One week at a time beginning 6th APRIL 2021…onwards everyone !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry … what was I thinking ?

• posted by wendleg
    on

So the Easter weekend is drawing to a close . Another celebratory milestone to navigate ? How did you get on ? If it was a time of indulgence , well maybe that was just what you needed as lockdown is easing in the UK ?? Maybe for lots of people a welcome time to gather with a few friends and family ?

However you spent the weekend, if it was slightly excessive in terms of choc and buns, well that’s ok . It’s done and we can look forward now with fewer distractions .

We are at the beginning of April . For lots of you that signals the advent of warmer weather, socializing , haircuts and general optimism . So we are in a positive frame of mind, right ?

We are in the midst of further lockdown in France but we do have decent weather and space despite travel restrictions . We will cope .

So let’s look forward to the next few weeks with a smile and determination, one week at a time !

Do come and join us , or check in if you are already part of our merry band

Wendy, Sunshine Girl and SunnyB

• posted by wendleg
    on

wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer
    Sheila Canning
    JustKeepFasting
    Bryla
    kiltgirl
    Deb2003
    Donnadoobie
    HappiR
    WilLuck
    PaulaZ
    Faithlyn67
    Onetowatch
    nicnocgee
    Smead01 ( Samantha)
    Goforgoal
    Britta
    Mokovex
    DebOflo
    Riverrock
    HopefulinOz
    Quetzal
    Onnipinoy
    Daisybean
    Dahfi

• posted by wendleg
    on

Post from Lauren
    Hi Dahfi and welcome! Shout if you have any questions, even if it seems silly!

Bit of advice for your first few days
    1. Track and weigh EVERYTHING so you can be sure of your calories
    2. Drink all the water – at least 2-3 litres a day, but don’t be frightened of fizzy water or tea or coffee (but track the milk if you have that)
    3. You might get “carb flu” – it feels horrible but push through it because it does get better, a bit of extra salt can help with the symptoms
    4. Ask us for help!!
    5. Track your carbs – most try and stay below 50g a day, some as low as 20g or less, and beware of hidden carbs in things like milk, onions, tomatoes, fruit etc. Stick to above ground veg (but not squash which is an exception)
    6. Cauliflower is your friend in terms of replacing rice or pasta or potatoes

I’m sure others will be along with their own advice too!

Wendy, if we’ve gone back in time to the beginning of March does that mean my disastrous March didn’t happen and I can do it again?? 😀 I like this idea!

Well I had a wobbly and not always successful climb back on the wagon last week after a disastrous couple of weeks, but I’ve weighed this morning and gained 6lb which is not a disaster but enough and needs to stop. I’ve kicked this week off with a 24 hour fast, defo wouldn’t be able to do more than that at the mo, I was feeling quite rubbish by the time the 24 hours was up at dinner time. Had an emotional Easter, my sister has a lot going on and is super stressed and tends to lash out when she is stressed, so we all ended up rowing yesterday and lots of tears and hurt feelings. What a shame! Still got an absolutely crashing headache so I think it’ll be an early night for me with some painkillers!

• posted by wendleg
    on

posted by HopefulinOz on One week at a time beginning 6th March 2021.. onwards everyone !
    on 5 Apr 2021 at 22:09 in Fast 800Report post • permalink
    Hi all.
    Lauren – sorry to hear that the family get together didn’t go as planned. Aren’t families funny things? I am growing more and more certain that everybody’s family is dysfunctional in some way through the years (even the Royals!).

Thank you everybody for the tips on thickeners for sauces. I did end up trying Xanthum Gum last night – about 1/8 teaspoon (for 1 serve), but have definitely woken up bloated. Taste wise though it was fine and definitely did the job.

JGwen and everybody else who have contributed to the carb count chat – thanks for your well researched information. I am taking it all on board. I think I will order one of the ketone breathalysers, because as you point out JGwen, all of our bodies are going to be different and it is probably best to know what works for my body.

Wishing you all a lovely day.

