shape. I hope it will allow me to continue to get stronger and build some more muscle. Seeing my family again also showed me that, other than my dad who is very active with his garden and dog walking, I am the thinnest person in the family now, in spite of still wavering on the line between overweight and obese bmi. I am more and more suspecting that the females in my family actually have lipedema. My younger sister in particular is really fitting the pattern. She has always been a picky eater and eats very few calories, yet the weight has piled on her in the last few years. She eats very high carb though with lots of small meals and snacks throughout the day, and I was reading that going ketogenic is really the only thing that stops the weight gain for people with lipedema. I think my participating in high level endurance sport during my 20’s and 30’s likely spared me somewhat, and now having eaten lower carb for the last couple of years, and also I just don’t think I was as bad to begin with. Anyway, this could very well explain why it is so difficult for us to lose weight around our hips and thighs. Just some ramblings of my mind here. Sorry for the long post!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Wendleg- thank you- I agree, I think I need to go right back to the beginning, I watched Michael Mosley last night too partly from a point of view of inspiring me to restart properly- I’ve never watched him before, so it was really interesting, and what a great team he makes with his wife too. It also made me think, I bet more than a few of my stats are also pretty grim- the ones I know about, increased weight and waist circumference, and of course the all important blood sugar- I don’t know how that is now but I sure want it to be better than last time when I next get it checked!

Jeremy- thank you too, I agree that sometimes a break is needed.

Love to all xxx

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thank you for your kind words wendleg and EC.Lovely weather here today so I’m hoping it lasts for sorting the gardens etc on Saturday.I watched the MM prog last night and enjoyed it but one thing I noticed was that the shopping bag they sent one person had a 0% Greek yoghurt in it.I’ve been using full fat Greek yoghurt and am now wondering if I shouldn’t be? Dawn

on

Dawn – just looked online and 0% yogurt and full fat yogurt tend to have the same number of carbs so either is fine. The full fat is likely to have more calories so you could eat a little more of the low fat, but, personally I find fats quite satiating so a little less of the full fat would be my preference.

I have to admit that on this diet I’ve bought yogurt and skyr and haven’t tended to eat it. I tend to have a small spoon of clotted cream – just 100 cals worth. Very high fat, but very low carb so ideal from that point of view. It does tend to finish off my meals with a lovely flavour and I don’t crave more.

I also watched the programme yesterday. Wasn’t it amazing how many people really had no idea how overweight they were. As we all get bigger it starts to become the norm and we accept that as okay, even though it’s so dangerous to our health. I’ve done that too. I’m, on average, a stone and a half heavier than I was 20 years ago, and that’s just become my ‘norm’. At the moment I’m delighted with my current weight loss, but the reality is that I’m still in the ‘overweight’ category and need to set my own belief of my norm to a new lower level.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks Jeremy,I will stick to the full fat as think it definitely keeps me fuller for longer somehow.I love the thought of having clotted cream but have been avoiding it as thought it would have sugar in it,don’t know why I thought that as I have double cream with various things no problem!Yes the volunteers in the programme were pretty shocked at their results weren’t they,I think some of them were like me and carried the majority of their weight around their middles so it’s sometimes easy to think you aren’t too unhealthy when the rest of your body looks ok.It was only on embarking on the fast800 for the first time last year and reading lots about it that I realised just how dangerous fat around the middle is.You seem to be doing really well and have managed to get back to this woe after your break.I wish I could have done that last year when I stuck to the plan for 6 weeks religiously and lost 18lbs,I felt so much healthier but then,due to various stresses,came off the plan and within a few weeks all of my sugar cravings came back with a vengeance!I think it was probably because I ate lots of carbs/chocolate,if I had just started adding the odd carb back into my diet occasionally I probably would have been able to carry on.I find dark chocolate (70% min cocoa) does definitely help me feel as if I’m not missing out and 2 squares is enough whereas milk chocolate is so addictive I could eat a large bar no problem.Dawn

• posted by PSL68
    on

Did this start this week? or is it starting next week. If so, is it ok to join in! Thanks..:)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi PSL – the thread started this week, but we welcome anyone who wants to join us, anytime they are ready.

