Off the wagon and miserable as sin

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Spuddy61
    on

I had been following the BSD and lost nearly a stone. Felt healthier than I have for a long time. Unfortunately I am a sociable creature who eats out often. I’ve found it increasingly difficult to get back on the wagon and I’ve gained three quarters of the weight.
    How do I keep focused on the weekends when I’m not a diabetic and love carbs?
    Grabbing a sandwich for lunch is so much easier than preparing a salad.
    Then there are the diet wreckers who tempt you with chocolates and biscuits and things I’d never been bothered about before..

Any words of wisdom out there?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

There isn’t an easy way to do it, white carbs feed the craving cycle and make it seductively easy to fall back into bad habits. I have been trying to follow the carb addict diets suggestions of keeping intake of white processed carbs to within only one hour a day, and that mostly seems to be working, but when I relaxed even more over my birthday I needed a really quite extreme ‘reboot’ week afterwards to feel back in control again. My advice would be try a two week period of low carb, 800 calories to reset the cravings and then maybe try the once a day strategy.

• posted by Spuddy61
    on

Thanks.I know there are no easy ways and can’t believe how ill I felt 2 days back into the diet. Felt like I had the flu.. I’m not sure why I crave chocolate when I could completely take it or leave it before the BAD. 🙄

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

As you are not diabetic and seriously want carbs try using alternative – and I dont mean cauli rice or spiralized courgette. There are certain carbs that dont add to your craving like chickpea flour tortillas, wild or brown rice (check labels carefully) seed biscuits or oat biscuits etc. You will get feeling of having carbs but none of the high sugar rush and quick drop which is what causes the cravings. Plenty of recipes using chickpea flour, almond flour, coconut flour or I am sure in the UK there are plenty of alternatives on the supermarket shelves.

• posted by Spuddy61
    on

Mixnmatch can you give me the basics of the carb addicts diet of having one carb rich meal a day? Does it work? Has anyone else tried it?

• posted by Jande9
    on

The trouble with carbs is once you start you want more so if at all possible, try and delay eating carbs as long as possible. If you can find some non-carb snacks that would help. Try snacking on cabbage or broccoli, or slices of cold meat.
    I found that eating carbs as part of a meal doesn’t trigger the cravings, but eating them on their own causes serious craving.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I found the book in a charity shop and read it a short while ago, with my new found interest in the subject. The science in it is very similar to BSD and all based on not triggering high insulin, which causes the cravings. Essentially you eat BSD style (although being a 15 year old book they are disturbingly low fat about it as well, I just ignored that bit), for almost the entire day, but at one meal you can add extra processed carbs if you want to, as long as you only eat them within an hour. The science suggests that the insulin rise around 90 minutes or so after eating them is responsible for starting the later uncontrolled eating cycle, if given in to. Obviously this is more suited to maintenance / slow weight loss, but keeping control of my obviously inherent basal hyperinsulinemia (body chucking out more insulin than it should, leading to obesity, insulin resistance and eventually T2D) that causes the carb addiction is very important to this next phase for me.

• posted by Spuddy61
    on

Thanks all. Maybe I’ll just have one carb rich meal and go straight to bed..☹😄

Please log in or register to post a reply.