One week at a time beginning 11th May 2021..

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Let’s stay positive, folks . Just hearing about easing of Covid restrictions in the Uk . Hopefully other countries will catch up soon and things can really start to get back to normal .

We are still monitoring the situation carefully to see if we can travel this summer .

The mood this week has been generally upbeat which is great . So let’s keep going, building on our achievements ( nothing is too small or insignificant)

If you are struggling and have chosen to be a bit quiet this week, that’s ok . Don’t allow any despondency to take over and keep you away for too long. The danger is that it will then be harder to claw back …..
    Wishing you all a great week

Wendy, SunnyB and sunshinegirl

• posted by wendleg
    on

I don’t think I have overlooked anyone but please shout if I have missed you off THE list !

wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer
    Sheila Canning
    JustKeepFasting
    Bryla
    kiltgirl
    Deb2003
    Donnadoobie
    HappiR
    WilLuck
    PaulaZ
    Faithlyn67
    Onetowatch
    nicnocgee
    Smead01 ( Samantha)
    Goforgoal
    Britta
    Mokovex
    DebOflo
    Riverrock
    HopefulinOz/Donna
    Quetzal
    Onnipinoy
    Magicbean
    Pashasmum
    avisamuelgrey
    scotsgirl57
    Annamarieboo
    peanutbutty
    erinmc82
    Kat2020
    xx1flump1xx
    Ncij678

• posted by Britta
    on

Hello everyone
    I’m here for another week. It’s been a tough few days leading up to totm, but just about turning the corner, so should be easier this week. I don’t know what’s going on weight-wise as experience tells me not to weigh myself at this particular juncture as I retain loads of water and get depressed by the scales even though I know that that’s what is going on. So I’ll weigh myself again when it’s safe at the end of the week.
    In other news I had my first haircut since lockdown. Hairdresser even complemented me on my last DIY haircut and said that only an inch difference between left and right side was not bad compared to some of the hairstyles she’d seen lately! 😀 I hope I never have to cut my own hair again!
    Hope you all have a good week, may the force be with you!

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Hi everyone,
    It sounds like a number of you are all going through a lot at the moment, whether that is caring for and worrying about loved ones, dealing with a few ‘down days’ with lifes up’s and downs, so Sunshine-Girl, Wendy, Clare, Britta, RubyG – thinking of you all and sending virtual hugs and many positive thoughts your way. Remember to be kind to yourselves, in whatever way that means to you. Personally i love to retreat to a deliciously warm bubble bath with a great book and some candles and relaxing music, or indulge in some yoga. Whatever it might be for you, make sure you take the time for some self-care xxx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi All,

Hopeful, thank you 🤗🤗….I’m a big fan of a lovely bath too- and usually enjoy one on a Saturday morning…my favourite shop is Lush, and I like to have a face mask, a bit of bubble bar or bath melt, and a body scrub…

Love to all, Tulip xx

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks for including me on this week’s list Wendy.I’ve been avoiding the scales for weeks but have weighed myself this morning.They show what I already knew,that my one day ‘off’ at Christmas has snowballed into five months of ‘on and off’ my food plan with the consequence of me being a stone heavier than I was before Christmas.I know lots of people can have a day off and are straight back on plan the following day,at present this is definitely not something I can do.I’m going to be realistic,it’s my birthday on Thursday and I won’t feel committed so I’m starting back on Fast800 100% on Friday.I’ve restarted so many times over this last year I’ve lost count but I’m not being too hard on myself about that,I’m just looking forward.It helps if I have regular goals but not too much pressure so my first one will be to lose as much of the stone I’ve regained by the next stage of Covid rules being lifted in the UK on 21st June.As ever,I know the help and experiences of everyone on the forum will help me.Dawn X

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Okie dokie, I’m in.
    I’ve been up and down mentally for no particular reason and it directly affects my motivation for looking after myself and eating right. Generally been on plan food, with the occasional chip or oatcake (now at least buy gluten free ones).
    But Wendy is right (as always) keeping active on here will help me stay positive and focused, so Wendy please – hefty kick up the rear please, must keep away from despondency, I know i feel better for staying on track.
    So short term plan – a wee discard in the next 3 weeks would be great…….in prep for horse comp which is looming….. I have been avoiding the scales but think i need to brave them, get a reading so ic an see any progress i make and to help motivate me to stay on plan til the next weigh in.