A new weekly thread is kicked off every Monday evening, but there’s no need to wait, just jump in niw and tell us about yourself and your targets.

We’ll happily give all the support, encouragement and advice we can and enjoy celebrating your scales and non-scales achievements along the way.

• posted by PSL68
    on

Thanks very much. I’m just basically looking to lose quite a bit of weight…I’ve read Michaels book and tried a few times to work the diet but struggled with carb flu and motivation. I saw the TV programme last night, and like a lot of people, put on more weight during lock down so I really need to give it another go.
    I’m very encouraged already by the messages…I’ve not posted before so glad of your quick reply. I’m logging my food on myfitnesspal and have adjusted the carbs/protein/fats/sugar to the right levels.
    Thanks again!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Dawn,

I have the 5% fat version of that same greek yoghurt with brekkie every morning- it’s so satisfying and lovely and lower cals already than all the other full fat greek yogs- altho if you are very tight on cals I guess the 0% will have a few less, for the taste and satiety I wouldn’t sacrifice it.

Yes, Jeremy I agree, it shocked me that people had little to no notion of overweight/ obese- I was very aware of mine altho to be fair my waist size was larger than I imagined when I first started this WOE!

xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone still on track. Wendleg, I am sooooooo privileged to have a pool in my garden. I never forget how fortunate I am and often stand at my back patio door and shout ‘I love it here’. Don’t have to worry about neighbours hearing as they are too far away (but we do have neighbours).
    I personally prefer to stick with the full fat versions of anything as I am sure a lifetime of eating low fat, low calorie had done me no favours. I checked out the yogs in the supermarket this morning for the full story on carbs. The full and low are around the same number of carbs but the low fat are sugars. I guess it is to give plain yoghurt a better taste but I prefer to have more protein calories than sugar calories. I checked this out with some butter that was, unusual for France, lower fat??? I checked the label and although it was slightly lower in fat the calories were only a bit lower and the carbs replacing the fat was rice powder. Again, feeding us white carbs to make us think it is healthier but it just feeds the cravings. I have never had carb flu but it is hidden tricks like this that can make it so hard to come off the stuff.
    I watched the MM programme last night. I hope it helps some people realise you can eat 800 cals and be full and eating highly nutritious food. Some people still think I am a nutcase. Okay, I am, but not when it comes to my diet – and by diet I mean my everyday way of eating.
    Getting very hot here again, was nice and cool at 25 earlier in the week but we are heading for another few days of 39+. I will be swimming in my tee shirt and grandsons baseball cap. Enjoy it while you can if you are in the UK. I am sending it to you specially. Stay safe, use sunscreen, wear and hat and wear a mask.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi Tulip and S-g,I think I will definitely stick to the higher fat Greek yoghurt too.my favourite is the 10% Aldi one.If i have it for breakfast with berries and a few nuts I find it fills me up so much I can skip lunch.If I don’t have fresh berries I have frozen ones warmed in microwave,a tip from someone on the forum last year I think and the warm berries with the cool yoghurt is a lovely combination.Dawn

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi everyone, I’m still going. I’ve been really hectic with work over the last couple of weeks. I’ve still kept low carb but my cals have been a bit too high. Since I started around 4 weeks ago I am now 16lbs down….a drop in the ocean for my size, but it is going in the right direction! I am very surprised that I don’t really miss the grains etc now – I’ve been using various substitutions eg stirfried cauli rice, and it just seems normal now. My other half has been doing well too – we are due to go away for a week in September (still in the UK), so will have to see how that goes. I’ve never had a low carb holiday lol, but we will be self-catering so that should help. Anyway, big hello to everyone, including those who are new. This process really can change your body if you work with it 🙂 xx

• posted by AmzTheBeautiful
    on

Hello. I am new and old here. I’ve met some of you before a year or so ago when I was actively seeking a healthier lifestyle. That’s been pretty much forgotten in the stress and depression I fight each day. Quarantine has only worsen things on my end, making me feel there’s no escape from my problems… But I’m tired of laying around and getting fatter so I thought I would give this another go. Hopefully I can keep a tight grip on my motivation this time around.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi guys,
    I thought it was very interesting that in yesterdays TV program Dr MM was talking about insulin, and it being a switch to allow your body to burn body fat and ketones / ketosis. So often on this forum we have discussed on carb levels as they are not set in the book.
    I feel that Dr MM tends to have one eye on the research which is being accepted by the NHS, so I found it really interesting to see such an explanation about insulin and ketosis in the program.