• posted by wendleg
    on

posted by SunnyB on One week at a time beginning 6th March 2021.. onwards everyone !
    on 5 Apr 2021 at 21:41 in Fast 800Report post • permalink

Just a quick drop in, to say welcome to everyone planning to travel with us this week. I’m going to be back in the saddle again properly from tomorrow, having taken a few weeks with my foot off the gas and coasting in maintenance. Limited damage, but a couple of pounds up, so time to get serious again.

Anyway will post properly tomorrow and be a real part of the thread again in the coming week … best wishes to all fellow posters for a good BSD week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

posted by Dahfi on One week at a time beginning 6th March 2021.. onwards everyone !
    on 5 Apr 2021 at 21:14 in Fast 800Report post • permalink
    Hello
    Please could I join?
    I have been lurking but am not new to this woe, having lost almost 40lb post pregnancy a year ago. Somehow I’ve allowed 17lb to creep back on though and am feeling really miserable about it. I tried to lose it again through low carb but have failed so think I need the BSD to re-boot me. Day 1 tomorrow and am desperate for some early progress. Have tomorrow’s meals planned and need to quickly read the book more fully again though the principles are in my head. So worried I’ll never maintain properly but for now just need to get back to the happy place I swore I’d never leave but somehow did. Thanks for having me.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I hope you are not totally confused !!!

Don’t be despondent , Dahfi , be DETERMINED !! You know this way of eating works , so don’t let last year’s experience hinder you . You can do it . Yes, re read the books, watch a few videos as they are great motivators . Remember you can get back that control.

Britta you are in a similar position . How are you doing ?

All the best everyone for this new week xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

posted by ADD6605 on One week at a time beginning 6th March 2021.. onwards everyone !
    on 5 Apr 2021 at 18:38 in Fast 800Report post • permalink

Thanks for including me on the weekly list Wendy.I haven’t done well at all food wise since Christmas.I have been mainly posting on the Easter Bus Tour thread but intend to post on this one too from tomorrow.I’m back to having 24lbs to lose to get down to what I think will be my goal weight.Feeling in quite a positive frame of mind about getting back to this woe,have got lots of salady stuff in so fingers crossed I will eat it this week as last weeks got wasted!Dawn X

Hi Dawn ! Welcome back to the weekly thread as well ! xx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi All,

Welcome to all new members and returning to this WOE members, and hope everyone new and old are doing ok.

Ongoing work on the 5:2….so far little to no progress on weight loss but definitely working for maintenance in spite of the Easter food splurge.

Love to all xxx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Morning all, RubyG and hubby reporting for duty……………..
    We both had a gain over the Easter weekend, although no Easter eggs were consumed. Still, onwards and downwards with determination.
    We are looking at a very disciplined week of tracking EVERYTHING (including the oil or butter used to fry the mushrooms, etc.) and keeping to 800cals and carbs between 20g-50g as far as possible, and drinking all the water. I still haven’t got myself a breathalyser, but will aim for a hypothetical figure and hope for the best for now.
    I have an incentive to not gain any weight over 12st – I have bought a very fitted leather biker jacket – a further loss shouldn’t be a problem, but any appreciable gain and the jacket won’t fit.
    Talking of dysfunctional families – I have lost more than 2st since October, and feeling quite confident in my new clothes, not a natural state for me at all. Hubby sent his Mum a photo of me in my new jeans and jacket, and her comment was along the lines of “can she actually move in that jacket?” Well, yes, actually I can!!!!!!!!!!
    And then I remembered why we avoid family gatherings wherever possible. I have no siblings and therefore no experience or tolerance for sibling squabbles, and lost both my parents a few years back, but still have the in-laws to contend with.
    Keeping on keeping on, let’s have a good week everyone!

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi all,I weighed myself this morning and have gained more since Christmas than I thought but at least I have a starting point and will hopefully chip away steadily to get back to my pre Christmas weight then downwards to what I think will be my goal weight,it’s many years since I have been at that weight so I will have to see how I feel when I get there and decide whether I would like to maintain then or go further.Am tired of feeling bloated and uncomfortable so looking forward to losing that feeling as soon as possible! Dawn X

• posted by florob85
    on

Ruby my Nan used to make passive aggressive comments like that! I loved her dearly but she could be a mean old goat at times!

