ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning 13th August 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi everyone – Wendy has her hands full with her OH and visitors, so I volunteered to set the thread up, although I have no doubt she will be popping in. So don’t make me look bad, people! I don’t want the week to end with a bunch of posts of me talking to myself and creating a profile for Albert, teaching the cat to type responses back 🐱 ⌨️
    As all the regulars know, this is a great place to ask questions, report progress, lament lack of loss (and have kind people, help and make you feel better about it) and generally just have a place to share what’s going on in your life. If there are any newbies wondering whether to jump in, I hope you will as this is a nice thread to start with 😊 (my welcome face). We have lots of experienced people who have a wealth of information that they are very generous with sharing and have been a great asset to me. Especially when I’m dealing with unicorn 🦄 science 😆😆.
    Hope we all have a great week xxx

• posted by Elky
    on

Thanks for setting the thread up this week, Kafin – you know I think of this as my “home” thread 😊

Not a lot to report from me, folks, I’m still plugging away being very careful about my macros. Just now I am sticking slavishly to under 800 calories and 20g carbs, with the odd water fast thrown in, and I am cautiously optimistic that this might result in a little discard for me. But it’s too early to tell yet, I shall just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Hope everyone has a grand week, Elky

• posted by EC
    on

Hi all
    I’m back in and likewise, thanks Kafin
    I’ve been under the pump with work deadlines and it’s not about to stop but foodwise going fine-except for Monday night when I had a meeting over dinner time. We all usually all bring a plate to share, so I made a batch of mini-frittatas to keep me on plan….and left them behind!!!-I did get by with a tiny egg and salad sandwich and a slice of cheese!
    So then though I’d have lots of ready snacks for the next few days, but son no4 dropped in and he and OH almost demolished them…I got 1 1/2 in total!!
    Elky I totally hear you (from last thread about the cold showers!! )and I know how cold Canberra can be…I often camp at the National Folk Festival and remember one year it was minus 7 overnight!!!
    about to head out to walk the dog, so will try to keep a brisk pace!!-still trying to re-establish a yoga routine …….

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

That’s very annoying about your frittatas EC! It is a dreary day in London, wet and quite chilly, and I read on BBC news website today that there is a national cauliflower/brassica shortage…I had noticed that the ones I bought seemed smaller, but apparently swathes of UK crops were washed away by heavy rains in early summer and the Dutch alternative crops suffered in the very hot weather. Same issue for Brussel sprouts and other brassicas…..Do you think I could freeze fried cabbage (one of my current favourites, using pointed cabbage)? I add lardons and a bit of cream. Or roast cauliflower? It’s so much nicer cooked with fresh cauliflower. It’s bad enough thinking of stockpiling olive oil because of the B word…..Having prodded and peered, the sporran seems to me to be “breaking up” a bit, deflating a tad around the inside of the hip bones….Further updates to follow, because I know how interested you all are in the state of my flab…..

• posted by BikeyGuy
    on

Good morning all – old hands and newbies. I wonder where the cross-over point is, past a certain date, past a weight target, or once you you think you’ve got a grasp on fast800?
    “lament lack of loss” That’s me this time round – after ten weeks of downward progress I’m up by 0.2lb in week 11, and 11 has now been declared my unlucky number 😉
    But stand by for my usual twist on things. I weigh daily, but collate it weekly, so by my weigh-in on Sunday I’d put on 2.4lbs and taken off 2.2lbs over the week with my total spikes amounting to 12lbs since day one – so on paper I’m below my eventual target, I’m just waiting for my body to catch up!
    Ta Ta – see you next week 🙂

• posted by Kafin13
    on

EC, there’s nothing worse than doing your best to plan and getting foiled! I’m with you on the yoga, not possible right now while I’m working all hours with no idea when we’ll finish but I have Monday and Tuesday off so I’m going to bow to make one of those days next week.
    6T – I’m interested in the flab!! You’re much further along so I always want to know what I have to look forward to 😊
    BikeyGuy, nice to hear from you. I’m forever waiting for my body to catch up. And my mind…

