ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning 1st October 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I assume that someone will be picking up and hosting a new October thread but for those who like shorter weekly targets, you are in the right place ! There has been mention of the changing nature of the forum, friends leaving etc. It’s a natural development but I am so thankful for the help and support I have received on here and I want to continue to do my bit to encourage and advise where I can.
    If you are intent on improving your health, taking back control with a life -changing way of eating, and need a bit of a push…feel free to shout out and we will help !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done on the new, smaller jacket, David ! That must have felt great ! Just slip it on when work stress strikes and it will make you feel serene !!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Butterlover, I would say this is definitely the right time for you to be addressing and taking charge of your health after some very serious issues. I am sorry for what you have been through .It’ s a shame your medical team are not supportive of BSD as you obviously need ongoing care but start making the necessary changes to your food choices ( you know what to do , it has worked in the past) and give it your best shot. What better motivation do you need than your health ? Keep posting if it helps you feel more accountable and all the very best to you .xx

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Just catching up and really sorry to read that beegirl and CG are thinking of leaving the forum. You are both well respected members on here, full of good advice with some humour added in. I for one would be really sorry to see either of you leave. Please stay.
    Butterlover I know that ideally we need the support of our medical team and it’s a shame you don’t seem to be getting it. But in the end it’s your body and your life so ultimately it’s your decision on how to handle things and what to eat. My dad was diagnosed diabetic a long time ago and followed nhs guidelines to the letter. He steadily got worse and is now on insulin. I strongly believe that if low carb advice was readily available way back then, he would definitely be in a different position now. He is always so strict with himself but followed the wrong advice.
    Great news with the jacket David. Hold onto that feeling next time you are tempted to go off track.
    I’m back on the wagon from today. Recording everything and actually managed to avoid the vending machine at work today. I feel that I’m finally in the right mindset again, at last.

• posted by Verano
    on

The real beauty of ‘One Week at a Time’ is that If there are any differences or disagreements then they really are just on that thread ….. one week at a time! So new week, new thread, new thoughts ….. all of last week is left behind ….. starting again …. afresh!
    So we now have a new weekly thread …. let’s be kind to each other and respect each other’s views.
    Have a great first week in October.

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

Can’t believe we’ve come to October already! It’s crazy. Had a couple of slip ups binge wise last week but I certainly didn’t eat the usual amount and distracted myself by the end. Had a Fast 800 day today and hoping to continue!
    Hope everyone has a good week ahead 🙂 SC x

• posted by wendleg
    on

Great to see you back and in the right mindset Scottishgal !! That really is key in my opinion. Mine is set in stone ….as poor hubby can testify when he dares bring crisps into the house 😉
    So does that mean you don’t need to be nagged … 😉
    I am only discarding a little weekly pound but every one is gratefully received and nothing will throw me ( apart from the 90% choc and nuts…which are too easy to over indulge in )
    Well done for resisting the vending machine. Can’t be much nutritious grub in there 😉
    Keep posting Scottishgal . I love it when you check in !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Strongcurves. You are doing really well dealing with the cursed binge incidents and you definitely sound much more in control and less stressed …you will get there . Yes..keep going and believe in yourself !

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Wendy, I will ALWAYS need some nagging lol…………

• posted by heiding
    on

Hi Wendy and everyone, I’d love to join this one week at a time! Amazing that it’s already October..
    I am planning on a good and healthy week. I had a fine weekend, bit more on Saturday but balanced it out on Sunday which felt very good. Scales slightly up this morning, but overall its going well – although I really doubt the scales sometimes!
    My goal for the week is to stay on track, no booze and continue with the 800 per day. I’ve also tried 16:8 and even 20:4 a couple of times and that feels like an achievement. Hoping for up to a .5kg or 1.1 loss – more would be a welcome bonus!
    An aside – I’ve been suffering daily headaches for months, so bad sometimes that I haven’t been able to go to work or get out of bed. I realised that I’ve woken up without one today and yesterday! Hoping this marks a turning point.
    All the best !

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Lovely thoughts @verano « new week, new thread, new thoughts ….. all of last week is left behind ….. starting again …. afresh! »
    It brings me back to my yoga retreat where we practiced a lot of similar mantras.
    The sun is shining here and the week promise to be glorious, hope everyone find peace and success in whatever way this might be 😊

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Wendy,
    I think you are right about the positives of both talking in more detail away from the forum with friends made on the forum, and continuing to chat on the forum debating with a wider range of points of view.