Dawn – I feel im in the same boat as you. My christmas experience has been similar – i was good all through December but found it hard ever since. I dont think its just the day off, but also, this has been the toughest winter / start to the year is so so many ways – covid, weather, isolation, etc. But youve motivated me to brave the scales though….. lets get on this together. Britta has shown us it CAN be done!!

Thanks to everyone for contributing to the weekly threads, always good to read through and see how folk are doing.

xx

• posted by RubyG
    on

RubyG and hubby reporting for duty.
    After saying I am tired of counting cals, that’s exactly what I need to do the next few days at least.
    While hubby has shed nearly 3lb since last week, I seem to have found it, and there is no particular reason food-wise for that, so I’m hoping it’s a blip and a few days will shed it again.
    SG I managed one Brazil nut last night with some milk kefir – I had this instead of a square of chocolate after dinner.
    I also did a 30-min Youtube yoga session last night, as my shoulders are not happy at the moment, very tight and sore, so a few days of stretching and moving should mobilise them again.
    I can’t recall who posted the recipe for the cabbage/fennel/lemon & mint kraut, which I made on Saturday (along with a batch of kimchi, standard sauerkraut, pickled cucumbers and preserved lemons) – it is VERY lively and merrily bubbling away on my kitchen counter. It already smells lovely so I am looking forward to trying it.
    ODAAT everyone, let’s make this week count.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wonderful to read such positivity here. Seems that there are many struggling with mindset issues and Hopeful is right, we do need to be compassionate to ourselves. We ALL deserve consideration and a little pampering …. what that looks like for you.

I admit that I have not been BSD focused recently, but thankfully have not (yet) seen any real scales disaster. However, I’m maintaining at a higher poundage than I’d like, so at some point I need to find that focus again and knuckle down. Finding that illusive motivation isn’t proving an easy task though. Glad to say that remaining part of this community, helps me keep some control and for that I’m really grateful.

Anyway, no matter what this week brings you, don’t be judgemental and harsh with yourself …. we’ve all had a tough year one way or another and the fact we’re here, giving it our best, is good enough.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

You are right Julz,this absolutely can be done,I’m feeling really positive about it for first the time in ages😀As you say,this last winter with the Covid situation has been difficult so it’s not surprising some of us have struggled to keep to this woe.I’m looking forward to achieving some non scale victories as well as weight loss! Dawn X

• posted by erinmc82
    on

hi everyone, hope you’re well! that’s me back in the groove of IF and low carbing. 10lb and 2 inches off my waist.
    tomorrow i’m heading to scotland for my much delayed family christmas – 3 days of eating and drinking.
    looking forward to seeing the family after a year but fretting a bit about backsliding.
    (ps not partaking is not an option!)
    have a wonderful week all! x x

• posted by Britta
    on

Dawn I was just reading about your one day that turned into 5 months, which is not unlike that happened to me last summer. It seems to be all or nothing with me too. So there was a few false starts on the Fast 800 which surprised me because the first time around I just started one day and battled through it. But the second time it was winter and Covid and I couldn’t mobilise the willpower and stamina for both cutting carbs and counting calories, I just couldn’t get past day 3. Something had to give so I ditched the calorie counting and decided to just cut out all the sugars and the snacks so that at least I wouldn’t be so vulnerable to the carbs. It’s been a few weeks of that now and I have still lost a fair bit of weight without the calorie counting ( I do have some muscle memory of what 800 calories look like though, so let’s say I’ve been in the 1000 – 1200 range). But importantly I’m through the carb cravings, so I feel ready for next step, actually counting calories too. This approach may of course not work for anyone other than me, but there you go, it’s an idea.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hey everyone

Nice to hear everyone is plodding along, sunshine girl I’m sorry to hear about your husband and his cholesterol, that’s a really difficult situation to be in.

Tulip sorry to hear you’ve been struggling a bit too, we’re all here for you!

I’ve probably missed loads of other peoples so just want to send big hugs to all who need it and congrats to all who need that and also strength and courage to all who need it!

