Not too much to lose, but not seeing an immediate impact.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi all
    I bought the book largely because I had managed to put on a stone an a half in weight since about 2012 (when I very successfully completed the Dukan diet). I know about low carb, and high protein diets (thanks Tim Ferriss), and am relatively fit and active, but efforts to lose weight didn’t seem to work, and somehow I was finding myself having cravings for eating bread, and also eating in secret.

My last blood test (about 18 months ago) was fine in terms of blood sugar, but OH is on metformin and I could see that if I carried on as I was doing – yearning for food, focusing on food, and not eating the right things – that I could go that way too.

I’m interested to set a challenging target for myself – I’m (female) 5ft 4in, and would like to get to 9 stone which needs me to lose 21 lbs. I didn’t reach that weight in 2012, stopping at about 9st 6lbs, but it would be great to get to 9 stone and see if the weight around my back and shoulders (never have seen why fat round there is a good idea) will drop off.

I’m nearly at the end of the second week, and haven’t seen a dramatic weight loss – would have been great to see 10 stone again!

So I’m not particularly heavy at the moment, and whilst I’m finding the diet absolutely fine (given up bread and sugar and fast release carbs and creating recipes for myself), walking miles and drinking lots, I wonder if others have managed to see a bigger drop in weight early on, when there’s not so much to lose?

On the other hand, I’m feeling so much more in control, which is great.

Good luck to others following the BSD!

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Hi Igorasusual I saw your post and thought that we could be twins! I am the same height and similar weight and would like to get down to 9st 7 at least. I did the Dukan diet too ๐Ÿ™‚

I am considering doing the blood sugar diet now as it seems a bit more relaxed than the Dr Hyman 10 day detox. I just finished it and lost 3.5 lbs only (down to 10 10 approx) when most it seems, from the book reviews, can lose more so I relate to feeling a bit disappointed when you really put the work in and see few results. Like you it takes a few weeks for me to see any change in my body.

I was just wondering how has it gone for you since, would you recommend the BSD? I like my wine and maltesers on the couch on Friday nights, and have indulged too much these last 6 months so hence my search for diet I can stick to and see results.

Cheers
    Sydneygirl

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Sidneygirl

Well, here I am in week 7, 17lbs down and 5 to go. Feeling great about the BSD, confident about that last 5 lbs, and the key addition is to look carefully at the carbs within the plan

I got MyFitnessPal app, and also looked at ketosis sites (there’s one I used whose link I’ll post when not on iPhone) to set balance of targets for carbs, fat and protein. The key thing is to understand that you do need to eat plenty of good fat.

I keep my carbs to 20gm per day (many people here have good results under 50gm), and have bought some Ketostix which help me simply check if I am in ketosis and burning fat.

I found that I was losing inches but sometimes not weight, and the Ketostix told me that the fat was going from somewhere (round my organs, I think) so it was easy to relax. I’ve been told the fat goes from the most dangerous spots first and sadly the “belly wodge” is often last.

I’ve enjoyed the food thoroughly, stuck to some enjoyable standbys – eg baby spinach, courgettes – added in lots of chillis, and generally been aware of the nutritional contents.

I intend to see if I can get to the 9st target – can’t see why not – and then maintain a low carb diet (prob c 75gm per day) for life, obviously building up the calories.

BSD is simple and has led me to further research which is very illuminating.

Hope that helps and good luck!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    This is the calculator I used to work out target percentages/grams of carbs, fat and protein on MyFitnessPal – there are others.

Good luck!

• posted by Izzy
    on

Well done Igorasusual, you’ll say goodbye to those 5lb’s soon I expect ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Hi Igorasusual,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, I really appreciate your feedback on the BSD. And wow what an outcome, 17lbs in 7 weeks, well done you! That sounds fantastic, you must be delighted with that. I ran down the shops earlier to get the book, there was a 30 week wait on it in the library so I thought it would best to go get it myself, its certainly in demand in Australia.

Thanks for all those tips regarding the ketostix and the fitness pal link. I have the app so it will be useful to put in the right percentages to see where Im at.