I do find that I still miss the atmosphere that there was on the forum before the nastyness a few months ago.

• posted by treelady
    on

Morning all,
    looking forward to getting through the next week with you all.
    Not a total disaster last week for my NSV goals, so I shall set up another couple of goals for this week.
    The main one is to cut out my usual breakfast of english muffin with marmalade, and replace that with chia seeds, natural yoghurt and berries, particularly as I have lots of frozen berries in the freezer from the garden and hedgerows this summer / autumn.
    I shall continue with upping my water intake, and hope by the end of the week to be only having one coffee and cream as a ‘pudding’ after dinner in the evening.
    I’ve been reading the intermittent fasting and 16:8 threads with interest, and will try and push breakfast later into mid morning.
    That should keep me out of mischief for this week : )

• posted by David Knight
    on

Fourth week of plan and achieved target of 4:3
    No refined carbs or alcohol for only 3 days
    TRE of at least 12 hours each night done 4 times
    Blood in the range 4.4 to 5.6
    two pounds off
    Average steps 16k
    One bad day – we all have those. One work evening out so drank some wine. It was a long service award. The 4 guys on my table had done 160 years between them. One started on site in 1968 and he is still working, if now part time. Quite humbling really.
    No firm plan this week just try to be good, we are off on holiday to Japan on Sunday and I will be a bit more relaxed when I am away

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all, Just popping in to wish everyone a good week. My focus this month is on the monthly thread – I am going to experiment by not weighing until the end of the month, so have no plans for weekly targets. But each week, day, and hour matters, so wishing us all well. And good to read some really good results from LouiseK, heiding, David and others. And Birdy, well done to you on stomping out the cigarettes. I know how hard it is to do. Congratulations to all.

Wendleg, thank you for setting up the thread and your continual encouragement. It is much appreciated. Like JGwen I feel that something (or someone, Allie?) is missing, but I shall stick with the quieter moments too!

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi everyone.thanks for the welcome.Im feeling ok today.this morning I was 87.9kg wich isgood progress.managed to eat on llan today.Im hoping to start walking tomorrow but needing to take things gently.wishing you all well

• posted by JGwen
    on

Have reported post by xvertfit to the moderators. Spammer.

• posted by wendleg
    on

I feel a need to post this …just to keep us all focused on what really matters.