I’m feeling AWFUL today with a headache that’s verging on migraine but I have to work today so just suck it up I guess!

I feel like I’ve found a bit of mojo today so fingers crossed that lasts, I’m fasting over lunch again today and will have just dinner later, then back to normal tomorrow, trying to mix up the TRE and extended fasting a bit to shake up my metabolism, but defo couldn’t do more than 24 hours fasting yet. Hunters chicken for tea tonight

At least the sun is shining in the UK. My partner and I are going on holiday next week (what should have been our honeymoon, we’re going to stay in a treehouse in Bath!!) so I’ll have to just stick to principles as much as I can but I feel more in control of the carbs than a week ago so that helps. We’ve also decided we’re going to get guinea pigs (well I decided, he just went along with it) so when we come back we’re going to look at some cute babies!! So exciting!

Hope all have a good day

Lauren xx

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Ruby, if it makes you feel any better my Mother In Law once took a photo of my backside as I was leaning over to get into a kayak on Christmas Day, in bathers. She then showed numerous people that photo on Christmas Day laughing and saying “Ooooh, I don’t think Donna will like that photo”!!!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy, thanks for setting up a new, ‘new thread’ and transferring all the posts to ensure everyone can find the right place to be this week.
    Lauren, you’re right, all families are dysfunctional on some level, the trick is to learn to live with it! Not always easy, but better than stressing about things we can’t change. Relax and enjoy your holiday, fingers crossed the weather warms up a bit and you can really enjoy your tree house experience.
    Ruby, I’m sure you look great in your new jeans and jacket. Older family members can be remarkable tackles in voicing opinions of appearance! My great aunt once said to me, ‘What happened to you? You used to be the thin one.’
    Dawn, welcome back …. will look forward to sharing your progress. Dust of the BSD tools you acquired last time, I know you can achieve your goals again.
    Dahfi, welcome and hope the BSD helps you focus. Shout out if you have questions or need support, someone will respond for sure.

Okay, so in interest of accountability, I begin this week 2lbs up on where I was before taking a few weeks coasting. Taking this as a win, as I’ve indulged in a few alcoholic drinks and dark choc too. Now it’s back to the full on 800/20, in a better frame of mind, ready to drop back to target weight. Will also be looking to get back to my routine of meditation and exercise, which has also slipped recently.

Whatever your goals or plans for this week, best wishes to you and remember, this is the place to come to vent if things go poorly and whoop if things go well and we’ll be here to share it all with you.

• posted by florob85
    on

Welcome back SunnyB!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks for everyone’s family insults, they made me chuckle quietly to myself 🙂

Lauren, your holiday in a treehouse sounds amazing, enjoy!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, am I on the right page as Wendy has been doing magic postings. Well done Wendy for all your efforts and for setting up an new week. Welcome to everyone new and old (not so much of the old) returners and sticker like me. Welcome back Sunny, hope you had a good break.

Tomorrow I will have done 2 full weeks of TRE and will do an assessment then. Very exciting as it seems to be going well.

Enjoy the week and lets chat loads.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

I feel a bit rubbish today, somewhat meh….now I’ve eaten a pile of chocolate (ok, twice today, so 2 piles of chocolate)….and now I feel even worse! Sigh….send help!! xx

• posted by florob85
    on

Step away from the chocolate tulip! Or do what my partner does and put it in the fridge – he’s a crazy person who thinks chocolate should be crunchy, he is wrong. But it works because I hate chocolate crunchy so I won’t touch it if it’s in the fridge!

You can do it!!!!!!!! Can you get some chocolate mint (it’s a herb) or even chocolate mint tea, or just chocolate rooibos or something to have the flavour without the carbs? The chocolate mint tea I used to get was lovely, I think it was twinings??

C’mon you can do it!! I’m lying in bed trying to fight off my headache and vaguely mentioned I was cold to Craig, he promptly ran upstairs and piled about 18 blankets on me including his weighted one so now I couldn’t move if I wanted to!