I noticed as well the 0% fat yogurt and wondered if anyone else would spot that in the bag.

But I groaned when there was the emphasis on using pee sticks to test that the volunteers were in ketosis. – I thought here we go again. – Give it a couple of weeks and the appeals for help because the pee sticks are no longer showing I am ketosis will start. – So lets get this over with folks. ————– Repeat after me. Pee sticks show excess ketones that your body is passing out in your urine. After a short period your body gets clever, and does not create surplus ketones, so your body will not be releasing them in your urine. So pee sticks are only for short term reassurance.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Amz welcome back! Many people have been struggling through lockdown and we have quite a few returnees, so I’m sure you’ll recognise quite a few names.
    If we can be of any help, please just shout out and even if you just need a place to vent, feel assured this is still a safe place to do do.
    We’ll look forward to following your progress this time around, one day at a time. Big hugs to you.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Ellie, 16lb is a good chunk to be rid of, well done. It sounds like you have a good handle on the whole low carb thing, so I’m sure you’ll do fine while you’re away. Just keep doing what you’re doing, it’s working 😃

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Thanks SunnyB 🙂 I’ve learned that I have to be patient and give my body enough time to do its thing lol 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

AMZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back !!! So pleased to see you !!! I know it is tough for you but remember you are never alone ..We are always here when you need support.Don’t hesitate to call out and please stay with us xx

MM’s programme…I was pleased that it was accessible and informative and obviously intended to motivate and stimulate interest in Fast 800. We didn’t really learn anything new ( I spotted the 0% yoghurt too !) but I think that linking COVID risk and obesity is bound to provoke interest and hopefully get more people on board.My sister in law is following the program after struggling with ‘lockdown belly’ but she , like many others ( me too in the beginning) seems to think she will lose a stone and all will be well.I suggested looking more long term 😉 But those 21 days will certainly kick start weight loss if the program is followed consistently.
    Yes JGwen I groaned at the pee sticks too .I can just imagine people rushing out to buy them !!
    So we are a bit further down the line than the participants in the programme and rather more informed but as MM stressed, it’s about our health, increased immunity and minimizing risks so never give up folks !!!!
    Big hugs to everybody xx

on

I have to admit going to my stash of pee sticks for the first time since I started yesterday. And yes I was in mild ketosis which was reassuring. But I’m only just over a week into it after a break so that’s probably why.

I agree that the key here is considering what you’ll do when you finish to keep weight down. I don’t want to be low carb long term, but I also know I am much less hungry when I’m off them (despite eating less) so I do need to do something. My current plan is to eat normally at mealtimes and have nothing in between. I successfully did that between November and February this year without putting on weight (unfortunately I didn’t lose any either!) so I’m hoping that will work for me long term.

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Hi all,

I have been reading the forums for a few weeks now, just as I did in 2018. I lost two stones but then like others I stopped and its all come back! Lockdown bellies in my case.

As always this has been a supportive, informative and friendly place! In fact I still have my journal from that time and even printed out Wendy’s good advice to me! Thank you for sharing your efforts its helped me to stay on track!

I started the fast 800 last week and I have already lost 5lbs, I know its only water but I count it as a loss! I have 20 steps to go (ive written weight loss markers) appreciate inches can be lost too so have noted these down too!

I have bought the updated versions of MM books and the BSD 8 week recipe book has been great for me. As my food choices have been varied, planned, tasty and filling 😋
    I do like the science, physical, nutrition advice given and it works! I have many of the books suggested by Fung and Taub, which I will be dipping into again rather than the kettle crisp bags!

