One week at a time beginning 9th November 2021 REBOOT !!! MOTIVATIONAL SUPPORT

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

This seems to be a difficult, critical time for many of us and it’s no time to give up.

Come on everyone , let’s keep going . Give yourself manageable targets . Plan for several days, a week , from now until the end of the year ?

There is time to make a difference and noone needs to feel they are failing . We all have our challenges but what is important is to NEVER GIVE UP , to shout out when you are struggling and as JGwen always said

FIND YOUR WHY

Please believe you are doing the very best you can for yourself and you deserve no less !!!

Wendy,SunnyB and sunshine girl xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

COME ON EVERYONE !!

Wendleg /Wendy
    SunnyB
    Sunshine girl/Denise
    Florab85 /Lauren
    Onestep
    Elle-mae
    Orange Panda Momma/Amz
    RubyG and hubby
    Windyjulz
    Antigone
    Tulip/Clare
    Arcticfox
    JGwen
    California girl/Julia
    Caronl
    Merry melba
    AlysJ
    Stresseatingpro
    CurryTruck
    Iggyboo
    LindaandHubby
    Annie W
    Handles
    Rockandrolltofu
    shammy
    GAD
    Julinka
    Magicbean
    BernieR
    Sixturkeys
    Neicolec
    Handles

• posted by wendleg
    on

SG I also am very motivated for this November reboot . I too have had my wobbly moments but there is no way I am going to go back to my old unhealthy ways. It is hard at times though and reaching the right mindset and staying there is not always easy . You have the diabetes issue which keeps you on track . We can all find our reasons to make changes and continue on this path .

Maybe we should post them on here , stick them on the fridge, anywhere , whatever helps !!!!!

Sorry you have ongoing stresses there . Just take the pressure off and as you say give yourself time to prepare . Remember that you are in charge and nothing will happen without your agreement .

• posted by wendleg
    on

WENDLEG’S WHY !!!!

Why am I still here after beginning my low carb/FAST 800 in September 2018 ?

I want to live a long, healthy life . I want to be fit enough to run around after my grandkiddies ( one day !!) I want to be a good role model for them and gently show them that sugar is not a treat or a comfort . I want to continue wearing smaller , loud, more fitted clothes and never again hide away in bland colours,ample tunics and leggings . I want to continue doing exercise without it hurting . I never again want to be addicted to sugar and carbage which harm me . I don’t want to be fearful of food because I am in control

Not just one , sorry !!

If it helps, let us know your reasons so we can continue to remind you !!!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

These weekly threads do come round quickly. Are posts and conversations being lost as we segue to a new week (which is such a short time in grand scheme)?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi SixT !
    We have always had a weekly thread to respond to a need for shorter targets and accountability.
    There are other longer term threads…Advancing into Autumn,Stepping into Spring,Countdown to…., etc etc which span several months and people choose which thread they want to participate in.

There still seems to be a need for the weekly thread and we have a faithful band of contributors and our own identity.
    I always post a reminder to inform people I am about to move into a new week,so hopefully no-one gets lost !
    However….
    If you and others would prefer a longer term thread because you find the week comes round too quickly..let me know and we can make that change .

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thank you Wendy for starting our new week.
    Today I am going back to the gym for the first time since early 2020. (we did some popup classes in those last months before lockdowns) In 2019 our gym was demolished to build a beautiful new gym/pool complex – and the works were very slowed down due to our long lockdowns. But as we came out of lockdown a couple of weeks ago the new gym facility has finally reopened. So I have paid my membership (hopefully that motivates me) and our wonderful instructor has returned as have several of our group – so there is no excuse not to go. I have turned down work so that I can make it to these sessions – as I need to get my fitness back and make it a priority.🤸‍♀️🤸‍♀️ My WHY.
    On the food front I’m keeping on my maintaining track for now. Lots of veggies and proteins with some dark chocolate too. A bit of wine has crept in lately – so need to keep an eye on that!
    Oh – and on the parcels to Australia Wendy….the Australia Post system is still experiencing delays with their deliveries. Completely overwhelmed with parcel deliveries as so many shop online now. I have my fingers crossed that your sons receive their parcels on time! 🎄🤶🎄
    Have a lovely week everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh Merry that new flash gym sounds very cool and I hope you enjoy spending time back there . It must feel great to get your freedom back.
    Thanks for the info about Australia post . I dropped off my parcel this morning . Hopefully it won’t spend weeks holed up in Roissy airport in Paris . Last time when it finally left Paris it arrived in Sydney then Brisbane and finally Cairns .So fingers crossed it arrives in time for Christmas but the content is less sentimental this time . I will stress less about it !!

