on UK news TODAY

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

I woke up to hear the news on the radio that the National Obesity Forum is giving advice to cut carbs and avoid low fat foods
    I smiled to myself and went back to sleep
    I woke up again at the next news to hear the response of England’s chief ‘nutritionist’!! Saying that is irresponsible!!

I wanted to cry

this is a link for anyone interested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36345768

please please Dr Mosley – get another ‘trust me’ programme out there on this as soon as possible

it is VITAL that people get the right message, the accurate one, not the one with half information and bits and pieces

sorry for the rant
    its just I was so thrilled when I heard the first announcement and I thought yes yes yes finally something

• posted by barby
    on

Yes I was just listening on Radio 4 on way to work – very frustrating to hear. They were presenting it as though the National Obesity Forum is saying we can eat unlimited fats – which “England’s chief nutritionist” then latched onto and pooh poohed.

I hope this at least raises the question in peoples minds and more debate takes place.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

England’s chief ‘nutritionist’ needs a swift kick up the nether regions !!!
    The good thing is that more and more info is now appearing telling us that low carb IS the way to go and we are the living, breating, proof of that.
    It’s about time someone made a program that features the results of this way of eating and having a portion of the audience made up of people who have successfully completed the BSD
    The great British public would be more likely to be swayed by that than nay amount of so called experts trotting out the same old trash.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

come on then you guys who have done 8+ weeks and have diabetes – are you ready to audition for Dr Mosley?
    I agree with Bill, people believe other real people when they see the results

I also agree with the kicking up the ***

but it is so good that it is in the news
    more more more

• posted by keeptrying
    on

yes barby – you can imagine the phone call – journalist calls chief nutritionist – ‘what do you think? can people just eat as much fat as they like?’
    well of course she would say no

pointless comment to the wrong argument

but when they go on about calories – they are deceiving people into thinking all calories are equal WHICH THEY ARE NOT

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Thanks for the link to the report!
    This was being discussed on the Victoria Derbyshire show this morning – presumably it’ll be on iPlayer.

• posted by JCH187
    on

I think the results speak for themselves, look at everyone’s blood results and then say it’s irresponsible.

• posted by jimnz
    on

England’s so called “chief nutritionist” is surely a nominee for President of the Flat Earth Society.

Jim

• posted by keeptrying
    on

its frightening, really

• posted by Izzy
    on

jimnz!!! That made me choke on my (low carb) dinner.

I was talking to someone today about BSD after politely declining the cake she was trying to give me. I know several people who are managing to lose lots of weight on slimming world, but for me (and many of us) it offers a lot of carb freedom and just didn’t work for me but there is no denying it works for many. The reason it works I think is because those following it properly are having more veg, less processed food, and less sugar – all in common with BSD, albeit many other differences.

My own theory is that there is much yet to be researched in food/nutrition/body types. I’m a BSD convert it works for me. ME, and I agree it would work for most others too but for many others there are other options that could also work for them.

I know I have insulin resistance issues and I’m pre-disposed to type 2, This is the first time after a long search that I have found something that targets my specific issues. I think that in 50 years (maybe sooner if we are lucky) more will have been properly tested and proven, and we will know more collectively. My guess is that many ‘types’ of people will be discovered and acknowledged, with individual issues and quirks, and with the knowledge that will come more specific, personal, targeted advice will (I hope) be offered.

I think much of this already exists, but because there are so many conflicting ideas, both new and outdated, we are left with the common basic generic advice, that frankly only works for a minority. BSD at least works for a majority.

• posted by thepolly
    on

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/may/22/official-advice-to-eat-low-fat-diet-is-wrong-says-health-charity#comment-74850785

That’s the link to the guardian article on it. I sense that big food co inc. has far too much of a vested interest in this not to try and poke holes in it.

Call me cynical but it’s the perfect setup. ‘Food’ makes us sick and then big pharma co inc. can sell us lots of awful damaging drugs that themselves need more drugs to treat the side effects. Very neat. Grrrr

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi keeptrying
    Thanks very much for the link. I’ve printed the report! Yes, we need open discussion, argument & publicity! Carbs are out of the closet now & as I’ve been saying & reading about for a long time, it’s Big Bucks – US dollars & £ – that are at stake; NOT OUR HEALTH!
    We’ll change that. 👍

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I’ve got to say Dr Mosley that I have been looking forward to the day you produce the programme about this diet. It will change the lives of so many people : )

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

I heard it and will read the report with interest. I’ve been asked to take part in research by the Diabetes Alliance for Research in England – the Dare Study – this is looking into connections with inherited and environmental causes of diabetes and involves blood tests and looking at DNA. I was asked through my doctor’s surgery. When I spoke to them I said gladly yes, I’d be happy to be involved but in exchange I wanted to talk to them about me reversing my type 2 diabetes and the researcher said ‘oh, ok’. I’m going after I have my diabetic check with nursey today, and my hbiAc blood test results on Friday with doctor – I agree, we need to spread the word – I feel passionately that we need to help promote this to help other people. Just fingers crossed I get good results though!

Why don’t we organise an event ourselves – a conference if you like – getting us all together with positive medical people – promote to journalists etc with Dr M at the helm??

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well done tallyhoo. Good that they agreed to you talking about reversing your diabetes : )

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Izzy,
    You speak a lot of sense. We can’t look at things in isolation and say this is good, this is bad – it’s about how things interact, be it drug-drug interactions, foodstuffs, different needs of the individual. As you say, more research is needed to better understand what’s going on.

• posted by Kathy54
    on

It has just been on the radio news and is on the BBC website that T2 diabetics are missing out on weight loss surgery as that is the only way they can reverse their diabetes.

• posted by barby
    on

I heard that too Kathy – they are saying it’s better to spend £6,000 on an obesity operation, rather than keep taking diabetes drugs. It will reduce their blood sugar and hopefully reverse diabetes.

Why on earth would you put yourself through a potentially dangerous and painful operation, without at least trying the BSD way first? Most people probably aren’t aware of the option, and their doctors don’t seem to want to know either. It’s so wrong.

They should spend that money doing big trials of BSD around the country – would be great if they could set up a regular “BSD club” where everyone was weighed and monitored, and taught the BSD ways.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36367691

• posted by thepolly
    on

I think that as well barby, surely it would be cheaper to prescribe the book before weight loss surgery. I thought they couldn’t do bariatric surgery on those that were too overweight anyway.

It’s really funny (in a non-humorous way) that they ridiculed a way of eating one day and then are full on behind surgery the next… there is a lack of joined up thinking sometimes.

Tallyhoo, brilliant. It’s great that there are some surgeries that are impressed with individual outcomes from this way of eating and the effect it’s having on health. It will get out there. I just wish I could sign the petition to government more than once 🙁

• posted by hashimoto
    on

I read about it on BBC news app. I’m sure my blood pressure shot up due to frustration at the ignorance and idiocy of it. So, they think it is better to risk someone’s life with expensive, scarring surgery rather than follow Prof Taylors ground breaking work which would cost the tax payer how much was it? Exactly £0.00. Well £6000.00 must be cheaper. I had better go back to school and relearn the basics of arithmetic.
    Grrrrrrrrrrr

Please log in or register to post a reply.