Nordic Walking

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Frog
    on

I read an article in Saturday’s Guardian about Nordic Walking, I’ve always quite fancied it, and now that I’m getting fitter I thought it might be good to try.
    Has anyone here done it, or know of group Walks or instructors in the London area they’d recommend?

• posted by weescotty
    on

Frog, can’t help you with walks or instructors as I’m in Scotland. Quite a lots of folks here use the trekking poles – even in town. I find it helps you walk a bit quicker and apparently more calories are used. I can sense that happening as you seem to ‘push’ and ‘pull’ with your arms. Great for hauling yourself up inclines. I only bought one pole to test as I often have a camera while out for a walk and didn’t fancy juggling, dropping and leaving behind too many items. I got one for a fiver from Aldi ( they stock them about once a year you have to watch their specials ) and am considering going to an outdoor shop to upgrade when the stash under the mattress grows enough ( about £100?) At that price it would mean consulting a bit more with shop staff to get the right one for how it is going to be used.

• posted by ashleymac63
    on

I am a Nordic Walking instructor based in Wiltshire so not really near you (unless you fancy a weekend in the beautiful Marlborough Downs!) You can find a local instructor at https://exercise-anywhere.com or http://britishnordicwalking.org.uk/apps/store-locator

Treking poles or walking poles are not the same as nordic walking poles. Nordic poles are much lighter and have a special strap which you use to “push” the ground behind you like cross country skiing. You can go faster and further in the same time using many more muscles and hills are much easier.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Frog, I spotted a course being run at our nearest National Trust Estate (Wimpole Hall). It was in January and February this year and I could not manage to get there at that time. They are repeating it in October. They are during the week, so will depend on your other commitments – but many of the National Trust places are doing walks, parks runs etc open to all. I’ve sent you the link as an example https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/events/f4c90d45-cb1a-4fb8-919f-9920f9880a55/pages/details – it costs £40 for 4 lessons and there is a tutors name and contact details. If you have a NT place nearby they may do something similar and you will at least yet a local coaches name and be able to ask where else she/he teaches.
    Let me know if you find one – I am thinking about this one in October, not yet signed up!.

• posted by Frog
    on

thanks Weescotty

I used to use walking poles when I walked a lot a few years ago – I grew up in Essex, which is incredibly flat, so I don’t do hills very well, and the poles were great for hauling myself up hills, and giving more assurance as I edged down steep bits.
    I think the nordic poles are longer, and apparently derived from cross country skiing – and as you say, you get a better whole body work out. There seem to be several different competing ‘professional’ associations, all very confusing!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Orchid, that’s fantastic, thank you

I know Wimpole – my sister used to live in nearby Therfield, and did a heavy carriage driving course there a while ago

If I can’t find anything closer, that would be a really good option.

My sister may want to come too, or I can tie going to the courses in with visiting her (she’s moved to Buntingford now)
    I found the instructors website – http://mandycoar.wix.com/nordic-walking#!beginner-classes/c66t

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Frog, do let me know if you decide to join the Wimpole one – I may see you there! I have bookmarked the website! If you are both going to join one of her courses not at Wimpole, let me know as I may be able to take a place so there are enough numbers.

• posted by Frog
    on

I certainly will do Orchid – will be fun to meet up!

• posted by Jazzy Sammy
    on

Hi Frog

Try www/meetup.com They are all over the world. They have all types of walking groups. I found the Nordic speed too strenuous on my knees and shins.

I started slower walking casually at 3 miles per hour for an hour each day, more on the weekends, enjoy the scenery (also my mindfulness) dropped my sugars from 6.8 to 4.7 in only several weeks. I had a knee injury, stopped walking for a week and my sugars went back up to 6.6 within one week. The knees have improved so time to walk again.

Perhaps just walking is the key and not if it is casual, Nordic or a marathon.

Not to mislead, but the drop in my sugars also coincided with a 5% weight loss and drastic change to low CHO diet.

All the best,

JS

• posted by Frog
    on

Thanks Jazzy Sammy – I did join meetup a while go, and got bombarded with tons or junk, so kind of abandoned it, but you’re right, it’s worth another look.

Orchid – Mandy (Wimpole Hall walk leader) responded:
    “October is the next course I am running and it is run over 4 weekends starting Sunday 2nd October. However, the first course starting at 10.00am is almost fully booked so if it was for 3 people (you, your sister and your friend) then I would have to put on a second course which would then start at about 11.30am.”
    I am working today, but will check this evening to see if I can find anything sooner and closer to home – and check whether Lyn is interested in coming too, and let you know.

Good to know that she doesn’t overstuff the classes!

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi
    I replied quickly at lunchtime, but was in a bit of a rush
    Meetup did help me find two London nordic walking groups – one in Dulwich/Brockley area which is pretty good to get there from here (except yesterday, when stuffed up trains meant it took about three hours) and the other one is in Wandsworth.

