Not losing weight dispite sticking to 800 cals

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Eric Thrib
    on

Hi all
    Having a small problem I don’t understand. My husband and I are both on the diet and this is he beginning of our third week. While I have lost 19lbs in the first two weeks my husband has only lost 1 kg ( 1lb 2 oz.) he is only having what I feed him and has given up his 10 pints of Guiness a week – understandably he is very disappointed!

He doesn’t have much exercise ( I walk our dogs) so we have bought a treadmill and begun to use that for us both but mainly Brian to exercise. As we are both 68 we are starting gently with the intention to build up time and speed.

Can anyone explain why hubby hasn’t had the expected weight loss? By the way I’m a woman don’t be deceived by my email name !!!) here’s hoping Chris

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Oh my, that is fantastic weight loss. We are all different so no accounting for why you have lost more than hubby. I am a slow loser, only 5lbs in 3 weeks but I am not going to give up. Keep up the good work.

• posted by JenniferG
    on

Page 62, paragraph 1. Is it possible he’s eating more than you think he is? Maybe snacks at work? etc..?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Eric (Chris)

Two possibilities occur to me

1) is he losing via measurements? How are his clothes fitting? Looser? Does he ‘look thinner’? Sometimes it’s that the fat is going from the visceral stuff round the organs, and then the weight seems to plateau whilst you’re actually getting thinner.
    2) are you keeping a count of the carbs you’re eating? I know you’re following the BSD no ‘bad carbs’ i.e. no bread, flour, rice, potatoes etc., but it does seem that restricting the carbs you eat within the 800 calories can ‘jump-start’ weight loss.

If you use an app like My Fitness Pal, you can check the carbs, fat and protein within you calories. Then you can target under 50g of carbs per day (this seems to work for most people here) within what you’re eating, and that will certainly help your OH lose weight.

Apparently some people are ‘less tolerant’ to coping with carbs and changing their metabolism to burn more fat from their fat cells – so maybe you are able to cope with what you’re eating in terms of carbs, and your OH isn’t?

I know when I started this I was eating too many carbs within my veggies and was surprised to see exactly how many. It changes what you choose to eat when you have MFP telling you how many carbs there are – I decided, after looking and being astonished, that I would swerve apples and just not have any during my 8 weeks. I preferred to spend the calories on less carby things!

My OH and I are operating on 20-30g of carbs per day (you can experiment with this to see what suits you under the 50g I mentioned), and have seen very good success.

Hope this helps 🙂

• posted by Lindsay777
    on

The only thing I can say is that everything is individual. First of all you should both talk to a nutritionist. She’ll select the right diets for you. You should join physical training to your nutrition, don’t forget about it. Oh, and you can read this https://gettingclose.net/anti-bugs-dropping-weight in case you follow those diet myths which everybody think are true.

• posted by Arcanarose
    on

I had the same problem. I read some posts on the forum and made adjustments to my diet menu and routine. I applied them and the next day both my BMI and weight finally dropped.

Somebody suggested a keto calculator and I found that even though my calories were ok, my carbs exceeded my daily calculated allowance for my height, weight and lifestyle.

Here is the link to the Keto calculator: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I also added daily exercise.

10 minutes of High Intensity Training [HIIT] on my Elliptical Cross Trainer in the morning before breakfast.

And 25 minutes of activity, either dancing or the Elliptical Cross Trainer to make up the 10,000 steps in the evening.

Here is a chart to help you calculate a variety of activities into steps: https://starport.jsc.nasa.gov/upload/Documents/Table_of_activities-conversion_to_steps.pdf

• posted by malc
    on

Having read other people view my 9lbs in 4weeks is not too bad and my blood sugar has halved so that Ihave stopped my insulin and reduced medication,4weeks to go
    Malc

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Many of us are slow losers Malc. Your 9lb in 4weeks is good going. I’ve lost 17lb in 14wks, so even slower than you, but every fraction of a pound lost is progress in the right direction. You have made a brilliant difference to your blood sugar and necessary meds. Keep going and let us know how you get on in the coming weeks.

Please log in or register to post a reply.