One week at a time beginning 25th May 2021

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Last week and in some cases the days prior to last week have been tough for several of us . The spirit of the thread has been as always, supportive, non judgmental and with a very moving sharing of experiences . You are all amazing !

We cannot under estimate the importance of good mental health whether that impacts directly on our eating habits or not . I suspect for the majority of us it does . Just remember you are not alone , however tough things get . Never be afraid to shout out . There is always someone who has experienced similar difficulties or to offer a friendly word and a virtual hug .

So we will be continuing in the same spirit of empathy and care . Join us if you have an experience to share, if you want a bit of guidance and support or just to let us know how you are getting on .

Sending massive hugs to you all for this coming week
    Wendy, SunnyB and sunshinegirl xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

If your name is on this list and you are having a wobbly moment because you haven’t checked in for a long time and fear the damage is too great to come back …
    IT ISN’T !!

There will always be welcome for you however hard you feel you have fallen .

wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer
    Sheila Canning
    JustKeepFasting
    Bryla
    kiltgirl
    Deb2003
    Donnadoobie
    HappiR
    WilLuck
    PaulaZ
    Faithlyn67
    Onetowatch
    nicnocgee
    Smead01 ( Samantha)
    Goforgoal
    Britta
    Mokovex
    DebOflo
    Riverrock
    HopefulinOz/Donna
    Quetzal
    Onnipinoy
    Magicbean
    Pashasmum
    avisamuelgrey
    scotsgirl57
    Annamarieboo
    peanutbutty
    erinmc82
    Kat2020
    xx1flump1xx
    Ncij678
    LizzieTOFI

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Wendy and all

I’m still here, plodding along. Trying to take things a day at a time so I don’t get overwhelmed, very appreciative of all the support on here though. Struggling with eating full meals at the moment, it’s strange that normally I’m a massive comfort eater when stressed but now I just feel too overwhelmed and tired to eat properly, it just feels like too much effort, so I’m just eating small morsels of things I like to try and stimulate my appetite a bit and just get through.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week

Lauren x

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Morning everyone,
    Wendy, thank you for getting the new thread up and running. And for your thoughtful and inspirational messages. It always starts my week off on a positive note 🙂 (It’s a strange coincidence that I started this WoE on a Tuesday, have a ‘weekly weigh in’ on a Tuesday morning, and in Australia, the new thread opens on a Tuesday morning!)

Lauren – have been thinking of you, and hope that you are getting all of the support that you need. It is a lot to carry, but keep looking after yourself, keep talking to people when you can, take the time away from work when you need, and make sure that you put yourself and your ‘recovery’ as the number 1 priority at the moment. That’s all that matters. Sending you lots of support xx (and if I knew how to add emoji’s of anything other than a smiley face or a sad face on here, I would add some pictures of flowers).

Sunshine-girl, Wendy, Lauren, Quetzal, RubyG – thank you for your messages after my last post. I didn’t even intend to write all that down when I came onto the forum that day, but it just poured out of me. It says a lot about the incredible group of supportive friends we all have here. It felt good to get it out and your messages meant a lot. Sunshine-girl – your final message of ‘That skinny old bird does not factor in your life’ is my new motto – had me laughing out loud 🙂

Quetzal – how is the reentry into the Fast800 going? I remember the first few days as being quite difficult with carb flu, so hope you got through it okay. I’m sure you probably already know this from your previous experiences, but some sea salt in your water helps a lot with it.

RubyG – how great that your houseguest thoroughly enjoyed all of your low-carb food. I would imagine he fel a whole lot better at the end of the stay for it!

Anyway, time for me to sign off. I hope you all have a great day. Donna x

• posted by RubyG
    on

Morning all, and happy new week 🙂
    As expected, we’re both a pound or so up on last week, but on track for the week ahead to shed it again.
    Our houseguest may have been eating low-carb, drinking beer doesn’t count 🙂 Hubby only had 1 beer Friday night, and he knows from past experience that will equate to a gain on the scales, whereas the occasional whisky is less damaging.
    Anyway, it’s still rubbish weather here in England, so tomato and vegetable soup made with bacon bones for lunch today, and a chicken stew of some description for supper tonight.
    It is asparagus season, though, and we have a producer just up the road from us, so asparagus is on the menu every day until the end of the season – this morning was poached eggs with asparagus soldiers, and garnished with wild garlic flowers (I went foraging last week).
    ODAAT!