That’s great that you are on track maintaining.I have had to be very careful as portion sizes were creeping up and I sensed I was in a danger zone . Maybe I am fortunate as certain high carb foods really have no appeal for me now but I can still over eat the good stuff .

I wanted to welcome Handles and hoping to see as many as possible joining us .

I just had my very first flu jab in the chemist so will see what happens there

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Can completely understand why a weekly thread can be helpful. It was more Lauren’s post last week which did strike a chord and maybe something others have also experienced so deserves attention, rather than maybe just left hanging. Lauren I do hope you can see through this feeling of “unworthiness” and look forward to your wedding with all the excitement it deserves.

• posted by florob85
    on

Thank you six T, I appreciate your comments!

Probably won’t post much this week, work has kicked off big time and I’m firefighting on all sides!!! But will be here on the sidelines cheering you all on

L x

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

WENDLEG I just popped in and read your WHY 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 xx very motivational. I love everything you said. Really love where you say,teaching future grandchildren that sugar isn’t a treat or a comfort. That’s SO important! 💕
    Love that JGWEN said FIND YOUR WHY!Thank you JG! That’s brilliant!
    Soooo glad I called in and read your post WENDY X

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, on your comment 6T about lack of continuity in conversations in a week. It only really happens if someone comments on the last day and it gets overlooked but I am sure Sunny, Wendy and I will be watching out to guide anyone to our new week and also pick up on what was being said.

On that note, Tulip I still dont know which is which. A swede to me is small and white with a purple blush, about the size of an apple. A turnip is purple and orange and pretty ugly and what we used to use a jack o lanterns when I was a kid before pumpkins existed in the UK. To confuse matters even more they are called ratabaga here in France but I also think that is the name in the States.

Got my DVD of Shaun T exercises out the morning and did my first stint of the year. The cover is going on the pool tomorrow so that is well and truly finished with until around April. We have a nice new pool about 20 to 25 mins drive away and they do an oldies session on a Wednesday morning, if I can be bothered. Not tomorrow as working on our pool.

You all know my WHYS for this diet and why I am still doing it after more than 5 years. Diabetes, insulin, tons of other meds and a healthier life. I dont want to lose my eyesight or have to have an extremity amputated or suffer with kidney damage or stroke/heart attack. Just some of the complications of diabetes. Being as vain as the next person I would also like to look better in my clothes and try to get rid of my ginormous boobs 🙂

Have a great week and keep on keeping on…

• posted by HopefulGal76
    on

Hi Everyone
    Im new to forums. By chance I found this thread- am so excited to find a group that’s recently starting the BSD! It’s day 3 for me on 800 calories. I’m feeling tired, headachy and irritable. Did anyone feel this way? The results from participants who’ve done this program have been impressive. I would be ecstatic to lose even a few kilos after 2 weeks. My past history on diets have been woeful 😩

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Hi HopefulGal76 welcome. The symptoms you are experiencing are caused by carb withdrawal (carb flu) and they will pass. In the meantime keep up your water intake and you could try a zero sugar electrolyte & magnesium sports drink, you can get it on Amazon.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Loving the ‘why’ thread- I just have so little time atm but thinking about the why will undoubtedly help me too.

SG- opposite for me- turnips are the little white ones and swedes the big nobbly ones with more orange flesh 😂😂

Yesterday I managed to complely avoid the baked spuds I prepped for everyone else by making myself something totally different- BSD friendly stuffed pepper- but hubby just offered me a biccie with my coffee and old habits die hard (someone offering you something because they think it will make you feel better and not wanting to hurt their feelings and hard to resist something kinda shoved in your face 🙄🙄)…

Love to all xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Aww thanks Yowser …I reckon it’s important to always return to our Whys…I love reading the Positive Threads too and your kindness and exuberance are endearing and uplifting 🤗🤗.