I feel really encouraged to do BSD now. I would love it if my hubby would do it too as he would like to lose a couple of stone but doesn’t like many kinds of veg so he finds healthy eating hard to sustain.

Thanks again, and best of luck with the last 5lbs, sounds like you are determined to get there so as you say no reason why its not possible.

BSD here I come!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Thank you Izzy – one of the benefits of this is feeling so much better and also more in control!

Sydneygirl, I think well worth trying, good luck on your journey!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi all

Just to say another pound off this morning so 9st 4 or 130lbs – I keep myself motivated by not looking at the fractions of a pound. If it says 9st ‘something’, then I count it as that. And if the next morning it goes up a smidgen, I still count the lower weight. Works for me.

Very stubborn ‘belly wedge’ though! Have some challenging and core-strength-building exercises which I need to get doing…..somehow I can never schedule in the right time to do them. Have either ‘just had something to eat’, ‘just had something to drink’, ‘just have to go and do something else’. How odd is that. Bit like working at home, which is the best way I know to get housework done…..

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Well done, good to hear the needle keeps moving when you are so close to goal.

I’m the same re exercise, if I don’t do it before breakfast then I find there’s always something getting in the way.

Last month I paid for a video exercise stream, each section is 20 mins long and I want to use it during the BSD at least 3 times a week. Getting up to do it at 7am is my only barrier…

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

And the best possible wishes and encouragement to you for your 7am workouts! ๐Ÿ™‚

I am looking forward to getting back to running. Not quite started yet, but watch this space !

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi Igorasusal and Sydneygirl,
    Your posts I am hoping are the encouragement I need. I am the same height but weigh about 11,4. I have been exploring paleo for about 12mths and had got down to 10,3 last year. Had a bit of a medical scare which ended up with surgery and some recuperation time. I am so cross with myself as managed to stay in the 10s post surgery without any exercise and then kind of fell into a ‘I’m well, why not eat faze’! As a bit of a post health medical scare reaction my hubby and I are splurging and going on hols to Italy and Greece and I really don’t want to be looking at all those awful ‘did I really look like that’ photos after our hols. I bought the BDS book about a month ago, and just haven’t committed myself to the diet yet. So today is the day as we actually now go in 8 weeks!
    Hope your going well with the last 5lbs Igorasusal and I would love to hear how your going Sydneygirl.
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Welcome Julie13, I’m sure the BSD will work for you!

Measure as well as weigh, have some clothes to test yourself with, and focus on keeping the “good” carbs low as well as eating good fats to fill you up, and protein. And drink, drink, drink.

Very best of luck – keep us posted! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Julie13

This works. I’m 27 weeks in and still losing weight. I echo everything Igorasusual says. Also, some of have to keep our carb intake really low, while others can cope with more.

I’m just back from a holiday in Italy and even lost 2 pounds during the holiday. I stayed with friends and we ate out several times. Calorie counting wasn’t possible but I stuck with the low-carb Mediterranean style of eating as well as watching portion sizes. Hope this helps.

• posted by Julie13
    on

Thanks for your welcome Igorasusual! Day 1 has gone fine food wise and although I missed my before work exercise, I made sure I did an hour when I came home from work. I am interested to learn more about ketosis, so plan to look at the app you recommended. I have a little straight skirt and some jeans that I plan to use as my guide, but I will follow your advise and measure myself. Thanks for your encouraging response. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi Captainlynne,
    Well done for continuing to eat healthy on holiday, I’ll use you as my inspiration!!
    I am very much an emotional eater and a if I’m standing and just happen to nibble on something it doesn’t count kind of an eater, so I’m trying to be really aware of food as nourishment for my body not as a treat or as just something to do.
    My goal is to do BSD800 for 8 weeks and then continue on a low carb diet I guess for life!!
    Wish me luck ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Hi Julie13! Congrats on starting, it’s my first day too ๐Ÿ™‚ happy to keep you updated, it will be nice to hear how you go too. Today went ok, not too hungry. I think because I haven’t had alcohol and bread for two weeks during my previous Dr Hyman detox that I’m not feeling so deprived. The BSD diet has lots of variety too compared to the detox, having dairy back on the menu for me really helps.