• posted by Dahfi
    on

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and Wendy for moving my post! And Lauren for the great tips. And everyone really.

I have been reading previous posts this evening and re-read all the principles plus browsed my recipe books for some inspiration. Day 1 went okay – didn’t hit the 800 but a decent start, less than 30g carbs, more water than I normally would drink in a week!, and 30 mins on my exercise bike. Will try and repeat tomorrow with a few less cals. Salad made for lunch. Sounds so manageable when you write it down like that, how did I let it slip away before?! 😂
    Hope everyone else had a good day.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I can do this! Yesterday came in at 650cals and 26g carbs, 3 meals over an 11 hour period with NO extra little pieces of cheese/nuts/peanut butter/square of chocolate 🙂 I decided a short, sharp shock to my body was the way to get it back in line.
    I considered weighing this morning but decided not to, Friday is my next weigh-in and will be better than yesterday, she says with determination!
    ODAAT!

• posted by MagicBean
    on

Morning everybody! Please may I rejoin you all ? I started with 5:2 a few years ago – about the time 6 Turkeys joined- did really well until husband had a 4th heart attack.
    Over lockdown I’ve regained all that I had lost and a bit more besides. Horrified to find myself heavier than ever I’ve been before. 13 stone – should be 11 to be at top of recommended BMI so a way to go.
    Have been stowing away or lurking on bus trying to ignite motivation and feel now is the time to reboot. Love hearing about others’ successes.
    13 stone is about 82 kg so first mini goal is to get below 80.
    Will hope to achieve this goal within next 3 weeks.

Magic Bean

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Huge welcome to you MagicBean, well done on finding motivation to stepping out of the ‘lurking’ gloom to make a start on your road back.

2kg sounds very doable in the time frame you mention, in fact you’ll likely achieve that moni goal before the three weeks are done and you’ll be on to the next mini goal.

Will look forward to sharing on your progress, so please keep us posted.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Thank you Lauren!!! Ha ha, fridge chocolate….just wrong 😂😂.

So today I need to stick to only on-plan foods, not to excess (it’s a 5 not a 2 day so not strictly calorie counting)….tomorrow is a 2 day so v strict. Here’s a plan- if I consider anything really bad I’ll post it here so someone can talk me out of it!! Hopefully that extra step will prevent anything naughty happening at all.

Love to all,
    Tulip1 xxx

• posted by Pashasmum
    on

Starting again

• posted by wendleg
    on

We’ve got several beans now, MagicBean and Daisy bean ! Magic Bean, so sorry to hear about your husband’s heart attack . Very scary . I hope all is well and managed now ? I can understand all that stress would hinder focusing on yourself . All the best to you xx

Reading about families .. crikey some people are so cruel aren’t they ? Why do they think it’s acceptable because it’s family ? I’m fortunate in that I have a lovely, supportive family but then we are all spread over different countries so don’t get to meet up all that often . Don’t let any insults or unkind remarks define you … ignore them .

Tulip/Clare …. chocolate is a danger area for me too . It’s done now so it’s just an experience . I wonder how I would respond to 5:2 ? I suspect I might be tempted to over indulge on the 5 days , telling myself I can limit the damage on the stricter days …hmmm .

Basically I have to not buy certain things or just get hubby to hide them . I have far too many bars of choc in my special box .
    It’s about not totally losing control, I believe which is why lots of carby foods would never pas smy lips . We have to work out our own triggers and find ways to manage them . I get what you are saying RubyG .. I am guilty of sneaking that piece of cheese, almond butter and other nuts . Knowledge is power, though …

Dawn.. stay with us . You will feel better pretty quickly. Plan and look forward. Same advice Dahfi .. keep planning your meals as you reboot so you get thet sense of control back .

Lauren, I hope you are feeling better today and you can look forward to your little break with energy and enthusiasm . You will have a great time, I’m sure .

Nothing very exciting happening here . The sun is shining though . We haven’t seen a single snowflake here . Weird that the Uk has had a very cold, snowy spell . I remember when my son was in the north of France in Lille that the café terraces all had upright heaters . i suppose if they waited for warm, balmy evenings they would never go out . I can see those popping up in the UK ??