Welcome Hopefulgal76 ! Glad you found us and you really are right to be hopeful. After years of serial dieting this is the only programme that has worked for many of us. It entails a massive change of mind set and attitude to certain foods which are often seen as comforting but are harming your health.
    Yes Elle Mae is spot on about the initial carb flu symptoms as you are withdrawing from the sugar. Keep hydrated, add a bit of salt to your water and stick with it. There is a lot of advice and support available to you so don’t hesitate to ask .

Lauren I hope you get through this week unscathed . Thinking of you.

Tulip..well done on making the right choice for you. It can’t be easy when catering for a family. Hope you manage to get through the week without too much stress.
    Thinking of Amz,Julz,articfox too and hoping to hear from anyone who has gone a bit quiet xx

on

Hi all, messed up a bit this morning. Always do a blood test before I do anything else or eat and this morning it was low at 71 (3.7) but I wasnt worried as I was eating straight away as we had people coming to help with the pool. Had half a plain yoghurt with one kiwi fruit and a sprinkle of flaked almonds. We had a lot of help with the cover but I still had to do some heavy lifting and pulling taut bungee straps to secure the cover. I went indoors to make them a hot drink and felt myself going. Vision was like looking through a window with rain running down it – that is the only way I can describe it – looking through water. Then I got the tingles in my lips and fingers. I knew I was going into hypo so I did all I could and that was a glucose sachet (pure sugar at 92% carbs and 42 cals), still felt weird so I had an after 8 mint – left over from last Christmas, and started to feel better. But, it annoys me that I try so hard to stick to my diet and then my body lets me down. I think it was the lack of food and the exertion in helping with the pool cover that set it off. I did do a blood check and it was okay at 92 (4.9) but that doesnt mean anything when you are going going gooooooing gone.

Im okay but annoyed at having to have sweet things. Also didnt want to look stupid in front of other people and a little boy who would have been scared to death if I had ended up on the floor. Anyway, all is well. Taking it easy now with some computer games and some painting.

• posted by Onestep
    on

Hi everyone,

Been a few weeks since last check in, felt a bit how others seem to be, unmotivated, think it’s the cold dark weather for me, I just want to be wrapped up with something warm in front of a fire.

Oh SG that sounds awful hope you are feeling a bit better now.

I’m doing ok, had bloods done which are looking good prediabetic wise which I’m super pleased with, although it did show Acute Kidney injury which kidneys have never been a problem before but read somewhere that high protein diet can cause kidneys to suffer, anyone experienced this?

Had a few off meals/and/or snacks but decided thats not too bad as my mind keeps telling me I want to get back on it so I can’t be going to far wrong with this woe.
    Have a good week all xx

• posted by RubyG
    on

RubyG and hubby hanging in there, but only just.
    Hubby is still slowly losing and managing to keep low carb when out and about with work (melanzane and salad for lunch yesterday) but I am struggling to even maintain in the top half of the 11st mark – hormones all over the place, work doing its best to kill me, and just a general feeling of overwhelm. Sorry to dump all this, I know this is a safe place, and I know too that this will pass. I have not indulged in carbage but I have been snacking (the pesky nuts are almost finished, I must not buy more………..) and portion sizes are too big, but I’ve also had moments of feeling so hungry I feel nauseous.
    Reading back, a year ago I would have bitten your arm off to weigh in under 12st so maybe I just need to take a step back and practice gratitude for today.
    I guess I’m struggling to find my why again – I fit into my nice new clothes, my weight and health are not limiting what I can do, my BP last week during a particularly stressy work episode was 124/68, and I need another nudge to get the weight shifting down again. I’ll see if I can find where my WHY is hiding 🙂

• posted by florob85
    on

Above post reported xx

Sunshinegirl I’m so sorry you had a hypo, that must be so frustrating especially when you are so diligent, I hope you are feeling better now xx

Ruby huge huge hugs coming your way, I know that feeling of overwhelm and work trying to kill you all too well, wish I knew the answer, but take care of yourself xx

Tulip, keep going you can do it!

Onestep welcome back, you can do it too!

Everyone else keep going!

