Newbie support

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Everhopeful53
    on

Hi there well here I am hoping to gain some wisdom from this great community!
    I went to the GP in November 22 after feeling utterly dreadful for about 6 months, headaches tired foggy head angry and not at all myself….. put it down to the menopause, stress and lack of being able to exercise…. (Damaged Achilles for 18 month) WHAM … Bloods came back HB1ac 58….. was shocked as have always been a runner and very fit … cutting a longish story short GP requested more bloods Dec 2nd and between first HB test 17th Nov and second test 2nd dec levels were 55…. Ive been told they need to be 41 before they will be happy… Is this correct?
    In that time I cut out caffeine, alcohol and refined carbs and been trying to stick to between 800 and 1100 calories a day…. Up to an hours exercise a day (walking my dog) and just started jogging again (Achilles fixed)
    Lost 6lb to date still have 10lb to go for lowest target range….

I started the new way of eating 20th Nov and have been logging finger prick results on MySugr App which I’m finding helpful….and they were great right up until Xmas eve when it all went a bit wrong food wise…. So Ive had 2 days off the wagon… I woke up today feeling utterly dreadful and annoyed with myself, though the Xmas pudding was lovely……. Was 8.4 fasting this morning.

Fasting sugars are anything between 5 and 8.4 and I cant seem to find any consistency with these Is this normal?

I guess I just want some kind of a virtual hug to let me know Im on the right track as speaking to a GP who hadn’t even heard of the blood sugar diet was a bit scary. I also need to find a way to stay motivated with recipes etc as I do love food and cooking …

Thanks heaps all x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Here is a virtual hug. First of all be assured this diet does work and you will get things under control. Dont worry about the glitches you are seeing right now, this is not the time of year to keep to plan. 5 is okay and you know 8.4 is high. Let me just say I normally have a fasting of around 3.5 and I have come to visit family for Christmas and within 3 days I was running at 8.4 like you. I dont eat anything I shouldnt like cake or puddings but there is such a lot of crappy food around and nothing very healthy. I use insulin and have had to up my dose from 8 units to 24. I am not going to get upset about it and I know when I get home in a couple of days it will take me around 2 weeks to get back to normal.

I am sure you know to avoid the obvious carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta, breakfast cereal as well as sugars. There are some not so obvious like apples which have 29g carbs per apple. There is a visual you can find on www. thedietdoctor.com which is very helpful.

Dont be too hard on yourself, you will get your numbers down and might just have dodged the diabetic bullet. If you have any questions just ask away, there are some very experienced people on here.

• posted by Everhopeful53
    on

Thanks so much Sunshine-girl I honestly felt so rubbish first thing today but determined to keep going and lose the weight and get my fitness back.
    Honestly Im so pleased Ive found this community everyone seems so supportive …. Hey and there was me thinking apples were ok …. I will have a look at the website you suggested, thanks again x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Becky Gillespie is on YouTube as she has lots of free resources like a complete list of foods which she rates from red – never eat, through to green – eat freely. There is a similar list on http://www.realmealrevolution.com.

We normally have a weekly thread for all to join but I think we are changing it up for the new year to a new start on the Fast 800 for 8 weeks. You dont have to be on any particular plan (I personally do the BDS 800) anyone can join in.

Please log in or register to post a reply.