Have a good day ( or evening for our lovely Aussie members )

• posted by wendleg
    on

Welcome Pashasmum !!!! xx

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Well that was a bit spooky, I came on to look on the forum after quite an absence and see MagicBean’s post…I have been maintaining; maintaining that is on an upwards (and outwards) podge trajectory. Just as well it is so chilly as all lighter clothing is definitely on the tight side. I have gained an extra turkey, gobble gobble. So I do need to re-focus. I am so BORED though. Apart from lockdown restrictions I have my house on market so don’t want to do anything like sewing or crafts as that might make a mess if I get a sudden viewing. Just utter tedium….

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey 6🦃, good to ‘see’ you again ….. lots of folks here giving the BSD another go, having gained a few pounds over the last year of ups and downs. I know you’ve got this and will get rid of that extra turkey PDQ. Stick with us and keep us posted on progress.

on

Hi all, once again I have done a long post and somehow deleted it so will make this one shorter.

I have been doing TRE for 2 weeks with the aim of reducing my Blood Glucose levels and losing 3kgs in 3 weeks. So far in 2 weeks I have lost 2.1kgs and reduced my BG quite dramatically. Because my BG has been so low (53 one morning, 62, 63 and 70 today) I have been reducing my insulin units from 28 daily now down to 21 last night.

It took me a lot to do the BSD at 800 cals as I was so scared of going into hypoglyceimic shock I really didnt think it was possible. I did it anyway and have only had a couple of incidents. I know how I start to feel if I am going too low, it is like drifting away with blurred vision, numb lips and fingers, weakness, shakiness etc and I have learnt what to do without resorting to high sugar remedies. So for me TRE was a step too far although not really a thing when I started 5 years ago as I was only reading about BSD regarding diabetes control, remission or cure. Felt ready to try it and must say that even with readings as low as 53 I am not getting any symptoms and it seems my body has adjusted to it. I am continuing for a further week and 2 days taking me up to our 28th wedding anniversary when I will have a short break. Onwards and downwards. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sounds like you’re making excellent progress and have the TRE completely nailed, SG. You’ll definitely achieve your goal and will arrive at your anniversary in great shape. ….. KOKO!

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi six turkeys! I know what you mean about the crafting taking up lots of space and making mess! I do lots of different craft and I love it once I’m all set up but getting everything out is a palaver! Do you like puzzle books or even jigsaws? Both make little mess, are quick to clean up and also mildly more entertaining than just watching tv etc so might ease the boredom slightly!

Lauren xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Brilliant results SG and so encouraging to know that your research and experiments are working out as you had hoped . That is fantastic , so pleased for you .

Just a tip but if I want to be sure not to lose my post I copy and paste it into a word processing program ( WORD, Open Office or even Notepad ) Then if it sends I can delete it from where I had copied it . It prevents a lot of frustratiion !

Hi sixturkeys ! You know you can’t stay away from us for ever ! So pleased to see you on the thread . Lockdown has been a challenge for sure but as the situation eases in the Uk ,hopefully you can find the motivation to re focus . Otherwise you will be selling your clothes as well as your house !! Only joking !!

How is everyone doing ? This is my usual shout out to anyone who has been quiet this week . If you need a helping hand we are here .

on

Wendy, it is seriously down to listening to so many conversations on here, my daughter buying me the Fast800 book and to me getting over my fear of not eating.

Talking about people being quiet. Anyone ever hear from Verano. We started this withing weeks of each other and wonder how she is getting on. I know she felt she needed to take a break but hope she still looks in on us from time to time.

• posted by Dahfi
    on

This seems like a lovely group.
    Day 2 has gone well although hungryyyy. Hope it passes by day 4 or 5? ASAP anyway! Can’t remember from last time. I have a 1 year old and when I last did this she was only 3 months old and wasn’t eating solid food yet. So a new challenge this time round to avoid her leftovers 🙂

• posted by Tulip1
    on

SG- sounds amazing with the BGs etc!!