Lauren xx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Long term why is that my trunk would not look so ). An immediate why is what is it with scales? There is no way that you can put on a kg and put it down to permanent excess, then not have it next day. So, binning them and looking back at all the good advice from JGwen and I would advise everyone to do the same. I know that my bra is looser. Shame about the ) in profile but hope to reduce. There’s always spanx or equivalent to contain the 7 months gone look for the mo. I have been thinking of WindyJulz as the only horse owner i “know”, and the video doing the rounds of that woman “reprimanding” her pony at a “hunt”. Just trotting round from back of horsebox to his pal, easily caught and then all that aggro? Appalling.

• posted by Bernie R
    on

Good Morning What A great idea lets Support each other !
    This is such a great flow of knowledge that gets shared .
    You all do an amazing job!
    I hope I am now subscribed to this new link.
    Thanks for the invite
    Regards Bernie

• posted by OrangePandaMomma
    on

Hello. Amz here. I’m mostly recovered but, of course, my sweet daughter caught my cold. She’s almost better already thankfully, in just a fourth of the time it took me to heal. Darn my compromised immune system. 😑 I’ll be doing my best to stay the course this week, though i might not be in here much as i have to make up for days i was sick.

• posted by HopefulGal76
    on

Thanks for the tips Elle-Mae! I have upped my liquids to 6 glasses of water which is making a difference. You are prob right about the carb withdrawals. Im looking forward to ketosis hitting so I won’t feel so hungry. I promised myself I wouldn’t weigh myself until end of the week but snuck a look today and found that I lost 1.2kg after 4 days and lost about 1cm off my waist. This is a huge milestone for me as I’ve struggled to lose weight on previous diets incl 5:2. This result is certainly keeping me motivated. What’s the experience so far for everyone else?

• posted by RubyG
    on

Morning all, trying for a better day today.
    SG your hypo sounds scary, at least you recognise it and can take quick action, but I guess it’s a reminder on here that diabetes is not to be messed with.
    I still haven’t found the safe place I must have stashed my WHY, but I am going to take the day one hour at a time.
    ODAAT!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Thanks Wendy, thanks Lauren! SG….glad you are ok now!
    Looking for my why too Ruby G….I think I feel similar to you- which is part of the problem….I have regained about half a stone or so but still so much better than before when I was very round…..
    However had a closer look at some of my measurements this morning- BMI now up to 26.3 where I had got it to just below 25, waist measure up by 2.5″ 😱……putting me 4″ above recommended for my height…
    So, I will continue to think about my why some more and see if I can motivate myself better….
    Love to all xxx

• posted by florob85
    on

Ruby and Tulip you’ve got this xx

on

Hi all , well what a day and night I have had. After getting over my hypo and stuffing my face I managed to stick with my weight so that is a plus. Then, in the afternoon I had a call from my daughter with my grandson screaming in the background. When we were over there he had terrible stomach pains and vomiting which I recognised as a possible appendicitis for various reasons. We couldnt get him to a doctor and finally the nurse rang and I told her what I thought – she laughed and said ‘once a nurse always a nurse’ but with a bit of sarcasm. She asked if I thought he needed an ambulance and I said yes so the surgery called one. You can guess what happened. Four hours later we called ambulance control and they said another 7 hours so we cancelled as he was feeling better. I left my daughter with strict instructions to take him straight to hospital if it happened again. So that is what happened yesterday. As soon as she managed to get him out of the car a nurse had to help her with him. Short story. Appendicitis and he was operated on this morning and all is well. So I havent had very much sleep. At least he is okay now. This is the sort of thing that really worries me about the UK but also a reason why I want to be there so I could look after him.

Not much else to say.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh my goodness SG. What a stressful time you are having. So terrifying when family members fall ill and we can’t be there. If only you had been listened to after the first incident. The NHS is on its knees and I feel for both staff and patients coping with an overstretched system. So glad that your grandson got the operation and can recover now.
    Take care of yourself xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Glad you found our current thread Bernie and can follow along with us .