It’s great that you have the holiday goal. I’m aiming for my wedding day weight for my 5 year wedding anniversary in 8 weeks time. I’m feeling excited and motivated that this diet will bring results.

Captainlynne, good to hear you are still losing on your journey, 27 weeks wow!

The community here is so nice and friendly, everyone is so encouraging.

Good luck to us all!

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Day 5 and I’m down from 10 8 on Monday to 10 6 already. It could be that I have a lot less food in me but It’s a great start. I haven’t been measuring which I should be because I want to fit into my clothes again so losing inches is going to be important. I will get a measuring tape today. Look forward to Monday when it’s my first full week 1 weigh in.
    Keeping lunches simple with cruditรฉs and hommous and tinned sardines. I like this diet.

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi sydneygirl,

Thanks for sharing your goal in your earlier post. That sounds like a great goal. Have you got your anniversary celebration outfit planned or will you splurge on a new outfit to match your new weight loss?
    My results so far match yours, day 5 and have gone down 2lbs. I think I’ve kept more or less to the 800 calories, and although I tend to usually do a mix of strength and cardio, I have upped my exercise a bit. I also forgot to measure but as strange as it seems I’m sure some jeans are slightly looser.
    Making some hommus is on my list to do, I’m a bit nervous though as tend to eat it too much if it’s a help yourself kind of food. I made a chicken and veg frittata which I portioned and froze and then have with a couple of cherry toms for lunch. Breakfast I just have my homemade chicken broth and then tea some protein and veg. I started drinking Kombucha last year and so I occasionally have a small glass ( 200ml = 22cal) either before tea when my hubby has a beer, or after tea to stop the post tea desire for something sweet. Plan to do some cooking and be a bit more creative, but I just find its so simple to stay to the 800 this way.
    Like you I am enjoying the diet, my hubby isn’t working this wkend and we have some friends coming down so hopefully will make good eating choices.

Have a great weekend and keep up the good work
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Hey Julie13
    I have a few nice dresses in the wardrobe that I know my husband loves to see me in so Im hoping to wear one of them ๐Ÿ™‚ In saying that I think its a good idea to get some really nice new pieces for the wardrobe as my weight loss progresses. Ive not been dressing so smart lately with the extra weight and some nice new clothes would be a good boost to the self esteem. I definitely want to dump a few clothes out of the wardrobe too.

Well the hommus I bought at the start of the week was a nice shop bought one, it was a 220gr tub. It was very hard to tell how much I was eating from it in one sitting at lunch. After I finished it off today I looked back at my fitness pal diary to know how many times I had it. Based on that I divided it by 4 and I had more than I had guestimated so had to adjust in the diary for each day ๐Ÿ™ So yes I have that problem too in going a bit nuts! Also I had to have breakfast in work one morning and didnt have time to measure the almond butter out of the jar so I took it with me to dip apple slices into. Divine but was not sure where the 2 tablespoons ended!

My calories are little bit up then 800 on some days too but I think it takes a little bit adjusting. Against my better judgement I had a starter and main course last night when I was at a greek restaurant but OH was having one so i didnt want to sit there looking at him having calamari! I ordered a parmesan rocket salad, then had a whole snapper with steamed veg so I stayed healthy choices. The fish was cooked beautifully. It was too much for one person, definitely over the 800 so will have to go easy this weekend.

Oh and well done on the exercise, I cycle to work everyday so thats my saviour in that regard but doing that for 4 days a week over 2 years means my body is quite used to it now and I need something that challenges me a little bit more. Im hoping that I get motivated next week to start the HIIT in the book or with the video streaming I bought in May. Its spread over 8 weeks too so it couldnt be a better match to the BSD, only 20 minutes a day, 6 days a week, if only I just got around to doing it! Heres the link if anyone is interested http://evolution20videos.com/programs/evolution20-phase-1-2. I was sorry I couldnt get the dvds but they didnt post to Australia unfort. Setting it up to watch on an ipad is a little tricky and hoping the modem isnt having a slow day ๐Ÿ™‚

Have a great weekend too Julie13 and best of luck!

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Sorry for the super long post, it kinda turned into a journal entry!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done Sydneygirl, looks like you are managing stuff really well!