I’ve been laying low the last few weeks, thank you for noticing, I appreciate it. I’ve been very low in mood, few things going on and just generally feeling very unappreciated and invisible in all sectors of my life, pandemic is getting to me now, work is stressing me out and I just kinda feel like I have noone to talk to, not been doing so well on the diet but I’ve not made too much damage and I’m starting to get my head back in gear. My partner and I have temporarily paused trying for children because our wedding is now only 11 months away and it was all getting a bit close for comfort so we are now not trying again till August which means I have three months to get my act together and try and get down to at least an overweight BMI – that means losing 2.5 stone in 3 months which is a big challenge but I’m determined to at least make a dent in it.

Anyway thanks for the shout out, I really appreciate it more than I can say at the moment

Lauren x

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    Starting the week with reporting that my shape seems to be changing a bit, finally! Of course I’ve not lost anything around my hips, thighs or waist which is where I need to discard the most, and I’m not weighing myself at the minute but doubt I’ve discarded many kg’s if any, but my wrists, ankles, lower arms and face all appear a bit slimmer this week than last. I’m off work this week, which means of course that I’m doing even more farm work than usual, just less sitting at a desk. I’m pretty much sticking to 2MAD. I go out in the morning to look after the horses, then do gardening or other farm chores until I get hungry. Now that the horses are home, I’m eating my evening meal at a much more reasonable time, so I think that is helping too. Tonight I had spinach and lettuce from the garden topped with olives, green onions, grilled haloumi and a vinagrette. It was very nice. I’ve had it with eggs instead of haloumi and a sesame ginger dressing earlier in the week which was also delicious.
    Generally I’ve been feeling much better than I was late last week after my Covid jab. Still a bit tired, although that could be because I’m working so hard. I’m going to try to get a good night’s sleep. Pressure washing my back deck tomorrow in preparation for re-staining it, so I’ll need to have some energy for that.

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Lauren – sending you an enormous virtual hug also. Great to hear from you and sorry to hear that things have been tough for you lately. You do have people you can talk to though – lean on us! I feel very much that this is a place for support for more than just the food we eat and the weight on the scales – what an amazing group of supportive friends you have here, and you are definitely not invisible to us.

How exciting that the wedding is only 11 months away – I know that there have been many cancellations along the way thanks to Covid, but so excited for you that you have a time set now that looks like it will actually happen. And it is wonderful that you have a few months up your sleeve to get into the best shape and best mindset possible for preparing for you children. It is great to have goals and ‘why’s’….just make sure you are being kind to yourself and loving yourself every bit as much as you deserve xx.

Arcticfox – that is great news – sounds like you are in a great place at the moment. And that dinner sounds delicious – I think I will be trialling that one for sure!

Last night I went out for one of a number of dinners this week. Fortunately for me, it was changed from a pizza/pasta restaurant to thai at the last minute. I excitedly ordered a really spicy thai red curry (no rice), thinking that would be my best choice from the menu, and was also what I felt like. My first taste absolutely shocked me – it was SO SWEET!!!! After 9 or so weeks of avoiding carbs, sugars, fruit I was amazed at how sweet it was. They must have added palm sugar. And it was nice, and very spicy, but amazing how tastes change. After avoiding all rice, all desserts afterwards, and setting for a decaf flat white instead, I drove home feeling utterly sick – very nauseous indeed 🙁 However, woke up this morning feeling much better, and only 100g heavier on the scales than yesterday, so happy about that at least.

Have a great day,
    Donna xx

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi Britta,that actually sounds like a really good idea which I may try because,like you, I probably have a good idea of what 800 cals looks like so I think I wouldn’t go too much over that.I think I will give it a go from Friday for a couple of weeks and see how I get on.Thanks,Dawn X

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Hi everyone and sending virtual hugs to everyone that might be feeling down. I am excited we are easing out of all this and am going back in the office one day a week, which I’m enjoying, but still feel like everything is a bit Groundhog Day. I’ve worked from home right through all this (I’m a sub editor) and bizarrely it feels like the year has zipped by – but also crawled. Working in news also means I have had no escape from all the Covid news – I look forward to the time the daily pages don’t include virus counts and death tolls 😢 bsd has really gone off the boil for me – after being so precise and on it in Jan and Feb I have started sliding. Finding it hard to rally willpower so I think your ideas are good of at least dropping snacks, as many carbs as possible and in my case alcohol will help as much as calorie counting. First rule of the BSD club… talk about it as much as you like but don’t expect benefits without actually DOING it. (Please note that last remark was aimed squarely at myself). Love to all and ODAAT. Jenny

• posted by RubyG
    on

Glad to hear from you Lauren, I was worried about you too, keep on keeping on as SG would say.