• posted by florob85
    on

Ruby your meals always sound so wholesome and virtuous 😂 – mostly sound delicious too although I’ll draw the line at bacon bone soup – my Nan used to LOVE boiled gammon and my mum still cooks it from time to time, oh the smell can still bring back memories of flabby slabs of bacon with congealed grey fat, always with pease pudding and plain new potatoes. 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

I on the non-virtuous end of the scale managed a meal last night of a couple of tablespoons of cottage cheese, garnished with a small round of Edam (babybel) and a scatter of crushed legumes (almonds) and framboise parfait (yoghurt with raspberries). Which at least was on plan, if not virtuous. Or wholesome. Or in any way carefully crafted.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lauren, it sounds like virtuous eating doesn’t need to be a factor right now, more important that you are being kind to yourself … taking what sustenance you feel you want right now is good enough.
    Ruby, an extra pound is not really here or there and I’m sure you will both kick that into touch well before the end of the week.
    Hopeful, that’s a great new mantra … it made me laugh too when I read it.
    Wendy is right, it is important we maintain this thread as a safe and empathetic place to share issues wider than the following of a WOE … after all, it is evident that mental/emotional wellbeing directly influences our approach to eating, not only broadly or generally but from moment to moment.
    Nothing to report personally right now. Maintenance continues, motivation to ditch those last few pounds to get back to target still includes me. However, for now I am content to maintain and see no reasons to stress about not being exactly on target.
    Finally, if you are someone who has been hovering and uncertain about joining this thread, please, please just jump in. A warm welcome is guaranteed … we’re always happy to be a small part of someone else’s journey.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Thank you everyone for your kind words in last week’s thread 😍

Still feeling low, but I have to remember that it will pass…I couldn’t reply over the weekend because I ran out of words, don’t know how to explain it better than that.

Lauren, massive hugs, it sounds awful for you at the moment and you are reaaalllly going to need that week off to recover…I also hope you can start to get some restful sleep soon as sleep deprivation alone can make us feel dreadful 😚

Mmmmmm, now, I really need help with the WOE this week…it all went a bit tits up last week (partly because of feeling physically and emotionally exhausted, so yes, indeed, it seems I do comfort eat, might have forgotten how much when we talked about it the other week) and ended up weighing 5 lbs more again. Sigh. So my plan this week is minimal carbs and no naughty sugary treats allowed (square of 85% choc, red wine etc are allowed- within sensible amounts of course) and also my 2 low cal days. Yesterday had a successful low cal day and today is looser cals but WOE compatible- so I managed to not eat any of the very nice looking cookies in the staff kitchen today (not home made but nice ones from someone’s hol)- I have noticed a pattern though- I resist for a day or so and then break….sooooooo, I really need to persist. Also I am off to see family for part of next week and there will be more temptations there…I am not thinking about that yet tho (will give that some consideration towards the end of the week), but want to get a few consistent good days in before I go, so any words of encouragement and advice are very welcome.

The thing is, I’ve thought about this a few times in the last year doing this WOE…..I remember a number of times over the years saying to my GP, I need to lose weight, can you monitor me, I am trying bla bla and I already exercise etc….and many times she said, you are having a bad patch with fatigue/ depression/ whatever….we don’t have the facility to weight monitor….don’t be too hard on yourself etc….well, you know, that was kind, but actually what I now know is how much better I feel physically and mentally for eating better and losing my excess weight….and all those things about the gut biome etc…..soooo important….and it was only the pre-diabetes that prompted the nurse advice to try this WOE and they said I could go get weighed etc as needed….like, in retrospect…that kind of advice prior to illness and alongside my other conditions may have helped….maybe not, maybe it wasn’t the right time….so whilst I think, cut myself some slack whilst in a dip, actually I still need to be on plan because it will help me out of the dip too….
    anyhow, sorry for the rambleys…..just getting my thoughts out.

Love to all,
    Tulip xxxxx

• posted by Jordana
    on

Hello all, thank you for a new thread. Last week I managed to carefully watch my food intake despite a lot going on. This week I will do the same. I lost 3lb last Wednesday and plan to weigh again tomorrow as Wednesday is my weigh-day.