Wendy- it was a work situation- the trust gave us all a little easter egg- milk choc! And I was tired, not feeling very well (have had a bit of a cold this week) and a bit peckish, and fancied it- I ignored my nuts and ate the whole egg, sigh. I ate my as planned healthy lunch and then went home and ate a good chunk of my dark choc easter egg (Lindt 70% +)- usually I eat 85% choc but wanted one Easter egg….anyhow,  home and ate a good chunk of my dark choc easter egg (Lindt 70% +)- usually I eat small amounts of 85% choc but wanted one Easter egg this year….anyhow, I felt dreadful after those 2 big doses of chocolate, even worse (physically as well as mentally)- then myself and daughter had to tackle catching a hen to take to the vet (which was the main source of the stress I mentioned earlier, vet trips make me anxious!!)….so then after her appt I had to wait around in the cold for a while for her antibiotics. By the time we got home all I could do was lie on the sofa, chills, aching all over, fatigue etc etc….luckily hubby got home before too long and cooked for the family….anyhow, a restful evening, a good night’s sleep and a lie in yesterday morning have helped a lot (Weds is my day off and no kids to get to school as is hols), but I am still more tired than usual (well to be honest I’ve not really picked up after my second vaccination 2 1/2 weeks ago) so I guess I need to be extra vigilant on the diet front as tiredness is a dangerous state for nibbling 😂😂

My team lead also bought us a little milk choc egg, which is now lurking dangerously in my study….I could give it to the kids, but it’s mine!!!  Although eating it would be a bad plan….hmmmm…

Re the 5:2, well yes, that’s exactly my problem too Wendy….it’s the 5 days that are tricky. I am on a 2 today so pretty simple- I like the idea of learning not to count cals every single day, but obvs it can be dangerous, so it remains to be seen if it will work for me….I’ve not gained any weight since going on the 5:2, so it may be a good maintenance option for me, but have definitely plateau’d after losing a little…but then, I am also feeling ambiguous about my motivation to lose more weight- I am pretty happy with how I look now, I am back at top of normal BMI, which was a big feat in itself, BGs normal, HR and BP significantly lower (they weren’t clincally high to start with), feeling fit and healthy- but, my waist measurement is not at target healthy yet, being 2.5″ from recommended for my height (have lost 11″ so was really quite round before!!)…so I need to lose a few pounds to get there and also to have some leeway within normal weight range….

That was a long one, sorry all, have a good day xxxxx

• posted by RubyG
    on

Checking in to say Day 2 of my renewed focus went well, 26g carbs but possibly over the 800cals as I didn’t measure the olive oil used to fry the aubergine slices – we had melanzane parmigiana last night, which I haven’t made or eaten for many years (always looked at it as too calorific, but now I am looking at cals vs carbs in a different way).
    I am still wading through the Why We Get Fat book, and it is becoming easier to read.
    I did 30 minutes of Youtube Yoga with Kassandra after logging off from work, and also had a look at The Girl with the Pilates Mat (I did about 20 minutes of a standing 60+ class) 🙂 I am wanting to improve strength and fitness in order to be capable of doing the things I want to do when lockdown eases. My shoulders have felt very tight this week, but even though the exercise was mildly painful yesterday, they do feel better for it today.

The UK weather is not helping the morale this week – after a really positive start to spring it is freezing again.

KOKO!