Re. knowing what 800cals looks like – I may have lost my way there a bit, as yesterday I had to make a choice about whether to have a whole chicken breast for supper and forego my single Brazil nut and kefir, or cut down my supper. I stuck with the Brazil nut and 100ml kefir and although I cooked the whole piece of chicken, I ate half as I was satisfied, so we have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Today’s lunch is the balance of yesterday’s chicken broth.
    I have also tried to meal-plan with a focus on the Clever Guts foods, so this morning’s scrambled eggs included turmeric and black pepper, and were very nice indeed.
    Keep going everyone!

• posted by florob85
    on

Jenny my partner works as a local reporter, I feel your pain about constant exposure to covid news!!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Lauren, really big virtual hug xxxxx

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Does anybody happen to have any suitable recipes for some type of spinach and ricotta ‘meatballs’ in a tomato based sauce that are low carb/grain free/ suitable for this WoE? I used to cook spinach and ricotta canneloni for my kids all the time, and they love it, but I want to adapt to this WoE. I was thinking of rolling the mixture into small balls and cooking directly in the marinara sauce, but it is a bit loose. I have wondered about whether quinoa could act as a binder, but even quinoa is very carb-heavy. Would love to find a solution if anybody has any ideas or tried and tested recipes 🙂
    Thank you lovely people xxxx

• posted by florob85
    on

Donna could you try using cabbage leaves as the “cannelloni” – just blanch them so they are pliable? Or roll the ricotta mix in large spinach leaves? Ground nuts might work as a binder or egg, or flax but that might be a bit weird – I’d try and just replace the cannelloni with something rather than trying to make soft cheese a ball, but others might have some ideas!

L x

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Just googled low carb spinach and ricotta balls and a few recipes came up. One on keto app used almond and coconut flour in it. There was one for gnocchi by divalicious that has no flour but Parmesan ricotta etc. But you bake it so maybe that’s the key- then make tomato sauce separately.

• posted by RubyG
    on

One option I recall from the Hairy Bikers was they used sheets of opened-out leeks instead of lasagne or canneloni, or you could look at very thin omelettes.

• posted by florob85
    on

I’ve used leeks in lasagne, it works pretty well and adds a nice flavour

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hopeful, try searching for Gnudi recipes, these are ricotta based gnocchi and are boiled to cook. Can’t speak for the content, but I’m guessing there will be keto versions online.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I found this link by doing a search on the forum, regarding the nutritional content of homemade kefir, as the MFP numbers seem way off and are possibly referencing a commercial product.
    So far I have just been using the values for organic whole milk, thinking that would be worst case scenario as the lactose would be reduced to lactic acid and therefore the carbs would be lower anyway, so this was useful.
    https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/how-many-calories-in-kefir/
    So far I am managing to have my 1 Brazil nut and 100ml kefir either before or after supper, and including them in my daily cals and carbs.

• posted by florob85
    on

Ruby I’ve used that website, it’s something to do with commercial products being legally obliged to label something as sugar because they have no way of monitoring or standardising how much “sugar” gets converted to acid, so the labels on commercial products basically are wrong. Sounds like you’re figuring it out to work for you which is good! Personally I’ve gone off kefir after a brief experiment with it (just not for me) and I think Brazil nuts taste like mud (apparently this is a genetic thing, similar to the coriander love/hate thing – some people just taste Brazil nuts like dirt!)

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Lauren, I have missed your taste descriptions……..
    I always like kefir when I drink it, I just sometimes abandon my culture and then have to revive it and give it some love again. Again, I love coriander.