Glad you are feeling better Amz and hopefully your daughter is well on the way to recovery now. Take good care and just do your best xx

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Oh my goodness SG! At least your grandson has now been treated appropriately and is hopefully on the mend ❤️

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Bernie R thank you for your kind words.

on

Thank you for your good wishes. He was sat up in bed eating jelly when I spoke to him on whatsapp. Daughter said he must watch american tv but I know it was because I told him I ate jelly when I had my appendix out when I was 10 years old. Funny that he remembered. They will keep him in until Saturday but he is so much better now and out of all that pain. I feel cross with myself that I didnt put my foot down and take him to the hospital myself when we were there but they might just have sent him home.

Anyway he is good and I can have a good cry now. Still not given in on the alcohol.

on

Hi everyone, where ever you are, it has gone very quiet. Welcome to Hopefulfal76. Sorry I havent been around but I have had a stressful few days. All is well and little George is back home and sitting in front of the telly with his mum eating whatever he can manage.

I dont know how I have managed but I have been determined not to let this impact on my diet i.e. have a few drinks, and I have lost even more weight. Not a great amount but 2kgs since I set my goal of 5kgs. Might not make it as it is only 4 weeks to go before our trip to England but not too shabby so far.

Come you all, let us know how you are getting on. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

It’s funny but now I have got to target I am feeling hungrier than I was on 800 cal’s, I’m not eating carbs so that’s not it, just the same but more food. Maybe it’s all in the mind. I am happy to report that 5.2 so far (2weeks in) is working at maintaining 😁👍 I have even had a Burger King but minus the bun, which was nice but extremely messy as eaten in the car. I am also wondering if salady types of food will be less appealing as the weather gets worse. Chorizo and bean salad for lunch today on a very grey drizzly November day, so far from the Mediterranean.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi SG, you are a star!

My diet is unmentionable this week, but more importantly my parents came to visit- 3rd attempt since September- 1st my Dad broke his ribs and then 2nd my son caught covid…..soooo, they finally made it, and there was much feasting and I just was able to relax for the 1st time in a while- not least because my dad took a load of taxi-ing kids jobs from me for a couple of days, so I could concentrate on my work and other things.

I need to be back being sensible with my eating tomorrow (they headed off around tea time as mum has her covid booster tomorrow).

Love to all xxx

p.s. Elle-Mae, well done on reaching your target! Do keep us informed of your maintenance progress and how you manage it….I hit my target back in late Winter/ early Spring and maintained until the Summer, when holidays and such helped me gain 10 lbs back….so currently struggling still to find my weight loss mojo and hold onto it for more than a few days….hope to get back to a weight I am happy maintaining soon….ish? Perhaps I need a firmer plan!!

• posted by Bernie R
    on

The reason why I live on the BSD is Health Energy happiness and to drive my blood results in the right direction.
    I have a few times like before a meal time or busy or stressed when I would normally pop something sweet ,Fatty, Or full of simple carbs into my mouth.
    I have my blood results and my current health issue on my fridge door.
    I stop and think about the Long term impact on driving up my Blood sugar.
    i have a new habbit of Putting on the Kettle and having one or two cups of Mint tea Instead.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Back home after working away last week, dreading the scales tomorrow, I have definitely mislaid my mojo and eaten far too much recently. I need a reboot (yes, again)!
    On a positive note, hubby and I have both booked our booster jabs for the end of the month/early December.
    I will try for a better week!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone .Still here .The second half of the week has galloped by .I am still movtivated but not perfect by any means as nuts and apples featured in my weekend which they wouldn’t if I was being super strict .

I hope everyone is OK .Ruby don’t worry you can reboot any time .Glad you are focused on your whys Bernie.Good health definitely top of my list too . Remember to watch out for the new thread later but there will be a reminder when you come on here .

Tulip/Clare you needed that relaxing time after so much stress and covid related cr*p .Well done ElleMae on reaching your target !!
    Amz, Lauren hope you are ok ?

I will check in later when I get back from my physio appointment xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am about to set up the new weekly thread

ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 16TH NOVEMBER 2021 HALFWAY REBOOT !!

on

Just a quick hello.

Elle-Mae, a great comfort food recipe is the one from the original BSD book (not the recipe book) on page 207 Spanish chickpea and spinach soup. If you dont have the recipe I will post it for you on next weeks thread.

RubyG this is why the weekly thread is so important. Log on tomorrow and you can start with renewed enthusiasm.

Im doing okay and will report on weight loss (or otherwise) tomorrow in the new thread.

Please log in or register to post a reply.