I can share that after 7 weeks and major trying on session last night, I fit into all my old clothes and more importantly look good in them (in my eyes, you know what I mean). Feel great – after all that wanting to do it, but not really knowing how – and in 7 weeks!

You will get there too! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Thanks Igorasusual ๐Ÿ™‚ Wow that must have been very satisfying to get back into all your clothes, kudos to you! I know 7 weeks doesn’t seem so long but part of me wants to press fast forward to get there! I think if I set some small milestones and mark them with something cool it will help the time pass and give me something to look forward to and focus on.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Sydneygirl, for me it feels like only yesterday when I was desperate to get under 10 stone (good I noted some of this down, otherwise I’d truly think it was very recent – in fact I broke that barrier on 28th May).

This morning 9st 3lbs, which is another 1lb lost since last Sunday, 13% of starting body weight. As I’m getting closer and closer to target my main focus has been really upping the liquid even more – this week I’ve been having at least 4litres per day, with accompanying effects!

I think the only thing to do is week by week, get your foods counted and sorted out, keep the carbs low, find a few favourite menus (I’ve never eaten so much chilli in my life, now absolutely love it!), and watch the measurements as well as the weight.

If I can do it, you surely can. Yes, mark those milestones!

Onwards and downwards! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Thanks for the encouraging words Igorasusual, it’s very kind of you to share that. I will keep that in mind and will try more liquids aswell, something I find hard to keep on top on. I love herbal tea but I probably don’t drink enough water. Onwards and downwards for sure! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

And one further thing to encourage you – I was LOOKING much slimmer way before the weight came off too much.

So you may see some results quicker than you think. Fingers crossed ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi sydneygirl,

I think planning on adding something to your wardrobe that you feel extra good in sounds like an excellent plan. I always think it’s nice for us but also nice for our partners as if your like me if I like the way I look it seems to reflect in my mood and behaviour.
    Pleased in not the only one that finds dips etc hard to manage the portion control!
    I’m impressed with your cycling to work, I’ve always found bike riding a bit of a chore so always admire those that I see cycle past me! I think it would be a great boost if you could do HIIT, as you say your body gets used to whatever your regular exercise is and so really responds when you do something different. Thanks for sending the link. I read somewhere that adults saying they don’t have time to exercise is like a child saying a dog ate my homework! So I’m trying really hard to take responsibility and not make excuses. Last night I just did some floor strength exercises while watching tv as had walked earlier in the day. We have stairs in our house and as silly as it seems sometimes I just go up and down them a few times in the tv ad if I’ve had a long day and don’t want to do any ‘real’ exercise!
    Well done for your healthy food choices at the Greek restaurant. Personally I think to persevere with this type of eating that i will need to have days when I focus on the occasion rather than the exactly calories I should be eating. so I too make the same kind of choice that you did. Yesterday we went out with friends for lunch the menu was very limited and to be honest I didn’t want to tell these friends I was watching what I ate so in the end I ordered avocado and fetta on sourdough. It was yummy! I’d only had my broth and half a dozen almonds before lunch and then for tea I just had some left over green veg with the tiniest bit of chicken, so when I worked out my daily calories I was still on 800.
    Fingers crossed this week I’ll be down in the 10s.
    Let me know how you go Monday.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi Igorasusual,
    Hope you don’t mind me commenting on your post to sydneygirl, but just wanted to congratulate you. To still be losing at the nearly 8 week mark, particularly when you haven’t much to lose is amazing. Will you continue after the 8 weeks are up or move on to more of a maintenance?
    I have two weeks off work coming up so will plan to follow your advise and increase my water intake, as won’t need to worry about the effects!

Thanks for your encouraging posts

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Igorasusual, looking thinner will help in the short term for sure ๐Ÿ™‚

Julie13 good on you getting started on the exercise, not sitting down for the adverts is a good habit, one which I could adopt easily, taking breaks on Netflix might be harder:) I have been wondering if I should cancel it cos it’s too easy to binge watch and stay immobile for too long.