I think MM is starting to address the mental health issues, ie mindfulness etc. That is the crux for me. I am an emotional eater and I have used mindfulness and will be using other tools such as yoga, massage, hypnotherapy, journal writing, in varying degrees to deal with deep rooted issues around food and body image. So reading the positive thread has helped too. But I do think that this is the other piece of the jigsaw, human emotional response/approach to food and eating. Some have experienced trauma, life crisis and the way we cope can have a massive impact on how we look after ourselves physically and emotionally.

Thanks for reading my long post and looking forward to our shared journey!

• posted by Lily
    on

Hi everyone, would it be ok to join you please?

I’ve had an account here for a long time but haven’t posted since January(?) 2016, though I’ve known for a very long time that I’m someone who has to do lower carb to see any kind of results because with 5+ stones to lose, I lose heart when I can only lose half a pound to one pound a week on traditional weight shedding plans.

My other half died in June 2016 after falling seriously ill two and half weeks earlier. It turned out to be cancer, so widespread they couldn’t figure out where it started and I found myself a widow at 46. I’ve been trying to slim down for years but I’ve tried so hard since then to shift this weight. Our son is now 24 and I’m so scared (he’s scared as well!) that something will happen to me too—for a whole lot of reasons I won’t get into right now, he’s not had it easy, poor lad.

I lost 3 stones on an 800kcal meal replacement diet back in 2017 but somehow lost the plot (again), perhaps because I’d unrealistically hoped that being slimmer would somehow make the grief easier to bear (it didn’t. Turns out weight loss is not a panacea for all woes, and definitely not for losing your husband of 22 years). I, like most people I think, underestimated grief. I thought it might be like it was when I lost my Mum in 2005—which was horrible, but it didn’t feel like it might kill me. This did. I found out that losing the love of your life is like losing a limb. The loss of the present and the future. The loss of shared memories (if you’re the only person on earth who remembers events, did they actually happen?) It changes everything. It’s taken me 4 years to feel anything like “normal” and even then, the odd day catches me out. Like tomorrow (Friday) being my husband’s birthday. Or at least, it would have been…

Hmm, really sorry. I didn’t mean to get quite so dark and deep! I think I just wanted to explain why I’m here, and why this feels like it might be the moment I finally get this right. I’ve been doing WW for about 6 weeks but haven’t lost more than about a pound—in fact, I lost most of my lockdown gain courtesy of toothache which eventually ended with a tooth being extracted. 4 weeks of not being able to chew works rather well for weight loss but I really don’t recommend it… 🙂

I planned to watch the MM show last night having no intention of jumping aboard. And yet that’s exactly what I’ve done. I think it might have been the blood tests bit that did it.

Today, I’ve eaten just under 800 calories, every one tracked in Nutracheck. And I want to go the whole 12 weeks if I can. I’ve done low carb before and I’ve done intermittent fasting before, 5:2 before—every diet under the sun before. So I’m not sure why I know this will be different—but somehow I do.

But I could really use some support along the way and would be happy to support others too.

Day 1 almost done!

on

Lily,
    You are definitely in the right place. This is my penny worth post and I know you will have more support from others in the days, weeks, months and years to come!

Thank you for sharing your story so honestly and it was very heartfelt. I’m so sorry for your loss and I think you are incredibly brave strong and human in your response to the loss of your husband. I’m no expert. I’ve experienced losses not like yours but of other significant people I love and care about. I have experienced other traumas too. A friend of mine always says Be kind to yourself and I say that to you now. Amazing, that you lost so much before, proves you can do it! And you will again! I’m sure you have but get some help with your grief, therapy perhaps? I appreciate not everyone wants to or can but it can help for some. I know that my emotional approach, as said before, will be significant in how successful I am with weight loss and BSD journey. I have just under 5 stone to go myself so happy to join you ✋ in our journey to a healthier way of being and living. I tried shakes before but don’t work for me, I love the new BSD 8 week recipe book. But if the shakes work for you, go for it!
    Like you, I have been hesitating to start but I did last week. I’m glad I posted today ☺ on your first BSD day! 👏
    I hope you and your son can comfort and mark tomorrow somehow celebrate your husbands life and your time together.
    Be kind to yourself 💖

• posted by Lily
    on

Aww, thanks for the lovely welcome, Eclecticrajistani 🙂
    And oh, I’ve had all sorts of therapy and lots of support from friends but sadly, there are some things that just take time, I’m afraid. I’m getting there.