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone, I’m joining in this week with a short term goal of trying to shed 1.6kg this week. Thanks for setting up the thread Kafin! The 0.6kg is what I put on whilst away last week, and then it would be nice to discard another kg so that I will still be on track for my goal for the month.
    Bikeyguy – I’m sure week 12 will be luckier and that your body is just having a little rest before discarding more.
    EC – sounds like you coped really well under the circumstances.
    6T – do you have a garden? If so you may still be able to get some starter brassicas like cauliflower at some garden centres and plant your own. Cauliflower has always been a bit of a fussy crop for me, but I’ve had some nice broccoli. They tend to grow better in the cooler weather anyway. Kale is another good one to plant now. As my place hasn’t sold yet and I haven’t had any showings for a couple of weeks now, I think I’ll have to look into some winter veggies to plant as well.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thank you so much Kafin for setting up the new week. You are a star .I do hope Albert puts in an appearance though ! It’s true..it’s a bit full on at the moment..keeping everything going…the house and hospital checks for hubby who is still on morphine pain relief. He is improving slowly but it will take at least 6 weeks for the fractures to mend. Fortunately my sister has been helping with the veggie patch so the pressure is off me there ..phew . We have also had visitors who turn up in their caravan and are no trouble . They will muck in and help. I am managing to prepare simple BSD friendly salads…tomatoes..Mediterranean veg …sitting outside in the garden is nice. My son is also rushing around trying to catch up with everyone.
    I feel guilty not being available to support everyone as I would like to . I hope lots of newbies find their way to us. I.know Kafin will do a good job of taking care of you all xx I hope you are all having a good summer wherever you are xx I will pop in as often as I can xx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Good morning all from the South of France 🇫🇷

We arrived safely and the skies are blue and sunny❤️ It is a little windy but it is supposed to settle down over the next day or two. Hoping to go to the beach 🏖 today and start working on becoming a brown goddess 😂😂. We shall see! I am feeling bloated but I know it is the travelling (2days in the car) and the booze. It is very hard not to enjoy a couple of glasses of wine here, as they are so good and so many!😜. I will try to keep up with the forum but I am sure you all know what it can be like when you are out of your usual routine. I will be here though cheering you all on.

Wendy thank you for setting up our home thread again and I hope you are enjoying your visitors and that your OH’s recovery is going well.

Love to you all🥰🥰 Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by wendleg
    on

I have reported the above post

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, Wendy! These self appointed “experts” are becoming tedious, and have no credentials or experience
    to share….Far too many spammers, drones and self promoters lately…It must keep the moderators busy 🙂

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Well, I almost don’t believe it, but I’ve discarded a staggering 0.8kg since yesterday, which means I’m halfway to goal for this week after just one day. This is in spite of messing up my calculations on the riceless sushi I had for dinner and ending up at closer to 1000 calories for the day instead of 800. I’m sure the rest will come off much more slowly, but I’m very happy to be 200g down from where I was before I went away. Now I just have to be sure I don’t get over-confident and slack off! I’m off to get my hair cut for the first time in 8.5 months. The last time I went, putting my head back in the sink caused a major relapse with my vertigo that lasted more than 6 weeks. It has taken me this long to work up the courage to go back, so fingers crossed that it will go better this time. If I lose anything today, it may mostly be down to hair discard, rather than fat discard!
    I hope everyone is doing ok. Wendy, glad your husband is improving and that you have some helpers in your very full house.
    Birdy, glad you are having a good holiday so far and hope the good weather continues for you.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Well done, Arcticfox and I hope the hair salon experience is better this time!
    No guilt, Wendy! Pop in when you can and focus on your family. There are so many of us, no one will be left hanging 😊💕

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Evening all

Wend – glad your husband is doing okay; the six weeks healing will pass soon and he’ll be fit as a fiddle I’m sure.

I’m a bit late checking in this week – mad busy week and don’t know where the time goes!

WI Number 14 on Tuesday this week took me down another 2.2lb, which is 47.8lb overall. So that’s two weeks on my protocol of 3 x 42(ish) fasts per week and eating low car/keto without counting calories, with the same weight loss both weeks. Let’s see what next week brings as that’ll be may last WI before I go away for a week; would be nice to get another 2.2lb and hit that 50lb mark, but we’ll see!

I’m pre-occupied trying to get elder son ready for a week’s adventure holiday he’s going on, while also having more honey to extract and I’ve just started a batch of wild fermented mead with blackberries – it smells delicious! I have plans for other batches too; one with spices I think (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, vanilla maybe), one with a habanero pepper and one plain. I think this one might be a bit sweet so I’ll try to make the others a little drier I think.

Will check back in later in the week if I get the chance, but more realistically, see you on next week’s thread!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

In fairness to the reported/now deleted post, she was basically on message re “low fat” /healthy fats, from what I remember of a quick read of the post. But the “two weeks” plan wasn’t a good hook. Beegirl, 50lbs! We should also maybe tell newbies that extended fasting is not a prerequisite, this WoE and looking at carbs also works on a more sedate journey; it has been a revelation for me!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning everyone. Yes 6T..JJ the moderator did not believe the post I reported was genuine,either.
    Another day begins here. O/h needs a lot of attention…with dressing…meds…and is wearing a shoulder brace to help heal the broken collarbone. The hospital bed is proving very useful as he can lift himself out of it with the raised backrest.
    I am preparing dishes with lots of Mediterranean veg which we have in abundance here. Slow cooked ratatouille..bbq fish and lots of green salads. It will take time but hopefully O/h will be more mobile by the time I go back to school.
    Articfox..hope the hair appointment goes well and you don’t get any more vertigo issues. That would be horrendous. Well done on your discard !
    Hope everyone is enjoying the summer. I feel a bit out of the loop and sometimes I just have time to read the posts. Doing my best to watch over you with with Kafin ! Xxx