Last night was hard, especially because it was Saturday. Even on the detox I could have nuts as a snack watching Tv on the couch in the evening because there was no calorie counting, now it’s just me and herbal tea ๐Ÿ™‚ time for me to make new habits I think.

Weigh in tomorrow morning eek, will have to stay focused this evening. Thank you, you are all helping me stay accountable!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Julie

Thanks for your kind comments!

My 8 weeks stops end Minday, in theory. Next Friday we are off to Northumberland with the family for a self-catering walking -focused holiday, so the catering will change a bit.

My son is a Demon

at baking sour dough, and may bring his starter with him. And the evenings will be more social – even if we are cooking ourselves – so there will be wine etc. (And card games, films, and jigsaw!)

So.
    I think I will continue to do my 20g carb (not so focused on precise calories) until we go, and then up the carbs to 50g per day which I think will be absolute luxury for me, whilst still no bread, refined carbs etc. I love sourdough to eat but have noticed before that the after effects (lethargy) are not good.

I am keen to see what effects long mountain walks (bit more demanding than my current exercise regime on the flat) will have. Will be taking chicory and cheese slice to roll whilst the others have sandwiches.

After the hol I am going to see where the little roll of belly fat and slightly larger thighs have gone – nowhere, probably — and then do 5:2 with 50-75g of carbs for the 5, and 20g carb and prob one meal per day up to c 600cal for the 2.

But will see how I feel.and what works best. Am never going back to refined carbs. If there is some really great bread – we had some wonderful stuff from a local bakery in Lyme Regis on a couple of trips – I might have a slice. But otherwise not.

Sorry for long post!

Very best wishes to all. I do want everyone to succeed as I think this way of eating is the answer to so many people’s health problems and is hugely enjoyable too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Just one other thing. All this carb/calorie counting has made it clear how much food I NEED to maintain weight. And really, it’s not a lot. I can have smaller, delicious meals, well within the reasonable amount allowed.

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

So I weighed in today and was actually only 1.5lbs down this week. kinda hoping for more but I think the 2nd week will be better potentially although I have to go out Friday and Saturday next weekend :๐Ÿ˜ณ So hopefully temptation can be avoided!
    Still a 7lb loss all the same since I started eating better with the detox 3 weeks ago so it’s definitely heading in the right direction.

The camping trip sounds great Igorasusual.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done Sydneygirl.

Keep chipping off the pounds and you will get there!

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi sydneygirl,
    Netflix wise I make it that I only watch my shows ( the ones my OH doesn’t watch with me) only with exercise, I’m lucky that I have a tv and treadmill in a room so I either go in there or literally walk around the lounge room!
    Your combined 7lb loss is great and after detoxing strictly I would have thought 1.5 is also a good loss. You would well and truly be feeling the difference in your clothes.
    I on the other hand had spent the previous few weeks eating paleo Brecky, lunch n dinner and feeling very self righteous but ignoring the fact totally that I was refusing a sandwich for lunch but eating the crusty bit with butter standing in the kitchen, eating a couple of icecreams when out and about and drinking a glass of wine most nights! As a result my weight loss is a bit higher as I would have retained lots of fluid from the alcohol, I weighed this morn and I’ve lost 4lb, which I’m thrilled with. Like you I have a few social things coming up so a bit nervous about that.

Well done with your weight loss and for eating healthy for four weeks, I’ll use you to inspire me over my first four weeks!

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi Igorasusual,

Your family walking holiday sounds wonderful. Although some of the uphill walks may be hard going I’m sure being surrounded by beautiful scenery and accompanied by family will make it an enjoyable, as well as healthy, experience.
    Thank you for sharing your plans for your next stage of eating healthy, it sounds like you have it all worked out. I think excepting that you may still enjoy an occasional good quality and tasty high carb product, like bread, is so sensible and realistic.

I agree entirely re the quantity of food we actually need, I haven’t felt hungry or had any negative reactions to a low calorie intake. My main obstacle is still ( and I think this will always be the case) my emotional reaction to food and the connections I make between certain foods and love, security, family, friends etc. I’m at 11 st today, a loss of 4lbs over 8 days, so very pleased with the first week. The rest of the week will be tough as have 4 different social events at peoples homes, so will have to except that my weight may be up a bit by the weekend. I’ll eat clean and at a minimum in between times and hope that it balances out. I might even try not weighing again until next Monday and then won’t get the low feeling through putting on again!