• posted by florob85
    on

Coriander = soap to me 😂

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

You have all had brilliant ideas and suggestions – thank you so much. After reading your ideas I have been down a rabbit hole of pinterest research, and found some great alternatives…. for anybody who might also be interested, these looked like some good options to me:

1. Using the leek as the canneloni tube (thanks RubyG) – https://www.scrumdiddlyumptious.com/leek-cannelloni/
    2. Using ultra-thin strips of zucchini to wrap the ricotta mix like a ‘ravioli’ – https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/zucchini-ravioli-chicken-ricotta-spinach-recipe/x1g317c8?r=recipes%2Fchickenrecipes&c=9371ac3c-9dc2-4833-9781-f7e561a4186f%2FChicken+recipes
    3. Using cabbage leaves to roll the mixture in (Thanks Lauren) – https://jaimyskitchen.nl/recept-witte-kool-rolletjes-met-geitenkaas/
    4. Spinach and ricotta balls (found this when researching Gnudi – thanks SunnyB and Workingfromthefridge) – https://www.azgrabaplate.com/simple-spinach-ricotta-gnocchi/

Now I just have to decide which one to experiment with first….. 🙂

• posted by RubyG
    on

Just popping in to say I’m doing a 16:8 TRE today.
    Supper was 19h30 last night, hubby had an early call so a slightly later planned breakfast, by which point I had a black coffee and didn’t actually feel the need to eat.
    I will have lunch with him, probably something fermented, so my gut microbiome should be happy 🙂
    I also visited the loft-shop last night, and my smallest pair of outdoor trousers and my smallest and most treasured tweed blazer both went on and did up, but with the possibility of popping a seam if I move – this is the added motivation I need to shift another half stone and get into the bottom half of the 11st.
    ODAAT!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, just want to say keep on keeping on to you all. I am doing okay but weight loss has slowed down even with TRE and I cant seem to get past a certain number on the scales. So basically I have been maintaining.

Dont know if it is the probiotic tablet I am taking or the raw fermented food I am eating but I have had quite a bit of running to the loo. Will stick with it but I am certainly not losing any extra weight.

Lauren, the bigger worry with hubby is his BG levels at pre-diabetes range. I have given him as much advice as I dare but he still doesnt quite get it. Yesterday there was a bowl and a small plate in the sink when I got up and I said, I see you still had toast as well as porridge and he said ‘yes but I didnt put any honey in the porridge this time’. What!!!!! I didnt know he did that but then I should have realised as there is always a jar of honey in the cupboard and regularly on the shopping list and I never thought about where it was being used. Today he still bought his pack of 2 cakes but they were pear tarts. Rather worrying that there are no nutrition lists on the cakes. I can only do so much nagging and not start an argument so it is up to him. Lets see what his blood works say in July.

• posted by Britta
    on

Lauren I’m glad to have the Brazil nut conondrum solved at last! Can’t say it’s been keeping me awake, but I have always wondered why the rest of the world would eat a nut that tastes like soil… and why it is the only nut that does?! – So now I know that it’s in my genes 😀

• posted by florob85
    on

Yay there’s another like minded person Britta! Happy to help! 😂

• posted by wendleg
    on

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM US ALL !! Dawn !!!!! Have a wonderful day and enjoy the celebration . Same to you erinmc82 for your family Christmas ! We need these cherished moments so ditch any guilt . No point . Maybe avoid ‘unnecessary ‘extras like bread , limiting the processed foods and eating natural foods as much as possible but most importantly ENJOY the moment !!!

I think that reading through your posts the message I would like to get across is to remember that you are still here , still trying and not giving up . It’s ok not to get things right all the time but to beware of not losing total control . Sunny is right we need to show ourselves compasssion. Also… well done for staying positive and looking for alternative low carb foods and recipes .

I really hope the raw , fermented foods are not messing up your progress SG . I wouldn’t have thought so and remember they are VERY good for you . I think your hubby just needs a bit of time to take on board all the info about sugars etc . Not so long ago I would be buying lots of different types of honey from the local markets here thinking it was so healthy . He is making small changes and hopefully it will all slot into place as he develops new habits without any arguments . Men generally like to resist advice about food and drink !!! My hubby has stopped drinking beer so I take that as a small victory . He won’t give up certain ‘treats’ though and he buys them when he goes shopping alone so I have given up … he knows the info 😉

My latest news re my shoulder after an x ray and scan is that I have calcific tendonitis which is a build up of calcium deposits causing inflammation in the tendons . I see my doc next week and hopefully she will prescribe some physio sessions .I don’t want anything more aggressive . I am back on the apple cider vinegar and the golden lattes with turmeric, ginger and cinnamon to hopefully help with the inflammation .
    I’m on volume 2 of my son’s photo book 😉 30 years is a long time and I don’t want to miss any key moments !