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Wendleg. Glad to hear that o/h is recovering. Frustrating, but it takes time and patience! Thought of you as I just cooked a scrumptious brunch today – omelette with thinly sliced courgette and roasted red peppers with a few bacon cubes and shavings of parmesan. yum. I would like to report a successful restart, but it has been a bit like a vintage car starting up – plenty of noisy announcements and smoke. But sputtering progress! But KOKO….

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing? I think there’s a few away on Summer holidays and some of us who are just flat out busy!
    Caronl- that omelette sounds so good!
    BeeGirl – your bee keeping and mead making fascinates me and 50lbs!!! That’s a huge effort, congrats!
    I’m just trying to be steady and avoid all temptations on set plus make sensible choice for breakfast and lunch from the catering options we have.
    Hope you all have a great weekend wherever you are and whatever you’re doing! 😊🌸🦄

• posted by EC
    on

Hi all
    Sorry for the quiet this end
    –has been a killer week at work with travelling to meetings all but one day!!…and getting off yet another grant app!… was going to do a bit of work this weekend to get back on track but the database has frozen and the majority of my work at this time of year is online!!
    so maybe I’ll get some proper exercise in this weekend after all!

Kafin, I meant to say that I don’t go to yoga classes anymore for the same time-porrness-I have two great DVDs that I use at home;
    15 Minute Gently Yoga by Louise Grimes (4 different sessions great for when you only have a small window) and Yoga for Stress Management by Hala Khouri-both available on Amazon

Diet wise generally pretty good though I went over yesterday with a couple of glasses of wine and some cheese and homemade chutney (no bread though! 😉 )-but it was Friday after a huge week and back on track for the weekend-promise!!

Spring is so close…I have sweet peas growing in the hallway before it’s warm enough to plant them outside and they’re powering along with some seeds which have germinated beautifully!….and now with the pademelons fenced out we should have a good veggie garden this year!!

Finally applied for my passport renewal yesterday so pleased to report that the face is WAY less chubby than the old one! -older too 🙁
    have wonderful weekend all !

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I was only down by another 0.1kg this morning, which I was expecting after such a spectacular discard yesterday morning, and I had so much hair cut off, that it really could just be that. Not expecting to lose much after today either as it was a higher calorie day for me (I consumed a whopping (for me) 22.5g of iron and 41g of fibre, so not too bad nutritionally). I did go hiking accidentally for a couple of hours though and my fitness tracker says I burned 1300 calories. I don’t quite believe it as I was going so slowly on the steep uphill parts. I thought I was mainly going for a walk as my upstairs neighbour had her hyperactive grandson staying and he jumps on the floor so hard that all my lamps shake. I put up with him doing it for 7 hours straight yesterday (with breaks out on my balcony where it wasn’t quite so loud), so when it started up again this morning, I just hastily put together a healthy lunch and got out of here. I went to the head of a local popular trail that goes up to a viewpoint over a lake, but the car park was overflowing and people were parking dangerously on the road, so I carried on to a lesser known access point where there was hardly anyone parked, but it resulted in a much steeper hike up the back side of the hill. My legs were shaking coming back down! But then I finished off by going to a picnic area along the lake to eat lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon there reading a book.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning all how are we? Artic Fox 🦊 I have also been weighing myself everyday! Well done on your discard😘. I am still thankfully at 92kg 14stone 4 I’m old money 😂. I have been mindful of naughty snacks, french bread and other things that are so well made here in France 🇫🇷! I haven’t let any of it pass my lips🤗. I have worked too hard to go and blow it just because I am on holiday😜. Don’t get me wrong I have been eating lovely food and drinking wine as I still want to enjoy myself. But nothing of the old carbage has screamed out at me so that is good. My OH has been really good too! He even bought a french stick and he didn’t touch it😂 it went hard and we chucked it in the bin😜. I have had some lovely cheese though but I have wrapped it in ham! Yum 😋. I hope you all have a great day and I am thinking of you all. Wendy, jgwen, Elky, Allie, Kazz, 6T, beegirl, articfox, Kafin just to name a few but all of you are in my thoughts and I am wishing you all the luck on your own journeys through this amazing woe❤️❤️❤️🥰🥰🥰🥰 see you all soon and keep on keeping on. Love and hugs Birdy 🦜💞

• posted by Sarah Linden
    on

3 Secrets To Stick To Your Weight Loss Program

Struggling to stick with your diet program? You aren’t alone. Millions of people worldwide fall off diet programs every day.