Thanks for your positive and supportive post.
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done Julie for your 4lb loss, that’s great! On your way!

Keep a cool head at the family events – fizzy water or just water before you go to fill you up? Looking for the good stuff amongst the treats? Only having a little portion, instead of a whole whatever it is? You can do it!

And even if there is something so tempting you absolutely have to succumb, then you are right, you can get back on the wagon as soon as you’re able. May be interesting to note any effects you have from the extra sugar/carbs you’ll be taking on….I know people here have tried stuff, and then thought “well, that wasn’t worth it” at the after effects.
    Which helps!

Good luck! Keep on at it ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Congrats on the loss Julie13! Well done you, you are certainly on your way and you will help inspire me too ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Igorasusual, your helping to keep me motivated and accountable!

I can relate to the emotional connection to food, it’s definitely the hard one to crack. I am feeling a real need to eat this evening, just feeling a little tired and out of sorts for some reason. I made chicken and vegetable soup and wanted to devour the whole pot! It’s in the Tupperware for tomorrow lunch and I’m on the couch so disaster avoided. Might be time for an early night.

After my detox I’m back on the coffee like a demon. They have almond milk in the cafe which is only 60 calories per serving (I scanned the carton using myfitnesspal!) so I don’t think it’s so bad…

• posted by Julie13
    on

It must be the night for it sydneygirl! I’ve spent the last two hours convincing myself not to have anything to eat, it’s my worse night so far in relation to desiring food. Like you I am going to stay strong and go to bed early.
    Sounds like you have coffee sorted!
    We can do this ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

What is it with the late night munchies? That was when – in my old life – I used to have two large slices of bread and butter just before bed. No wonder I couldn’t wake up in the morning and felt so groggy.

Still have snack cravings but now ‘binge’ on baby plum tomatoes (mmm yummy) and also cheese. I have taken to eating a small wedge of St Agur blue cheese with a spoon! I swear it is just like a piece of cheesecake! So long as the carbs are low, the calories very rarely get much over 1000, and that (on average) doesn’t seem to affect me.

God bless the fat. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Just wanted to update you that I am now on 9st 1lb, 21 lbs down and 14%+ lost of starting weight.

8.5 weeks of keeping carbs low seems to be the recipe of success.

Saw my daughter last night for the first time in just over a month and she is totally incredulous at results.

Hope things are going well for you, Julie and Sydneygirl. Don’t give up – it CAN be done ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Izzy
    on

I dream of being sround 9st so hopefully one day I will follow you there! Well done for getting there you have done so well!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Thank you, Izzy, apologies for delay have been out of Internet and phone range in deepest Northumberland in Coquetdale.

Best wishes to you as you pursue all your creative abilities in your new loft studio – you are doing marvellously ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Hi everyone

Ive been reading the updates on my phone but am better at writing on the laptop and only got around to it now.

Igorasual, thanks for the update, great to hear you are still achieving weight loss 8.5 weeks in!

Ive been finding it hard to keep it under 800 for quite a few days last week however I still managed a loss of half pound so Im down to 10st 6lbs as of today. Im going to have my weekly weigh in on wednesdays now because that seems to be the day I kind of ‘settle’ so I will let you know if it changes again then ๐Ÿ™‚

Friday was a night out at the indian with about 10 people who all thought the banquet was a better idea than the a la carte so it meant there was rice, naan and all the creamy dishes on table. I didnt know the group well enough (husbands work crowd) to say no, I want the a la carte! I could have orderd much better.. funnily enough the next night I met a few of them and they were like I wished we went a la carte too…anyway I resisted an overload of carbs for the most part. Someone (ie my husband’s boss) plonked down a glass of prosecco in front of me and I was like darn it! Very hard to push it back in the situation, but I was very assertive in no refills so I was able to stick to one. First drink in the last 4 weeks!

Rest of the weekend was fine but still hit the 900 mark many days.

