ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 16TH NOVEMBER 2021 HALFWAY REBOOT !!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes we are halfway through November !!! If you are focusing on this month,keep going ! If like me and many others you have your eye on the end of year target, well you still have time to make a difference .

If you are still upbeat and motivated , well done , keep going !

If you are flagging , don’t give up ! Come and join us for much needed support and motivation

Are you up for another week ?

Looking forward to hearing how you are getting on

Wendleg, SunnyB and sunshinegirl

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here we are !

Wendleg /Wendy
    SunnyB
    Sunshine girl/Denise
    Florab85 /Lauren
    Onestep
    Elle-mae
    Orange Panda Momma/Amz
    RubyG and hubby
    Windyjulz
    Antigone
    Tulip/Clare
    Arcticfox
    JGwen
    California girl/Julia
    Caronl
    Merry melba
    AlysJ
    Stresseatingpro
    CurryTruck
    Iggyboo
    LindaandHubby
    Annie W
    Handles
    Rockandrolltofu
    shammy
    GAD
    Julinka
    Magicbean
    BernieR
    Sixturkeys
    Neicolec
    Handles
    HopefulGal76

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Oh crikey. I tried to get back on the wagon a fortnight ago, but have really struggled. But with only 4 weeks to go to a Christmas party, I really want to try and lose those 7 pounds (well 9 after this morning’s weigh in) by then. So I’ve got yogurt in the fridge for breakfast and chicken ready for tomorrow’s dinner. I did make it to body pump and spinning, so am feeling better on the exercise front. Come on guys we can do this!!!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Morning all, RubyG and hubby still here, thank you for the new weekly thread.
    Weigh-in this morning was not catastrophic, I am actually lighter than 2 weeks ago by 1.4lb, I was worried I had crept back up to the 12st mark – I don’t want to see that number again.
    I am so aware that I haven’t done any exercise recently, sitting hunched over a laptop for 10 hours a day is not doing me any good. The clocks changing are messing with my head too, I think – it is suddenly so dark so early (I think I probably say this every year).
    Anyway, yesterday was not a bad day food-wise, leftover roast chicken carcass made a soup for lunch, and leftover roast chicken meat warmed in the leftover pan juices with some kale and brussel sprouts – was very yummy. Key achievements for yesterday – no snacks, no cheese, no nuts (except my allowed single Brazil nut with my evening milk kefir).
    Here’s planning (hope is not a plan of action) for a good week – we are away at friends for the weekend and they have been practicing making cauli rice to accommodate the low carb way of eating 🙂
    Have a good week everyone!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

S-G thanks for the heads up on this Spanish chickpea and spinach soup. I have the recipe, sorry didn’t reply last night as I was already in bed. I will definitely give it a try. I had previously made and have portions frozen of carrot and coriander, and cauliflower and butter bean soups, so once they are gone will give this one a go. I was hungry yesterday doing the 800 cal days on Monday and Thursday, but I kept telling myself as Michael says in the book, I can have it tomorrow and stayed (mostly) strong just had 2 TSP of Greek yogurt.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all, how have we reached another week. Glad some of you are still around, RubyG, Elle-Mae and RussianRoulade. I’m sure others will be dropping in anytime soon.

Elle-Mae, yes it was late, it was just as I was closing down for the night (I come into my little room while hubby watches the late news). What I was also going to say is if you do the recipe in the book it is really quite a hearty soup and does as a main meal but what I do is double it (I see you do batches) and divide it into 6 and have them for my lunches. In summer I do the same but after heating to defrost I top up with a bit of cold water. Cool soup is common in France in the hot weather – oh how I wish it was now.

RubyG you are bound to get your mojo back, especially as hubby is doing so well and can help motivate you.

Come on RussianRoulade, get your head into the right space and you will be back on track for that 7lbs . I have about the same to lose before we go away in 4 weeks. The exercise is only the start and your diet choices will help boost all that effort.