• posted by MagicBean
    on

Morning to everyone and a huge thank you to Wend leg and Sunny B in particular for the welcome back. Big shout out to 6 🦃 too – sorry to have spooked you but good to know you’re about. You were an inspiration to me.
    Spent part ofyesterday hunting down my copy of the 8 week blood sugar diet book, reflecting on my ‘why’ motivation and what has previously gone well and snags that I allowed to scupper me.
    Part of the why is pure vanity – hate seeing the fleshy overflow out of the top of trousers. ( muffin top doesn’t quite cut it … more of a volcanic eruption!) that number (scale) is the highest ever- it HAS to go down, but also health wise the BP is creeping up and cholesterol was a bit too high and in the wrong combo too when last checked. ( must find that paperwork too so I can compare with time) also I feel heavy and sluggish. I want to feel in charge of something!
    Too much stress has beenpart of my life for a long time and I haven’t chosen the best ways of coping with it. ‘Helpful’ colleagues say stress always makes one lose weight – not the case for me; seems to make it cling on the harder. Does anyone know about cortisol and weight gain? Please let me know if you do.
    Today will take some measurements of strategic spots as this will help I think when that number doesn’t behave quite as I’d like. ( not being negative- just want to avoid that inner toddler that feels instant gratification should happen when I’ve been good. Realistically I didn’t acquire the excess overnight so y should I expect instant results?)

Today and for the next 2/3 days will include upping the water intake to at least 2 litres, making sure I hit the steps goal – over 10000 and avoid the big baddies. Small steps I know but I’m trying to get my head in the right place before deciding my exact plan forwards.
    Good luck to everyone with their goals today – I wish you all, all the best.
    Wendleg – thanks again for your remarks. Unfortunately, due to Covid he didn’t get any rehab so not brilliantly managed. Am hoping he might get inspired to join in with low carbage if he sees a difference in me.
    Re beans on the forums -didn’t there used to be a nurse bean too ?
    See you all later guys
    On and down
    Bean

• posted by florob85
    on

Magic bean I can answer your question about cortisol (yay! A question that plays into my expertise!)

So cortisol is one of our stress hormones as I’m sure you know. Now, stress is actually vital for our survival – but only to a point – too much stress can kill, too little stress can kill. In the early days of stress you are in a state of rapid burn, your stress hormones adrenaline, noradrenaline, cortisol and aldosterone keep you alive essentially, your heart rate is up, blood pressure is up, energy is generated however your body can, but after a while your body can’t sustain this and it starts to slow down.

Cortisol in the early period of stress has several effects
    It first of all slows down your metabolism of carbs interestingly, your body is panicking it won’t have enough glucose, so the cortisol blocks the glucose from entering your cells (this is also why stress causes spikes in blood sugar) so it doesn’t get used. But our body still needs energy, so cortisol causes glycogenolysis (breakdown of glycogen stores) and gluconeogenesis (creation of glucose from sources other than carbs, e.g proteins and to a lesser extent fat) – this early stage of stress is called catabolism and is one of the reasons for the raging hunger people sometimes get but also the loss of weight. In some people stress causes loss of appetite.

Cortisol also suppresses the immune system which again in the short term is great but in the long term not so much.

Alongside this in the stress response you have aldosterone being released. Aldosterone is another hormone which has a couple of effects but primarily causes your kidneys to retain more sodium. Because sodium and water go together, retaining more sodium means you retain more water – the aim of this is to increase your blood pressure (brain perfusion, heart perfusion etc. = very good in stress!) but has a net effect of us not losing, or appearing to gain weight.

Over time the catabolism caused by cortisol starts to settle and your body starts to hang on to all calories of all forms to try and rebuild, this is called anabolism and is often associated with fat, this is why you might put on weight or find it very hard to lose weight in the later period of stress or in prolonged stress (stress also affects insulin resistance which as you know is a whole other problem). If you think of people who take steroids for whatever reason, long term side effects or effects of high doses are things like weight gain, moonface, fluid retention etc. This is because steroids like hydrocortisone and dexamethasone are essentially synthetic cortisol.

Anyway sorry if I’m telling you things you already know but yes stress can in some people cause weight gain or difficulty losing weight, as well as a whole host of other things. So summary points

Big stress – bad
    Long stress – bad
    No stress – bad
    Goldilocks stress – good

I have a very stressful job too and it’s not always easy to minimise the effects but the most important thing you can do is some kind of stress management, whatever works for you!

Lauren x

• posted by RubyG
    on

Lauren, thank you for that comprehensive answer!
    I have NEVER lost my appetite due to stress, in fact I can eat the contents of the kitchen if allowed to, and you have confirmed that even if eating well, I may even gain weight rather than losing.