Generally I am feeling much better 4 weeks in, (Im counting my detox) 8lbs down in total so clothes are starting to feel better. I feel lighter and confident. I was motivated to start my 20 minute video workout when I came home today, I seem to feel more awake then and warmed up after the cycle home from work so maybe I will try and stick to that routine as much as possible.

Early to bed tonight I think.

Hope you are going alright Julie13 and everyone else!

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Tuesday morning update: down another 1.5lbs!
    Finally broke through the 10 6lbs, seems what I have been doing has been working regardless.

Also meant to say I have been taking some new supplements advised by Dr Hyman for estrogen metabolising as most of my weight goes on my hips, might be too soon to see a difference with them but yay this is a feel good day!

• posted by Julie13
    on

Congratulations sydneygirl that is brilliant news on your weight loss. Great to hear that you have started the 20 min workouts and it sounds like you managed the eating out really well.
    Today was my first official weigh for a week, I’ve put on .6 of a pound. I knew that the last week would be one where I couldn’t, actually that is wrong I should say where I chose to not strictly follow the 800. Part of me had hoped I would have stayed the same weight but that’s ok. On a positive front I’ve certainly kept active so hoping that by next week I will have dropped the .6 and fingers crossed another lb or two!
    We go away in just under 6 weeks, I would really love to have lost 9lbs, so that is my short term goal. That would get me to a weight where my favourite summer clothes fit.
    I’ve been on an estrogen replacement patch since Jan, so unfortunately don’t think the supplements would suit me, but keep us updated as to how you feel they are working.

Keep up the great work

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi Igorasusual,
    That is an incredible result and shows that it is a fallacy to presume that you only get significant weight loss when you have loads of weight to lose.
    I am going to go back and search all your posts to help inspire me and get any extra tips!
    I haven’t yet followed any of the recipes in the book and just try and aim for 800 calories and low carb. I will try and see if I can more accurately tally up my carbs, as although I use myfitness app I don’t always get a carb result as I just match the best I can to someone else’s food entry….if that makes sense.

How lovely to see your daughter’s reaction.

Congratulations on your hard work and determination

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Hey julie13 good on you for keeping motivated. Like you I know there are going to be times that it will be nigh on impossible to stick to the 800 especially with socialising and it’s better to accept its not going to be a great loss week. I was relieved to hear that our Saturday night out last week with friends did not include dinner especially after the Indian on the Friday night. I would have struggled to stay motivated. I’ve been good at avoiding alcohol, just having a fizzy water has been plenty and I always have a good enough time without it, so far! My husband doesn’t know what to make of me without wine and he’s a non drinker ๐Ÿ™‚

My Wednesday is definitely a better weigh in day, I was just under 10 4 today. (Fist pump) ๐Ÿ™‚ This diet definitely works when it works so I’m sure you will reach your target weight in time for your holiday. Also knowing Igorasusual has done so well is really motivating, I still feel I’m far from that kind of success but who knows where we will be after our eight weeks๐Ÿ˜„

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hello all

Back from a week’s holiday in Northumberland with the family – just 1 lb up, back to 9st 2 lb this morning. It WAS more difficult eating out and also cooking for six, but I was generally happy making sandwiches for everyone for walks whilst eating cheese/smoked salmon wrapped round chicory for myself. Tasted wonderful at the top of a big hill, as most food does!!

The end of the week went a bit pear shaped as veg chilli (with lentils) – requested by the family – was a bit carb heavy for me, and also I ate up some of our fruit (apples/tangerines) before coming home and that seems to have thrown me out of ketosis completely for several days, which is interesting. Also had an Indian meal (no rice or breads) on our last evening. Maybe not quite enough liquids either?

So – plus points

– looking at myself in unfamiliar mirrors showed me just how much my shape had changed. More noticeable than at home.
    – daughter incredulous at further loss since she last saw me at the end of June. She said I was ‘tiny’ ๐Ÿ™‚
    – she took photo of me on Saturday which was the only photo I’ve ever had which makes me look thinner than I feel. It has had a number of ‘likes’ on FB ๐Ÿ™‚
    – complete wardrobe sort out yesterday (in the heat!!) confirmed that all smallest clothes now fit. Have thrown out larger ones, off to recycle them today

– and I suppose the amazing thing is that I can scarcely believe how quickly it has all happened, and that the change has been so easy. Almost doesn’t feel like me – that I will wake up tomorrow and be back to ‘not fat, but larger than I’d like’, and it’s all been a dream. Anyone else feel that way?