• posted by florob85
    on

Tulip sending massive hugs and encouragement, I had a bit of a breakthrough with my counsellor this morning, long road to go but I feel a bit more positive, we’ve all got you xx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Well done Lauren….that sounds like a positive step ❤

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, ready for a new week. Everything in the sunshine household is fine and our decorator has finally turned up now the ice saints have passed. She is doing a great job and the house will be sparkling on the outside (fascia boards). Hopefully the rain has finished for a while and the pool just might start to warm up.

Looking forward to a week of sharing and caring. Take care everyone.

Must just mention Dr M has a new programme starting on Thursday. Looks like another 21day challenge but I think it is new unless he has just retitled it. Channel 4 at around 9 or 10 pm UK time – I think.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Lauren, wonderful that you feel real progress is being made with your counsellor. Glad you are feeling more positive.

Jordan, well done on progress so far … please let us know how your weigh-in goes tomorrow.

Tulip, sounds like you’re determined to make this week count, but don’t demand too much of yourself whilst under stress. Perhaps just concentrate on keeping carbs low and not worry about special low cal days …. small steps. Well done on avoiding the cookies by the way … it’s little wins like that which make a difference. Recognising your patterns is also a win, as being aware of it will help you identify when you might be about to fall down the rabbit hole. Take it a day at a time and don’t beat yourself up if not every day goes as well as you would like …. you’ll be able to make a new start the next day if need be.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh I wish I had a magic solution to make you all feel better if you are struggling with low mood and fatigue . I just know that if I eat cr*p I feel cr*p so maybe Lauren and Clare, try to nourish yourselves as best you can with good proteins and healthy fats rather than any sugary foods which will ultimately make you feel physically worse . I don’t think this is the time to put undue pressure on yourselves, and agree with Sunny , do what you can but if you are not feeling on top of things right now, that’s ok . You can get back to a normal rythm when it feels right .

Lauren, so pleased that you feel you are getting the help you need from your counsellor .

Clare you sound like you need to feel in control as that helps . I get that . You have seen the benefits of this way of eating and understandably you don’t want to stray too far off track .You have a regular pattern and honestly there is nothing majorly off plan . You understand the draw of comfort foods, sugar etc but you have already established a very different way of eating which makes you feel better . That is not going to disappear and a few extra pounds can be dealt with , no worries . You need to enjoy time with family next week . OK there will be temptations but you have the power to make choices . How do the cookies make you feel after the initial buzz ? What are they doing to your gut bugs ? You can be in control Clare xx If you do lose a bit of control it doesn’t mean everything is lost .

So be gentle with yourselves ladies !

• posted by Quetzal
    on

Thank you for this new thread.
    Things are going well here – some headache – tired – but now I am logging all I eat and no plans for anymore food today (third meal around 18.00). Feels good to log what I eat – takes a little time, but it makes me focus more on healthy habits and avoid eating between meals. No food without logging. Will go for an evening walk and hopefully 20.000 steps today. I walk three times a day – most days – usually aiming at between 12-15000 steps – and that makes me feel so relaxed and healthy. So if you have the chance – try to get some walking done every day – makes wonders for your physical health.

-Quetzal

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Jordana, you have had a lot going on too ? Wishing you a peaceful week and all the very best to you xx

SG , glad you got your works started at last . The end of the week is looking brighter. Any plans for your daughter’s birthday coming up ?

I think the weather has a massive impact on our mood . Sunshine and bird song is definitely vital to my well being . That and quality chocolate 😉 The sun will return and you will be feeling warmth and fresh air soon xx I have been reading about the impact of exercise on our mental health and that just a brief 10 minute walk can make a difference and help to calm us and clear our heads. I have been missing aqua gym and a silly hour jumping about like a mad thing to some feel good music ! That will be back soon hopefully at the beginning of June . I have been downloading some good tunes . Lots of latino , Clare !!

You are doing great Ruby . My hubby has seriously cut back on the beer and it does make a difference . Love asparagus too . As welll as steaming it I like roasting it with a bit of olive oil .

Hi Quetzal ! Wishing you a great week too . Keep checking in . Talking of which, Britta hasn’t checked in yet . Hope all is well Britta xx

HopefulinOz/Donna what a lovely person you are ! So glad you are part of our thread and thank you for all your support . Are you in Melbourne too like Merry ?
    Missing EC/Erin in Tasmania too and would love to know how she is doing. She was dealing with health issues that have no doubt taken priority right now . We are thinking of you Erin xx

So if you are reading this and haven’t posted for a while we would love to hear from you … that message is for everyone on our list .

xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Quetzal ! That’s exactly what I read about the benefits of walking ! I understand about logging and forward planning . That is important to me too .