Watching a Dr Becky video earlier and she said there are 2 ways to approach a diet and you have to ask yourself a question. Are you interested in losing weight (or whatever it is you are doing, lowering BP/blood glucose etc) or are you committed. If you are interested you will make a start but in order to continue and succeed you have to be committed. That means being able to say no to that restaurant roll (my downfall) or that weekend drink (again, my downfall) and not giving in at the first hurdle. Always remember though, if you do give in it is not the end of the diet, it is just a lapse and you can get straight back on it.

Have a good week everyone – including those who are not yet posting but will be soon.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks as always for the encouragement SG.
    While my friends are being virtuous and offering cauli rice, the gig we were supposed to be going to on Saturday night has been cancelled, so it may end up as an evening in front of the fire, and alcohol will be consumed (setting those expectations right now), but it’s one night, and come Sunday night we’ll be home again and back on the wagon.
    I must admit I always have a better week when I have soup available for my lunch, winter or summer.
    I know I asked the question over a year ago now at the very start of our BSD journey, re. pulses, and to be honest I have not bothered to re-introduce them in our diet. I may re-visit this again in the new year.

• posted by Bernie R
    on

Well done Ruby G
    Sounds like you have been making some healthy choices
    Your friends sound like great friends hope you have a fantastic time away ay the weekend.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi All, just a quick check-in from me as I saw Wendy’s post mentioning me and wondering if things are ok with me.
    We are in the midst of another climate disaster at the moment unfortunately. My area is not directly in harms way, thankfully, although all 3 of our supply routes from the nearest port have been cut off. Worse though is that the town where I used to live and work before last year is completely underwater. It is the most productive agricultural area in the whole country and it seems that it may be catastrophically affected as parts of it are under more than 3 metres of water right now. I went shopping at our little local shop for groceries tonight, even though I just did a big shop on Friday, just to stock up on some more essentials before they run short. Luckily still lots of food on the shelves here. People in some of the larger centres have started panic buying again. But people in the rural areas around me are probably a bit more resilient as they all have gardens and many have their own livestock. I still have pears and apples off my trees, a big bag of locally grown onions, carrots in my garden, spinach and lettuce in my polytunnel, lots of green beans in my freezer, etc. etc. So I’m ok for now. We’ll have a much better idea what we can expect in the weeks and months ahead as we move from reactive mode and into recovery.
    So anyway, all this is happening just when I was starting to feel better after the last disaster and feeling like I could concentrate on my health again. But the positive thing is that at least with the foods I have on hand, I will hopefully be eating fairly healthily for the forseeable future.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all,

Arcticfox, so sorry to hear things are up the creek (literally) again. I saw it on the news and thought of you. Keep safe.

Was a bit down this morning as my weight hasnt changed since Sunday. I do know that if I had had a bottle of wine and a few vodkas over the weekend it would have moved – upwards. Anyway, did my exercises then got on the wifit to do my weight, BMI etc and it said I have lost 0.7kgs since my last weigh in a week ago. So still going in the right direction. Also, just 1.6 points from the obese range on the BMI. My short goal was 1kg in 2 weeks and I am nearly there after one week. So I am motivated to keep on keeping on.

Bernie R, how are your blood sugars doing. Do you test yourself or are you waiting for your next HbA1c. Keep us up to date.

Have a good week, whats left of it.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone

So sorry to hear you are facing more upheaval there , articfox . You are extremely resilient but coping with another crisis is unsettling .You sound in control and let’s hope you continue to cope .Thank goodness for all those home grown veggies .Take care and check in when you can .

You CAN do it Russianroulade so just focus on your short term target.Well done on keeping up the exercise.

RubyG I think you need to enjoy your weekend and limit the damage as much as possible without stressing .As you say you can get straight back on track on your return. Celebratory events wiht friends have been much missed . About pulses … I still don’t bother with them as I can honestly say I don’t miss them and just prefer lots of different , mostly green veg . You could always experiment by reintroducing them gently and see how you feel . I reckon I would be a bit bloated after so long ?

Hope you are having a good week Elle Mae .How is it going Bernie ?

SG, don’t be down .You are one of the most COMMITTED members of this thread so don’t worry .You know exactly what to do , how to react and your motivation is an inspiration.I have no doubt you will reach your target in time for your trip to the UK, if not before !