Re BSD, I’m not doing shakes, at least, not yet (I have ordered some of MM’s shakes, just so I have that option). For now I’m going to eat real food!

Hope you sleep well (perhaps I shouldn’t assume you’re in the U.K.—but I am and it’s definitely time for bed!).

• posted by SunnyB
    on

EclecticRajistani, apologies I don’t remember you from before, but a warm welcome back nonetheless. We are very happy to welcome returnees and newcomers, who want to make this important life change. You sound very organised and determined and you know you can do this, having done so before. However, we are pleased to be here to offer advice and support when needed …. we are happy to share our own stories and journeys and experience based knowledge.
    You are right that getting a handle on the mental/emotional aspect can be the most challenging part of this way if eating …. or indeed of just understanding our relationship with food. I would say though, that having the forum was definitely what got me to my end goal and more importantly, to be able to maintain that position. Having the community to use as a sounding board has been hugely important. Anyway, wishing you every success and will look forward to sharing your BSD journey.

Lily, that was such a brave and frank account of the tragic loss of you husband and your situation, it’s obvious you have a really rough time and by the sounds of it, you are still very much still dealing with the fall out. Really hope that today is not as awful as you fear it might be, but be gentle with yourself and don’t demand too much from yourself.
    It’s great that you feel you are now in a place where you can prioritise your health and do something important for YOU. Just take it one day at a time, baby steps until you are comfortably back in the swing of things.
    It’s important to remember that we are all unique, all lose at different rates and that weight loss is not linear and that any loss is a loss. So if there is a week when you only lose half a pound, even if you are doing everything right, it’s still a step in the right direction. Anyway, warmest wishes and a big hug … hope to be reading about your progress soon.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh my !!!!! Eclectic is back !!!! For those who were around at that time…we began together ( September 1st 2018 for me) and so we were able to share our experience as we continued down the BSD/Fast 800 path. And then silence ….

Eclectic I have shouted out to you ( and Amz too !!) so many times hoping you would come back…and here you are ! I am so happy !
    So..I am still here almost 2 years later and 5 stone/30 kilos down.I have been doing my best to maintain since September last year when I wrote my first anniversary post (it’s on here somewhere ) about what I had learned. I’m not perfect ..most definitely not and I believe once you have had a problematic relationship with food you have to be vigilant ,always. Portion control is still an issue for me as I can over eat healthy foods like Greek yoghurt, nuts and dark chocolate. I am however, relieved to have cracked the sugar /carb addictions and like you have read umpteen books about low carb eating , fasting etc so no going back.

I know you were struggling with the stresses of looking after your inlaws and fully understand that things were getting tough for you. Finding a way to tackle emotional eating is one of the greatest challenges but you know you will always find support on here. I remember your determination and focus with great fondness !
    Are you still teaching, Eclectic ? I retired at the end of this school year although it was a pretty strange end to my teaching career.
    So looking forward to getting back in touch and if there is anything in my experience that resonates with you, just ask !

Wendy xx

on

Hi SunnyB, as promised 😊 to Lily a wonderful response from the forum! Thank you!

Yes I started when Wendyleg did, we were buddies, but I dropped out of the race 😬 for various reasons but I’m thrilled to read her success, carrying the BDS baton 💪 to support us. In fact she actually she even mentioned me a year ago hoping/clucking I would return 🤣 so here I am. Wendyleg in France still? retired now? I’m back to teaching, promoted over lockdown. Were you able to visit sons in 🇦🇺 before the pandemic?

SunnyB, You were also very supportive I remember your posts too. How is your journey going? And I agree the forum kept me going but I felt ashamed 😔 when I fell off the BDS way of living and didn’t want to post anymore but I’m going to check in daily here and in the positive thread regardless warts and all so that when I fall I will be supported by all of you to get up. Day 10 for me and its a 6lbs weightloss!