So next steps are to
    – get that further couple of pounds off to my initial 9 stone target
    – get a handle on exactly how many carb gms per day keeps me in ketosis and burning fat
    – start planning phase 2 maintenance, which I had guessed would be keeping to no refined carbs, upping calories a bit, keeping overall carbs low but increasing calories for 5 days and then lower calories for 2. Need to get the overall carb content in grams sorted for that.

Anyone still following this – please do keep on keeping on – IT WILL WORK!!

๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

Good morning BSD’ers

Im still hanging in there! I stayed the same weight this week but for reasons I know of. Im 10st 3 and quarter lbs as of this morning. Quite a few eating out/takeaways were had last week, all low carb but still more than the 800 so I wasnt expecting a great loss. Im also having a bit of trouble in the bathroom area without TMI. Ive been taking flax and a bit of herbal laxative but still not quite there in terms of where I would like to be on a daily basis. Anyhow Im ‘working’ on it.

Igorasusual well done on coming back from hols with no significant weight gain. I really admire your focus. Its a great idea to post your plus points good on you!

And another great idea to get rid of your bigger clothes, in past Ive left some roomier clothes in the wardrobe and I think thats sometimes a little bit detrimental because they are always there to fall back into.

Some of my learnings this week has been with eating out and takeaway, We had thai twice and Ive learned that the tom yum soup with veg or chicken can be a nice tasty main, I didnt feel deprived when others got their big stir frys and pad thai. People were oohing and aahing over my soup too! I didnt need to have a second starter which was my mistake. On both nights I could have just had the soup and been satisfied. Tex mex on the other hand, too many beans and very large portions. I had the ‘naked’ burrito which is without the floury tortilla and they were too quick to lash loads of black beans, no rice though mind you.

Heres to a good week, hope everyone else is going ok!

• posted by sydneygirl
    on

I weigh myself every day and although Wednesday is my proper weigh day I probably shouldn’t post the number on the scales on a Friday but I can’t help wanting to share my news!

I was down another 2lbs today! Now 10st 1 1/4

I was wondering when I might break through the 10lb 3lb barrier. The next goal always seems so far away and unreachable and then when it happens it’s like yippee! Getting into the 9’s will be the next achievement ๐Ÿ™‚

I probably should be upping my toning exercises now but often I just cannot get my head into it. I cycle to work still about 4 times a week so I’m not fully sedentary. Starting small maybe the trick….

And I’m still mostly eating more than 800 calories a day which amazes me as I’m still losing weight regardless. Eating lots of Brazil nuts, wonder if that has anything to do with it!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Well done Sydneygirl – keep on keeping on. It WiILL work.

Seems to take forever when you’re in the middle, then suddenly another milestone gone.

You will be in the 9 stone range soon!

Good luck everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi Both,

You are both doing so well, and it is lovely to read about your goals and perseverance.
    My news isn’t as positive the scales haven’t shifted at all. On a positive note I have noticed a change in shape and I am back fitting into a pair of jeans that I haven’t been able to since pre op. To be honest though I have done lots and lots of walking ( in addition to my normal mix of exercise) and historically I’ve always found that helps trim my hips and bottom, so not feeling confident about the change being due to following the 800.
    Actually my opening sentence is incorrect as I weighed myself this morning ( in kilos) and I’m up a tiny bit, which I was pretty devastated by…so do I think that’s ok one day they will go down or do I for the first time eat some sugary carbs… if your an emotional eater like me you’ve prob guessed I went for the artificial comfort of food..so now feeling cross and disappointed with myself. Only four weeks to go until my hols so I can’t see me reaching anywhere near my goal.

I’m going to try and not give up and hold on to the belief that the scales will eventually change, I’m certainly not ever actually hungry on the 800, so the intelligent part of me says you might as well keep going.

Well done again ladies
    Have a lovely weekend
    ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.