So basically just keep going folks even if you have an off day , feeling a bit despondent . Everyone here knows it is a struggle sometimes but you can push through and get back on track accepting it all takes time . There is no quick fix, we know that . In those bleaker moments do something just for yourself . Yes,a pampering session, a new hair cut, a bubbly bath … I tend to look for a Vinted bargain as you know and I recently found a lovely pair of Fluevog trainers which I polished up and added some wacky laces . They make me smile .
    Also just feeling grateful for being pretty healthy although not the ‘perfect weight, perfect size ‘ etc . Noone is perfect but we are being good to ourselves eating healthily . Just doing that will make you feel better and don’t beat yourselves up if you are stalling ,or putting on a few pounds . There will be days when the numbers fluctuate, don’t panic but keep your eye on the long term prize of improved health .

All the very best and keep posting so we can support and encourage and whatever the challenges you are facing .

• posted by RubyG
    on

SG I think stomach upsets are to be expected when raw fermented foods are first introduced. I know we were warned when I did a course on fermented foods and how to make them, to start slowly and build up a relationship with the bugs.
    For lunch today we had tinned sardines (oily fish and all that good stuff) with a small portion of red sauerkraut and standard sauerkraut (made last year sometime and now refrigerated to slow down or stop any further fermentation), some of the lemon achar (which is amazing) and a half a dill pickle from last week’s fermenting (before they get too soft) – my guts have not complained yet…………
    Supper will be a bag of something from the freezer with cauli rice or mash, once again the English weather is foul!

Re. your hubby, as you say he knows the score and hopefully he will start to follow your lead a bit more without you nagging, or he may need the nudge of his next blood results.

We like to watch some cooking programs on the UK telly, and we both like James Martin. I know he is renowned for his baking, but the last 2 episodes of his Saturday morning show must have been sponsored by Diabetes-R-Us – raspberry tart with pastry and creme pat and a jam glaze, burgers with a BBQ sauce made using sugar AND maple syrup, battered fish and chips, toad-in-the-hole, stuffed Indian breads, crab waffles! The only recipe without a mound of carbs was cooked by the chef from the Ritz who has lost a few stone (I think by low-carbing but that’s just my theory) – his dish was turbot with spring veg and a butter sauce, garnished with caviar, and not a white carb in sight!

• posted by florob85
    on

Ruby I’ve just totally misread “oily” as “jolly” – so now I have images of you eating jolly mackerel

Think it might be time to put the marking to bed for the day if brainbox is playing tricks on me!

I’ve got a question for you all but I’ll post it later when I’m feeling a bit more with it!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

how bizarre… I LOVE brazils, and coriander 😁

ooh, and the sesame crusted salmon- delish ☺

x

• posted by RubyG
    on

Yep, I’m in the love Brazils and coriander camp.
    On a similar note, asparagus – there is a farm in the next village, and they sell via my local butcher/farm shop – 2 bundles ordered for collection tomorrow 🙂

• posted by Tulip1
    on

asparagus 😍😍

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi again, ok brain is a bit more in gear now. Question

Those of you who have been comfort eaters (and I know that’s not everyone, my partner doesn’t get why I want to dive into a vat of deliciousness when I’m stressed) – do you have any tips or tricks that have been successful in helping you break the cycle?

Now I know some will say it’s mind over matter etc. and I do agree to an extent, I know it’s all about willpower etc. But I also know it’s a tough habit to break and it takes longer than just a few weeks of telling yourself healthy stuff is your friend, comfort food is the enemy etc. I also really struggle to equate “something else” with the pleasure of eating something comforting – for example I know people suggest if you’re upset go for a walk, or listen to music etc. But it doesn’t seem to work for me. I’m talking about those times when you just feel sad and empty and end up eating a massive pile of mash potato or something. I never used to understand in the past when I’ve dieted and I wanted say a bar of chocolate, and someone said to me “have an apple” – like it’s not the same! I think with me it’s not so much the taste of food that I associate with comfort, it’s the textures and the way it fills you up. I really want to try and break this cycle of “I feel sad” therefore “I must eat” but I don’t know where to start when I’ve really really tried all the tricks I know of like do something else, have a cup of tea, eat something healthy, view vegetables as your friends. I envy the people who can do it but I just don’t seem to be able to and it’s causing me to self-sabotage, especially at the moment when I’m really not doing great

Sooooo I’m asking you guys for advice! I can take harsh talk or tough love! But any tips you can share would be marvellous!