Also on the yogurt front I am all about the full fat greek version, this will be my brunch. I have a bullet coffee, my version in the morning/ sometimes for brunch too. 1 nespresso capsule, 1 tsp of coconut oil, a couple of dashes of single cream. As MM says good appetite suppressant but also I’ve never been a fan of brekkie so happy to skip it. Low fat diet days argue for the opposite!

Lily, yes I am in the UK and it’s going to be a very ☀️. I will light a candle today for your husband’s birthday and for your journey. I think SunnyB words about your grief very well put…im glad you had therapy and I do respect that like you said this will take time. Please keep posting!

I will respond to other posts too. So apologies if I haven’t done so at first but I just wanted to re introduce myself and restart…and so another day 😌

• posted by Lily
    on

Thanks Sunnyb – and yes, a timely reminder that the “journey” is different for all of us. I know that this works—I’ve done it many times before (although mainly with shakes rather than real food) but I’m one of those who easily loses the plot if the scales don’t agree with my perception of what they should say. In fact, I’m toying with not weighing at all for a while. It would be much better for me, mindgames-wise, to measure my progress in terms of successful days on plan than focus on the numbers on the scale (which lie for all sorts of reasons!). Maybe if I commit to NOT weighing now, right here—perhaps for a month? Not weigh myself until 7 September? It’s an aspiration 😂 I did weigh this morning (day 2) and have lost 2.4lbs since yesterday. Good old water weight. So today, I’m 15st 9.2lbs (219.2lbs or 99.43kg). Let’s see how this works out… 🙂

Haven’t eaten yet this morning but my stomach’s starting to growl, might knock myself up a nice red pepper and onion omelette shortly.

Hope everyone has a great day.

• posted by Lily
    on

Ooh, hello to Wendleg and EclecticRajistani too—looks like we all posted at a similar time. 🙂 What a lovely supportive place this is. 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Lily I was so moved by your post, it brought tears to my eyes. You are so brave.I dare not even contemplate the pain and grief which you have suffered and which still sounds very raw.
    Sending you a massive hug on your husband’s birthday . My goodness you need lots of hugs.
    I totally agree with everything Eclectic and Sunny have said about looking after yourself and coming on here is a major positive move which shows you want to take care of your health and relieve your (and your son’s worries)
    So our little community is here for you, Lily , a sympathetic and caring outlet for when you need a bit of support. I fully understand it has taken years for you to even approach coming to terms with what has happened to you. Yes, let this be the moment which makes a difference..take it slowly and we will will do anything we can to make you smile again xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Eclectic…yes, still in France …this is home. My boys are still in Australia and we haven’t been able to return to visit them as yet. I did get to see one of my sons in the summer last year and the other at Christmas in the Uk but apart from that we depend on Whatsapp.Thank goodness we can do video calls.They are both well although Melbourne is locked down again ( Hi Merry,Hi EC !!)

Travel in retirement is on hold right now obviously but hopefully we will be able to get away sometime.

Nothing to be ashamed of Eclectic..we all have different challenges and noone knows the difficulties we are facing.What is important is just to take charge of ourselves and our health because we are worth it ! That message is for anyone who doesn’t feel able to post right now after losing track.It’s ok..just come back .

Lily, don’t let the scales dictate your mood. If it feels ok , fine… some people need the constant accountability . If weighing is likely to disrupt you then by all means don’t do it so often.I used to weigh once a week and note the numbers down in my old fashioned journal.I started off a bit heavier than you and after my multiple failed attempts at losing weight, this is the only program that has worked for me and I know it’s sustainable.You can do it too !!

• posted by caronl
    on

Welcome back Amz, Eclectic and welcome to Lily too. So pleased to see that the group has already given you all a big hug. This is definitely a shared journey – with ups and downs along the way. The important thing is to keep pointing in the right direction – and loving yourself along the way…! I’m having a bit of a roller coaster journey, but still holding on tight. Wishing you all a good start, particularly to Lily on a really difficult day today.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Caronl, your comment about pointing in the right direction, reminded me of this ancient Buddhist saying …
    ‘If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.’
    Whilst looking for this, I stumbled on a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson, which I felt worth sharing …
    ‘Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can.’

Please log in or register to post a reply.