I’m still focused on getting to the end of the year and doing my best to resist snacking on nuts .I have stopped my Greek yoghurt consumption ( I’ve gone off it) but still enjoy my crème fleurette in my coffee . I would say it’s the closest we can get to single cream here .It has to be pasteurized for me .I can’t handle the taste of sterilized milk so have limited stockists .

As SG says we are looking forward to seeing more people checking in . Amz ??? WindyJulz ?? Merry Melba ?? SixT ??

I hope Lauren and Clare are coping with workloads etc this week .

Anyone else hesitating to post, just do it . You will always get a warm welcome

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hello all!
    Sorry to be so silent — I really have been struggling with the depressing aspects of Covid/masks/restrictions/no smiling faces at the grocery store/a sense that we’ve lost our way in this thing…mandating vaccinations for children despite JCVI recommending against it— honestly I am in despair.
    What are we doing?
    Read Dante’s opening lines to the Inferno and you will see where I am.
    But I’m still following BSD principles — and they still work. If you are struggling, go back to the health benefits here, the benefits to your brain. Watch Dr. Ben Bikman, Dr. Perlmutter, Dr Jason Fung.
    Don’t let these bad (carbs, sugar) foods take your life!!
    Claim your life. Don’t let Covid have it! Obesity is a huge problem with Covid — it makes a person vulnerable. Just don’t give in. Hold the line.
    Get tough. Get strong.
    Sorry, it’s really all I can contribute.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Good to see you Julia! Your message will resonate with many of us. What a mess . I’m still pretty unsettled about it all although I think we are a bit less complacent about Covid here in France.
    I am still reluctant to travel and I am aware I am in hibernation mode ..have to watch that.

Yes,for sure we must stay healthy and refocus on that when we waver.

Sticking to low carb is a,way of life for me too. It’s the only thing that has worked for me so not gonna change that !
    Keep checking in Julia. We value and greatly appreciate your sound advice and good sense xx

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi all,
    Almost Friday here. A lifting of restrictions starts tomorrow so masks can come off at work. That will be a bit of relief as I find 5 hours or so with the mask (my usual shift) is wearing when my glasses keep fogging up 🤪🤪. But I’ve had it easy compared to all the wonderful health workers who have to wear full PPE. They are outstanding.
    I’ve been a little off track this week with some wine sneaking in. But delicious prawn and veggie stir fry tonight with konjac noodles.
    Tomorrow I’m meeting friends to go and see a display of crafted dolls houses. Should be fun! And I’ve been enjoy getting back to the gym, although starting out slowly as I have to rebuild any fitness I once had. 🏋️‍♀️

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    Checking in again after a long week that is not over yet. I am working on emergency flood response, so I get to work all through the weekend. We are making some progress, but unfortunately more bad weather is on the way for next week.
    MerryMelba – your stirfry sounds great. I have konjac noodles in but no prawns unfortunately. I have mussels and some cod fillets in the freezer. Not likely to get much by going shopping at the moment as all the silly panic buyers have stripped shelves bare. Our little local shop was featured in a news story about why people shouldn’t panic buy – the manager was saying, ‘see look at our full shelves – we’re ok’ – and that prompted a whole lot of people from out of town to come in and shop here. It’s like at the beginning of Covid, but far worse. I’m expecting that the government may have to bring in food rationing this time to stop it. They just brought in gasoline rationing today for the first time since WW2.
    So the long and the short of it is that I’m living out of my store cupboard and freezer at the moment. Trying to not waste anything. I made a lentil and vegetable curry last night with panner that had a sell by date of Aug 16th! I just hadn’t got around to using it, but as the packet was unopened, it was still perfectly fine. And I’ve eaten it for lunch and dinner again today, and still have some left for lunch tomorrow. Finally taking your advice about batch cooking, Wendy!

• posted by wendleg
    on

We seem to have run out of steam this week ? Are you all ok ?

I hope we can continue to support each other for a push until the end of November and then seeing out 2021 .
    So it’s time for a new weekly thread .

Please log in or register to post a reply.