Esnecca wrote this in April this year . Sadly she is not posting any more…

” Plumpgoose, so many of us have been there and know exactly what you’re talking about. My bloods were on the higher range of normal even when I weighed more than 320+ lbs at 5’2″. It was my insulin levels that were sky-high, and diabetes was only a matter of time, meanwhile the insulin itself made it impossible for me to lose weight because its job is to store fat. I never really dieted, just get putting on weight steadily for years as I followed the usual advice about low fat foods and whole grains. Like you, I could barely walk a block, my knees ached, I never got a decent’s night’s sleep, I was uncomfortable sitting, standing, walking, peeing, you name it.
    When I finally decided to stop living this way, the first thing I did was cut all carbs, whole grain or not. No bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, sugar. I lost about 20 pounds that way (judging solely on fit of clothes; I hadn’t weighed myself in years) then stalled. In August of 2016, I bought the Blood Sugar Diet and decided to give it a try. I knew within days that this was the solution I’d been looking for. I got on the BSD bus and kept going until I reached my goal. I weighed myself for the first time the last week in August and I weighed 297 lbs. I reached my goal of 130 lb a year later. In November 2017 I reached the secret ultra dream goal of 120 lb, my high school weight. I did the 800 calorie ultra-low carb diet the entire time. No breaks.
    As far as exercise goes, I started with the easiest stuff I could find, a 10-minute chair aerobics routine for seniors with mobility issues. (I was 44 at the time, but so obese that I might as well have been 80 and in a wheelchair.) I added a very brief walk around the block. It took me 20 minutes because I had to stop twice along the route to catch my breath. As I felt better, the walks got longer and I developed an hour-long resistance band routine to strengthen my muscles without causing injuries.
    So yeah, girl, this is it. I was a barely functional wreck and now I’m fit as a cricket. Here’s how I armed myself. Get a kitchen scale. Put it on the counter. Keep it there. Weigh ingredients and calculate their calorie and carb content using an app like MyFitnessPal or Fat Secret. Decide what your maximum level of daily carb grams should be. Mine is 20 grams, which is very low, but it is the best way to ensure my insulin levels never spike and better safe than sorry. Other people aim for 50 grams or lower as this seems to be a common sweet spot to put you in fat-burning mode. Pick the number of meals you’ll eat a day. I skip breakfast because I’ve never cared to eat when I first wake up, and it’s a lot nicer to have 800 cals to play with divided over two than three. Establish an evening cutoff time, the earlier the better. No later than 8PM would be my advice.
    Are you a home cook or do you usually buy prepared food? What kinds of foods are currently in your routine? Do you have any food allergies? Use what you’re accustomed to as a jumping off point and just cut the carbs out them.
    Welcome to the journey of a lifetime, Plumpgoose. The trophy at the end of it is health and happiness that will obliterate all those years of pain and self-loathing. The terrible things you think about yourself are not true. Your body is stuck in an insulin overproduction cycle that nobody ever told you about, is all. You are going to extricate yourself from it and look in wonder at the person you always were but never knew.
    I have actually printed out and keep in my purse a post from Esnecca about ‘treats’
    “Hiya Mel, old timers on this forum will know exactly what I’m about to say because it’s a bit of a refrain of mine, but I can’t help myself. All kinds of foods are pleasurable. Why should sweets, pasta or bread be given a privileged status over smoked salmon or a spinach salad with a tangy blue cheese dressing or deviled eggs with kimchi or a filet mignon with green beans almondine? There’s nothing inherent in cake that makes it “better” than anything else flavor-wise, and its main ingredients are the direct cause of a global pandemic of diabesity so it is very distinctly WORSE by any other possible metric.
    Embracing this way of life is so much more mental than anything else. I truly believe that thinking wistfully about certain foods as if they were this wonderful glittering gold treasure instead of a destructive force that puts your body under incalculable stress is one of the biggest obstacles to achieving your health and weight loss goals. You’ve been extremely successful already with time restricted eating. You attacked it head-on and look how quickly one meal a day has become easy for you. A few years ago I’m sure you would have blanched at the thought of not eating three squares plus snacks. Do not underestimate yourself. Do not flinch. Do not avoid. Get out your kitchen scales, weigh, measure and count. Find out what you’re really eating and discard the elements that are too high in carbs. You can do it.”

• posted by wendleg
    on

That was my inspiration.Hope everyone is having a good week xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Oh Wendy, how were you able to retrieve this magnificent Essie post!? She speaks our truth with her own passion, and is an
    advocate for how to succeed without using extended fasts to address failure to never break the carb addiction in the first
    place! Before she felt the need to leave out of frustration, she was very articulate about the use of extended fasts as a once
    a month thing at most. Of course there are a lot of short cuts, but the voices that always resonate with me are those who
    have years of maintenance to be proud of. Other voices are just noise 🙂 The discussion about fasting is ongoing here, as is
    the one about weight training as well. Neither of these things are necessary for weight control IF carbs are limited, and that
    represents a miracle for those of us who don’t enjoy the gym. Physical fitness takes work, but it isn’t sustainable for many,
    and too closely resembles the calories in, calories out theory anyway, unless it’s something that you truly love. JGwen
    is fully committed to maintaining muscle mass and bone density, and has very legitimate reasons for building on this.
    I receive all of her posts with gratitude, and learn much from them. Many of us have come to rely on her analysis, and
    she knows that I’m one of them! I’m i n the midst of a renovation and redecorating project that is time sensitive, but I should
    be back soon to rejoin my friends here.

Thank you as always, for taking responsibility for this thread. Hi Caron! Hi, Verano! Let’s continue to walk this road together…
    Julia, the comments that have come your way recently are most unfortunate, and I sincerely hope that your voice won’t
    be silenced because of them. You have a rare gift for absorbing knowledge, as well as self expression, and I’d feel the loss
    if you weren’t around. Welcome home to the Motherland! I’ll be in touch soon! 🙂