Clare …. a question for you as a physio . My GP suggested ‘shock wave’ treatment to disperse the calcium deposits causing my shoulder pain .. It sounds a bit aggressive . Do you have any experience of it working ???

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,thanks for including me on the weekly list Wendy,I’m not having much luck with my willpower at the minute but will keep trying.I haven’t been planning meals properly for a few weeks but got a new meal planner book so going to start using that from tomorrow.Also got a weekly fitness log pad and a Fitbit so going to try to start doing some exercise too,let’s hope it helps! Dawn X

• posted by Quetzal
    on

Dawn – I’ve been using Fitbit for some time and it is truly very motivating – walking is easy, takes no time to plan and so rewarding. But set a goal that is doable. Wish you loads of willpower!
    Quetzal

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks Quetzal,I definitely need something to chivvy me along so really hope the fitbit helps! Dawn X

• posted by Tulip1
    on

yes yes yes to the walking and dancing…’made’ myself go for my scheduled run today and felt better for it…then I was watching an African performer, Wiyaala, that got me going too on the dancing…so the family think I’m nuts as usual…but also pleased to have found a sports bra that fits so leaping about is comfortable again 😁….ooh and I am surgically attached to my fitbit 😍….think I have exercise endorphins and red wine relaxation rather than a mood shift but you never know, and I will take the brief ‘up’…

Thank you Wendy for your helpful advice….yeah the cookie high is very short lived and quite right, I feel cr*p not long after….so at risk of eating 6 to keep the buzz going….very bad plan!

Love to all xxx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

ooh Wendy, yes to the shock wave/ barbotage…I was reading about that just this week as being really what you want for calcific tendonitis 😚

• posted by florob85
    on

Wendy I visit an acupuncturist who shares a practice with a physio who uses shockwaves, I know nothing other than a) the physio is VERY LOUD – like can hear her in the waiting room loud, and b) when a client comes out who’s had shockwaves (you can hear that too) they look ultra zen!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks Clare and Lauren ! As long as the patients don’t come out looking as if they have been tortured I will give it a go ! Glad you are still running and dancing Clare !
    What about windyjulz ?

• posted by Tulip1
    on

also, thank you SunnyB for the encouragement x

• posted by Jordana
    on

Hello all, great to see you all encouraging each other. Today I only lost 2oz since last week, so basically nothing, but at least I haven’t gained anything, and I feel much much better, I always do when I eat like this.
    Keeping calm and carrying on!

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Evening everyone,

Lauren and Clare, I hope you are both having a nice day and relaxing as needed. As always, sending you both lots of positivity and support. Lauren, so great to hear that the counselling is having a positive impact. Tulip, I can totally imagine how frustrating that must be that you aren’t getting the medical support that you feel would best provide you with positive outcomes. The advice to just ‘do what you can’ and focus on your priorities at the moment is all valid, but if it isn’t really what you need/want at the moment, maybe you could find that somewhere else? Maybe on this forum? Or by joining a community that logs a weekly weigh-in if you really feel like that would be in your best interest? (Or maybe I have misunderstood your post, and it wasn’t the weight tracking that you would like)…either way, know we all are here to support you xx

Sunshine-girl, do you happen to know the name of the new MM documentary? I would love to try to access it online – we haven’t even had the other documentary aired in Australia yet as far as I know. How lucky you are heading towards the warmer weather – we are heading into winter, but I am definitely a sun-lover 🙂

Quetzal – great job on your progress!!! Don’t forget to add a bit of sea salt each day to your water or food – it will assist with the headaches. I absolutely love walking too – chicken soup for the soul!