Lauren x

• posted by Ncjj678
    on

Hi
    How are you all doing? The weather here is miserable. I’m quietly plodding on with the BSD diet. I’m on week 3. Week 1 I lost 6lbs. Week 2 just 1lb. I stuck to it completely with the exception of one mint! I do have a slightly underactive thyroid, I’m the wrong side of 40 and years of yo-yo dieting probably hasn’t done my metabolism much good but whereas I would usually give up if the scales didn’t reflect my effort, I have kept going this time. I’m in the pre-diabetic range and that is enough for me to keep chipping away at the weight and make healthier choices.

I’m currently meal planning for next week and thinking of making the creamy fish bake from the recipe book. Has anyone made it and do you have any suggestions for an alternative to celeriac mash please?
    I’ve made root veg mash to top a shepherd’s pie in the past but don’t think this would work with fish pie.
    Thanks in advance 🙂

• posted by florob85
    on

Ncjj cauliflower mash all the way! I’ve made the cream fish bake from the BSD book, it was um fishy (I don’t know why I made it because I don’t like fish and I don’t know why I expected it to not be fishy!) – I also made the “filling” in advance and let it set for a bit so it firmed up, then topped with a mix of broccoli and cauliflower mash – just steam both until soft then drain REALLY well and then add a dollop of butter, salt and pepper and blitz – it’s not quite as firm as potato but it’s ok

• posted by Tulip1
    on

keep going ncj, that’s half a stone gone 😁

• posted by Tulip1
    on

I was a moderate comfort eater….and found it took time, and I’ve really made a point of relishing those other things…like Lush baths, reading by a cosy fire, or lying in the sun….and also ‘allowed’ treats (at least when you get past the 800 cals a day every day), I’ve really come to appreciate even more- a square of very dark chocolate, small glass or 2, hic, of red wine, chunk of cheese (although the latter is dangerous and I find it hard to be moderate with)….but I don’t think it’s a quick thing to fix, exactly as you say, and the emotional side…talking about it, with friends who understand, partner or support groups (depending on the subject) and counselling or mental health nurse for the deeper more ongoing issues…it’s a bit like sitting with the hunger, sitting with the feelings…..

don’t know if that helps at all tho, comfort eating specifically for emotions was not my biggest issue (I just bloody love food and have a massive appetite)…but I used to have really bad coping mechanisms (self harm) and only by addressing the issues, plus being diagnosed correctly and subsequently treated for bipolar and allowing myself to feel the feelings and talk about them, have I learned to mostly put the SH in the past.

Love and hugs,
    Tulip xx

• posted by florob85
    on

Thank you for sharing your story Tulip, I appreciate it xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Lauren. I found reading helped me understand some of the triggers around my overeating which I am sure was comfort or emotional eating when I was trying to keep everything together ..retraining to teach in France, bringing up my two boys , in an unhappy relationship etc etc. Just needing to grow an outer shell to give me some protection.
    I just did a search for” comfort eating ‘ on Amazon and there are a few books and self help guides on there. I find I often recognise myself in the case studies so maybe worth a try for useful strategies ?
    You are not alone, for sure. Big hugs coming your way 🤗

• posted by Britta
    on

I’m an expert on comfort eating! 😀 (*hysterical laughter*)
    No, but it is an excellent question. It’s probably one of those things where you have to develop your own thing, but two things help me: Firstly, never having any sugars seems to dull the cravings to a level where they are more manageable and where I can more easily distract myself.
    Secondly, I eat 3 meals a day, every day, no snacks. The regularity of meals was a cornerstone in the binge eating disorder treatment I did. It calms my body to always know when the next meal is coming, and again that seems to make it easier to distract myself then.

Ps In my mind will-power is not a useful concept… I’ve learned to think of it like speaking Spanish, some people can other people can’t, and there’s nothing wrong with people who can’t speak Spanish 😀

• posted by florob85
    on

Thanks Wendy I’ll have a look, I keep starting books and then getting too tired to finish them 😂 – I started a really interesting one called Homo Sapiens when I was on holiday – it’s all about anthropology and stuff but I’ve been sooooooo tired since I got home that I’ve not picked it up since. Maybe I will when this current period of marking is over (210 assignments to mark in two weeks whilst also teaching two modules on two campuses!)

L x

Please log in or register to post a reply.