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello Allie!!! So lovely to hear from you.
    As a result of Wendy’s post I went back and looked at Esnecca’s ‘replies ‘ over the years …… lots of words of wisdom but my personal favourite is ….. ‘not one step back’ …. if only!
    Take care …… and keep posting!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Evening all – 6T and her sporran are back! I think we must have a record for “number of threads with the word October in the title”. As I mentioned a few days ago, July, August and September were not the crowning glories I had hoped for, in fact start of October sees me just a kg or so down from start of July. No wondering why….So still lugging round just shy of two pesky turkeys…I started in Jan 2019 and hope to meet the 0T target by Jan 2020 at least; that’s abt 7 kgs. I read the entire archive of Esnecca’s posts before signing on, and I miss her. No nonsense, but accompanied by so much sense – and fun too! The shortening days seem to have come round very quickly; I always feel a bit down at this time of year; but hopefully there will soon be a true sense of autumn, that lovely crispness. The last few days in London have just been very wet, grey and stormy. Salads are not so appealing now, so am thinking of other tasty meals. I must check Diet Doctor and Cafe Delites for some recipes. Tonight was lamb steak, roasted veg and a bit of soy bean spaghetti (Birdy – I know!…)
    I hope all “regulars” are well – and it is lovely to see new people joining.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Good to see you posting Allie and 6T ! I am wondering if the plethora of October threads is confusing people ? There is an older October starters thread which seems to be having a revival ? There is a Wendy on there too 😉 I know I had trouble navigating the forum when I first started out.
    I reposted Esnecca’s message because like 6T, I found her common sense advice a total inspiration , especially her conviction that achieving the right mind set is key. I suppose I just want people who might be reading the forum and hesitating to join because of seemingly unattainable goals to be inspired and encouraged by the health benefits which Esnecca so articulately describes.
    How are you doing Butterlover ? Check in too, Lucia . I hope you pop in now and again caronl. You are very dear to me to as you helped me when I first started out.
    David …wow, a trip to Japan ! Now that is special and we look forward to hearing about it !
    I hope your muffin -free Week is going well, treelady .( Read what Esnecca says about carbs 😉 ) I hope you are having a good Week too Strongcurves. Weight discard is not easy for everyone.There are a lot of emotional issues which affect our relationship with food and I admire those who are battling but never giving up. Lots of love to Kirsten, Amz and artic fox. Our ex Non Smoking Birdy will no doubt be popping in to let us know how she is doing . You are a star !! Elky…hope to hear from you soon too . Heiding..hope it’ going well for you and those headaches subside . They were a feature of perimenopause for me, not nice. I have no experience of HIIT but hope it gives you and Louise Kangaroo the results you seek. JGwen will no doubt be able to advise .
    Scottishgal, Don’t go quiet on me !!
    Stay motivated,whatever the weather… find something to look forward to and focus on and stay positive ( and keep reading Esnecca’s post !)

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi everyone – great to read 6Ts and Allies posts – hi Wendy, JGwen, Verano, David, Louise and everyone else who has jumped in to get October off to a good start. JGwen – please stay around – your posts are always so informative and I love hearing about the work you do on your farm. Those haybales sound big and heavy! Heidi – great going on the booze. I kept off it for the first 8 weeks of Fast 800. And I know that a glass of wine in the evening will have me snacking on food when I am not hungry!
    I have been slipping a bit the last couple of weeks with eating that I know is emotional. I have a dear friend who has entered palliative care and have been visiting her a bit. It is so sad – and chocolate seems to help. I know it doesn’t at all! but Cherry Ripe anyone! 😁😂
    Today is a sunny hot day – 27C – so I am inspired to be more optimistic and was back in keto this morning.
    Has anyone heard from Wooduckie? I haven’t seen her for a while. Hopefully she is in full flight in her garden.

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

Work has been very busy so glad the week is almost over!
    I had a moment on Tuesday morning where I was dreading the day ahead and by usual default would go get a breakfast roll for comfort. I had the roll and ketchup in hand from the counter but then I looked over at my fellow customers and noticed they didn’t look very positive in expression either. I looked at the items in my hands and some internal voice yelled “I DON’T WANT IT!” Double checked that I hadn’t actually shouted (haha!) and put everything back. Admitted to myself I only wanted a large drink of water and a coffee.
    It might sound silly but stopping to consider what you truly want rather than what is habit feels pretty significant. There is a bake sale on at work today and I am happy to put money in but I don’t really want any cake. Am a bit surprised but this all feels like self-honesty and realising how much I’ve been ignoring this part of myself.
    As a result, I’ve managed to keep the calories and carbs low the last couple of days. However, feeling like rubbish when the carb flu hits will probably come but just need to prepare with lots of healthy fats, salt and fluids.
    Hope everyone is having a good week!