Wendy – I totally agree about the impact the weather plays on our state of mind. I have always found that when I am low for any period of time, it is most likely to be in the depths of winter. It is, I’m sure, partly about the lack of Vitamin D, but largely also based on the fact that the daylight hours are so short outside of work that I get so little time outside and in nature in comparison to the other months. Being cooped up is never good for the soul. I’m actually based in South Australia, not Melbourne, but thankfully at the moment given that Melbourne is facing another Covid cluster and restrictions started there again today. They have had a hard time. Thank you for your lovely message, Wendy – it is a great opportunity for me to return the warm wishes to you – your inspiring messages and positivity always lift my spirits, and give me determination to continue despite the challenges. You take so much time to write personal responses to so many, and this forum would never be the same without you 🙂 Also, I have never had too much need for physio, but when I did my physi put me through about 6 weeks of ‘dry-needling’. I don’t know much about it other than it unlocked the locked up muscles. A strange experience for sure, but it was definitely effective.

Merry, I hope you are doing okay and this Covid cluster is short lived – hopefully they will get on top of the contract tracing really quickly. I have family in Victoria, and whilst I know everybody’s experience has been different, you have all had a really tough time of it. Sending lots of positivity your way.

Dawn and Jordana, hope all is going well with you both.

All good here. Progress is slow but steady at the moment. I have a wonderful day off work tomorrow, and kids will be at school,and OH having a rare day in the office (he has been working from home for over a year now, so having the house to myself for a day is very rare indeed). I am planning my own at-home-spa date – have bought some lovely bath products, face mask and creams and a new nail polish, so plan to relax right into it…..if I can manage to stop the dog from trying to jump in the bath with me!!!!

Have a great day / evening.
    Donna. x

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi Donna,
    Thank you 😍….I think what I wrote was a somewhat rambly brain-splurge! In fact, I didn’t feel I got much weight loss support prior to my pre-diabetes diagnosis, which seemed to change everything…I guess what I was saying is, prevention is better than cure, and encouraging people to lose weight before that point would be better….saying that, I love my GP, she’s been brilliant through my various illnesses.
    Hope you have a super chilled day in peace!! I totally get it….I used to get time at home alone and covid completely changed that (kids and hubby) 😂.

Love T xx

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Hi lovely people,
    When shopping yesterday, I came across Slendier Edamame Bean Pasta (this is not an advertisement – I haven’t even tried it). You can see it, and its nutritional info at https://www.amazon.com.au/Slendier-Organic-Edamame-Bean-Spaghetti/dp/B07YF4M3YG
    Very curious as to whether anybody ever tries anything like this? I have had konjac noodles once before, but found it interesting looking at the nutritional profile:
    Per 50g serving, carbs are 2.0g, but dietary fibre is 3.6g. Does this mean it has no net carbs? Is this really something I can eat, albeit occasionally, on this WoE? Would really love some thoughts from you all (speaking of which, JGwen, I miss your intelligent insight…..hope all is well with you? ).
    Thanks everyone x

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Well, day 3 of being ‘properly’ back on the WOE, tick ☺

Hope everyone’s ok

Tulip xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done Clare ! We are proud of you !

Hi Donna..never heard of the edamame product. Not something I have ever spotted in France. Yes,hopefully JGwen will pop in again soon .

Had a nice yoga session today which was just what I needed to clear my head. I am not very supple but improving slowly. My balance is definitely getting better. I have been known to fall over wearing trainers ! 🙄.
    Hope everyone is OK xxx

on

Hi Hopeful, just quickly before I go to bed. The progamme is called The 21 Day Body Turn Around. It is on channel 4 Thursday at around 9 pm depending where you live. 10pm here in France.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Goodmorning everyone – and Hopeful/Donna.
    Thank you for your kind thoughts Donna – yes just waiting on this morning’s press conference to announce a (hopefully) mini lockdown. Just as Melbourne was getting back to normal – 3 months without cases – and now we have this outbreak of the Indian variant. So good that they are being cautious. 12 new cases announced this morning (such small numbers compared to other countries) – but that means a lockdown is inevitable. I had my first jab last week 🙂 – and there has been vaccine hesitancy here. But this new outbreak has seen a lot of people lining up for the vaccine. I am due to go to a wonderful event this evening as part of the Rising Festival – a huge Arts program that only opened yesterday. I feel so sorry for all the performers and organisers.
    and YES – I have eaten the Slendier “pasta” – the Edamame one, and I have Soy “spaghetti” at the moment. It doesn’t really taste like pasta, but I use it in a dish where I want that pasta feel – like tuna spaghetti, or a carbonara. The labels in Australia are net carbs – so there are 2.0g carbs in the product – the fibre has already been deducted.
    Good going on your yoga class Wendy – just the think to relax the mind a little.
    🌼🌷🌼🌷

• posted by Britta
    on

Hi all, sorry, late checking in this week, its been a crazy week and a bit with work with very long and stressful days, not much sleep and questions of what food I was eating frankly the last thing on my mind! But after a big submission tomorrow I’ll be able to breathe again and put a bit more focus on diet – and check up on what’s been going on with everyone – hope all is well.