I do walk – probably not regularly enough, but usually between 8000 and 13000 most days – living very centrally though, I get very bored with urban walking (was going to write street walking, and realised it doesn’t have the right connotations!) – and thought Nordic walking would be good for starting to get a bit speedier and active.
    I DO NOT RUN. or jog! EVER.
    Interesting that you found it hard on the knees – most things I’ve read suggest that it’s easy on joints.

I’ve made my mind up that I am going to do the training in Hertfordshire – if not til October, that gives me a bit more time to get fit, then I can join regular walks closer to home.
    I did a walk the other weekend that followed a short section of the London Ring Walk, so feeling quite inspired to do that – it’s in fifteen sections, but some are quite short, and I worked out that I should be able to do it in five days (not consecutive).

My back is better now, so I’m aiming to make a start on that next week.
    there – commitment!

• posted by Jazzy Sammy
    on

Glad you found a Nordic group.

Nordic was hard on my knees and shins because I was walking with people as much as 35 years younger than me 😉

It was a Meetup group who turned it into a race to beat their best times. Too fast for me.

However I still do think Nordic is wonderful.

• posted by orchid
    on

Frog – thank-you for getting that set up – yes it is great she is not loading the courses and even better, she is prepared to put on a second course!
    BTW – I have started walking with the West Herts Ramblers. I can’t do any other Sunday walks this month as I am doing Geophys those days, but there is a Tuesday walk 23rd starts 10am, Sarratt Church End WD3 6HE, I think it is about 5 miles and I am going to try joining a group that are walk the Hertfordshire Way. Next Monday there is a 10 mile walk – split 4.5 miles and 5.5 miles with lunch in the middle. It starts at Cholesbury, postcode HP5 2UH.
    If you are interested in either I can send you more details tonight!
    thanks again.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Orchid
    the Monday walk looks good – I found the website for the Hertfordshire Way group – I think I will try to come to that one!
    the weather is forecast to be good – but not too hot.
    Having found the link (was a bit mystified at first, because I couldn’t find it on the ramblers site, then re-read your post more carefully!) – I will contact the organiser directly. Look forward to meeting you then
    (I’m Donna, I won’t be introducing myself as Frog!)

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Frog,
    look forward to seeing you there – I’m Ruth!

• posted by Frog
    on

Brilliant, will catch up with you then about Wimpole Hall course

• posted by Frog
    on

Taster session organised for Saturday morning!

• posted by Frog
    on

I really enjoyed this, it was fantastic – taster session in Hyde Park
    Three of us were on the taster session – all of us had been thinking about it for a bit and nudged into it by the Guardian article last weekend.
    I really prefer exercise in the open air compared to being in a gym, and this was really sociable – although of course you can walk on your own once you know what you’re doing.
    I need to get poles straight away!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Was it easy FROG? Are yr legs tired now? X

• posted by Frog
    on

no, not especially tired – around 4,500 steps were with the Nordic poles, and stretching exercises at the end.
    I think I’m going to have a bath to forestall any stiffness though

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Frog,
    I have managed to sign up for a course using Nordic Poles in October – how are you getting on with your planning for courses?

• posted by Frog
    on

first Lesson today – really enjoyed it, despite the sweltering heat (even though we kept to shady bits, it was still really hot)
    Hampstead Heath is amazing – looking forward to rediscovering it!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

You really seem to enjoy this FROG and it must be so good for you!
    Hampstead Heath…good memories of going to pubs round there..i can only remember one name ( it was alongtime ago!) the Old Bull and Bush. Is there a Jack Straws Castle as well? X

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Yowzer
    yes, really enjoying it so far
    Jack Straw’s castle is no more – well not as a pub, it closed about six years ago.
    It’s now a gym and health club – the one where the Nordic walking runs from, so it was very easy to find.
    Apparently they still get people walk in from time to time, look very bemused and then either walk out again or ask where the bar is.

• posted by Bissell
    on

Evening Frog. Glad I caught you! I wanted to thank you for the almond crusted sea bass recipe you posted a while back. ( I think it was you) Just had it with cauli mash and green beans off the allotment for my supper and it was delicious. I’ve spent a long time trying to be a grown up and eat more fish and this was a good recipe to get me on track.
    Thanks

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Bissel – no, it wasn’t me, but I just tracked back and found the recommendation from weescotty
    I’m a bit lazy when it comes to cooking and recipes – although the place that runs the monthly cookery club that I go to is about to start a 12 week diabetic cookery course, so I plan to go to that, and a growbag to gourmet, which is about using seasonal vegetables – I think the idea is that if you do the growbag sessions you get involved with the vegetable garden too.

Please log in or register to post a reply.