• posted by caronl
    on

Congratulations StrongCurves on some really healthy decisions! Lovely to see you posting Ally. I’m glad it’s positive things like renovations that have been taking up your time. Thank you Wendy for reminding us of Essie’s wise words.
    I am happy to report a headache and horrible taste in my mouth – so I think I have started October well! Needless to say I have added a good pinch of salt to the mushroom and spinach omelette brunch… And I know it will pass.
    Keep on keeping on. xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

I’m going to print Essie’s post and place it on my fridge! I’m in on the daily and monthly October thread also.
    I’ve not been posting much recently, getting ready for my trip to the US in 2 weeks time. I’ve not flown long haul alone before (or in fact, long haul since I was 11 and returning from Oz with my family). I’m looking forward to the adventure! Someone at work teased me today and asked if I’d had my jabs?! Oh! Funny!
    Good to see you back, 6Turkeys, don’t worry, we’ll keep plodding and get there eventually! StrongCurves – I need to remember the WHY also, that JGwen mentioned and got us all thinking about. There are cookies on the fat station as I type. Thankfully I’ve never been a fan of cookies. Hi to everyone else and see you all later! Thankfully it’s dry today and the flash floods have subsided! Very stressful, driving through a lake when it should be a highway!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Good day, kids! My pom poms are waving in the air, StrongCurves!!! I feel that you’ve had a breakthrough moment at
    the breakfast counter this morning, and I’m delighted for you! You dropped the carbs in your hands…ketchup and bread.
    Soon it will become second nature to not even desire it anymore. Small victories lead to big changes, so thank you for
    sharing it with us 🙂 And give yourself a hug!

Merry, having a loved one on palliative care is just about as painful as it gets. As difficult as it is to see her in such a
    decline, you are validating her life and giving her the last great gift that you can…your love. Some people aren’t capable
    of this level of selflessness, so be gentle with yourself at this time, please. 🙂 End of life is a traumatic event, so bless
    you for having the strength to overcome your fears..You are a fine lady!

Congratulations on your headache and foul taste in your mouth, Caron! Seeing this as a positive put a broad smile on
    my face this morning 🙂 As Wendy recently reminded us by way of Essie’s post, mindset is everything! She may no longer
    be with us, but her words live on. She is a force of nature to be reckoned with, and I miss her too, 6T! Yes V, NOT ONE
    STEP BACKWARDS…

Autumn is definitely in the air in New England, which always has the effect of boosting my spirits and energy levels. I’m
    DONE with salad making until the Spring, too! I’m more than ready to flip the page on a hot humid summer, and return
    to V’s Soup thread. 6T, have you had an opportunity to try the Cauliflower and Roasted Red Pepper entry of Verano’s?
    It’s excellent! Freeze’s beautifully, too…the only change I made was the addition of some red pepper flakes. I like a
    bit of zip!

It’s time to make myself presentable for a skype playdate, but I’ll be back later to check in on you all 🙂 🙂 🙂

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

I now have a name for the the table with all the junk food in my office thanks to you! Love “Fat Station” 😂
    It does feel so Allie! Like a click in the mind.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh I am so pleased to read Strongcurves positive message. After the struggles you described to us when you first joined the forum you really have chosen to take control and that is a great milestone for you. Habits are difficult to break but you are certainly making inroads into cracking the carb addiction ! Fantastic !
    This is just a quick hi after a long day and evening aquagym session and it’s almost time for bed ! Thursday is a natural fasting day for me because of my late arrival.
    Hi Merry ! Good to see you !
    So sorry to read the sad news of your friend and sending you a big hug
    You are really selling Melbourne well with all those lovely low carb eateries ! It’s definitely on our list to visit but no definite date yet. My son believes I will love it too ! Stay positive despite the sadness… all that lovely Spring weather will hopefully lift you xx
    It’s not quite soup weather here and I love salads all year round ! I am getting a bit obsessed with fermented veg ( inspired yet again by Essie !)
    I will check in again tomorrow xx

• posted by heiding
    on

Thanks Merry! It seemed so silly to be on a diet but add about 2,000 per week(end) on vino. I’m very happy.
    I’m also so sorry about your friend entering palliative care, she is lucky to have a devoted friend to help her through such a sad and difficult time.
    Wendleg, thank you for reposting ECs great message. I’m still finding my way around the forums and am so inspired by messages like these.
    I’m going to Floriade at lunchtime today, its a big flower festival here in Canberra. I have to find something BSD friendly to eat there – not easy when the main offerings are things like burgers and chips and donuts and deep fried nonsense – not to mention ‘chip on a stick’. one potato spiraled on a skewer and they charge $7 – 9!! I’ll be looking for the green curry without rice 🙂
    Have a great day – TGIF!!