• posted by Quetzal
    on

Hi all.
    I did sth I think is a really bad idea and turned it into motivation! Bought incredibly expensive hiking pants, but two sizes too small! I promise myself that they Will fit after the summer and Will be Nice and loose in October when I plan to walk Camino Frances 790km. Did it five years ago. Fantastic walk in northern Spain. So good to feel motivated.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Ooh wow Quetzal…I am impressed ! You will get in those hiking pants I am sure👍. Brilliant motivation. Some years ago we walked the Picos de Europa in Northern Spain…my knees suffered on the downward bits I remember. 790km ! I think we did about 30 ! Go for it Quetzal !
    Hi Dawn..hope your planner is helping you. I find the anticipation of a tasty,lovingly prepared meal keeps me interested so I don’t hit the almond jar.
    Just keep going..steady progress and don’t be disillusioned..you are still with us.
    Sorry you have had a stressful week Britta and hope this one is calmer for you.
    Yes heard about the lockdown in Victoria, Merry. Australia does react quickly. Things keep changing here..visitors to France from the UK now need to isolate as is the case when going back. Keeping my fingers crossed for sunshine girl and her trip to see family. I am sort of resigned to staying here but that’s ok.
    I get my shock wave treatment this afternoon..yikes !Will let you know how I get on
    Have a good day /evening everyone xx

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Hello wonderful people.

Firstly, Sunshine-girl – thank you for the information you both provided regarding the name of the new MM documentary. It looks like it is mostly going to be exercise based – I will try to see it from here – might spur me on to become a bit more active 🙂

Merry – Thank you for the info about the net carbs on the Slendier pasta. I tried the soybean spaghetti last night. It was okay – definitely filling. The taste was ‘average’, but like you said, definitely not the same as real pasta. Glad I tried it though, and I’m sure that I will use the remaining pasta at some point. I hope you are doing well on the first day of the lockdown/circuit breaker….definitely hopeful for you all that their early action will get it under control really soon. Take care of yourself – I am sure it isn’t easy 4th time around x

Clare – great work on getting back into it!!! And my yoga-loving friend, I think I could give you some competition in the balance/lack of coordination race – I have been known to fall over on my backside when giving standup presentations at work in heels – not once, but twice. I blame it on laptop cords. Mighty embarassing.

Lauren – hope you are travelling as well as possible. xx

Wendy – Hope the shockwave treatment has gone well? It sounds intense!

All just going along as normal here. Slowly dropping weight (sometimes a bit more slowly than I would like), but a challenging few days coming up with a big brunch at a cafe on Sunday and my birthday early next week. I have planned a big hike with OH during the day on my birthday to try to make up for a planned extravagant dinner. It will follow all of the rules (no grains, starches etc) but will definitely not come in under 800 calories, but I am fine with that. OH is baking this DietDoctor chocolate no-bake cake for the family dinner – https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-no-bake-chocolate-cake at my request….. I just have to make sure that I only have one slice…..wish me lots and lots of willpower!!!!

Have a wonderful Friday.
    Donna x

• posted by RubyG
    on

Weigh-in for us today – we’ve lost some of the weekend gain but still a bit up on the previous week (less than 1lb though, so not catastrophic), and the theme of the week has been stressy long work days, so not showing a gain is a win! Suppers have been thrown together with no planning, portions bigger than they should have been but there have been no carbs other than leafy green veg and of course lots of asparagus 🙂
    I have recorded the MM program and will catch it at some point, but I watched a BBC1 thing last night “What are we feeding our kids?” or some similar title – it was about the rise in obesity and also the rise in consumption of ultra-processed foods. It looked at the concept of hyper-palatability, where sugar, fat, salt, texture are all combined in an optimal way and our brains want more. It was quite interesting.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Recent influx of spam has been reported.