• posted by florob85
    on

Stress is a tricksy beast Ruby, I’m like you – I want all the food when I’m stressed and it’s never enough, Craig is one of the weird ones who loses his appetite completely. Mind you not the only thing that’s weird about him!

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Wow Lauren, that was an amazing explanation. It actually made me realise something. The last time I actually successfully lost weight about 12 years ago (through not so healthy methods in hindsight) I was actually on leave from work for a year. It was the first time in a long time I wasn’t carrying the weight around my tummy. Similarly, my progress is pleasing at the moment, but I have also gone from full time work for the past 10 years, to working only three half-days a week. I do find my job very stressful (and tend to be anxious anyway), and can lose valuable sleep over it. So it’s interesting that both periods of weight loss correlate with less stress in my life, especially as at the moment it really isnt due to more time=more exercise (I am focusing more on food rather than exercise at the moment).
    And yes, I too, gain weight with stress. That might have something to do with the fact that I turn to chocolate and creamy sauces after a ‘bad day’ though. No more!!!!! 🙂

• posted by florob85
    on

It’s good to know my degree in biochemistry, masters in immunology and being an anatomy lecturer has its uses 😂😂 – not sure my students would always agree 😂😂

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Well we are certainly grateful recipients!

• posted by MagicBean
    on

Thanks – that’s a great and comprehensive explanation. We’ve been through an awful lot of very stressful events over the last several years and I recognise the poor immune system etc.
    Probably am insulin resistant as well as most of the excess is around my middle.
    Feel a bit like a cartoon python that has swallowed a large tire.
    Measurements this am showed that the excess has settled in middle – round navel, waist and chest measures up.
    I certainly Need to manage stress better – walking / mindfulness/ meditation I’m hoping will help with this. Also hoping to achieve better sleep patterns
    Thanks again xxx

on

Hi everyone, not much to report today. BG was 80 which is a perfect number for me (4.3 on the other scale) so I wont be reducing insulin tonight. When I mentioned to hubby I only had 20 units last night he reminded me that was what the doctor started me on when I first injected 14 or so years ago. Diabetes being a chronic and progressive illness (used to be) I slowly, slowly increased the dose until I was injecting 40 units nearly 6 years ago and still had BG of around 180/200 (100 higher than now). Then I discovered BSD. I was absolutely desperate and watching loads and loads of stupid YouTube videos usually someone who had discovered a native tribe in deepest Amazon or somewhere, who had never had diabetes. After about 50 mins they tell you to buy their secret berry extract that can only be found on one Pacific island….. They left me in tears as I knew they were a con and my hopes had been dashed yet again.
    Then I found BSD. Talk about a eureka moment although I didnt quite believe it until I tried it. So that is my story so far.

A bit like the TRE I am experimenting with now. Reduced insulin from 28 to 20 and lost 5lbs in just over 2 weeks not doing anything different to what I was doing when the 800 cal low carb was just keeping me stable, both weight and BG. I needed something to give it a kick start to further loss. Now I think I have found it. And it is so easy, I just stop eating at 8pm and dont have breakfast until 10am while still following the BSD.

Funny story. Last night I was having a rather sexy dream that I was in bed, naked with someone from the telly – no not Rege from Bridgerton. Anyway, I looked down at myself and my first thought was ‘I am so glad I have lost weight’. More thrilled about the weight loss than the ……

Just a quick word to Dahfi. I bet your daughter is absolutely adorable but I remember the left-overs. Here’s a trick I learnt from WW. Before your hand reaches out give the food a squirt of washing up liquid, or spray kitchen cleaner etc. Then straight in the bin. Means you also wont put it in the bin and want to sneak it out again. Yes, been there, done that.

Not bad for someone with not much to report but seriously, thats all folks.

• posted by florob85
    on

Sunshine girl you can’t leave us hanging like that! If not rege-Jean then who?!

on

Well florob he is not very well known and I didnt even know I fancied him though he has a cheeky charm. It was…… McKenzie from Emmerdale. Classy or what.

• posted by florob85
    on

Nice choice though!

Please log in or register to post a reply.