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thank you everyone for your kind words – they are a great comfort.
    How did you go at Floriad Heidi. I’d love to get there one day! Hope you could avoid the chip on a stick😆😜
    Great going Strongcurves ! Keep going Butterlover, you can do this.

Tonight it’s salmon for dinner with veg, and some yogurt and raspberries to follow. I *will not* have a Friday evening wine! I am out for dinner tomorrow night, so will have one then.
    M

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone. Im having a good day saw the gp and agreed on a plan to continue current meds he doesnt want me to change the statins or bp drugs for 6 months.I agreed also refered me for excercise and dietician.today blood glucose is 5.5 a big improvement.so we continue.good luck to you all.

• posted by David Knight
    on

My last post for a while as we are off to Japan on holiday this Sunday

My plan is to be as good as I can but still sampling the local cuisine and allowing myself to try anything once.

Lots of positivity on this thread – I hope you all keep on track as best you are able

• posted by wendleg
    on

Have a great holiday in Japan , David. Esnecca would suggest seeking out the various fermented veggies 😉 Yes, I would want to try those amazing foods too.
    Well …my working week ended with my first class of a series of 12 sessions of “adapted physical activity” for the over 60s 😉 It’s a free ‘preventative’ programme provided by my health insurance . I was the youngest there but I actually enjoyed the stretching and gentle abdominal exercises ! I am not the most supple 61 year old but I do try ! It definitely does help being a bit lighter . Flipping over on a floor mat would have been a struggle a year ago 😉 There were 9 of us in the group and I will commit to the programme which continues until the Christmas holidays, hopefully toning up a few flabby bits 😉

I have left my satchel in the study, switching off from school for the weekend and not feeling at all guilty !
    I hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend despite any dismal weather conditions. Make soup and keep smiling xx
    Hubby has bought some fresh sardines so I am still in summer mode for a bit longer xxx