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Thanks for the recommendation RubyG. I got to watch ‘What are we feeding our kids?’. My 9 year old daughter actually watched the 2nd part with me (glad she missed the stomach surgery part!). What an eye opener for both of us. It has certainly made me reasssess what the kids eat from their lunchboxes – we immediately grabbed out the only 2 ‘convenience foods’ I let them include in their lunchboxes – ones I pay a premium for because they are ‘sugar free’, designed by nutritionists with ‘real ingredients’, blah blah blah. The sodium contents alone were out of this world. Just one ‘natural’ protein/nut butter ball was almost 800mg of sodium (the Australian Government recommends a daily intake of 400-800mg per DAY for kids aged 9-13). Oh, and the ‘sugar free’, gluten free puffed rice bars I buy the kids? The 2nd ingredient in the puffed rice (the main ingredient) is sucrose, with maltodextrin appearing a bit further down the list….ummmm? Since I started this WoE I have completely cleaned up our family evening meals (not just my own but the kids also), so lunchboxes will take the next hit. I am sure that in the short-term there will be some whining from the kids, but health comes first, right?
    xx

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Wow Hopeful – cleaning up those lunchboxes sounds like a plan! I remember watching That Sugar Film (Aust doco available on SBS on demand) where he ate everyday low fat “healthy” food and what it did to him – and at the end went through a kids lunchbox – juice, muesli bar, sultanas etc and how many teaspoons of sugar (and other additives! ) they contained. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Sugar_Film
    Hello WAITAMINUTE if you are still out there. I made the Atkins bread mix yesterday – as we are in lockdown again so it gave me something to do. Just mixed it in a bowl – I don’t have a bread maker. I was pleased how it turned out – better than some of my homemade attempts – so thank you for putting me on to that. Through the night I was thinking of my Sunday brunch – a slice of this toast with smoked salmon, cream cheese and pickled onions and cucumber. Boy – how tastes change! To be wanting this delicious treat rather than a bowl of sugary cereal. All those savoury European breakfasts I have had while traveling in Europe now seem such the right thing.
    A shout out to some other locals – EC, SueBlue, AussieSue – and to Nursebean. I hope you are still lurking on the sidelines. And hello to JGwen – hope you are well and busy.
    🌼🌷🌼🌷

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’ve been super busy, so it has been difficult to find the time to check in. My internet was down yesterday as well after a series of thunderstorms throughout the day. Back on again today though, so all is well. I’m finishing up some fencing, and tomorrow I get to travel 1.5 hours away to pick up some supplies. We’re still on travel restrictions here, but luckily picking up farm supplies is deemed essential and none of the local shops have what I need. It will be quite exciting to go somewhere a bit different for a change.
    Wendy, I’ve just scanned the posts and see that you are having shockwave treatment. I’ve never had it, but my horse has had 3 rounds of it on his legs, and each cost a small fortune! The horses have to be sedated for it, but I think that is because it feels a bit pins and needley and the vet doesn’t want to get kicked in the head if they react to it. They rarely do kick though and seem very zen after as Lauren was saying about the people. My horse would have a nap for up to a full hour after even after the sedation had worn off.
    I haven’t been doing so well on the food front over the past few days. I haven’t been getting enough sleep, so that always throws me off, and then I overate nuts a couple of days as they were something quick and easy to grab to keep me going, but that seems to have set off the carb cravings, interestingly. Hoping to catch up on my sleep tonight and do better going forward.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    Good to see you articfox and you always find your way to get back on track while managing your busy work load . Hope the sleeping improves .

Well I had my first session of shock waves and didn’t kick anyone !! It was a very targeted set of intense pulses onto the painful areas where my tendons have been damaged . First bout less intense then building up to stronger pulses / shots ! Then 10 minutes with an ice pack for recovery . I can’t say it was pleasant but it was manageable . Apparently I will need about 10 sessions and should rest my arm in the meantime . Not so easy . I will continue yoga and pilates and aqua gym resumes on the 10th June so I have to be careful not to fling my arms about too much . I have been compiling a boppy play list for the classes as I was the only one who could cope with downloading music, and I’m no expert !!!!
    It was a very pleasant experience and kept me distracted for several hours .

My little farm shop has opened and I got some young broccoli , baby aubergines and spinach as well as splendid lettuces . I have taken to roasting broccoli florets rather than steaming them and I like the intense , crunchiness . Same with asparagus which we can still get here .