Often, it’s due to a few key mistakes they’re making along the way. Let’s take a closer look at three powerful secrets for sticking to your diet plan. Put them into action and see the results you’re looking for.

Get A Diet Buddy

One word of advice: don’t go at it alone. Those who get a diet buddy will experience the high’s and low’s together. They stand a much better chance of success in the long run.

If you can’t convince someone to diet with you, at least find someone who will support you and keep you accountable as you need it.

You will hit hard times, and it will really help to have someone by your side.

Use Hunger-Busting Strategies

Hunger is another reason why many people can’t stick with a fat loss diet plan. That’s natural, but avoidable. Either they cut their calories too much, or they lack foods that promote satiety.

Focus your diet around foods that break down and digest slowly. Lean proteins coupled with fibrous carbohydrates are the best choices, followed closely by small doses of dietary fat.

While fat calories can add up quickly, small amounts can work wonders for hunger control.

Set Short-Term Goals

Think about what you want to accomplish in two weeks. It can be beneficial to dream about your transformed body in a year’s time, but only in tandem with achievable short-term goals. Otherwise you will lose sight of the light at the end of the tunnel.

Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day, and you won’t lose all the weight in a week. Focus on the here and now. Find a program, such as The 2 Week Diet, that focuses on the coming weeks. Use that time to build good habits, and you will be prepared for the future months.

Want to make the 2 week concept work for you? Check out The 2 Week Diet plan, which teaches you how to build proper habits over the course of two weeks. Equip yourself for a future of weight loss and health maintenance.

Sarah Linden

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Hi EC – I also have some online yoga workouts by my actual teacher here in LA which I like because I know and enjoy his style. But I only do them when I’m traveling! Thanks for the reminder that even if I can’t make myself get to class, I can always do it at home 😊
    I think I’ve missed a lot of posts due to a frantic week at work so shout out to everyone for a good week and hope you’re all doing well 🦄💕

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sarah Linden …I am confused ….are you posting on the thread to share your experience of the Fast 800 ?
    I don’t want to check out your 2 Week diet plan !!! I am doing fine on this one as are many of us on here !!

Not sure what your objective is ???

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone !
    I have a few minutes to check in until nursing duties resume ! O/H wore himself out yesterday walking too much and not being able to rest enough so I think he has taken a slight step backwards in the recovery process.He needs to be patient and aware of his evident limitations . He is still in a lot of pain and it is a long, slow road back to normality but at least he is eating better !

Our last caravanning guests left this morning which gives me a bit more flexibility with meal preparation and times as my sister is very relaxed and happy to eat low carb. I have encouraged one of our friends/guests to give BSD a go as she is pre diabetic and she is very motivated. I was really concerned when I saw her as her health had deteriorated significantly since her last visit . She has serious health issues and I am really pleased that she has decided to address them.

So a couple of weeks of the summer holiday left and hopefully O/h will become more mobile in time so I can go back to work and not worry too much about him.
    I hope everyone is staying focused.Would love to know how you are all doing
    I will check in as often as I can xx

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi Wendy,
    It can be very discouraging to see these setbacks during recovery, but hopefully your O/H will not take too long to get over this one. I think it is very natural for someone who likes to be up and about to push themselves a bit too far in the beginning, especially as you can feel significantly better from one day to the next and get lulled into thinking you can handle more than you can. I think it is all part of the learning experience. It is good that your O/H wants to push himself a bit as that is what helps recovery along. It is just a matter of learning how far to push to aid recovery while not doing so much to create a setback. It took me quite a while to realize that. Of course my physio was pushing me to do more, but I didn’t realize that I had to cut back a bit on other day to day things (like work, etc.) in order to be able to push harder in the specific areas that he wanted me to. Sounds like you are being a fabulous nurse!
    I managed to survive my haircut without too many ill effects. I was a little dizzy for the day after, so what do I do? Of course go hiking up a steep hill with switchbacks and some areas where if I put a foot wrong I would have gone over a cliff! Anyway, I managed it (mainly by hugging the other side of the trail, being careful not to trip over any tree roots and not looking down in the steep areas!) and the dizziness has improved since. I have been staying very focused. I don’t think I will make target this week as I had a bit of a blip up due to some water retention a couple of days ago, but it looks like if I stay focused for the rest of today I may have at least lost something this week, and I knew that 1.6kg was rather ambitious when I set it as a goal.

Please log in or register to post a reply.