• posted by heiding
    on

Hi MerryMelb – yes, Floriade is lovely, well worth a visit! They put on a bunch of other things during that time of year so its a really special time to visit Canberra. I did not have a Chip on a Stick! My companion actually suggested we get one before we left haha. I had a ‘sacred bowl’, a vegetarian dish with salad and really nice mushrooms and zucchini in a special spicey sauce. it also came with tzatziki and a bit of feta. Downfall is the six sweet potato wedge things! Which I ate of course. There was also a morning tea at work to celebrate the NRL Canberra team the Raiders getting into the grand final. I’m not a fan of that football, so I didn’t have any – plus it was all green – bread, iced buns, fairy bread, drinks – ew! I did however succumb to some green kitkat at the end of the day DARNIT. Oh well, it wasn’t much and it was the first time in over a month. I still only just went over my 800. Upfall (?) was that I did my first reformer pilates class after work, it was hard but I really enjoyed it! I will def do it again. I had a watermelon mocktail with friends afterwards (they had martinis etc) which was incredible! Then back to normal 🙂
    I hope you enjoy your fitness classes, wendleg! It feels so good to add that to our self-care-love routines. So fun that KazzUK is visiting Alliecat! I really enjoy your posts (I read the whole CanadaLiz alcohol thread – amazing). David Knight, I hope you have a fabulous time in Japan!
    StrongCurves – I have also dubbed the big table in the open plan kitchen at my work The Fat Station! It always always has chocolate or cake or chips or other treats, its terrible!
    Long weekend here – hooray!! I will focus on all the good things, and I wish you all a fabulous weekend!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi MM and many other longtime friends with whom we are walking the walk 🙂 A s for some reason I no longer received email notifications of postings . . . days slip by without checking in. A dear friend mentioned my name had been raised here and Ive come to respond. I may have been quiet but no-one has been forgotten . . . all have played roles on/during my journey – negatives, positives, inspirational, educational . . . supportive and fun . . . all elements we ALL need for the spice of life to all encompassing 🙂 The past couple of months have been challenging in SO MANY avenues . . . challenging is a great adjective! and when it arrives on many fronts . . . can be debilitating . . . no matter HOW much new energy one has on board. Brave facing it all can also be debilitating . . . whining and bleating . . .? doesnt change a thing!!! Accepting its just life – reminding one it isnt all plain sailing – pulls you up short – and can be a little like whiplash!!! Health wise, those closest to me are all OK . . . thats to be acknowledged with deepest gratitude. With MORE personal surgery on the cards . . , I was grateful when investigation concluded the hernias were too small – and I was too old – for them to require surgery! That was a massive high stress then relief. Personal relationships in their infancy have been uncertain and wobbling along . . . someone I did volunteer work with took their own life . . . a lady with whom Ive been friends for many years has sought y help with an overwhelming problem . . . THAT was a positive directional visit which helped level me . . . offspring struggling financially due to drought – (along with other factors) – gave me an opportunity to help with food and finances . . . (the best I could do as with Aussie economy – my limited income is becoming more and more difficult to stretch even for basics). My hobby card making creativity has abandoned me . . . maybe just as well because none have been sold in past months . . . seems economy has stalled that outlet! Was advised, one of my son’s same age neighbours has a brain tumour, and just months to live – will leave behind a wife and four little people under 10. Money cant buy life . . .
    A casual dining meal of (seemingly innocent) chicken wings blew me TOTALLY off BSD course – by MILES!!! Weight gain, stomach upsets, CRAVINGS . . . disgruntled mindset . . . MY WHOLE eating programme and discipline have been unsettled and distressing both with cravings, sleeping problems having returned, feeling nauseated, unsated, listless and disinterested . . . and a few weeks of the discipline of not answering “the calls” is (still) just dreadful. It is however recognised as a learning curve time – re-assessing EVERYTHING . . . getting my priorities in order . . . diluting/turning/discarding self indulgence/mindsets . . . and being grateful for having made the 75 milestone in the shape I find myself in! Uncovering the positives is in progress . . . MANY way worse off and in situations that cant be reversed or altered – than this Duckie 🙂 This is just a detour . . . and better times are ahead . . . Rant and disclosure done . . . Im hoping for notifications to be activated again . . . and when I come back from my self-imposed sabbatical . . . will be in there webbed feet and all 🙂 Gentle rain showering the thirsty ground today . . . bush and rock orchids have opened their blooms for a drink . . . Crepe Myrtle, climbing rose, Chinese elm and Japanese maple who have issued their Spring foliage hiding their nakedness are taking a shower . . . cyclamen, pansies and daisies are SO brilliant with their colours . . . Lavender is sending up its flower stems, and (headache of a vine which I am unable to deter !!!) – jasmine is overpowering with its perfume and ability to climb everything . . . a lot can be learned from it’s tenacity 🙂
    Much love to all . . . Quack Quack from Duckie.

• posted by Verano
    on

Duckie good to hear from you! Life seems to be quite complicated for you at the moment but as a ‘wise’ woman you know these challenging times pass. It’s good to see you finding the positives in you ‘blossoming’ Spring garden. New beginnings are the best things for renewing and refreshing zest for life. Take care of yourself.

• posted by zinny
    on

Hi everyone, I’m starting today. I’m hoping to lose 2 stone by Christmas. In between now and then I have 2 trips to see family who live away and one holiday. I m 67 nearly 68 5 ft 4 and weigh 12 stone 9lbs . I would love to be in the 10 stones range so I’m starting today. Just back from the holiday so not much in the house but shopping tonight!
    I happily walk our wonderful dog and he’s in for a shock as we will be walking faster and further for the foreseeable future.
    Here’s hoping and planning for a good week.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All.yesterday I gave in to temptation as my son is visiting I havent seen him for 2 years.the family decided to eat kfc.and chips.I made a salad and planned to strip the skin off a small puece of chicken.No such luck I ate two full pieces.End result upp0.5kg.lesson learned back on plan.started excercise today with a stroll around the block.and booked in to see the physio really determined to change my lifestyle.good luck to everyone

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Good to read your post Duckie. Thanks! You seem to be working on a very good balance in your life, with all the challenges that come along. And your spring garden sounds a delightful place of relaxation and contemplation.
    🌸MM