Wishing everyone in the UK a happy bank holiday break . Sending lots of love wherever you are in the world xx

on

Hi everyone, hope you are having a great weekend, especially those in the UK who are having a holiday weekend along with some really nice weather. It is hotting up here and we are having around 27, 28 degrees. Unfortunately my pool is still only 21 degrees so I am not ready to dive in just yet. Wendy, you just reminded me to charge up my waterproof MP3 player ready for the pool. I also have a waterproof aqua aerobics instruction book I can take in the pool with me so might do some exercise besides just swimming up and down. Glad your treatment wasnt too painful and it will probably get easier as it goes as you will be in less pain. Take care with the exercises.

on

Forgot to mention Wendy, you saying you went to the farm shop. Chris was saying peas have no taste anymore so we went to our local farmshop and bought some peas in pods (blooming expensive way to buy them) and he has the job of shelling. I cant do it or I would eat them all as I was doing it and then we wouldnt have any. We will see if they are better than our usual frozen.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi all
    Wendy, well done on getting thru the shockwave, hope it does the trick.
    Donna- happy upcoming birthday ☺
    Well, the comfort foods of my youth are causing me some issues whilst staying with my parents!
    On the plus side still getting plenty of exercise in- yesterday had a blast of the 80s doing Mr Motivator on you tube with my mum, then went for a 6k run with my SIL (my brother’s wife)- she’s been getting back into fitness and has lost the 1.5 stone she gained during lockdown by following MM too after feeling inspired by me (how nice is that? 😊😊).
    Well, tomorrow I will aim for my usual Monday low cal day even being at my parents, but I won’t beat myself up if something derails me.

Love to all,
    Tulip xxx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Lauren, how are you doing? I hope starting to get a little rest after finishing your work week x

• posted by florob85
    on

Hey Clare and all
    Well the week started out ok, I felt like I was starting to get on top of things, adrenaline surges were subsiding and being replaced by just crashing fatigue, then I had a day off on Wed for a long overdue spa day with my friend. Not going to lie, it was awesome, but I think the combination of letting my guard down and having a massage finished me off! Could not stop crying all day on Thursday, then somehow managed to get through Friday which looked something like this
    5am up, dressed, make up
    5.30 leave house
    7am arrive at work, set up lab, mark two essays
    9-3.30 teach a 1 hour skills lab six times
    3.30 check emails, realise essay results which were not fully marked, and not due to be released for two more weeks had accidentally been released. Hence half the class in a total panic because results not available
    5.25 get home
    5.30 teach online for 2 hours
    7.30 mark the outstanding essays!!!!
    9.30 – collapse in a heap and sob with a pint of ice cream.

I’ve negotiated this week off work as annual/sick leave because I am just broken and I need a break, fortunately the adrenaline surges are not returning which I think is a good sign, just going to sleep as much as I can this week and cry and chill and try and refocus, although I do have a very stressful outing with in laws on Tuesday which just has disaster written all over it! Only good point of that is the restaurant that’s been chosen frankly sounds vile so I won’t eat much!

L x

• posted by Tulip1
    on

aww Lauren, hoping you continue to get some good rest and recuperation!

Do you *have* to go on Tuesday or can you just say you are a bit wiped out after a busy work time and send Craig to socialise with his family?

xxx

• posted by florob85
    on

Unfortunately it’s MILs 60th, it sounds like a perfect storm – you couldn’t make this up.

So it’s MILs 60th, she has severe health anxiety, social anxiety, and is immunosuppressed due to being on steroids. Barely left the house in a year. Also generally quite stressed about turning 60.

SIL is quite high maintenance and lives in London and thinks London is THE BEST THING EVERRRRRRRR

SIL and MIL have not been in the same room for ten years and had a massive row when they were. They’ve been speaking for a year online.

FIL thinks SIL walks on water, FIL also has a bad leg and can’t walk far.

Craig also suffers from social anxiety and despises London. I’m very much a country bumpkin and also would be quite happy if I never went to London again. I have a bad ankle and a bad back (at the best of times without all this other crap) and can’t walk far.

So of course, with all those factors to consider, the obvious course of action is to go out for a long walk in one of London’s busiest tourist traps (South Bank) and then for dinner.

Nothing can go wrong can it?!

Please log in or register to post a reply.