Not giving up in November ! One week at a time beginning 15th November 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Just sharing with Verano… I reckon we all have those moments when we feel a bit out of control, sort of disconnected, not really knowing why…
    Maybe just not feeling satisfied whatever we eat ?
    So what do you do in those moments , folks ?

For me I have to reach the point where I recognise that it is happening and decide to stop the rot .
    Books and podcasts help me ,reading or listening to sound nutritional advice about the dangers of sugar ,carbage and processed foods. They help to put me back into the right mind set otherwise my mind plays stupid tricks and makes me eat !!

So for the new weekly thread would it be useful to share your experiences, how you get through the slump, what works for you ?

Or just share whatever you want to share, most importantly just keeping going in November .

Wendy, sunshine-girl and SunnyB XXX

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Wendy getting your sentiment about not enjoying food. If I feel dissatisfied I cant really go off plan because I have hardly anything in the house that would be considered like that. Chris has biscuits but they dont interest me. I guess my experiences are not the same as I never feel like I am out of control. Maybe too controlled. I guess I have what is known as orthorexia which is a fear of certain foods. Not really an eating disorder more something to keep me healthy. I just know the feeling will pass if I fancy something nice. I will confess to having the occasional Werthers Original but that is more when I have low blood sugar. I also have one square of very dark chocolate after dinner each evening, I eat it with a glass of very cold water and that is my satisfying treat.

Will report in tomorrow. Think I have had a very good week.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Like Verano and yourself Wendy, I have been know to fall down the carbagw rabbit hole and usually, there is an emotional root to it happening. Sometimes, I just need to hit rock bottom, i.e. get to the point where I feel physically ill from my carb intake, before I can pull myself back again. Luckily, since finding BSD and having been low carb for several years now, it doesn’t take too long for that to happen these days. Getting to that point gives me a wake-up call and helps me turn things around.

As you say, mindset is key and taking back control is not always easy, even when we are ready for the challenge. Getting back to basics and recording everything consumed, is the best way I know to tackle that. It gets me back in touch with what real food and proper portion sizes look like again. Grazing is a more difficult problem to resolve though I think and probably needs a different strategy…. mine is just not having anything I’d consider a treat available.

All that said, my mindset is still in ‘away from home’ mode and so I’m conscious I’m still eating larger portions, more carbs than normal and consuming more alcohol than I would at home. I am however, making the effort to tighten control, mainly using TRE and trying to make good food choices, in prep for getting properly back on track early next month.

Hope to see lots of people ‘Not Giving Up In November’, joining in on this thread for the week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning.
    Wise words.
    Thank you.
    You’ve all made me really think about what I’m doing.
    I don’t really have too many carby things in the house but I do have crackers and crispbreads. I just don’t seem satisfied with what I’m eating at the moment. Yesterday, for example, I had yogurt and berries around 11am, then around 12ish I had 2 round Fincrisp, quite big, with mayo and a good chunk of cheese, then half an hour later, when I obviously wasn’t ‘hungry’ I had two thin Fincrisp with peanut butter. That to me I’d just totally mindless eating.
    As I write this I realise that it’s ‘boredom’ eating. I need to take on board what you all say …… weigh and record, read, read, read and be honest with myself about what I really , really want. How much I want it. How hard I’m prepared to work to reach my goals.
    I guess I just need to take my own advice and keep in mind the ‘Making New Habits Stick’ list.
    Ahhhh, phew …. well that feels better.
    Another Tuesday, new week, clean slate, start again with renewed vigour and just keep on keeping on …….
    Have a good week.

on

Yes Verano, a clean slate. I weighed in this morning 3,5lbs lighter. Persistence and all that.

Our pool is absolutely freezing and too dangerous for even crazy me without a wetsuit so tomorrow I will be heading to our nearest indoor heated pool for a swim with the oldies.

I dont want anyone to think I am some sort of paragon of virtue when it comes to food. I find it quite easy to stick to low carb but for special reasons. Firstly, my big downfall would be things like sausage rolls and pork pies. There are very few foods in France that I would be able to switch for English equivalents. They have their own versions but not so appealing to me. Second, I dont have a sweet tooth so hubbys Thursday cake purchase doesnt tempt me at all. Thirdly, if I am going to give in to temptation I would choose a few glasses of wine or a vodka and tonic. I generally keep it to once a month or so but it would be my go to. We are going to a quiz night on Friday and the food will be terrible (sorry but the French cant cook or at least not the things I like) however it will be all pastries and quiches so I will have my own small cool bag with a couple of chicken thighs to add to my plate. But there will be wine.

Have a good week all.