• posted by GettingStronger
    on

Hi folks, I’ve been eating this way for over a week now, after following an 800 calorie meal replacement diet for the previous 3 weeks. Things were going great but I think I have developed the “keto flu”. I felt horrible all weekend – lightheaded especially after standing up – so I thought I might have unbalanced electrolytes. I added some extra salt to my food and now I feel somewhat better. My question is, how much extra salt do I have to eat? This morning I added too much salt and my food wasn’t very nice.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone .
    Sorry I am a bit late checking in. I need to catch up with everyone on the thread. No movement on the scales this week but I had an encouraging moment when I took delivery of a pair of Marks and Spencer’s jeggings size 14. Ok so I know they have a bit of stretch in them but they fit .. I honestly can’t remember when I last wore that size so I will think ofJGwen and not be over concerned with the numbers. I am enjoying getting back into my gentle exercise routine too . Right …I am about to set up the new weekly thread xx

• posted by heiding
    on

Hello – my weight dropped through the week, but I went a bit nuts at a party on Saturday so I can’t report an overall loss. I’m trying to accept it as a learning experience, and I am very happy as I didn’t have any alcohol – and it was flowing something chronic! What I learned after adding up the calories (an horrific moment indeed!) I realised how easy it is to go very very high just by eating some junk. No wonder so many people are overweight, the food was all bad – but standard. Anyway, now I know! One good thing, I measured my waist earlier in the week and I’ve lost nearly two inches – although I might not measure again until the end of this week haha. Oh and I also tried reformer pilates for the first time on Friday – and now on Tuesday I am still feeling the effects! Definitely an amazing workout and I will go again.
    My sister and I face-timed briefly last weekend and she noticed my face was smaller and asked me if I’d lost weight and if so, how (ps yay to her noticing ! and yay to one of my close colleagues who also noticed!). So, much to my surprise (and after the usual concerns regarding too low calorie etc) she has bought the book and started yesterday! It will be nice to share the experience with her. We live 5,000kms apart (one end of Australia to the other) so we don’t see each other often. Next time will be in December, and I am hoping we will both be much healthier and slimmer too!

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Hey @heiding I’m sure we all experienced that kind of week-end dammages one way or the other. It’s a good learning experience for sure.
    Well done on losing 2 inches from your waist, it’s the most important place of all that needs to get smaller. 2 inches is impressive!! I’m sure your crazy wkd party didn’t damage your progress too much.
    I’m glad you found the pilates reformer useful and that you are still feeling its effect. If it wasn’t for the cost I would be at a reformer class every other day 🙂
    It’s so good that your sister is joining you on this WOE train, nothing like support, especially from family. My husband and kids are coming home tomorrow after 3 weeks overseas and I can’t wait to see them. He is very keen to get back to his now normal eating routine and will do the 800 cal/20 carbs daily as soon as he lands. I think he felt his pants getting tighter and may be keen to not be left behind by his now hot and slimmed wife hahaha

• posted by heiding
    on

Hi @louisekangooroo – thank you for your understanding words! I’m trying to be tough about it, but the scales went up by two kilos! Now its one after three strict days, so I’m heading in the right direction! Def taught me a lesson. Still really happy I haven’t touched alcohol for six weeks!
    I will def go to reformer pilates again, it was such a good workout! Hoping I’ll be able to walk sooner next time haha. I managed to go to the gym yesterday (public holiday on Monday) and will go at least twice more and maybe reformer as well. How much is it there? I have two free friend passes, and they have a 5 classes for $50 introductory thing. Then I think the best is $14 per class, but you have to buy 20 and use them all in 30 days! I will probs have to wait until after my holidays in November (Istanbul – excited!).
    My sis had a great first day and reckons its really easy. She has made some impressive food – lots of meat though and I don’t eat much meat. I never prepare it – sometimes fish but that’s it. I need to find more variety.
    How nice your family are coming back! Where were they holidaying? So nice to have a few weeks to yourself as well (I’m sure you missed them a lot, but still!). Fab that your husband is into the WoE too – perfect. I love the hot wife thing, he’s a lucky so and so. Your kids will be the luckiest ones, having started at a young age (to eat very healthily I mean, not necessarily as strictly as us!). I always thought I was feeding my kids very well, but now I realise we had far too many carbs. Oh well, they were vegans for ages and you can see the benefits now. They love cooking and are very healthy (apart from general other bad behaviour 🙂 )
    Have a wonderful day!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.