• posted by RubyG
    on

RubyG and hubby still here, headspace slightly better than previous weeks too.
    Weight yesterday was 12st 5.8lb, so back under the half stone mark but still over 12st which is not where I want to be. Hubby is back to 15st something too.
    Like many others have said, I need to re-find my why, and need to want the lower weight more than I want mindless eating.
    The mindless eating is generally low carb, that has become a way of life for us, but too much healthy food is still too much food and my weight reflects that. The cold weather has seen me making a lot more satisfying soups and stews or curries with the ever-present cauli rice.
    We have both had our flu jabs and covid boosters (plus having had covid last month), so hopefully we are protected for the winter.
    KOKO as SG would say.

on

Hi RubyG, glad you and hubby are still with us.

So much for my indoor swim. First of all I had a really bad night and was still awake at 6am so when the alarm went off at 8 am I had less than 2 hours sleep and didnt feel safe to drive – the irony of it, hubby doesnt let me drive but I was going to go out on my own. Secondly, when I did get up found we had a puncture so that is our task for the day. Changing the tyre and getting the old one fixed.

Small downward move on weight – just 0.1kg but within about a kilo of not being obese, just overweight. I am about to hit so many good numbers, under 71kg, under 11 stone and under the obese level. Silly things that matter to me.

Wendeg and Verano we need to get you into a good mindset. Dont ask me how as it is only you that knows what works for you. For me it is just being bloody minded and not giving in.

Have a good week.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Hi all I went to Edinburgh middle of October and with one thing and another I haven’t been keeping up with the weekly thread, so I’m back now 😁. I see a lot of you are feeling demoralised for want of a better word. Maybe it’s the time of year, I’m not 100% sure but I seem to remember it being the same this time last year, so remember this too will pass. Could it be the darker nights, it’s getting colder (harder to be good). The general state of the world! Your mojo will be back.
    As for me put on 8 lbs while away 😳🤭 and it seemed harder to shift it when I got back. I got down 3lbs then we went out for Sunday lunch as we still had a gift card from last Christmas to use. So back up 2 lbs☹️ I did a 24 hr fast yesterday and am now only 1/2 lb off of target, but we are booked to go out again on Sunday for dinner and a Peter Kay tribute act, so guess more playing catch up next week. It’s a merry go round. However my BS was 5.9 mmol so in all 👍.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g just venting and reading all your wise words was enough to make me take stock and work out my priorities. Feel that I’m in a better place now, so thank you all.
    Ruby it’s always harder the 2nd, 3rd, 4th …… time around! I think the most important thing is to keep the carbs in control if you have T2 issues, the rest might just be a bit of vanity!
    Elle-Mae your blood sugar is good so that’s the positive. I think you could be right with the transition into ‘winter’ and the change in weather and short days. I think we all feel less ‘sparkly’.
    Spring and summer will return again! Just need to hang on in there!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I had a couple of days of not feeling so great this week as well. We’ve been under an inversion, so it’s been quite grey and cold. The local ski hill is high enough that it was sunny up there and warm enough that all their snow melted. My snow has diminished somewhat, but the ground is still pretty much covered. The last couple of days have been sunny, so my mood has really improved. I’m glad we do have the snow though as it does help make things a bit brighter.
    I’ve been continuing to feel a slow increase in my energy levels. I think it is a combination of eating better, but also that my periods have more or less stopped, and maybe my body is finally able to conserve iron. I’ll get tested again sometime in the new year to see if my levels have gone up or not. It would be so nice to get in the 50+ ug/L range. I’ve only once been as high as 49 after a very intensive supplementation regime and I felt invincible. What a difference it would make to go into the next farming season feeling like that! Currently it is making a difference to the state of my house. I’ve done a pretty thorough clean of the kitchen this weekend and the recycling is ready to go for tomorrow morning. Usually I’m scrambling at 7am to get it out to the end of the drive for pick up.
    I’m also feeling quite pleased with myself that I managed to avoid some of the pitfalls and impulse buys that had been happening with my weekly shop. Lots of good things went into my trolley this week. There is a compound called diosmin in the peels of citrus that is supposed to be helpful for lipedema, and seeing as we’re in citrus season now, it is reasonably affordable. So I stocked up on lemons and limes and have been enjoying a slice in my water.
    Wendy – yes compression can help with lipedema. I have some light compression capris sitting in an online shopping cart that I may purchase next week when I get paid. The lymph pumping yoga has helped some people so much that they were able to stop wearing their compression though. I was listening to a podcast this week with Megan Ramos and it seems that intermittent fasting may be somewhat helpful. At least for losing the non-lipedema fat. That is what is recommended to improve limb function as the lipedema fat is hard to lose without liposuction. People have noticed a big reduction in pain with low carb or keto diets though, so I’m hoping that getting back on track will help.

Please log in or register to post a reply.